UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msch0i

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby msch0i » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Veritas wrote:
lobstar wrote:
msch0i wrote:
NiGhTHaWk830 wrote:You could call my living space a closet, and I live with another person, to boot. I also prepare all my meals - I don't ever get Starbucks or anything, and groceries are REALLY cheap if you plan ahead and save coupons. But hey, you could theoretically live at Verano Place at $333/mo + whatever you spend for food and still not even get close to $11k/9mo.

You're going to need to in law school :wink:

Buying an espresso machine was the best money I've ever spent, and I have a feeling it'll be keeping me very close company in law school. Starbucks is fine, I suppose, but it's not like I can shoot it into my veins. :twisted: besides, making your own coffee is much cheaper.

I've gotta rep my heritage with a cuppa tea twice a day. Cheaper and just all around better :mrgreen:

But not nearly enough caffeine content to satisfy a law student :lol:

Although tea is awesome and I do prefer it over coffee. Sometimes.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 pm

msch0i wrote:
But not nearly enough caffeine content to satisfy a law student :lol:

Although tea is awesome and I do prefer it over coffee. Sometimes.

Does the trick for me! The hard thing is getting a decent brand....

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:35 pm

lobstar wrote:
msch0i wrote:
NiGhTHaWk830 wrote:You could call my living space a closet, and I live with another person, to boot. I also prepare all my meals - I don't ever get Starbucks or anything, and groceries are REALLY cheap if you plan ahead and save coupons. But hey, you could theoretically live at Verano Place at $333/mo + whatever you spend for food and still not even get close to $11k/9mo.

You're going to need to in law school :wink:

Buying an espresso machine was the best money I've ever spent, and I have a feeling it'll be keeping me very close company in law school. Starbucks is fine, I suppose, but it's not like I can shoot it into my veins. :twisted: besides, making your own coffee is much cheaper.

man you would be my best friend.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:59 pm

I've got some pretty strong earl grey. I tried grinding up some caffeine pills and brewing those in, but if you remember your chemistry class, caffeine is only slightly soluble in water. I just opted to wash the pills down with the tea. :?

I bet this is what Veritas looks like.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:22 pm

lobstar wrote:I've got some pretty strong earl grey. I tried grinding up some caffeine pills and brewing those in, but if you remember your chemistry class, caffeine is only slightly soluble in water. I just opted to wash the pills down with the tea. :?

I bet this is what Veritas looks like.

:shock: I didn't give permission to share my personal photos!

(and eww at the caffeine pill/tea concoction) No Early Grey, just English Black Tea.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Happy to do espresso with Lobstar in the AM and afternoon tea with Veritas anytime. I love both tea and coffee. Even thought about opening up a tea room in Ashland, Oregon before deciding on law school. I am still amazed that a city with a Shakespeare festival does not have a tea room on its main drag for after matinee high tea and just lunch/tea in general.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:53 pm

lobstar wrote:Buying an espresso machine was the best money I've ever spent, and I have a feeling it'll be keeping me very close company in law school. Starbucks is fine, I suppose, but it's not like I can shoot it into my veins. :twisted: besides, making your own coffee is much cheaper.

So which housing complex are you going with? :wink:

I've lusted after the super expensive automatic easy to clean espresso machines at Williams Sonoma. I think I am too lazy to get a smaller cheaper espresso machine. Too many small parts to clean.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:54 pm

lt0826 wrote:Happy to do espresso with Lobstar in the AM and afternoon tea with Veritas anytime. I love both tea and coffee. Even thought about opening up a tea room in Ashland, Oregon before deciding on law school. I am still amazed that a city with a Shakespeare festival does not have a tea room on its main drag for after matinee high tea and just lunch/tea in general.

<3, I'll make sure to pack extra

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:11 pm

I put down puerta del sol as my #1 ... I hope I get it!

I got a full manual lever machine. The lever machines are super simple and easy to clean; I can't speak to the automatics. The Francis Francis semi-auto isn't bad, but full-auto isn't the way to go. A good machine is an investment, but I fully intend for this thing to last me for the next 20 years.

If you like a ritual, a La Pavoni lever is the way to go. It definitely pulls the best shots of all time. OF ALL TIME!

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Last edited by DoctorNick189 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Wait, is this law school or some posh resort - fresh-pressed espressos, afternoon tea, jacuzzi's at the residence...

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:35 pm

lobstar wrote:I put down puerta del sol as my #1 ... I hope I get it!

I got a full manual lever machine. The lever machines are super simple and easy to clean; I can't speak to the automatics. The Francis Francis semi-auto isn't bad, but full-auto isn't the way to go. A good machine is an investment, but I fully intend for this thing to last me for the next 20 years.

If you like a ritual, a La Pavoni lever is the way to go. It definitely pulls the best shots of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Why did you choose that one over the Vista del Campos?

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:45 pm

ruleser wrote:

It's brand new and predominantly single occupancy apartments. After my roommate disasters in college (and living in temp housing, i.e. trailer), I can't do roommates again. I mulled over the other furnished apartments and opted for PDS because I figured a brand new complex can't be a bad choice, even though it appears it has fewer on-site amenities. VDC and VDC:N are my second and third choices. Honestly, though, I'm sure they're all fine.

Did you hear about the ruckus over giving out guaranteed housing, causing some people to be continuously passed up on the waitlist?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 pm

ruleser wrote:

Anyone thinking about taking the cheaper school maintained options? The price difference could be substantial.

What about roommates?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 pm

lobstar wrote:
ruleser wrote:

It's brand new and predominantly single occupancy apartments. After my roommate disasters in college (and living in temp housing, i.e. trailer), I can't do roommates again. I mulled over the other furnished apartments and opted for PDS because I figured a brand new complex can't be a bad choice, even though it appears it has fewer on-site amenities. VDC and VDC:N are my second and third choices. Honestly, though, I'm sure they're all fine.

Did you hear about the ruckus over giving out guaranteed housing, causing some people to be continuously passed up on the waitlist?

Like people who are not part of the guaranteed deal?

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Yea, google "irvine guaranteed housing" or something. Evidently they're doing it to lure grad students, but some (not sure who) are upset because it pushes them down the list.

The roommate savings was not significant enough to me to outweigh the cost of having to live with a stranger. Way too much risk for me, especially with a fridge and stove. I'm not a neat freak, but I draw the line at spaghetti-o's glued to every surface in the kitchen.

If the cost fell by 50% with a roommate, that might entice me. But, knowing that I am far more misanthropic than most, living with a roommate would significantly impact my studies ... negatively. If I'm going to go for law school, I'm going to do it right.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Veritas wrote:
ruleser wrote:

Anyone thinking about taking the cheaper school maintained options? The price difference could be substantial.

What about roommates?

Well, I just found out that none of the new ones (Vistas/Puerto) allow cats, so those are out for me. Also just found out the two school maintained ones are reviewing their policies and might not allow cats in the fall. In which case that would rule out all on-campus housing for me. But seems Palo/Verano will be my only two options if I have an option.

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Last edited by DoctorNick189 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:00 pm

TBH, I didn't look into the pet policy, but when I was filling out the questionnaire, it asked if I smoked or had pets, and if I was willing to live with anyone who did or had either.

And I agree with DoctorNick. Studio also not bad.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:09 pm

lobstar wrote:TBH, I didn't look into the pet policy, but when I was filling out the questionnaire, it asked if I smoked or had pets, and if I was willing to live with anyone who did or had either.

And I agree with DoctorNick. Studio also not bad.

Well, since the ones that already accept pets will likely grandfather in people already with them, I'd have to ask to the Dean to do some leaning and see if she can't get one last one in - I'm sure they don't want to mess with the legal team this law school has :)

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:23 pm

If you get VDC Norte, I have to warn you about the 292 building. There are these fire alarms that go off quite a lot. Okay, maybe they don't go off THAT much, but it definitely feels like it when they wake you up at 7am in the morning a good number of times.

The internet in VDC Norte also kind of sucks. I got used to it when I lived there, but that's just me.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm

What's the most luxurious campus housing option? I haven't been to UCI yet so I can only speculate based on the prices.

Also, which housing community should I try to avoid?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm

SandyC877 wrote:What's the most luxurious campus housing option? I haven't been to UCI yet so I can only speculate based on the prices.

Also, which housing community should I try to avoid?

I think Puerto Del Sol will be the nicest, considering it is brand new.

But, VDC has W/D in the apartment, which is nice.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:59 pm

VDC seems like it has more amenities (exercise and stuff, W/D in apartments, fridge with ice maker). PDS is new.

It's a tossup, so I just ranked them together. I'm sure they're both fine.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:08 pm

lobstar wrote:VDC seems like it has more amenities (exercise and stuff, W/D in apartments, fridge with ice maker). PDS is new.

It's a tossup, so I just ranked them together. I'm sure they're both fine.

VDC has the pool/hot tub/club house/basketball court - PDS simply has priveleges to come over and use them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”