UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Veritas wrote:Irvine/Davis/UCLA/USC/UCB/USD/LLS > Hastings

bah you got spoiled veritas. remember when none of them accepted you?

i'm at 0-2-6 (2 waitlists and 6 rejections) no acceptances. :cry:

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:53 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:Irvine/Davis/UCLA/USC/UCB/USD/LLS > Hastings

bah you got spoiled veritas. remember when none of them accepted you?

I remember, oh I remember. I'm not spoiled. I worked very very hard to create options for myself, nothing was handed to me. :|

I think I earned the right to have preferences and not be made to feel bad for having them.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Veritas wrote:I remember, oh I remember. I'm not spoiled. I worked very very hard to create options for myself, nothing was handed to me. :|

I think I earned the right to have preferences and not be made to feel bad for having them.

oh i wasn't trying to make you feel bad. i apologize if i did. nothing was handed to me either and my rejections are all from t16 schools so i guess i should have expected that.

are you veritas85 on lsn?
Last edited by finalaspects on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Veritas wrote: I'm not spoiled. I worked very very hard to create options for myself, nothing was handed to me. :|

Seriously - you went back to the books, studied your ass off, retook the LSAT and deserve everything you are now getting, as a result of that effort.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Veritas wrote: I'm not spoiled. I worked very very hard to create options for myself, nothing was handed to me. :|

Seriously - you went back to the books, studied your ass off, retook the LSAT and deserve everything you are now getting, as a result of that effort.

:shock:

NY left the Fordham thread for me!

<3

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Veritas wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

:shock:

NY left the Fordham thread for me!

<3

Hush, you. Don't make the other threads jealous.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:09 pm

finalaspects wrote:

Keep your head up! I'm sure you'll get some good news soon!

I vote Irvine admit the active people on this thread. That'll end up at about 60-80 people with good medians, right? :D

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:15 pm

msch0i wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Keep your head up! I'm sure you'll get some good news soon!

I vote Irvine admit the active people on this thread. That'll end up at about 60-80 people with good medians, right? :D

i swear i think they can actually keep their medians if they pretty much just accept all of us here.

irvine im leaning towards you above hastings and davis... so accept me please!

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:27 pm

gymboree wrote:
Veritas wrote:You think they will dip below the 167 mark?

with a 165/3.82 I would LOVE for UCI to LOVE me back

pm'd you.

I want to know!! I'm in the same boat (kind of)

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

they will attempt to keep their median probably at all costs. LSAT is the most difficult statistic to keep up.

BUT 50% are below the 167 median so yea. but you got into hastings!!!!

Irvine/Davis/UCLA/USC/UCB/USD/LLS > Hastings

You are nuts if you think a new, unaccredited Irvine is better than UC Hastings. Once the scholarship money runs dry, Irvine is heading for the bottom of tier 1. Few people are going to pay the full 43k resident/55k non-resident (2011-2012 fees) to attend a school with no record at all.

socalren

Postby socalren » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Bitey, no disrespect, but that is a number heavy statement. They really have obtained a great staff and will have accreditation swiftly. Add in the supporting firms and reputation of the UC system and you'll have a top law school. Who's to say they can't keep their numbers higher than Hastings and Davis? I find that to be a capable feat with their current marketing agenda.
Last edited by socalren on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm

^^^

thanks for your input. I'm actually of the belief that after the T14, the rankings are more about personal preference. Being "bottom of T1" for UCI (using your prediction) isn't that far from Hastings current rank. Irvine is in my preferable market, it will be much cheaper and the current faculty/administration are going to work their tails off to make sure their first classes of students are well placed upon/after graduation. Plus it's public interest mission fits with my goals, Hastings, from my research, is more focused on private firms.

So, I think these are more rational considerations, not just me being "nuts" :wink:

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:56 pm

BiteyTLS wrote:You are nuts if you think a new, unaccredited Irvine is better than UC Hastings. Once the scholarship money runs dry, Irvine is heading for the bottom of tier 1. Few people are going to pay the full 43k resident/55k non-resident (2011-2012 fees) to attend a school with no record at all.

Well that's the point of the scholarships. First is to get the statistics necessary to be top 20. (successful their first year, was even better than USC's median, and they will try again this year).

Once the first class graduates, they will do all they can to get them good jobs, so that they can start a record/reputation. They won't even be ranked until they're fully accredited anyways (about 5 years).

their faculty is top 10 according to scholarly impact leiter rankings above penn, cornell, georgetown, ucla, northwestern and texas.

It may be so that the fact that they might break the top 30 in 5 years won't do us much any good, but nonetheless, half tuition in this economy from a UC sounds pretty good. along with excellent location.

Even this website, has Irvine ranked at an estimated #30 which is higher than hastings and davis.
Last edited by finalaspects on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

socalren

Postby socalren » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Veritas wrote:^^^

thanks for your input. I'm actually of the belief that after the T14, the rankings are more about personal preference. Being "bottom of T1" for UCI (using your prediction) isn't that far from Hastings current rank. Irvine is in my preferable market, it will be much cheaper and the current faculty/administration are going to work their tails off to make sure their first classes of students are well placed upon/after graduation. Plus it's public interest mission fits with my goals, Hastings, from my research, is more focused on private firms.

So, I think these are more rational considerations, not just me being "nuts" :wink:

+1 In the end, it's what you make of it.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm

socalren wrote:Bitey, no disrespect, but that is a number heavy statement. They really have obtained a great staff and will have accreditation swiftly. Add in the supporting firms and reputation of the UC system and you'll have a top law school. Who's to say they can't keep their numbers higher than Hastings and Davis? I find that to be a capable feat with their current marketing agenda.

+1, COL in orange county is way cheaper than the Bay, too (its true! if you dont want a waterfront McMansion or a beach front cottage and dont mind living a short drive inland)

and QOL is way better than sacramento
Last edited by S de Garmeaux on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:58 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
socalren wrote:Bitey, no disrespect, but that is a number heavy statement. They really have obtained a great staff and will have accreditation swiftly. Add in the supporting firms and reputation of the UC system and you'll have a top law school. Who's to say they can't keep their numbers higher than Hastings and Davis? I find that to be a capable feat with their current marketing agenda.

+1, COL in orange county is way cheaper than the Bay, too

sac ::shudder::

socalren

Postby socalren » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 pm

sdegarmo wrote:

+1, COL in orange county is way cheaper than the Bay, too

For sure, I'm not "SoCal" Ren for nothing. :)

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:02 pm

BiteyTLS wrote:
Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

they will attempt to keep their median probably at all costs. LSAT is the most difficult statistic to keep up.

BUT 50% are below the 167 median so yea. but you got into hastings!!!!

Irvine/Davis/UCLA/USC/UCB/USD/LLS > Hastings

You are nuts if you think a new, unaccredited Irvine is better than UC Hastings. Once the scholarship money runs dry, Irvine is heading for the bottom of tier 1. Few people are going to pay the full 43k resident/55k non-resident (2011-2012 fees) to attend a school with no record at all.

But that's why they're luring in top applicants right now with scholarship money, for exactly that: to set up a high bar for future applicants. Even when the scholarship money runs out, I think they're going to get applicants with high numbers, though I'm sure not as high as they did last year and this year, without the scholarship incentive. The fact that their first two graduating classes can numerically compete with the T20 schools should be a huge incentive for future applicants to apply. I know for me, if I do end up reapplying next cycle, I'd apply to Irvine regardless of whether a huge scholarship is offered or not. Their staff is rated amongst the highest in the country and Dean Chemerinsky...well, he's Dean Chemerinsky. Not many schools (much less NEW schools) can boast T20 numbers, a top-rated staff, and not to mention, the best location ever.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:35 pm

The legal market is as saturated as ever, the UC system is going broke, LA has like 10 law schools (California total has like 50) and yet Irvine needs a patented new law school. The whole concept is beyond silly. It's almost surreal in many ways.

It will be 5 years before Irvine hits the News and Review. The money will have long since dried up and the 43k+ tuition a year (70k cost of attendance) is going to pull down recruiting decent talent. Very few post-1970 law schools have distinguished themselves significantly. Lawyers-judges score is going to be very, very low, even though they might get a surprisingly high academic rep score. No alum network for hiring. It takes time to crack some of those USNWR categories like that.

It's going to end up like declining Hastings (which is still living of the prestige of a generation ago). But as it stands today, at least Hastings has that storied past.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 pm

I'd accept UCI in a heartbeat. I believe good things will come from UCI, even if it does place in the lower tier1. Irvine is an awesome place to live. It is a mix between the fun of San Fran and the safety/smaller feel of Davis.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:35 pm

PLEEEEEEASE CALLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEEEE <3 I just want to end this pain.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 pm

msch0i wrote:PLEEEEEEASE CALLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEEEE <3 I just want to end this pain.

hilarious when juxtaposed with your avatar

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:37 pm

msch0i wrote:PLEEEEEEASE CALLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEEEE <3 I just want to end this pain.

Mind PM'ng your numbers?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:40 pm

hahahah +1

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:41 pm

BiteyTLS wrote:The legal market is as saturated as ever, the UC system is going broke, LA has like 10 law schools (California total has like 50) and yet Irvine needs a patented new law school. The whole concept is beyond silly. It's almost surreal in many ways.

It will be 5 years before Irvine hits the News and Review. The money will have long since dried up and the 43k+ tuition a year (70k cost of attendance) is going to pull down recruiting decent talent. Very few post-1970 law schools have distinguished themselves significantly. Lawyers-judges score is going to be very, very low, even though they might get a surprisingly high academic rep score. No alum network for hiring. It takes time to crack some of those USNWR categories like that.

It's going to end up like declining Hastings (which is still living of the prestige of a generation ago). But as it stands today, at least Hastings has that storied past.

i agree to several points that you made.

I am hoping that the economy and california in general improves. if any recently formed law school can make it up there, it would be irvine and im betting you would agree. (if you had to make a bet on which new law school can succeed and climb the ranks the quickest)

With that in mind, no alums, and the low lawyers-judges score will affect the first few graduating classes. hopefully irvine goes out of their way to secure good jobs, not only for the graduates but for their own reputation as well. all the firms down in OC who gave millions to the school, will hopefully be recruiting heavily from there.

This is just a guess, but i believe irvine will outrank both hastings and davis. might take a decade but if they can continue on the path they do, i believe they can do it. hopefully scholarships will continue to be given out (even if its not 50% tuition) for a few more years. they have about half the faculty of a full law school, so if they can recruit a faculty that is equally distinguished as the first half, i believe they will be able to accomplish this task. they need to keep the student count low though like they are now to keep up the quality. 60 the first year, and 80 for this year seems good.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”