UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:35 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:Do you guys know if that 50% tuition applies to overall including all the yearly fees, or just class fees?

I believe it is half of everything shown here:
http://www.reg.uci.edu/fees/2010-2011/law.html

looks like we will be paying $20275.25 a year, or $10137.60 per semester, NOT including living expenses.

haha, yes.

I've added it up: $117k over three years accounting for expected tuition increases

Just, fyi:

Faesha

Postby Faesha » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Um. Dean Chemerinsky just called me. He wanted to know if I had any questions. It was sort of awkward just because I'm at work in a cube with a group of coworkers but hey, still really awesome of him :)

I asked if he knew whether they were done accepting people for the year and he said he didn't believe so. So don't get discouraged if you haven't gotten in!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Faesha wrote:Um. Dean Chemerinsky just called me. He wanted to know if I had any questions. It was sort of awkward just because I'm at work in a cube with a group of coworkers but hey, still really awesome of him :)

I asked if he knew whether they were done accepting people for the year and he said he didn't believe so. So don't get discouraged if you haven't gotten in!

:o

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:44 pm

lt0826 wrote:There are some apartments across from the school called Berkeley and Cornell and the like. They do all allow cats. Harvard and Cornell complexes are literally right across the street from the law school and also super close to Trader Joes and a movie theater and restaurants. But they are pricey and lack w/d in the unit. Ambrose seems to be walking distance to the school as well and has a W/D in unit (or out on patio) but again pricey. but when I spoke to the management company they said all their complexes allow cats and some allow dogs. Also Hotpads.com has private condos listed some which may allow cats.

For Irvine Land Co apts near campus: http://www.rental-living.com/Map-Search/Orange-County/

Great info, thanks, I'll have to check it out when I'm down there.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Is anyone else discouraged by the price tag?

It's hard weighing opportunities and different aspects that are important for me. One of those things, in this type of market, is going to be overall price. Even with the generous halfer it still remains one of my more expensive options.

.....makes me a little hesitant. Just want to be honest and see if I'm the only one feeling cautious...

But, I guess this is the risk we take?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:55 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Faesha wrote:Um. Dean Chemerinsky just called me. He wanted to know if I had any questions. It was sort of awkward just because I'm at work in a cube with a group of coworkers but hey, still really awesome of him :)

Whee! That possibly just made my day :) I bet they're waiting to see how many people register for ASD/submit SIRs.

Irvine, I'll wait for you <3

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:55 pm

msch0i wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Whee! That possibly just made my day :) I bet they're waiting to see how many people register for ASD/submit SIRs.

Irvine, I'll wait for you <3

+1

Faesha

Postby Faesha » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Veritas wrote:Is anyone else discouraged by the price tag?

It's hard weighing opportunities and different aspects that are important for me. One of those things, in this type of market, is going to be overall price. Even with the generous halfer it still remains one of my more expensive options.

.....makes me a little hesitant. Just want to be honest and see if I'm the only one feeling cautious...

Honestly it makes me nervous too. But I guess I'm of the opinion that Irvine has a lot of promise and I really do think the extra money will be worth it in the end. I'm going to be nervous going into debt at any school though, I can't avoid that. That's just something I've accepted will happen with going to law school.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:01 pm

Faesha wrote:

Honestly it makes me nervous too. But I guess I'm of the opinion that Irvine has a lot of promise and I really do think the extra money will be worth it in the end. I'm going to be nervous going into debt at any school though, I can't avoid that. That's just something I've accepted will happen with going to law school.

it's just scary. I would really love to stay in California, too............ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:05 pm

All depends on options and goals I think. For me, it is the cheapest option so far - schools have been somewhat stingy with $$ so far. And I asked around a bit to get impressions on the school from the legal world - it is real that there is no impression, but the school is known of, as is the staff. It really could be bust. It could be big. They are waiting to see what students/etc come out of it. That can be exciting or scary.

The thing I'm really liking is it seems the legal world is watching - you'd have their attention. Unlike if you even go to a lot of bigger/high ranked schools - they've been around so long, is anyone looking for a lightning bolt to shoot from Harvard? Are they really interested to see what law and econ ground Chicago breaks? They just expect similar to the past from there. If Irvine and its students just put out mediocre, the legal world will lose interest. If they do something extraordinary, really lead a direction in terms of scholarship, they will have the world watching and commenting. To me, that is an exciting opportunity that doesn't come often. And yes, a bit of a risk - but not as much for ones like me where the schol makes this the cheapest option.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Leiter just posted the top 10 in this year's scholarly impact rankings.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2010/03/new-scholarly-impact-study-forthcoming.html

Not bad at all.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:47 pm

pany1985 wrote:Leiter just posted the top 10 in this year's scholarly impact rankings.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2010/03/new-scholarly-impact-study-forthcoming.html

Not bad at all.

Very nice for UCI (on a side note I'm glad Davis made the T25.)

Yellowcard

Postby Yellowcard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:02 pm

Are they done admitting students or is there another round of acceptances to come?

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:06 pm

Yellowcard wrote:Are they done admitting students or is there another round of acceptances to come?

I have mercy on those where the answer is on a previous page... but seriously, 3 posts above yours shows the answer....

Sigh, No they are not done yet.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Inygma wrote:
Yellowcard wrote:Are they done admitting students or is there another round of acceptances to come?

I have mercy on those where the answer is on a previous page... but seriously, 3 posts above yours shows the answer....

he does that a lot. every school he applied for, he copy pasted the same questions on all threads. instead of just reading... or doing a search.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:09 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Inygma wrote:

he does that a lot. every school he applied for, he copy pasted the same questions on all threads. instead of just reading... or doing a search.

Bad times...

Any good news for you lately Final? I'm pulling for you.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Inygma wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Inygma wrote:

Bad times...

sadly no....

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:11 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Inygma wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Inygma wrote:I have mercy on those where the answer is on a previous page... but seriously, 3 posts above yours shows the answer....

Bad times...

sadly no....

Still a bit early, hopefully something by April.

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:21 pm

I heard the weather in Irvine is pretty good, but it must be cold from time to time, right? I'm just wondering becasue I can buy winter clothes with a great bargain in my country right now.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:23 pm

poslhs wrote:I heard the weather in Irvine is pretty good, but it must be cold from time to time, right? I'm just wondering becasue I can buy winter clothes with a great bargain in my country right now.

Depends on your definition of cold. 50's is the lowest it gets about, which is damn cold for us Southern Californians.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:25 pm

poslhs wrote:I heard the weather in Irvine is pretty good, but it must be cold from time to time, right? I'm just wondering becasue I can buy winter clothes with a great bargain in my country right now.

The coldest it'll get in Irvine on a seasonal basis is maybe mid-40s? I'm assuming the weather is similar to LA, and that's how it is here. It'll RARELY dip down to the low 40s..

So...it really depends on what you mean by "winter clothes" :lol:

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Not sure about Irvine, since it's a little closer to the coast, but in some parts of Orange County it gets to low 40s, upper 30s occasionally during the winter. But that's the coldest it'll get.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

protokurios wrote:Not sure about Irvine, since it's a little closer to the coast, but in some parts of Orange County it gets to low 40s, upper 30s occasionally during the winter. But that's the coldest it'll get.

This is rare though, I'd base winters off buying what makes you comfortable in 50s weather.

lebob

Postby lebob » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:35 pm

msch0i wrote:

The coldest it'll get in Irvine on a seasonal basis is maybe mid-40s? I'm assuming the weather is similar to LA, and that's how it is here. It'll RARELY dip down to the low 40s..

So...it really depends on what you mean by "winter clothes" :lol:

i lived around UCI for many years,
mid40s is the absolute coldest it'll EVER get, and only early in the morning or late at night. most of the time the coldest is 50s.

weather is awesome, campus is beautiful, people are beautiful (heh), but yea, some people even wear flip flops in the winter here. you'll need jackets and stuff, but you probably won't need a massive winter collection.

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:43 pm

40s in winter? Seriously? Even at night? That’s not winter in my country. I can be practically naked in that temperature and won’t be cold at all. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”