UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scolinos

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby scolinos » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:05 am

Oh, I was wondering about that but hadn't looked into it. Alrighty, I'm a longshot but everyone hope for the best!

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:08 am

sdegarmo wrote:same on the emails received

i think it may take longer than a month to start hearing back (aside from auto admits) as i have heard that they dont do rolling

According to LSN, out of the ones that indicated a decision, most of the admits came in late January and the rejections came in April (with very few wait lists scattered about the middle). I'd be interested to know what happened to the users that never updated...

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 am

UCI isn't showing up on LSAC...am I blind or what?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:37 am

Mroberts3 wrote:UCI isn't showing up on LSAC...am I blind or what?

It's listed under the non-ABA member schools.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:03 am

I'm trying to figure out how I'll hear from Irvine...I'm stalking previous Irvine applicants on LSN and I guess they communicate by snail mail and phone only? Can anyone confirm?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:44 am

msch0i wrote:I'm trying to figure out how I'll hear from Irvine...I'm stalking previous Irvine applicants on LSN and I guess they communicate by snail mail and phone only? Can anyone confirm?

ms. choi your avatar doesn't suit you as being a stalker. but yea from what i have heard/read, it seems it it is only through phone calls or snail mail.

I guess they're too new to start implementing online status check. Are you very much considering irvine if accepted?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:53 pm

finalaspects wrote:
msch0i wrote:I'm trying to figure out how I'll hear from Irvine...I'm stalking previous Irvine applicants on LSN and I guess they communicate by snail mail and phone only? Can anyone confirm?

ms. choi your avatar doesn't suit you as being a stalker. but yea from what i have heard/read, it seems it it is only through phone calls or snail mail.

I guess they're too new to start implementing online status check. Are you very much considering irvine if accepted?

Having to wait months for law school decisions would reduce even the jolly Fraulein Maria to a stalker :lol: But YES. I'd take Irvine in a heartbeat, especially since I've been WLed at UCLA along with 189175 people and don't plan on hearing good news from them. It seems like a very welcoming environment and everyone there that I've heard from seems to love it so far. I wish I had a better idea of what kind of applicants they'll be looking for this year, though I know that my chances are nonetheless still very slim :?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

msch0i wrote:Having to wait months for law school decisions would reduce even the jolly Fraulein Maria to a stalker :lol: But YES. I'd take Irvine in a heartbeat, especially since I've been WLed at UCLA along with 189175 people and don't plan on hearing good news from them. It seems like a very welcoming environment and everyone there that I've heard from seems to love it so far. I wish I had a better idea of what kind of applicants they'll be looking for this year, though I know that my chances are nonetheless still very slim :?

was retaking the LSAT not an option? You have a very high GPA which California schools loves, and that includes all UC's. If you got a few points higher on the LSAT even berkeley would start being an option for you.

for people like me who are the opposite of you... i can't raise my GPA anymore so im kind of screwed... but you can raise your LSAT.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:47 pm

I actually got a phone call from Dean Chemerinsky last year, but I be he has more important things to do now.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:50 pm

jcl2 wrote:

I actually got a phone call from Dean Chemerinsky last year, but I be he has more important things to do now.

More important than attracting a strong pool of students just like last year, so they can rank high when they start off, which will most likely decide the fate of the entire law school program at irvine?

A lot of T14 schools' deans call personally. What can be more important?

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:02 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jcl2 wrote:

More important than attracting a strong pool of students just like last year, so they can rank high when they start off, which will most likely decide the fate of the entire law school program at irvine?

A lot of T14 schools' deans call personally. What can be more important?

That may be, I guess I just meant he is probably busier this year. He might still call some or all of the admitted students personally, I have no idea. I think calls from the dean of admissions are not all that uncommon, but I haven't heard of a lot of schools where the dean of the law school calls most or all admitted students. That is a lot of phone calls.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:40 pm

finalaspects wrote:
msch0i wrote:Having to wait months for law school decisions would reduce even the jolly Fraulein Maria to a stalker :lol: But YES. I'd take Irvine in a heartbeat, especially since I've been WLed at UCLA along with 189175 people and don't plan on hearing good news from them. It seems like a very welcoming environment and everyone there that I've heard from seems to love it so far. I wish I had a better idea of what kind of applicants they'll be looking for this year, though I know that my chances are nonetheless still very slim :?

was retaking the LSAT not an option? You have a very high GPA which California schools loves, and that includes all UC's. If you got a few points higher on the LSAT even berkeley would start being an option for you.

for people like me who are the opposite of you... i can't raise my GPA anymore so im kind of screwed... but you can raise your LSAT.

Yes unfortunately retaking the LSAT was not an option. Planning to take the June exam and get off to a better start for the next cycle. I'm just hoping that Irvine will be splitter-friendly. I feel as though applicants that qualify in both of their medians would have gotten scholarships to T20 schools and especially this year, without the 100% scholarship lure, there will be room for more splitters like us :D

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:44 pm

msch0i wrote:Yes unfortunately retaking the LSAT was not an option. Planning to take the June exam and get off to a better start for the next cycle. I'm just hoping that Irvine will be splitter-friendly. I feel as though applicants that qualify in both of their medians would have gotten scholarships to T20 schools and especially this year, without the 100% scholarship lure, there will be room for more splitters like us :D

Yea most definitely, that's what im hoping for! good luck ms. reverse splitter!

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:36 am

now, they are not yet ABA accredited, correct? or provisionally? I'm certain they will be fully accredited soon as they have the financial resources to make that happen and the students are intelligent enough to pass the bar exam. but even if the accreditation takes a year or 2, where does that leave those who started now? i mean they will be able to sit for the bar in california no matter what but it would be a shame to pay that much money and not be able to sit for the bar elsewhere. if they get the accreditation while the law students are there are they automatically covered and can sit for the bar anywhere?

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:39 am

Not currently ABA accredited, but almost 100% sure they will be by time the first entering class is ready to graduate

gocubs2010

Postby gocubs2010 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:41 am

hans3n wrote:Not currently ABA accredited, but almost 100% sure they will be by time the first entering class is ready to graduate

there is no doubt. I think they would almost have to try to fail to get the accreditation by that point. but i was just wondering how that affects the students who start before the accreditation.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:49 am

gocubs2010 wrote:now, they are not yet ABA accredited, correct? or provisionally? I'm certain they will be fully accredited soon as they have the financial resources to make that happen and the students are intelligent enough to pass the bar exam. but even if the accreditation takes a year or 2, where does that leave those who started now? i mean they will be able to sit for the bar in california no matter what but it would be a shame to pay that much money and not be able to sit for the bar elsewhere. if they get the accreditation while the law students are there are they automatically covered and can sit for the bar anywhere?

"Under ABA rules, a law school may be considered for accreditation in its second year of operation. We will seek provisional accreditation from the American Bar Association in 2010-2011.

A student at a provisionally approved law school and an individual who graduates while the school is provisionally approved are entitled to the same recognition given to students and graduates of fully approved law schools. After at least two years of provisional approval, a fully compliant school can be granted full accreditation. The law school makes no representation to any applicant that it will be approved by the American Bar Association prior to the graduation of any matriculating student."

I don't think it'll be much of a problem.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:44 pm

msch0i wrote:"Under ABA rules, a law school may be considered for accreditation in its second year of operation. We will seek provisional accreditation from the American Bar Association in 2010-2011.

A student at a provisionally approved law school and an individual who graduates while the school is provisionally approved are entitled to the same recognition given to students and graduates of fully approved law schools. After at least two years of provisional approval, a fully compliant school can be granted full accreditation. The law school makes no representation to any applicant that it will be approved by the American Bar Association prior to the graduation of any matriculating student."

I have no doubt that Irvine will get provisional and full accreditation when time comes. But nonetheless, the earlier students will have a few issues. I believe the students that are there before a provisional is granted by still need to take a exam at the end of the year because you attended when it was not accredited. Minor problem though.

The larger issue is that early attendees have almost no chance of transferring to another law school. Schools like UCLA, Berkeley, and Stanford requires you to come from ABA approved schools. Berkeley doesn't even accept provisional accreditation. So if one decides to attend Irvine at the moment, it will be for the long term.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 pm

msch0i wrote:
gocubs2010 wrote:now, they are not yet ABA accredited, correct? or provisionally? I'm certain they will be fully accredited soon as they have the financial resources to make that happen and the students are intelligent enough to pass the bar exam. but even if the accreditation takes a year or 2, where does that leave those who started now? i mean they will be able to sit for the bar in california no matter what but it would be a shame to pay that much money and not be able to sit for the bar elsewhere. if they get the accreditation while the law students are there are they automatically covered and can sit for the bar anywhere?

"Under ABA rules, a law school may be considered for accreditation in its second year of operation. We will seek provisional accreditation from the American Bar Association in 2010-2011.

To add fuel to the fire here, certain federal jobs require ABA accreditation. The military is included in that.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:54 pm

mhernton wrote:To add fuel to the fire here, certain federal jobs require ABA accreditation. The military is included in that.

I wonder if provisional accreditation is acceptable. All graduates of UC Irvine will at least have provisional accreditation if all goes to plan. (little reason to believe that it won't)

However full accreditation will at least take 3-5 years minimum. So it will not help us (applying this year) in almost any way.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:58 pm

But, if all goes well, won't Irvine be accredited by the time the second incoming class graduates? (I guess this depends on when they receive "provisional approval"...) Unless I'm missing something? If not, this might be a problem for some students of the first graduating class seeking jobs that specifically require full ABA accreditation, and only for the first year.

And who'd WANT to transfer out of Irvine :D On the other hand, I guess that would pose a problem for some people...but I'm dead set on staying if I do attend :P

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:05 pm

msch0i wrote:But, if all goes well, won't Irvine be accredited by the time the second incoming class graduates? (I guess this depends on when they receive "provisional approval"...) Unless I'm missing something? If not, this might be a problem for some students of the first graduating class seeking jobs that specifically require full ABA accreditation, and only for the first year.

And who'd WANT to transfer out of Irvine :D On the other hand, I guess that would pose a problem for some people...but I'm dead set on staying if I do attend :P

You have to be accredited before you start attending. It will most likely be provisionally accredited during the first year of the second incoming class. If you attended even one year before the accreditation, you must take an exam for that year. (minor one). It doesn't just depend on by the time you graduate whether or not the school has accreditation, but on a yearly basis when one attends.

And the minimum time frame for full accreditation is 3 years i believe, chances are it'll take about 4-5. Second incoming class and the third as well might not be that lucky. (but provisional is usually as good as full anyways)

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Example:

Ave Maria School of Law started its law school in fall 2000. It received its provisional on August of 2002, and its full accreditation on August of 2005.

"ANN ARBOR, Mich., Aug. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Ave Maria School of Law announced today that it has received full accreditation from the American Bar Association (ABA). The Law School, which first opened for classes in fall 2000 and received ABA provisional accreditation in August 2002, has been granted full accreditation in the shortest time frame possible."

Apparently the shortest time frame is 5 years....

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:10 pm

finalaspects wrote:Example:

Ave Maria School of Law started its law school in fall 2000. It received its provisional on August of 2002, and its full accreditation on August of 2005.

"ANN ARBOR, Mich., Aug. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Ave Maria School of Law announced today that it has received full accreditation from the American Bar Association (ABA). The Law School, which first opened for classes in fall 2000 and received ABA provisional accreditation in August 2002, has been granted full accreditation in the shortest time frame possible."

well if Ave Maria can do it...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 pm

finalaspects wrote:Example:

Provisional is enough to do anything a fully accredited school can do. All it means is that it's new/temporary until full can be granted. You still take the regular bar and can practice like anyone else.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”