UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:17 pm

ogurty wrote:In today via phone call from Dean Ortiz.
I'm probably attending.
So so so so so excited.

CONGRATS!!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm probably attending.
So so so so so excited.

congrats! mind sharing your stats please?

ogurty

Postby ogurty » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm

170/3.48

I'm very curious to see what their new medians will be.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:21 pm

ogurty wrote:170/3.48

is irvine one of your top choices? guessing you applied to quite a few T14's and you would most likely be accepted by a few of them? would you choose irvine over them?

ogurty

Postby ogurty » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:29 pm

I have a strong desire to stay in LA for marital reasons, and money is a big issue (bad credit), so yes, Irvine was a top choice. I might have a tough choice if I get into UCLA but right now it's looking like Irvine. Most of the T14 are not accessible with a 3.4, and I'd choose Los Angeles any day over Ithaca or Durham even if money weren't an issue.

Besides, I have family in the law and I've heard that the LA area legal community is really buzzing about Irvine. I'm really excited about the opportunity to be a part of it.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:09 pm

@ogurty congratulations!

@ctaylor21 I'm sure they'll allow you to audit, at the very least. Since you won't need the credit, I would definitely look at the idea, as it could save you several thousand dollars. I'm planning on taking language there, myself, and speaking from past experience, enough nagging will get you where you want to go. The real limitation would be scheduling, but auditing would get you around that. Just apply a judiciously gifted cupcake or something.

Cupcakes always get you what you want.

EDIT:

Dean Chemerinsky just called me to say hi. I nearly fouled my pants, he was so nice.

One of the things I asked him about was taking language classes while at the law school, and he referred me to Dean Ortiz.

Dean Ortiz told me that it would be theoretically possible to take an undergraduate class, but the UC does NOT allow any kind of auditing. You must enroll in the class. This poses significant problems for us ...

1. The college is on the quarter system, while the law school is on the semester system. You can swing it, but it's going to get ugly, fast.

2. Language classes tend to be 5 days a week, with language lab requirements. It's a huge time sink, and Ortiz said she would definitely not approve a language class for a 1L. I got the impression she thought it was a bad idea overall, and after talking to her, I'd be inclined to agree. As for myself, I don't see taking a language class at UCI as in the cards.

Sorry for the wall of text; I hope that was helpful. :oops:

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Also in today via phone call from Dean Ortiz. Have to see how the rest of my cycle plays out, but as of right now, I will be joining you guys next year. =)

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Hmm no new acceptances on LSN. You recent admits are not on there? I wonder how representative it really is. When do you think they'll start letting in us lowly reverse splitter types?

Edit: Congrats new admits! Sorry I was being self-centered. :wink:
Last edited by calgal17 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Congrats to the new admits today! Though it's good to see movement, it worries me that the spots are filling up so quickly :( and it seems like they love the splitters lately- Dean Ortiz, pls show us reverse splitters some love! <3

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:58 pm

I'm probably attending.
So so so so so excited.

Congrats! Are you coming to ASD? I actually wasn't able to make it to last year's ASD because of other commitments, but I've heard from a lot of the other 59 that they really finally made up their minds to come here after meeting the professors (and each other) that day.

ctaylor21

Postby ctaylor21 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:07 am

lobstar wrote:@ogurty congratulations!

@ctaylor21 I'm sure they'll allow you to audit, at the very least. Since you won't need the credit, I would definitely look at the idea, as it could save you several thousand dollars. I'm planning on taking language there, myself, and speaking from past experience, enough nagging will get you where you want to go. The real limitation would be scheduling, but auditing would get you around that. Just apply a judiciously gifted cupcake or something.

Cupcakes always get you what you want.

EDIT:

Dean Chemerinsky just called me to say hi. I nearly fouled my pants, he was so nice.

One of the things I asked him about was taking language classes while at the law school, and he referred me to Dean Ortiz.

Dean Ortiz told me that it would be theoretically possible to take an undergraduate class, but the UC does NOT allow any kind of auditing. You must enroll in the class. This poses significant problems for us ...

1. The college is on the quarter system, while the law school is on the semester system. You can swing it, but it's going to get ugly, fast.

2. Language classes tend to be 5 days a week, with language lab requirements. It's a huge time sink, and Ortiz said she would definitely not approve a language class for a 1L. I got the impression she thought it was a bad idea overall, and after talking to her, I'd be inclined to agree. As for myself, I don't see taking a language class at UCI as in the cards.

Sorry for the wall of text; I hope that was helpful. :oops:

Thanks for the comprehensive response. Glad you were able to ask about it specifically. You're probably right. As 1Ls we'll be busy enough.
I'll be sure to keep the cupcakes in mind when I need them in the future :)
Congrats on the acceptance! They sure make you feel like a million bucks don't they.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:06 am

congrats to all the new admits!!!! I'm so glad everyone's so excited with big Irvine <3!!!

ogurty

Postby ogurty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:15 am

Well, I guess I jinxed myself by posting. Dean Schwartz called 3 hours after Dean Ortiz to tell my I got into UCLA :D Very tough choice. I will definitely be at the admitted students day. See you guys there.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:09 am

ogurty wrote:170/3.48

Similar stats. Thanks for giving me hope :-)

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 pm

ogurty wrote:Well, I guess I jinxed myself by posting. Dean Schwartz called 3 hours after Dean Ortiz to tell my I got into UCLA :D Very tough choice. I will definitely be at the admitted students day. See you guys there.

A great day if there ever was one. Congrats 8)

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm going to visit Irvine today and meet one of the admissions staff -- do any of you have any general questions about the school that you want me to ask in person? You can PM me also. Leaving in about an hour and half :D

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:17 pm

msch0i wrote:I'm going to visit Irvine today and meet one of the admissions staff -- do any of you have any general questions about the school that you want me to ask in person? You can PM me also. Leaving in about an hour and half :D

omgosh so jealous! I would love to visit.

I don't have any questions they will tell you the answer to :wink:

HAVE FUN!

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Visited the campus and met with the assistant director of admissions. Everyone was very nice and the school and its staff sound much better than I'd ever expected. I learned a lot--if you're interested you can PM me for details. It's really just an elaboration of what's already been discussed in this thread in the past (job prospects, admission criteria, etc), but just verified by someone from the school. I don't want to bore all of you with my ramblings :)

But one exciting thing he told me is that they haven't sent out the bulk of their acceptances yet. They're waiting until the deadline to see who's out there and making a majority of their decisions after that. I think he also mentioned that they would be pretty much sending out all of their decisions by March :shock:

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:19 pm

msch0i wrote:Visited the campus and met with the assistant director of admissions. Everyone was very nice and the school and its staff sound much better than I'd ever expected. I learned a lot--if you're interested you can PM me for details. It's really just an elaboration of what's already been discussed in this thread in the past (job prospects, admission criteria, etc), but just verified by someone from the school. I don't want to bore all of you with my ramblings :)

But one exciting thing he told me is that they haven't sent out the bulk of their acceptances yet. They're waiting until the deadline to see who's out there and making a majority of their decisions after that. I think he also mentioned that they would be pretty much sending out all of their decisions by March :shock:

You picked a good day to visit. It randomly rained yesterday :(.

So what do you think of Irvine, in comparison to Westwood?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:38 pm

Tofu wrote:
msch0i wrote:Visited the campus and met with the assistant director of admissions. Everyone was very nice and the school and its staff sound much better than I'd ever expected. I learned a lot--if you're interested you can PM me for details. It's really just an elaboration of what's already been discussed in this thread in the past (job prospects, admission criteria, etc), but just verified by someone from the school. I don't want to bore all of you with my ramblings :)

You picked a good day to visit. It randomly rained yesterday :(.

So what do you think of Irvine, in comparison to Westwood?

I thought it was much more aesthetically pleasing and the people obey traffic laws willingly- a drastic change from west LA :lol: I can definitely see myself spending three years there as a break from the hectic Los Angeles life, but I just don't think I'll be able to settle there. It'd be a very good studying environment with less distractions.
Last edited by msch0i on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:49 pm

oh wow, that's really good to hear!! thanks for sharing and Im glad you had a positive time :D

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:51 pm

msch0i wrote:I thought it was much aesthetically pleasing and the people obey traffic laws willingly- a drastic change from west LA :lol: I can definitely see myself spending three years there as a break from the hectic Los Angeles life, but I just don't think I'll be able to settle there. It'd be a very good studying environment with less distractions.

Except Orange County beaches are 100% better than the ones near Westwood, especially SM, which is pretty much an open sewer.
Last edited by autarkh on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Veritas wrote:

oh wow, that's really good to hear!! thanks for sharing and Im glad you had a positive time :D

You should visit sometime, veritas!!! Aren't you a Socaler? Just play hooky for one day....it's worth it :wink:

StyrofoamWar

Postby StyrofoamWar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:45 am

Man, that was some great info you gathered today, way to make it a productive trip! Thanks for the info and good luck to all you UCI-hopefuls. Looks like the next two weeks should be very busy/exciting...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:48 am

msch0i wrote:
Veritas wrote:

You should visit sometime, veritas!!! Aren't you a Socaler? Just play hooky for one day....it's worth it :wink:

I have this thing about not visiting until it's a possible reality. I get worried I'll fall in love and then have my heart broken. :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”