UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Question: UCI requested my LSAC report yesterday, and LSAC sent it to them today, but LSAC didn't include my LoR's. All of my other schools received the LoRs with the report.. should I call UCI and let them know this?

User avatar
socalren
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby socalren » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Inygma wrote:Question: UCI requested my LSAC report yesterday, and LSAC sent it to them today, but LSAC didn't include my LoR's. All of my other schools received the LoRs with the report.. should I call UCI and let them know this?
\

Since they were one of the few apps that requested 3 LORs I would definitely follow up on that...

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:05 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
msch0i wrote:PLEEEEEEASE CALLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEEEE <3 I just want to end this pain.


hilarious when juxtaposed with your avatar


:mrgreen: I'll look like my avatar ifwhen I get my call.

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Neil » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:22 pm

msch0i wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
i'm at 0-2-6 (2 waitlists and 6 rejections) no acceptances. :cry:


Keep your head up! I'm sure you'll get some good news soon!

I vote Irvine admit the active people on this thread. That'll end up at about 60-80 people with good medians, right? :D


I second the motion. I'll post again if I don't yet qualify as "active".

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Has anyone visited UCI yet? If so, how did you like it? I'm thinking about visiting sometime this month since I haven't been to the UCI campus since I took my SATs there :lol:

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:42 pm

msch0i wrote:Has anyone visited UCI yet? If so, how did you like it? I'm thinking about visiting sometime this month since I haven't been to the UCI campus since I took my SATs there :lol:


I dropped by yesterday, but only to turn in a few things to admissions. I "saw" the law building, it is a mirror of the education building it looks like, but I did not go in because the admissions office is right inside the building of Education.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:44 pm

Inygma wrote:
msch0i wrote:Has anyone visited UCI yet? If so, how did you like it? I'm thinking about visiting sometime this month since I haven't been to the UCI campus since I took my SATs there :lol:


I dropped by yesterday, but only to turn in a few things to admissions. I "saw" the law building, it is a mirror of the education building it looks like, but I did not go in because the admissions office is right inside the building of Education.


Hm, I wonder if they give tours. I think I looked up info about touring the school last year and it said to contact them in January..unless it's a completely different school that I'm thinking of.

User avatar
socalren
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby socalren » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:47 pm

msch0i wrote:Has anyone visited UCI yet? If so, how did you like it? I'm thinking about visiting sometime this month since I haven't been to the UCI campus since I took my SATs there :lol:

I went to the Kaplan Law Panel there in August. It's a beautiful campus and I love the "garden" area in the middle. As I've mentioned before, everything about UCI fits with my wants for a law school, including the location (tons of stuff to do/shopping/beach close enough).

Tofu
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Tofu » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:47 pm

.
Last edited by Tofu on Fri May 07, 2010 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby wired » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:17 pm

I visited and loved it. The law building an on-going project and they have essentially annexed the Education building for their use. The library is beautiful. Their constructing a mock trial/moot court room.

It is also a five-minute walk from one of the on-campus complexes (Palo Verde) if you want to live on campus.

And as everyone else has mentioned, the weather is gorgeous. I visited in December and I wore a short-sleeve shirt.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 pm

wired wrote:I visited and loved it. The law building an on-going project and they have essentially annexed the Education building for their use. The library is beautiful. Their constructing a mock trial/moot court room.

It is also a five-minute walk from one of the on-campus complexes (Palo Verde) if you want to live on campus.

And as everyone else has mentioned, the weather is gorgeous. I visited in December and I wore a short-sleeve shirt.


Did you take a guided tour or something or was it largely independent?

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby wired » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:36 pm

msch0i wrote:
wired wrote:I visited and loved it. The law building an on-going project and they have essentially annexed the Education building for their use. The library is beautiful. Their constructing a mock trial/moot court room.

It is also a five-minute walk from one of the on-campus complexes (Palo Verde) if you want to live on campus.

And as everyone else has mentioned, the weather is gorgeous. I visited in December and I wore a short-sleeve shirt.


Did you take a guided tour or something or was it largely independent?


One of the admission's officers walked me to the various parts of the (small) law campus.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 pm

wired wrote:
msch0i wrote:
wired wrote:I visited and loved it. The law building an on-going project and they have essentially annexed the Education building for their use. The library is beautiful. Their constructing a mock trial/moot court room.

It is also a five-minute walk from one of the on-campus complexes (Palo Verde) if you want to live on campus.

And as everyone else has mentioned, the weather is gorgeous. I visited in December and I wore a short-sleeve shirt.


Did you take a guided tour or something or was it largely independent?


One of the admission's officers walked me to the various parts of the (small) law campus.


Oh, nice. I should really schedule a tour soon...so excited!

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:53 pm

No acceptances today?

User avatar
calgal17
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:08 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby calgal17 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Veritas wrote:^^^

thanks for your input. I'm actually of the belief that after the T14, the rankings are more about personal preference. Being "bottom of T1" for UCI (using your prediction) isn't that far from Hastings current rank. Irvine is in my preferable market, it will be much cheaper and the current faculty/administration are going to work their tails off to make sure their first classes of students are well placed upon/after graduation. Plus it's public interest mission fits with my goals, Hastings, from my research, is more focused on private firms.

So, I think these are more rational considerations, not just me being "nuts" :wink:


I like your style. I think we have similar views of things. :)

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:20 pm

calgal17 wrote:
Veritas wrote:^^^

thanks for your input. I'm actually of the belief that after the T14, the rankings are more about personal preference. Being "bottom of T1" for UCI (using your prediction) isn't that far from Hastings current rank. Irvine is in my preferable market, it will be much cheaper and the current faculty/administration are going to work their tails off to make sure their first classes of students are well placed upon/after graduation. Plus it's public interest mission fits with my goals, Hastings, from my research, is more focused on private firms.

So, I think these are more rational considerations, not just me being "nuts" :wink:


I like your style. I think we have similar views of things. :)

:D let's be friends?

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby gymboree » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:26 am

Veritas wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
Veritas wrote:^^^

thanks for your input. I'm actually of the belief that after the T14, the rankings are more about personal preference. Being "bottom of T1" for UCI (using your prediction) isn't that far from Hastings current rank. Irvine is in my preferable market, it will be much cheaper and the current faculty/administration are going to work their tails off to make sure their first classes of students are well placed upon/after graduation. Plus it's public interest mission fits with my goals, Hastings, from my research, is more focused on private firms.

So, I think these are more rational considerations, not just me being "nuts" :wink:


I like your style. I think we have similar views of things. :)

:D let's be friends?


This is my law school weltanschauung - hence my UCI love.

User avatar
DoctorNick189
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby DoctorNick189 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:41 am

.
Last edited by DoctorNick189 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby gymboree » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:26 am

BiteyTLS wrote:
Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:You think they will dip below the 167 mark?

with a 165/3.82 I would LOVE for UCI to LOVE me back


they will attempt to keep their median probably at all costs. LSAT is the most difficult statistic to keep up.

BUT 50% are below the 167 median so yea. but you got into hastings!!!!

Irvine/Davis/UCLA/USC/UCB/USD/LLS > Hastings


You are nuts if you think a new, unaccredited Irvine is better than UC Hastings. Once the scholarship money runs dry, Irvine is heading for the bottom of tier 1. Few people are going to pay the full 43k resident/55k non-resident (2011-2012 fees) to attend a school with no record at all.


You are nuts if you think a UC quality law school in Irvine isn't an attractive option. Between the 15-30 rankings it's almost all freezing cold schools (want to go to Indiana? Illinois? Iowa?) or schools in the South (want some humidity? how about Vanderbilt? UNC? or Alabama?). This is just weather -- I'm just getting started.

The biggest point you're missing is UC Irvine's faculty. Have you any idea who teaches there? Talk to me when you're struggling through Conlaw and you have to consult your Chemerinsky. Dean Chemerinsky wrote it. UC Irvine's dean. The same one UC Irvine students have coffee with a couple times a month. They have the opportunity to ask him questions *in person*.

There's a value add in studying with the UC Irvine faculty - and people will pay for that quality. Elizabeth Loftus anyone? She was the memory expert in the Oliver North trial and Rodney King trial (formerly of UW). Then there's Professors Cohen for Econ., Moran for Torts (25 years at Boalt Hall), Weinstein for lawyering skills (LA & NY Times), Burk for IP (formerly at UMN), Menkel-Meadow for CivPro (stolen from Georgetown), Fisk (stolen from Duke, formerly at USC).... and on and on. Dean Ortiz stolen from Boalt Hall. Overall, UC Irvine faculty are ranked in the top 10 of faculty for scholarly impact.
http://www.leiterrankings.com/faculty/2 ... pact.shtml

These people have a record.

Then, you have the Irvine legal community coming out in support of UC Irvine even ITE. Not only does UC Irvine have more employers committed to coming on campus for their OCI *than they have students*, but there is a 3:1 student/faculty ratio. How much easier is it going to be for those students to get personal attention and excellent references? It's certainly not 3 deep at office hours. How hard are the faculty and career services staff going to work to get those students the best clerkships and internships possible? What other school matches you with 2 established mentors in the legal community as a 1L? Or ever?

The Orange County legal community has ample opportunity for internships and clerkships. There are nearby federal courts, US Attorney offices, an active and high profile DA's office, public defender's office, and Legal Aid. What's more, UC Irvine students are already in those offices doing intake as 1L's.
http://www.law.uci.edu/registrar/curriculum.html

Let's see what respected OC lawyers have to say...
[M]ost of the state’s growth since 1965, and much of its future expansion, is in Southern California. The region needs another top-tier school, says O’Melveny & [deleted] partner Brett Williamson, a former Chemerinsky student.“There is a huge need in having an Orange County school with the resources and profile a UC school can bring,” says Williamson, who has practiced in Newport Beach for more than 20 years and now is managing partner of O’Melveny’s office there.
http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... _by_erwin/

If you don't want to apply to UC Irvine, that's fine. Maybe you don't want to attend UC Irvine, that's fine. Maybe you don't even want to work at the Newport Beach office of O'Melveny & [deleted], I'm fine with that, too.

But don't knock my school.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:30 am

gymboree wrote:But don't knock my school.


8)

i take it irvine is one of your top choices? although you have a few great schools to hear back from

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby gymboree » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:36 am

finalaspects wrote:the low lawyers-judges score will affect the first few graduating classes


n=1, but my brother-in-law (HYS J.D., Biglaw) in the Northeast knows all about UC Irvine. It's all over the journals, and people are watching this around the country. Judges that will vote on this kind of thing know who/what/where about UC Irvine. I would argue that the sort to follow these things are the same sort who bother to respond to the request for USNWR rankings questionnaires.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:39 am

gymboree wrote:
finalaspects wrote:the low lawyers-judges score will affect the first few graduating classes


n=1, but my brother-in-law (HYS J.D., Biglaw) in the Northeast knows all about UC Irvine. It's all over the journals, and people are watching this around the country. Judges that will vote on this kind of thing know who/what/where about UC Irvine. I would argue that the sort to follow these things are the same sort who bother to respond to the request for USNWR rankings questionnaires.


you sure you don't work for irvine? and you're just trying to get us to attend?

(you succeeded!)

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby gymboree » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:41 am

finalaspects wrote:
gymboree wrote:But don't knock my school.


8)

i take it irvine is one of your top choices? although you have a few great schools to hear back from


If Harvard could turn up the heat to 72 year-round and then buy me a BMW 7-series (the equivalent of the UC Irvine offer).... then, maybe... Oh, and I'd have to get in! 8)

ucilawzot!
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:33 am

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby ucilawzot! » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:58 am

Hi all. I am a current UCI law student. I enjoyed reading this page and all of your comments. Its great to see that there are applicants who seem as excited about UCI as the current students.

To those of you who mentioned that you want to visit and tour the school: please do! There are lots of us who would love to show you around and answer your questions in person. We have a lot of school pride and are happy to share it.

Second, don't let the nay-sayers get you down. If someone wants to hate UCI they will find a way to do it regardless of how many of their arguments you can counter. Ultimately, the decision to attend this school is a personal one and only you know what your goals are and whether UCI will help you achieve them.

There are certainly pros and cons to attending a new school, but in my opinion, the pros far exceed the cons and I don't think you will find a single student in the innaugural class who regrets the decision to attend UCI. Many of you have already touched on what makes UCI so special, but I don't think enough has been said about the support of the local, regional and national legal community. First, they paid for our scholarships, and the scholarships for the class of 2013, which represents a significant financial investment in the school and the students. Not only this, they are also making major commitments of their time and expertise in helping us build our student groups and the larger law school institution. They're hiring us as interns and are inviting us to work in their clinics. We have state and federal judges who are hiring us for externships and who have promised to hire us as clerks. As far as I have heard, we all have summer jobs lined up in the parts of the country that we want (not only OC) and doing the type of law that we want.

It isn't easy to go to school somewhere without 2Ls or 3Ls, and its very time consuming to build a student government and student groups from the ground up, but this work is also exciting and the types of students who seem to have gravitated to UCI like the challenge.

If you have other questions please PM me and I'm happy to answer any that I can.

Good luck with your admissions cycles! I hope to see some of you in the Irv next year.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby msch0i » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:30 am

Thanks for sharing that! Hearing about you guys having summer jobs lined up and everything really makes me at ease, especially since the one thing I was kind of concerned about was the possible lack of name recognition UCI may have and how that may have hindered my job search...but it sounds like it won't be that much of a problem.

...now to get that call... :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ewan0707 and 9 guests