UC Irvine 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msch0i

Silver

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Post by msch0i » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:16 am

Another acceptance yesterday! But she has great nos. and already has T14 acceptances. So no surprise there.

Hoping for lots of good news this week!

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:51 pm

So if Admissions is going to be "busy all day with calls" does that mean everyone accepted will be accepted today? I don't imagine that they will be calling more than 100+/- people for acceptances till they start to get some withdraws. 100/5min calls is 8.3 hours, but if two people are calling then it is 4 hours of phone calls.

They could potentially accept everyone needed today.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Inygma wrote:So if Admissions is going to be "busy all day with calls" does that mean everyone accepted will be accepted today? I don't imagine that they will be calling more than 100+/- people for acceptances till they start to get some withdraws. 100/5min calls is 8.3 hours, but if two people are calling then it is 4 hours of phone calls.

i think you're going too far lol. i don't think they'll call 100 people a day. I believe they had one of the lowest acceptance rates (4%) and one of the highest rate on matriculates.

Last year they accepted 110 people which 68 accepted the offer. i would guess they'll go about 5-10 people a day for this week. Good news is they want a bigger class this year (80 instead of 60), so they might accept around 150 or so.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:52 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Inygma wrote:So if Admissions is going to be "busy all day with calls" does that mean everyone accepted will be accepted today? I don't imagine that they will be calling more than 100+/- people for acceptances till they start to get some withdraws. 100/5min calls is 8.3 hours, but if two people are calling then it is 4 hours of phone calls.

i think you're going too far lol. i don't think they'll call 100 people a day. I believe they had one of the lowest acceptance rates (4%) and one of the highest rate on matriculates.

Last year they accepted 110 people which 68 accepted the offer. i would guess they'll go about 5-10 people a day for this week. Good news is they want a bigger class this year (80 instead of 60), so they might accept around 150 or so.
I think the matriculation rate this year will be lower also, if the predictions about lower medians for this year is accurate. Everyone who has been accepted so far has gotten into T20ish schools, and it's still relatively early in the cycle.

Which hopefully means they'll take lowly applicants like me :D

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm

another uneventful day? :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

taytay

New

Post by taytay » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 pm

UCI is one of my top choices and I am hitting myself for not getting my app in sooner, this waiting is killing me. I am also of the belief that the medians will be lower this year, if only to make myself feel that I have a legitimate chance this year

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:53 pm

taytay wrote:UCI is one of my top choices and I am hitting myself for not getting my app in sooner, this waiting is killing me. I am also of the belief that the medians will be lower this year, if only to make myself feel that I have a legitimate chance this year
i was one of the first posters who thought that medians will get lower. their medians depended on full tuition rides which drove some people away from the top 20 law schools. half tuition should not have as great of an impact in theory...

this may be counter-acted with the increase in applicants though... only time will tell...

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:57 pm

finalaspects wrote:
taytay wrote:UCI is one of my top choices and I am hitting myself for not getting my app in sooner, this waiting is killing me. I am also of the belief that the medians will be lower this year, if only to make myself feel that I have a legitimate chance this year
i was one of the first posters who thought that medians will get lower. their medians depended on full tuition rides which drove some people away from the top 20 law schools. half tuition should not have as great of an impact in theory...

this may be counter-acted with the increase in applicants though... only time will tell...
A current student posted earlier that the application numbers are actually down from last year, but I agree in the sense that the qualified applicant pool may have increased. Maybe they won't be able to fill the entire second class with numbers like the first class, but I think they'll be able to keep medians relatively high with splitters/reverse splitters.

That being said, omgpleasecall.

GrayArea

New

Post by GrayArea » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Oh yeah you guys don't know how UCI works. My bad. The school is great, professors amazing ( both law and undergrad), but the office staff tends to be overworked/forced into a lot of time off due to furlough days. So them "calling all day" as I reported overhearing means at best they will only get about 10 or so calls out on top of all their other work they have to do. I wish you guys all the best. If you guys have any questions about the campus, irvine area, or places to live happily hit me up. Like I said I am an undergrad and choose to not even apply here since I don't like living in Irvine so questions about the law school itself are wasted on me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:11 am

Hi all, I got my acceptance call from Dean Ortiz as well last wednesday (20th), so I doubt it's the staff that calls people. I think it's just the dean. Interesting theory about reverse splitters, since I'm one and I also have work experience. But I also think I have pretty good softs. She also mentioned that they were impressed by my LORs, so I think those might have had some pull. Good luck to all, I really enjoy reading this thread and I'm super-excited!

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Silence from Irvine. good thing or bad thing?

socalren

New

Post by socalren » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:12 pm

vickers711 wrote:Hi all, I got my acceptance call from Dean Ortiz as well last wednesday (20th), so I doubt it's the staff that calls people. I think it's just the dean. Interesting theory about reverse splitters, since I'm one and I also have work experience. But I also think I have pretty good softs. She also mentioned that they were impressed by my LORs, so I think those might have had some pull. Good luck to all, I really enjoy reading this thread and I'm super-excited!
CONGRATULATIONS! May I ask what your numbers are? Thanks :)

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:15 pm

vickers711 wrote:Hi all, I got my acceptance call from Dean Ortiz as well last wednesday (20th), so I doubt it's the staff that calls people. I think it's just the dean. Interesting theory about reverse splitters, since I'm one and I also have work experience. But I also think I have pretty good softs. She also mentioned that they were impressed by my LORs, so I think those might have had some pull. Good luck to all, I really enjoy reading this thread and I'm super-excited!
Congratulations!!! ::stares at phone::

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 pm

I'm just glad I don't have any friends currently living in Orange County right now. If I was getting calls from multiple (949) numbers that were not UCI, that would be all bad...

*continues attempting to wish cell phone into ringing...and being disappointed when it's just grandma calling again to ask how to work a TiVo...*

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:05 pm

socalren wrote:

Low 160s and 3.81 gpa from UCLA

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 am

vickers711 wrote:
socalren wrote:

Low 160s and 3.81 gpa from UCLA
Any work experience or are you a few years out of UG?

DoctorNick189

Bronze

Post by DoctorNick189 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:47 am

Last edited by DoctorNick189 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:13 am

DoctorNick189 wrote:
GrayArea wrote:

Oh yeah you guys don't know how UCI works. My bad. The school is great, professors amazing ( both law and undergrad), but the office staff tends to be overworked/forced into a lot of time off due to furlough days. So them "calling all day" as I reported overhearing means at best they will only get about 10 or so calls out on top of all their other work they have to do. I wish you guys all the best. If you guys have any questions about the campus, irvine area, or places to live happily hit me up. Like I said I am an undergrad and choose to not even apply here since I don't like living in Irvine so questions about the law school itself are wasted on me.
Care to elaborate on why you don't like living in Irvine?

Also, the impression I got when I was last in OC is that I would be fucked beyond belief without a car. True story?
i guess i'll add my own comments:

irvine's pretty.. quiet. it's not alive like berkeley is, for instance; nothing much really happens, and you kind of have to go out of your way to find stuff to do sometimes. in a way, though, this is perfect for law students who want to focus on studying haha

i highly, highly suggest getting a car. the oc's way too suburban to do a lot of stuff without a car. some people do fine without a car, though- to each his or her own!

GrayArea

New

Post by GrayArea » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 am

DoctorNick189 wrote: Care to elaborate on why you don't like living in Irvine?

Also, the impression I got when I was last in OC is that I would be fucked beyond belief without a car. True story?
I don't like Irvine because it a really bad mix of shallow and conservative. The people on the UCI campus are nice and I really like my classmates just not really the area. You will be fucked beyond all reason without a car. I did it for two years in undergrad (with a meal plan) but there is no way you could do it in law school. There is NOTHING within walking distance of campus except UTC which has a TJs and a few places to eat and an Albertsons. The real problem with Irvine is that there is nothing stimulating about it. It breeds complacency. Almost everyone falls into the habit of just staying in most nights or going out to eat. Thats it. There is stuff to do around here and have a good time, the Pub on campus for example, but it is truly a commuter campus. Now the law school might be different but there is no way I want to spend 3+ more years here. I much rather go to SD or ideally the Bay Area. Now this being said I am sure someone will bring up all the parties here on Thursday nights in the frat houses but thats not my scene. I am very much a gamer girl so things I like to do are more along the lines of hikes, lan parties, going out on adventures around the city, finding cool new hole in the wall places to eat, working on wood working projects and stuff like that.

The nail in the coffin for me was that I did a ton of research under the chair of criminology, so if I went to UCI I would just be working for him instead of trying new things. If you have any more questions just PM me.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 am

GrayArea wrote:
DoctorNick189 wrote: Care to elaborate on why you don't like living in Irvine?

I don't like Irvine because it a really bad mix of shallow and conservative. The people on the UCI campus are nice and I really like my classmates just not really the area. You will be fucked beyond all reason without a car. I did it for two years in undergrad (with a meal plan) but there is no way you could do it in law school. There is NOTHING within walking distance of campus except UTC which has a TJs and a few places to eat and an Albertsons. The real problem with Irvine is that there is nothing stimulating about it. It breeds complacency. Almost everyone falls into the habit of just staying in most nights or going out to eat. Thats it. There is stuff to do around here and have a good time, the Pub on campus for example, but it is truly a commuter campus. Now the law school might be different but there is no way I want to spend 3+ more years here. I much rather go to SD or ideally the Bay Area. Now this being said I am sure someone will bring up all the parties here on Thursday nights in the frat houses but thats not my scene. I am very much a gamer girl so things I like to do are more along the lines of hikes, lan parties, going out on adventures around the city, finding cool new hole in the wall places to eat, working on wood working projects and stuff like that.

The nail in the coffin for me was that I did a ton of research under the chair of criminology, so if I went to UCI I would just be working for him instead of trying new things. If you have any more questions just PM me.
A little complacency is what I need after spending UG in Los Angeles 8) . But I'd see why you wouldn't want to spend 7 years in Irvine. That's just too much, I think :)

Edit: and it is officially impossible to live in the OC without a car!

GrayArea

New

Post by GrayArea » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:38 am

msch0i wrote:
A little complacency is what I need after spending UG in Los Angeles 8) . But I'd see why you wouldn't want to spend 7 years in Irvine. That's just too much, I think :)
Three years would not be bad at all. There is lots of fun stuff to do around the area, you just have to look harder then most other places.

Edit: I know a little part of me will die when I leave Irvine and never again go to Tokyo Table and have their amazing sushi pizza.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:43 am

GrayArea wrote: Edit: I know a little part of me will die when I leave Irvine and never again go to Tokyo Table and have their amazing sushi pizza.
what's tokyo table :(? i have not tried this sushi pizza, but i am very intrigued

lobstar

New

Post by lobstar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:09 am

had a nice chat with dean ortiz last week.

167 LSAT, 3.5 GPA, class of 2008 at Amherst.

Funny thing was I sent an email in the morning requesting the status of my application, and got a call from dean ortiz about an hour later. I thought they were calling to tell me I was missing information!

Sent in my application early December. Good luck everyone - maybe I'll see you in irvine in the fall!

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:16 am

lobstar wrote:had a nice chat with dean ortiz last week.

Funny thing was I sent an email in the morning requesting the status of my application, and got a call from dean ortiz about an hour later. I thought they were calling to tell me I was missing information!

Sent in my application early December. Good luck everyone - maybe I'll see you in irvine in the fall!
Congrats :D
Do you think they'd tell us if our apps are being reviewed or not? :shock: What e-mail address did you use when inquiring about your status?

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:17 am

lobstar wrote:had a nice chat with dean ortiz last week.

Congrats! Going to the 4/1 ASD?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”