UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pany1985

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby pany1985 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 am

If you tour campus on or before December 18th, be prepared to see a bunch of 1Ls being all nervous about exams.

Not me of course. The other ones.

also...

The Guide to Pronouncing "Chemerinsky"

The "Che" is said as if you were saying the first three letters of "check." The whole first half rhymes with "tremor." And then you just tack a pretty self-explanatory "insky" on the end and you've got it.

wired

Postby wired » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks for the pronunciation guide Pany. Always good to have a "rhymes with" comparison. I'm looking at you Webster!

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:19 pm

Hey how about we make the UCI 2010 thread for all those waiting to hear back, and we'll save this one (2013) for those who are accepted?

Neil

Postby Neil » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:50 pm

CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote:Good for you guys.

I think if I made any oversight in my application process, it was not applying to Irvine.

It wasn't listed in the USNEWS and World Report, so I just assumed it was a toilet school. By the time I looked into it and realized the amazing opportunity it was the day of their deadline.

Just when I thought I was done with applications, I heard about UC Irvine and after a little research thought it might be worth one more application.

The UCI website says the deadline is February 15th. Am I missing something (in reference to above quote)? If the Feb 15 deadline is accurate, would I be at a big disadvantage if I apply now? Anybody know whether my numbers-- 169, 2.86-- will be competitive at UC Irvine, especially given that I'm a little late? Info on UC Irvine is relatively difficult to find, so anything you can tell me will be appreciated. Thanks!

calapp09

Postby calapp09 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:27 am

Neil wrote:
CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote:The UCI website says the deadline is February 15th. Am I missing something (in reference to above quote)? If the Feb 15 deadline is accurate, would I be at a big disadvantage if I apply now?

Actually, you will be at a disadvantage if you apply closer to the deadline. At admissions information sessions, the Director of Admissions has made it clear that its MUCH better to apply sooner rather than later, because there will be fewer spots left later on. She is really encouraging people to apply as soon as their applications are ready, and saying that waiting until February is a bad idea.

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:08 pm

calapp09 wrote:
Neil wrote:
CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote:The UCI website says the deadline is February 15th. Am I missing something (in reference to above quote)? If the Feb 15 deadline is accurate, would I be at a big disadvantage if I apply now?

Actually, you will be at a disadvantage if you apply closer to the deadline. At admissions information sessions, the Director of Admissions has made it clear that its MUCH better to apply sooner rather than later, because there will be fewer spots left later on. She is really encouraging people to apply as soon as their applications are ready, and saying that waiting until February is a bad idea.

Yeah, sorry, I worded that badly. I meant if I apply now as opposed to earlier. That CaptainSnuggleBunny was concerned with some earlier deadline made me think there might be another deadline UCI suggests people have their applications in if they want to be considered in the first batch of applicants, and maybe applying now would mean I'd have to wait for someone who had been accepted to withdraw their application or something. It seems unlikely, I know, but UCI does seem to take a new approach so I figured it was worth looking into a bit...

wired

Postby wired » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Earlier my wife was on my laptop and said, "Whoa! You have an email from UC Irvine!"

When she heard how excited I was, she immediately told me she was joking. I told her that was not what I considered a funny joke.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:31 pm

wired wrote:Earlier my wife was on my laptop and said, "Whoa! You have an email from UC Irvine!"

When she heard how excited I was, she immediately told me she was joking. I told her that was not what I considered a funny joke.

I just got a call from a 949 number so I jumped and answered it, and a very nice lady asked for me. I excitedly said yes. She was calling about a bill. SIGH :?

calapp09

Postby calapp09 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm

UC Irvine School of Law Announces New Half-Tuition Scholarships for
Next Year’s Entering Class

IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 21, 2009—University of California, Irvine School of Law will provide generous scholarships for its entire class of students arriving in August 2010, which will help ensure the high caliber of its second class.

Funded by private donations, these scholarships will provide all new students with at least 50% of their annual tuition payments through each of their three years at the Law School.

The Law School’s pledge of generous scholarships for the second class follows upon last year’s grant of privately funded scholarships to the school’s Inaugural Class, the Class of 2012, which received full-tuition scholarships for three years. That class of 60 students, which arrived in August 2009, was comparable to classes of top 20 law schools in terms of median grades and LSAT scores. UC Irvine School of Law accepted only 4 percent of applicants for its Inaugural Class, which was the lowest acceptance rate in the country.

"Privately funded scholarships for our second class of students, the Class of 2013, will help us maintain the high quality of our student body and keep us clearly in the realm of a top 20 law school in our second year of operation," said Dean Erwin Chemerinsky. "We are seeking and receiving generous support from the entire Southern California legal community for these scholarships."

Tuition — including professional fees and other campus fees — for the second class during the 2010-2011 school year is expected to be about $40,000 for in-state students and about $50,000 for those out of state. The Class of 2013 is expected to have approximately 80 students; the Law School will slowly expand to its ultimate goal of 200 students per class.

All students in the Class of 2013 are also guaranteed on-campus housing at UC Irvine, though they will be responsible for their own housing and living expenses. Other forms of financial aid, including guaranteed federal loans, will also be available to help cover tuition costs and other expenses.

Contact: Rex Bossert, assistant dean for communications, 949-824-3063, rbossert@law.uci.edu

About UCI School of Law:

UCI School of Law seeks to create the ideal law school for the 21st century by doing the best job of training lawyers for the practice of law at the highest levels of the profession. Recruited from prestigious schools, the founding faculty has been ranked in the top 10 in a recent study. The student-faculty ratio is currently about 3:1, by far the best in the country. The law school’s innovative curriculum stresses hands-on learning, interdisciplinary study and public service.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:59 pm

calapp09 wrote:UC Irvine School of Law Announces New Half-Tuition Scholarships for

IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 21, 2009—University of California, Irvine School of Law will provide generous scholarships for its entire class of students arriving in August 2010, which will help ensure the high caliber of its second class.

Funded by private donations, these scholarships will provide all new students with at least 50% of their annual tuition payments through each of their three years at the Law School.

The Law School’s pledge of generous scholarships for the second class follows upon last year’s grant of privately funded scholarships to the school’s Inaugural Class, the Class of 2012, which received full-tuition scholarships for three years. That class of 60 students, which arrived in August 2009, was comparable to classes of top 20 law schools in terms of median grades and LSAT scores. UC Irvine School of Law accepted only 4 percent of applicants for its Inaugural Class, which was the lowest acceptance rate in the country.

"Privately funded scholarships for our second class of students, the Class of 2013, will help us maintain the high quality of our student body and keep us clearly in the realm of a top 20 law school in our second year of operation," said Dean Erwin Chemerinsky. "We are seeking and receiving generous support from the entire Southern California legal community for these scholarships."

Tuition — including professional fees and other campus fees — for the second class during the 2010-2011 school year is expected to be about $40,000 for in-state students and about $50,000 for those out of state. The Class of 2013 is expected to have approximately 80 students; the Law School will slowly expand to its ultimate goal of 200 students per class.

All students in the Class of 2013 are also guaranteed on-campus housing at UC Irvine, though they will be responsible for their own housing and living expenses. Other forms of financial aid, including guaranteed federal loans, will also be available to help cover tuition costs and other expenses.

Contact: Rex Bossert, assistant dean for communications, 949-824-3063, rbossert@law.uci.edu

About UCI School of Law:

UCI School of Law seeks to create the ideal law school for the 21st century by doing the best job of training lawyers for the practice of law at the highest levels of the profession. Recruited from prestigious schools, the founding faculty has been ranked in the top 10 in a recent study. The student-faculty ratio is currently about 3:1, by far the best in the country. The law school’s innovative curriculum stresses hands-on learning, interdisciplinary study and public service.

SOO EXCITED.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:02 pm

msch0i wrote:
calapp09 wrote:UC Irvine School of Law Announces New Half-Tuition Scholarships for

About UCI School of Law:

SOO EXCITED.

+1, I'm realllly interested to hear from them!

soccersmo

Postby soccersmo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:48 pm

I just recently decided I wanted to apply to UCI after some more research I got really excited about it... I just finished up my why UCI essay and was planning on submitting tomorrow... I hope its not too late for them to consider me!!! I think it would be a great institution to attend

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:59 pm

wow, very generous. I think with the rising UC prices this will go well for UCI in attracting qualified applicants and thus boosting their rankings...

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:07 pm

soccersmo wrote:I just recently decided I wanted to apply to UCI after some more research I got really excited about it... I just finished up my why UCI essay and was planning on submitting tomorrow... I hope its not too late for them to consider me!!! I think it would be a great institution to attend

Sounds like we're in the same boat in terms of hearing about/getting excited about UCI late in the game. It really grew on my quickly. I hope it's not too late, either-- I just applied online last night and sent my signature today, and it will take a while to get there from New York...

Good luck!

rufferoo

Postby rufferoo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:25 pm

has anyone gotten a confirmation from UCI saying that their application is complete since they have submitted it?.. I HAVENT!!.. they only emailed me saying that they have received my application.. but nothing about it being complete :S.. i wonder if the checklist thing got to them alright via post...

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:24 pm

rufferoo wrote:has anyone gotten a confirmation from UCI saying that their application is complete since they have submitted it?.. I HAVENT!!.. they only emailed me saying that they have received my application.. but nothing about it being complete :S.. i wonder if the checklist thing got to them alright via post...

Called them a week or two ago to ask. They told me they don't send "application complete" notices...basically, all we can do is make sure LSAC sent them the report and that we got the "application received" e-mail. But yeah, I've wondered about the signed checklist also...

I'm assuming they would call or something if that was missing.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:36 pm

msch0i wrote:
rufferoo wrote:has anyone gotten a confirmation from UCI saying that their application is complete since they have submitted it?.. I HAVENT!!.. they only emailed me saying that they have received my application.. but nothing about it being complete :S.. i wonder if the checklist thing got to them alright via post...

Called them a week or two ago to ask. They told me they don't send "application complete" notices...basically, all we can do is make sure LSAC sent them the report and that we got the "application received" e-mail. But yeah, I've wondered about the signed checklist also...

Is the "application received" email same thing as "application submitted" email? Which is the email i received as soon as i submitted my app electronically.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:25 pm

finalaspects wrote:
msch0i wrote:

Is the "application received" email same thing as "application submitted" email? Which is the email i received as soon as i submitted my app electronically.

Yes, that's all I received from them so far. Hoping to hear from them in a month or so!

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:27 pm

same on the emails received

i think it may take longer than a month to start hearing back (aside from auto admits) as i have heard that they dont do rolling

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:34 pm

sdegarmo wrote:same on the emails received

i think it may take longer than a month to start hearing back (aside from auto admits) as i have heard that they dont do rolling

their definition of auto admits will be changing for the next few years. the very high numbers won't apply anymore without the guarantee for free full tuition. although i believe they will still give out a few free rides, most will be 50% tuition. i'm guessing they'll try to keep their median the same if possible, so anyone above either their gpa or lsat median should have very good luck. or at least that's what i'm hoping for.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:38 pm

yeah i am slightly below the median on both

I put a lot of work into the app (why UCI particularly) and have tailored LORs, so if i can squeak in on 1/2 tuition for this year i would be stoked

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:43 pm

sdegarmo wrote:yeah i am slightly below the median on both

I put a lot of work into the app (why UCI particularly) and have tailored LORs, so if i can squeak in on 1/2 tuition for this year i would be stoked

If my assumption is true that they will not be able to hold on to their median, you should have a very good shot. Especially if you're barely lower than their medians. how much is slightly lower by the way? .1 gpa and 1 lsat point?

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:47 pm

2 LSAT (i think their median was 167)

.2~.3 gpa

not as close as id like, but still in the running i think, especially is their unwillingness to release 25/75ths is any indication that they are splitter friendly

its definately a reach, but then again, thats why i kind of blanketed the country w/ apps

scolinos

Postby scolinos » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:52 am

is it worth applying with a 3.14 and a 161? softs include: two years of clerking experience at a firm.

any input?

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:56 am

scolinos wrote:is it worth applying with a 3.14 and a 161? softs include: two years of clerking experience at a firm.

any input?

They don't charge an application fee, so as long as you have $12 there's no reason not to apply.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”