UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lobstar

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby lobstar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:36 pm

ruleser wrote:
lobstar wrote:VDC seems like it has more amenities (exercise and stuff, W/D in apartments, fridge with ice maker). PDS is new.

It's a tossup, so I just ranked them together. I'm sure they're both fine.

VDC has the pool/hot tub/club house/basketball court - PDS simply has priveleges to come over and use them.

Is there a water slide as well? I haven't been on one of those in ages.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:58 pm

lobstar wrote:
ruleser wrote:
lobstar wrote:VDC seems like it has more amenities (exercise and stuff, W/D in apartments, fridge with ice maker). PDS is new.

It's a tossup, so I just ranked them together. I'm sure they're both fine.

VDC has the pool/hot tub/club house/basketball court - PDS simply has priveleges to come over and use them.

Is there a water slide as well? I haven't been on one of those in ages.

No, but I have a feeling the combo of engineering students/med students/lawyers/etc will somehow manage to craft one at some point, at least a temprorary one to be used on occasion...

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:47 pm

Veritas wrote:Anyone thinking about taking the cheaper school maintained options? The price difference could be substantial.

What about roommates?

If I do UCI housing I will be going with the cheaper school maintained units - right across from the rec center for the win. Otherwise I will probably opt for something completely different. If hubby lands a good job we could maybe afford a nicer apartment or condo. And we both like the idea of living in Belmont Shores though it won't be as close to campus - commute won't be bad if I can score a used car with a carpool sticker. Hmm, I bet there are lots of Prius' on the market right now. . .

And I have a roommate for life :-) I recommend them - but make sure you get a good model.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 pm

ruleser wrote:
Veritas wrote:
ruleser wrote:
lobstar wrote:I put down puerta del sol as my #1 ... I hope I get it!

I got a full manual lever machine. The lever machines are super simple and easy to clean; I can't speak to the automatics. The Francis Francis semi-auto isn't bad, but full-auto isn't the way to go. A good machine is an investment, but I fully intend for this thing to last me for the next 20 years.

If you like a ritual, a La Pavoni lever is the way to go. It definitely pulls the best shots of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Why did you choose that one over the Vista del Campos?

Anyone thinking about taking the cheaper school maintained options? The price difference could be substantial.

What about roommates?

Well, I just found out that none of the new ones (Vistas/Puerto) allow cats, so those are out for me. Also just found out the two school maintained ones are reviewing their policies and might not allow cats in the fall. In which case that would rule out all on-campus housing for me. But seems Palo/Verano will be my only two options if I have an option.

There are some apartments across from the school called Berkeley and Cornell and the like. They do all allow cats. Harvard and Cornell complexes are literally right across the street from the law school and also super close to Trader Joes and a movie theater and restaurants. But they are pricey and lack w/d in the unit. Ambrose seems to be walking distance to the school as well and has a W/D in unit (or out on patio) but again pricey. but when I spoke to the management company they said all their complexes allow cats and some allow dogs. Also Hotpads.com has private condos listed some which may allow cats.

For Irvine Land Co apts near campus: http://www.rental-living.com/Map-Search/Orange-County/

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 am

lt0826 wrote:
Veritas wrote:Anyone thinking about taking the cheaper school maintained options? The price difference could be substantial.

What about roommates?

If I do UCI housing I will be going with the cheaper school maintained units - right across from the rec center for the win. Otherwise I will probably opt for something completely different. If hubby lands a good job we could maybe afford a nicer apartment or condo. And we both like the idea of living in Belmont Shores though it won't be as close to campus - commute won't be bad if I can score a used car with a carpool sticker. Hmm, I bet there are lots of Prius' on the market right now. . .

And I have a roommate for life :-) I recommend them - but make sure you get a good model.

When I went through the housing application, a notice popped up to warn that availability in PV and VP is extremely limited, which worried me that the better placements were already taken.

Also, I wonder what the utility costs are, since they aren't included. Also, I think the housing guarantee only applies to those 5 dorms.

Get a prius if you can. I drive a second gen (no problems ... yet) and will continue to do so, right up until I blame the accelerator to get out of the vehic manslaughter charge. :twisted: jkjkjk

I'm waiting for THE SUMMER OF THE KILLER CAR, since evidently we haven't heard of many shark attacks recently.

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:08 am

Last edited by DoctorNick189 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 am

lobstar wrote:
Get a prius if you can. I drive a second gen (no problems ... yet) and will continue to do so, right up until I blame the accelerator to get out of the vehic manslaughter charge. :twisted: jkjkjk

I'm waiting for THE SUMMER OF THE KILLER CAR, since evidently we haven't heard of many shark attacks recently.

When I heard the news about that Prius reaching 90mph because of the stuck accelerator pedal, my first thoughts were 1) wow I'm glad no one got hurt then...2) OMG a Prius hit 94mph?! then...3) WHAT WAS THE DRIVER DOING DURING THE TIME IT TOOK FOR THE PRIUS TO HIT 94MPH?!

Then I read that it was going at that speed for around 20 minutes. I quickly lost faith in California drivers.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:25 am

Meet me and you'll meet the most aggressive prius driver this side of the mississippi.

They go pretty fast - trust me. Al Gore's son got pulled over going past 100 mph in his prius.

http://www.slate.com/id/2169925/

Remove the top speed limiter and you're in business! 150 mph here we goooooooooooooo

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:37 pm

msch0i wrote:
lobstar wrote:

When I heard the news about that Prius reaching 90mph because of the stuck accelerator pedal, my first thoughts were 1) wow I'm glad no one got hurt then...2) OMG a Prius hit 94mph?! then...3) WHAT WAS THE DRIVER DOING DURING THE TIME IT TOOK FOR THE PRIUS TO HIT 94MPH?!

Then I read that it was going at that speed for around 20 minutes. I quickly lost faith in California drivers.

LOL, seriously, was his accelerator stuck for 2 hours? He must of not been in LA, you can't drive 10 mph for 2 minutes without having to stop.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Missed call. 949 number. Almost fainted. Sooo not Dean Ortiz-but rather work related. fml :cry:

waitingfor1L

Postby waitingfor1L » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Is it true you can't transfer out since it isn't accredited yet? Read that somewhere else

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:59 pm

waitingfor1L wrote:Is it true you can't transfer out since it isn't accredited yet? Read that somewhere else

depends on the school. some schools accept provisionally accredited, some don't. irvine should get provisionally accredited this year...

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Vista Campo v. Vista Campo Norte

Can't find any information its distinguished features. Is it simply two of the same in different locals?

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:10 pm

finalaspects wrote:
waitingfor1L wrote:Is it true you can't transfer out since it isn't accredited yet? Read that somewhere else

depends on the school. some schools accept provisionally accredited, some don't. irvine should get provisionally accredited this year...

You probably read that on my post...

I know that you CANNOT transfer from UCI to USC. Im guessing that is the answer you will get from most schools.

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Inygma wrote:
msch0i wrote:
lobstar wrote:

LOL, seriously, was his accelerator stuck for 2 hours? He must of not been in LA, you can't drive 10 mph for 2 minutes without having to stop.

He was in the San Diego area. As for what he was trying to do while it got up to 94, who knows. He says he was laying on his brakes the whole time and even tried to use his hand to free the stuck accelerator pedal. But once he was at 94 mph, I'm sure it was pretty stressful weaving through lanes trying to avoid hitting other cars. Hard to think about how to stop a car when you're overtaking other cars at 30 mph.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Hm, last year they started WLing applicants right around this time. Wonder if we'll hear anything this week..

FuzzyKiwi

Postby FuzzyKiwi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Can someone confirm the location of Puerta del Sol for me please? the UCI campus map puts it right across from the law school, next to VP. Is that right? The PDS website maps it right in the middle of VDC and VDCN. That's probably just the leasing office, right?

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:55 pm

My cousin sent me this. I laughed for a minute straight. True story.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:04 pm

At least his law degree taught him to write creatively...

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:19 pm

that JD for sale was listed on ebay as well. ATL reported it about 2 weeks ago.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:38 pm

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Veritas wrote:http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/

good showing, UCI!

Saw that too! Awesome. You admits are very lucky :D

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Do you guys know if that 50% tuition applies to overall including all the yearly fees, or just class fees?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:30 pm

SandyC877 wrote:Do you guys know if that 50% tuition applies to overall including all the yearly fees, or just class fees?

I believe it is half of everything shown here:
http://www.reg.uci.edu/fees/2010-2011/law.html

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Veritas wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:Do you guys know if that 50% tuition applies to overall including all the yearly fees, or just class fees?

I believe it is half of everything shown here:
http://www.reg.uci.edu/fees/2010-2011/law.html

looks like we will be paying $20275.25 a year, or $10137.60 per semester, NOT including living expenses.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”