UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:51 pm

ruleser wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
ruleser wrote:Just my personal opinion - I would feel more comfortable at UCI than any school in the country right now in terms of having a crack at a 160K job.

I am a dumbass.

Ah, the online loser. A common, yet always sadly pathetic breed.

Oh a separate note, anyone else get a low amount of subsidized loans - nowhere near what they max is supposed to be, and get instead unsub to make up for it?

That's the general packet. The total 20500 with some sub and some unsub then the rest made up with grad plus loans.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:55 pm

.Edited for ignoring of loser, returning to positive vibes.
Last edited by ruleser on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:57 pm

ruleser wrote:Listen pathetic wuss, you can lick me. I know pansies like you like to spout off online. People who met me yesterday can probably confirm I'm not someone you would mouth off to in person. So wuss on, but be careful, its a small world, and people encounter each other...

I insist you add "no homo" after that.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Ditto of above
Last edited by ruleser on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:06 pm

ZOT!

NiGhTHaWk830

Postby NiGhTHaWk830 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Veritas wrote:Image

ZOT!

so you SIRed?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 pm

ZOT!

congrats on figuring out where you are heading

good luck dude

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:45 pm

NiGhTHaWk830 wrote:

ZOT!

so you SIRed?

haha, I was just trying to distract the bickering.

But, I might have SIRed :wink:

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 pm

No need to quibble over employment prospects. Just wait until this fall. OCI should do a pretty good job revealing the answers.

Neelg01

Postby Neelg01 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:09 am

Here is to hopefully a magical week for one of us. From the sound of things, they have finalized most of their admit decisions? What do you guys thing?

But yeah, I visited the school a few weeks ago and it was just great! The staff was really accommodating and genuine.

ViP

Postby ViP » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Sorry for asking a seemingly basic question, but I'd like some clarification...

What are the ramifications of submitting the SIR? I don't believe there's a deposit... right?

I'm just wondering if and how submitting the SIR is binding in any way.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 pm

Do you guys think UCI will wait til the 15th deadline to give out waitlists/rejections or start giving those out earlier?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:02 pm

msch0i wrote:Do you guys think UCI will wait til the 15th deadline to give out waitlists/rejections or start giving those out earlier?

i think it depends whether or not they have their 80. most likely they will wait until after the deadline to see the #'s. since people can withdraw even after throwing down their deposits as well, they might keep some waitlisters until the end.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:32 pm

finalaspects wrote:
msch0i wrote:Do you guys think UCI will wait til the 15th deadline to give out waitlists/rejections or start giving those out earlier?

i think it depends whether or not they have their 80. most likely they will wait until after the deadline to see the #'s. since people can withdraw even after throwing down their deposits as well, they might keep some waitlisters until the end.

That makes sense. Sigh, guess we still have some more waiting to do!

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:36 pm

according to LSN last year, we should start to finally get some dings around the end of this week

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:56 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:according to LSN last year, we should start to finally get some dings around the end of this week

Yeah, though they haven't been really following last year's LSN pattern (understandably), hopefully there will be some news soon. No dings, though. Good news :D

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:19 pm

ViP wrote:Sorry for asking a seemingly basic question, but I'd like some clarification...

What are the ramifications of submitting the SIR? I don't believe there's a deposit... right?

I already submitted my SIR so don't have it in front of me to read the exact wording. But generally you are saying you intend to go there. I don't think there is any ramification if you choose not to go or if you hear back from a school you are either WL at or haven't heard from yet and then decide not to go. But it is considered poor form to SIR to multiple schools you've been accepted into (though I know some do it). Generally by the 2nd deposit or statement of intent deadline it is considered more binding. Double check the wording though to make sure it isn't more binding than just saying you intend to enroll.

And yes, no deposit. I was surprised by that myself.

Are you still on the fence or still waiting to hear back from schools?

socal99

Postby socal99 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Well, ASD was awesome. I can honestly say that of all the schools I've visited UCI laid out the red carpet for the admitted students like no other. I like the fact that students seem to be UCI's top priority, and not just an afterthought like at some/most other law schools. I could sense the collaborative environment just by talking to current 1Ls and listening to the faculty. I also thought the library was sick...those rocking chairs will be my undoing.

All in all ASD exceeded my highest expectations. For the first time I am actually genuinely excited about going to law school. Plus, Trader Joe's and In-n-Out right across the street? Are you kidding me?!

ViP

Postby ViP » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 pm

lt0826 wrote:
ViP wrote:Sorry for asking a seemingly basic question, but I'd like some clarification...

I already submitted my SIR so don't have it in front of me to read the exact wording. But generally you are saying you intend to go there. I don't think there is any ramification if you choose not to go or if you hear back from a school you are either WL at or haven't heard from yet and then decide not to go. But it is considered poor form to SIR to multiple schools you've been accepted into (though I know some do it). Generally by the 2nd deposit or statement of intent deadline it is considered more binding. Double check the wording though to make sure it isn't more binding than just saying you intend to enroll.

And yes, no deposit. I was surprised by that myself.

Are you still on the fence or still waiting to hear back from schools?

Hmm, yeah, that's what I figured. I've looked over the form a few times and it remains a bit ambiguous. I certainly understand and respect the ethical side of the argument, but I was unsure of the extent to which submission of the form would be binding. Thanks for clarifying!

I was WL at my #1 choice, so I might be waiting a long time. I also haven't heard back from another top choice... and I applied everywhere in early November.

In any case, UCI is looking better and better with every day :D . ASD was awesome.

sooner

Postby sooner » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:38 am

I am definitely going to UCI and have sent in SIR. Haven't heard from one school I had thought was my first choice, but from what I read here and elsewhere I'm no longer interested anyway. Might not tell them until I hear--I'd still like to find out if I get in and what they offer. How soon after you send SIR can you apply for housing? Did anyone see the different apartments? Are there enough one bedrooms for anyone who want to live alone? I heard that rentals start on first of month. Does anyone know if that's negotiable? When do we really have to be there? Thanks to anyone who has answers.

half_farang

Postby half_farang » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 am

lifeaway1985 wrote:
Veritas wrote:call if you want answers, really. They are very nice.

I live outside US. I guess I cannot afford international calls...

Use Skype. Download is free, and calls are like 5 cents a minute. I'm in Thailand right now and I call the US all the time. Super cheap.

mbv

Postby mbv » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:53 pm

FYI, UCI will not be giving need based grants with their financial aid package. This info was provided by Nasreen (Dir of financial aid) who gave my group the tour of the law school during ASD.

She also said they are not neogtiating merit aid offers to students. Does anyone have any experiences on the contrary? I recall reading someone "poshh.. (username)" saying he/she was international and got a full scholarship. Anyone else?

jayare

Postby jayare » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:33 pm

mbv wrote:FYI, UCI will not be giving need based grants with their financial aid package. This info was provided by Nasreen (Dir of financial aid) who gave my group the tour of the law school during ASD.

She also said they are not neogtiating merit aid offers to students. Does anyone have any experiences on the contrary? I recall reading someone "poshh.. (username)" saying he/she was international and got a full scholarship. Anyone else?

Anecdotal evidence from ASD confirms they aren't negotiating. This seems like a dangerous long-term strategy though. Who would take 50% at UCI (as much as I love it) if you had even 25% to a T14 (especially out of staters whose tuition I've read is expected to rise above 60k by 2013)? I think they're banking on a certain type of student really disregarding finances for the unique UCI opportunity.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 pm

jayare wrote:
mbv wrote:FYI, UCI will not be giving need based grants with their financial aid package. This info was provided by Nasreen (Dir of financial aid) who gave my group the tour of the law school during ASD.

Anecdotal evidence from ASD confirms they aren't negotiating. This seems like a dangerous long-term strategy though. Who would take 50% at UCI (as much as I love it) if you had even 25% to a T14 (especially out of staters whose tuition I've read is expected to rise above 60k by 2013)? I think they're banking on a certain type of student really disregarding finances for the unique UCI opportunity.

I don't think 'banking' and 'UCI' necessarily go together in the same sentence. They aren't trying to buy or invest in students in any such regard, but are instead picking students and trying to make it affordable.

The tuition discount isn't a discount per se - the cost of the roughly $61,500 per student is directly underwritten by private grant funding. That's half a million ($500,000) dollars right there, which works out to be about 50% tuition per student. The first class was worth $700,000. That's quite a bit of money to hand out.

Dangerous strategy? I'm not privy to their finances, but offering unsustainable grants seems to be dangerous as well.

Grad school is expensive, period. There will be hardship involved for many of us, no doubt, but if you truly think it will be to an undue degree, I suggest picking up the phone and calling Dean Ortiz. As far as negotiation goes, they will probably congratulate you on your scholarship to other schools and wish you the best of luck in making a decision.

sooner

Postby sooner » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:44 pm

I can understand why more money from other schools seems attractive. But the schools that offered me the most (range 50-120K for 3 years) aren't in California. I don't think I want to live in East or South, and if I go out of state I would have a better chance of getting a job in the geographical area of the school rather than in Ca. I'm "banking" on getting a job in California sooner if I go to UCI, and that would mean paying off debt faster than if it takes me 6-12 months to get a job because of an out of state JD. And UCI makes it more likely that I'll be a better lawyer, so should help, too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”