UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dontstopbelivin
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby dontstopbelivin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:44 pm

njskatchmo wrote:
lobstar wrote:I won't be going to ASD ... since I'll be visiting tomorrow. PM me if you want to be name dropped =D

The SNA Hilton is a good bet, and it was $99/night, which is less than the price quoted by UCI. Just call and say you're coming for a meeting, and they'll give you the corporate code. Included wifi and parking ($12.95 and $14.95, respectively).

P.S. aren't hotels like $400 a night in NYC?


Thanks for the info. Anything I can save would be really helpful. Hotels are expensive in NYC, but thankfully I have never had to stay in one.

All I need is a place to sleep, I don't care about amenities.


Just a heads-up: the Radisson listed in the UCI ASD packet is the same price ($99/night) and also has free self-parking and free wifi. Worth the less-nice hotel to save the extra fees, IMO.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby gymboree » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:15 pm

to save money make sure the hotel has the shuttle to/from UCI and the John Wayne Airport (no rental car necessary).

ViP
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby ViP » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:27 pm

I've noticed quite a few people here are out-of-staters.

Could you guys/ladies tell me if there's any buzz around Irvine in the city you're from? I'm from socal, so the hype I've heard is hardly surprising. I'd like to know if the word has spread at all throughout the legal world outside of California...

User avatar
dontstopbelivin
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby dontstopbelivin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:57 pm

ViP wrote:I've noticed quite a few people here are out-of-staters.

Could you guys/ladies tell me if there's any buzz around Irvine in the city you're from? I'm from socal, so the hype I've heard is hardly surprising. I'd like to know if the word has spread at all throughout the legal world outside of California...


I learned about UC Irvine from my relatives in the legal field in Texas, who read about it in last summer's article in the ABA Journal (http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/irvine_by_erwin?from=slider). While the buzz hasn't quite reached the east coast (I'm in DC, and most people here have NO idea what I'm talking about), it's definitely spread beyond SoCal.

User avatar
lt0826
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:58 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby lt0826 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:00 pm

ViP wrote:I've noticed quite a few people here are out-of-staters.

Could you guys/ladies tell me if there's any buzz around Irvine in the city you're from? I'm from socal, so the hype I've heard is hardly surprising. I'd like to know if the word has spread at all throughout the legal world outside of California...


My friends at Duke Law spoke of the buzz but then again, Irvine got Chemerinsky from them. Also a law professor I know at Hastings mentioned them as well. He sd some risk with new law school, but a lot of buzz around Irvine and less risk than any other new school he can think of.

eroica10
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby eroica10 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:03 am

lobstar wrote:I won't be going to ASD ... since I'll be visiting tomorrow. PM me if you want to be name dropped =D

The SNA Hilton is a good bet, and it was $99/night, which is less than the price quoted by UCI. Just call and say you're coming for a meeting, and they'll give you the corporate code. Included wifi and parking ($12.95 and $14.95, respectively).

P.S. aren't hotels like $400 a night in NYC?



How long it takes for the package to arrive? Do they send it as soon as they have made the decision?

via Fedex or snailmail?

many thanks:)

njskatchmo
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby njskatchmo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:34 am

Mine took a little over a week from when I got the phone call. As far as buzz, very few people even know about it from those that I've talked to.

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby pany1985 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:20 pm

It's definitely got a much stronger "wow" factor in SoCal (and Orange County especially, where everyone in the legal community is pretty obviously jazzed to have a top law school in their backyard) than anywhere else. I'm from the east coast and it's more of a "huh?" than a "wow" when I talk to people back there. Of course, it all depends who you talk to. Some people (those who follow the goings-on of law and law schools) know exactly what I'm talking about and some people (idiots) would still be saying "huh?" if I was talking about Berkeley or Stanford... although I think most people anywhere, regardless of their knowledge of law schools, would see the "UC" in front of the Irvine and figure it's a pretty solid school just from that. And that's when they'll ask "So where's Irvine?" But I can't blame them, because they're 3000 miles away and the chance of them ever having a need to know where Irvine is for any reason is pretty slim.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby wired » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:49 pm

pany1985 wrote:It's definitely got a much stronger "wow" factor in SoCal (and Orange County especially, where everyone in the legal community is pretty obviously jazzed to have a top law school in their backyard) than anywhere else. I'm from the east coast and it's more of a "huh?" than a "wow" when I talk to people back there. Of course, it all depends who you talk to. Some people (those who follow the goings-on of law and law schools) know exactly what I'm talking about and some people (idiots) would still be saying "huh?" if I was talking about Berkeley or Stanford... although I think most people anywhere, regardless of their knowledge of law schools, would see the "UC" in front of the Irvine and figure it's a pretty solid school just from that. And that's when they'll ask "So where's Irvine?" But I can't blame them, because they're 3000 miles away and the chance of them ever having a need to know where Irvine is for any reason is pretty slim.


I only knew where Irvine was because of the Arrested Development episode when Uncle Oscar tries to do his annual trek from Orange County to Berkeley. The furthest he ever made it was UC Irvine.

Also, I have given up all hope on UCI. I tried my best to get in, but at this point, my wife and I have to start making decisions about going elsewhere. It was fun while I thought I had a chance.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby msch0i » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Don't give up hope, wired! :( I'm sure more decisions will be coming soon!!!

(but it does suck that none of us know where we're going to be at all in 6 months, doesn't it? :| As for me...I'll throw a party even if I get a WL...)

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby SandyC877 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:40 pm

msch0i wrote:Don't give up hope, wired! :( I'm sure more decisions will be coming soon!!!

(but it does suck that none of us know where we're going to be at all in 6 months, doesn't it? :| As for me...I'll throw a party even if I get a WL...)


can I ask why you are so bent on UCI? also, you can just list your GPA/LSAT here and a few obvious-to-adcoms-but-not-to-TLS-infos, and show the adcoms who are probably reading this thread how enthusiastic you are about wanting to go there.

ss87ss
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby ss87ss » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:11 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by ss87ss on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yellowcard
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Yellowcard » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 pm

So is UCI done accepting students for this upcoming year? I feel like I applied a long time ago and have really heard nothing. No wait list. No acceptance. No rejection. I think my numbers are probably good enough to get in, but it's just been a long time since I've heard anything. Any then when you e-mail their admissions office they say they cannot give out any information at all. They can't tell me whether I am complete, under review, or even if they have received my application.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:15 pm

according to last year's lsn, if we don't hear by this month, it'll be a rejection...

i wonder what irvine's 25/75 numbers are... if we knew it might give us a better idea on how they use splitters and reverse splitters...

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby msch0i » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:32 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
msch0i wrote:Don't give up hope, wired! :( I'm sure more decisions will be coming soon!!!

(but it does suck that none of us know where we're going to be at all in 6 months, doesn't it? :| As for me...I'll throw a party even if I get a WL...)


can I ask why you are so bent on UCI? also, you can just list your GPA/LSAT here and a few obvious-to-adcoms-but-not-to-TLS-infos, and show the adcoms who are probably reading this thread how enthusiastic you are about wanting to go there.


I'm interested in UCI for all of the same reasons as anyone else here, but specifically because of its rising prominence in Orange County. I'm personally looking into going into some type of public service, pro bono or under the government, and hearing from current 1Ls and an admissions officer that students have secured summer clerkships within the government sectors (district court, 9th circuit, etc) really draws me to the school :D I'm also very much tied to Orange County and have family obligations there that would be a lot easier for me to meet if I were living around Irvine.

User avatar
lt0826
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:58 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby lt0826 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 pm

FYI, visiting the campus on Weds. Will sit in on Chemerinsky class and Moran class.

If you have any questions you want me to ask let me know and I will try to get answers when I am there.

I will also be there for ASD but thought it would be a good idea to visit the campus on a random day as well.

User avatar
1800calturk
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby 1800calturk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:39 pm

SIR deadline is April 15, if that helps any of you. I cant imagine you won't hear back well before than date, so you probably only have a month to go.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:55 pm

the more i read about irvine, the more attractive it gets. we all know they will place pretty high among the rankings when eventually ranked. their faculty is top notch and all the students seem to love the school. and who wouldn't want to be one of the earliest students who get to partake in generating the school's culture, reputation, and feel. the 50% tuition seems like an extra perk.

User avatar
lobstar
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:05 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby lobstar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:12 am

Currently on the plane back up to norcal, after a fantastic weekend in Irvine.

Want to know what I thought of my visit? I'm going to put pen to the SIR sitting on my desk when I get back (hi Dean Ortiz).

Chemerinsky and Moran both had really fun classes. Perhaps I'm used to all the legalese from my undergrad, but I found them particularly lucid. Not to mention Chemerinsky is a notorious punster, which I <3. Moran was very high energy as well.

I also really liked Brian, Dave, Dave, Jean, Jane, Jessica, Sam, Diana, Jeff, Tracey, Xenia, Christina, Jenny, and two people whose names I will butcher (Esra and Aukervie? mea culpa :oops: ). Definitely not your average cutthroat law school crowd. Everyone was incredibly genuine and a pleasure to be with, although it may have been a self-selecting group at Steelhead Brewery. They had just turned in a big writing project, and seemed really burnt, but still took the time to talk to me.

Welp, landing now. Will write more later.

ViP
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby ViP » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:35 am

lobstar wrote:Currently on the plane back up to norcal, after a fantastic weekend in Irvine.

Want to know what I thought of my visit? I'm going to put pen to the SIR sitting on my desk when I get back (hi Dean Ortiz).

Chemerinsky and Moran both had really fun classes. Perhaps I'm used to all the legalese from my undergrad, but I found them particularly lucid. Not to mention Chemerinsky is a notorious punster, which I <3. Moran was very high energy as well.

I also really liked Brian, Dave, Dave, Jean, Jane, Jessica, Sam, Diana, Jeff, Tracey, Xenia, Christina, Jenny, and two people whose names I will butcher (Esra and Aukervie? mea culpa :oops: ). Definitely not your average cutthroat law school crowd. Everyone was incredibly genuine and a pleasure to be with, although it may have been a self-selecting group at Steelhead Brewery. They had just turned in a big writing project, and seemed really burnt, but still took the time to talk to me.

Welp, landing now. Will write more later.


Sounds awesome, lobstar.

I can't wait to hear more info about your trip. Was there a moment during your trip that sealed the deal for you? Which school(s) are you pushing aside for UCI?

User avatar
lt0826
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:58 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby lt0826 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:15 am

lobstar wrote:Currently on the plane back up to norcal, after a fantastic weekend in Irvine.

Want to know what I thought of my visit? I'm going to put pen to the SIR sitting on my desk when I get back (hi Dean Ortiz).

Chemerinsky and Moran both had really fun classes. Perhaps I'm used to all the legalese from my undergrad, but I found them particularly lucid. Not to mention Chemerinsky is a notorious punster, which I <3. Moran was very high energy as well.

I also really liked Brian, Dave, Dave, Jean, Jane, Jessica, Sam, Diana, Jeff, Tracey, Xenia, Christina, Jenny, and two people whose names I will butcher (Esra and Aukervie? mea culpa :oops: ). Definitely not your average cutthroat law school crowd. Everyone was incredibly genuine and a pleasure to be with, although it may have been a self-selecting group at Steelhead Brewery. They had just turned in a big writing project, and seemed really burnt, but still took the time to talk to me.

Welp, landing now. Will write more later.


Wow - what other schools have you visited so far? Curious who UCI got compared to? Looking forward to my visit on Weds - I sit in on the same 2 classes.

User avatar
1800calturk
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby 1800calturk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:46 am

Also curious what schools you're rejecting for UCI. I'm jealous of your trip, it sounded amazing! I'm debating scheduling my own independent trip instead of ASD, i feel like I'm looking for more of a sample of the actual school experience over a choreographed all day extravaganza.

User avatar
lt0826
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:58 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby lt0826 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:16 am

1800calturk wrote:Also curious what schools you're rejecting for UCI. I'm jealous of your trip, it sounded amazing! I'm debating scheduling my own independent trip instead of ASD, i feel like I'm looking for more of a sample of the actual school experience over a choreographed all day extravaganza.


Something to be said for doing both if you can afford the time and cost. I figure a regular visit will give me more of the campus feel. And ASD will also allow me to meet some of my classmates.

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:29 am

I am most likely going to send in my SIR by this weekend as well. I applied to about 12 schools and Irvine is the only school I've heard back from thus far. I have about 11 more schools to hear back from. This year's cycle has been rather slow for me, and it seems though I will be forced to make a decision before all my options pan out.

User avatar
1800calturk
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby 1800calturk » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 am

If you can spare a few hundred bucks, the deposit isn't a contract to attend - it's a deposit. I think you can rescind your acceptance by forfeiting your deposit. Shitty deal, but if you get into a T14 you love after April 15, you won't be stuck. Also it's a mean thing to do to the school and to WL, but it's not your fault if schools just aren't getting back to you in time.

As for going to both a personal visit and the ASD, if I decide UCI for sure before the ASD I will do both, but otherwise the money might be spent better elsewhere. I have to book two nights at a hotel for ASD, which means an extra $200. The travel stipend covers half of my flight. All this and I'm not even spending a dime to visit any other school.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”