UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:54 pm

msch0i wrote:
Veritas wrote:for all you lurkers or regulars who haven't joined up: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 154&ref=ts :mrgreen:

Figured out who you were instantly, having trouble with everyone else :lol:

:lol: I don't know why I even try any more...

When I was visiting a different school I was just chatting with someone when out of the blue they were like "OMG you're veritas" :oops:

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Veritas wrote:
msch0i wrote:
Veritas wrote:for all you lurkers or regulars who haven't joined up: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 154&ref=ts :mrgreen:

When I was visiting a different school I was just chatting with someone when out of the blue they were like "OMG you're veritas" :oops:

I actually LOL'd at that statement.... 8)

NiGhTHaWk830

Postby NiGhTHaWk830 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Veritas wrote:
msch0i wrote:

I haven't joined the group because after all I'm not sure whether I'm going to UCI or not, but I can sort of figure out who you are...ruleser looks like he just joined, so you must be the OTHER guy from SD.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:38 pm

NiGhTHaWk830 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
msch0i wrote:

I haven't joined the group because after all I'm not sure whether I'm going to UCI or not, but I can sort of figure out who you are...ruleser looks like he just joined, so you must be the OTHER guy from SD.

Yea, it's not too hard to figure out!

Did we meet yesterday? I heard two people getting a real good laugh when Dean O was listing the TLSers....

NiGhTHaWk830

Postby NiGhTHaWk830 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Veritas wrote:
Did we meet yesterday? I heard two people getting a real good laugh when Dean O was listing the TLSers....

I don't think we met...but that was probably me laughing.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:13 pm

I didn't joinf facebook yet so must be someone else

About the int'l human rights clinic, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in-house irh clinic - an accepted student said actually an offer is currently extended to a top ihr prof at a t14 to come teach the class and start the clinic

NiGhTHaWk830

Postby NiGhTHaWk830 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:14 pm

ruleser wrote:I didn't joinf facebook yet so must be someone else

About the int'l human rights clinic, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in-house irh clinic - an accepted student said actually an offer is currently extended to a top ihr prof at a t14 to come teach the class and start the clinic

my mistake

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:17 pm

ruleser wrote:I didn't joinf facebook yet so must be someone else

well, get on it!

LauraCB

Postby LauraCB » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:38 pm

That's great news - thanks for the information!

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:40 pm

NiGhTHaWk830 wrote:
Veritas wrote:

I don't think we met...but that was probably me laughing.

She listed the TLSers? That's hilarious!

mbv

Postby mbv » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:25 pm

ASD was really amazing. I had high hopes for UCI's ASD, but they seriously delivered above and beyond.

Reception-- I got to speak with partners at major law firms (which are big $$ supporters of UCI) and also mentors to current students. They seem really enthusiastic about hiring UCI grads. Like REALLY enthusiastic. I asked one guy (forgot the firm name) where else they attend OCI and he said (HYS,etc)... and they are definitely interviewing UCI students with the intention of employing them! Why are they so invested in supporting an OC law school? Because they said they hire and train associates from other top law schools and they take the training and then leave OC and waste OC firm's investment. They figure an OC feeder school will create more employees that STAY in OC, which I would definitely be interested in doing.

I also spoke with two 1L's who are doing PAID firm work this summer. That is not typical! Liz of career services admitted that she cant promise everyone paid firm work during a 1L summer, but she said she's pretty confident that UCI students will be able to find firm work during 2L summer. I must admit that it seems most students at UCI right now are PI focused, but could be my sampling. Also, one of the girls I spoke with is doing a SPLIT summer because she found employment with a Judge but then got another offer and worked something out. The opportunities feel endless. It's amazing.

I also loved the 1L class (so helpful and positive) and the Dean!! <3

mbv

Postby mbv » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:29 pm

MORE INFO !!

A 1L girl told me she's working for a judge who NEVER takes on 1L's but is SO interested in working with a UCI student that he's making an exception.

One guy who has a paid summer 1L job is in the middle of his class! Not even top! How encouraging.

Required median GPA is 3.4, but teachers can stretch or cluster the bell curve any way they choose. Median is just there to keep someone taking a class with a "hard" prof from suffering more GPA wise compared to colleagues who are taking an "easy" prof.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:34 pm

I like your perspective mbv! We kind of focused on different things so I'm excited to hear about what you are sharing. Thanks! :D

mbv

Postby mbv » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Veritas wrote:I like your perspective mbv! We kind of focused on different things so I'm excited to hear about what you are sharing. Thanks! :D

Thanks! I shared many of your POV's (small class size, committed faculty, etc.) but since it's already up I thought I'd share some other info that I acquired throughout the day.

Do you really think the entry level employment opps at UCI will be better than HYS in fall?? I can't believe that I...agree?! (disclaimer: I agree only for OC, I think that HYS will have better opps outside of the region for sure).

It all seems too good to be true, but it also feels real! Everyone from the firms was so sincere and seemed genuninely enthused about UCI.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:47 pm

mbv wrote:
Veritas wrote:I like your perspective mbv! We kind of focused on different things so I'm excited to hear about what you are sharing. Thanks! :D

Thanks! I shared many of your POV's (small class size, committed faculty, etc.) but since it's already up I thought I'd share some other info that I acquired throughout the day.

Do you really think the entry level employment opps at UCI will be better than HYS in fall?? I can't believe that I...agree?! (disclaimer: I agree only for OC, I think that HYS will have better opps outside of the region for sure).

It all seems too good to be true, but it also feels real! Everyone from the firms was so sincere and seemed genuninely enthused about UCI.

It does seem to good and I spent all day trying trying to see where things maybe weren't falling into place. But, the more questions I asked and people I spoke with, the greater confidence I gained in what was being offered.

I'm not sure about the placement stuff. I think UCI is going to be a very different experience from other schools, so comparisons will be difficult. I can affirm that I have full confidence of finding employment and being prepared for that job.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Veritas wrote:
mbv wrote:

It does seem to good and I spent all day trying trying to see where things maybe weren't falling into place. But, the more questions I asked and people I spoke with, the greater confidence I gained in what was being offered.

I'm not sure about the placement stuff. I think UCI is going to be a very different experience from other schools, so comparisons will be difficult. I can affirm that I have full confidence of finding employment and being prepared for that job.

how is it looking for big law jobs that pay 160k? i mean does it compare with HYS?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:53 pm

finalaspects wrote:how is it looking for big law jobs that pay 160k? i mean does it compare with HYS?

I haven't exactly spent a lot of time looking at what it means to be graduating from HYS so I might not have a great view. But, opportunities for corporate law are more than available. "Biglaw" attorneys were individually involved in creating UCI and are excited about having UCI grads in their OC offices (like mbv pointed out). There is no denying you will be well prepared for any field.

I'm not in any position to compare, but those doors are open. Honestly, I don't think you will be able to compare until we have people graduating.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:how is it looking for big law jobs that pay 160k? i mean does it compare with HYS?

I haven't exactly spent a lot of time looking at what it means to be graduating from HYS so I might not have a great view. But, opportunities for corporate law are more than available. "Biglaw" attorneys were individually involved in creating UCI and are excited about having UCI grads in their OC offices (like mbv pointed out). There is no denying you will be well prepared for any field.

I'm not in any position to compare, but those doors are open. Honestly, I don't think you will be able to compare until we have people graduating.

They better be. I just reviewed the financial aid package package and punched in the data to the loan calculator for a 10 year repayment plan ...

"It is estimated that you will need an annual salary of at least $158,810.40 to be able to afford to repay this loan."

mbv

Postby mbv » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Veritas wrote:

I agree with Veritas. Some partners/mentors at the reception were there to assure us that they are very eager to interview and hire UCI grads for their big 160k (they even said that number) jobs. Like I said earlier, there are a few (4 out of 60) 1L's that have PAID summer jobs. I don't know how this compares to other T14's but I know firm jobs are REALLY hard to come by for 1L's. It's also noteworthy that it seems most 1L's are PI focused (which makes sense since they took a risk enrolling and the FREE pricetag attracted them because they're PI focused, etc.)

Liz of Career services said she's confident (no guarantees in life but confident) that 2L's interested in biglaw will find opportunities at OCI, which is firm focused (not PI or gov't focused). And firms in OC have invested hundreds of thousands to UCI since 1989, and now that school is in session, they are eager to recruit.

I asked one firm partner where else they go to OCI, they listed HYS etc, but will be for SURE interviewing UCI students with the intention of hiring (no promises, but intention to hire).

I won't lie that I think opps may change down the line for students in the bottom half of the class because the class will more than double in size, but for now I think corporate opps with be plentiful (my 2 cents). And with top professors (recruited for their recognition and awards in teaching), I'm sure we'll also be prepared, or as prepared as any other T14 grad.

Also recall I said someone in the middle of the class (I went there and asked) said he got a PAID firm job (granted it is a small firm, but still pays incredible and its corporate stuff). Another girl got a firm job in a BIGLAW firm but she's, I believe, like a really top student.

mbv

Postby mbv » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:30 pm

lobstar wrote:
Veritas wrote:

They better be. I just reviewed the financial aid package package and punched in the data to the loan calculator for a 10 year repayment plan ...

"It is estimated that you will need an annual salary of at least $158,810.40 to be able to afford to repay this loan."

This is a concern of mine...it's still 100K loan and I have cheaper options in the T14. I am also curious to see how this year's class stats will look. Last year's were phenomenal, but at a half scholarship I am concerned. Though, Chemerinsky said at ASD that they WILL keep those numbers and if they can only recruit a class of 50 to maintain those numbers, that's what they'll do and they won't enroll 80. (uh..hope that doesn't scare anyone who is still waiting for a response from UCI, but that's really what he said!)

Why didn't I apply last year!?
Last edited by mbv on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Just my personal opinion - I would feel more comfortable at UCI than any school in the country right now in terms of having a crack at a 160K job. At Harvard, you could get lost in the mix, be student #400, not get to do reviews, get a basic ed but no experience. In these first classes at UCI, from day 1 you have a lawyer as a mentor/work in the real world with them, do pro bono, etc., and the community will be looking out for everyone in the class. There aren't that many, only 60 one year, 80 the next - they have 70 OCI firms lined up, and a bunch other they had to turn away because there aren't enough students yet. I don't think any other school will offer the ops/experience that UCI will for its first few classes, never mind guaranteed chances to be involved in creating what you wish - the current 1Ls were not trying to horde ops, they were eagerly looking forward to having reinforcements and seeing what we come up with/want to create.

I've attended other ASDs and tours, and obviously researched schools. Other schools are great for certain, but don't know of any other that has the least risk of just get diploma-milled or ignored as part of some lower rung of the class...

LobStar, how much are you figuring for living exp. on your calculation?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:41 pm

ruleser wrote:Just my personal opinion - I would feel more comfortable at UCI than any school in the country right now in terms of having a crack at a 160K job.

Outed as a dumbass.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
ruleser wrote:Just my personal opinion - I would feel more comfortable at UCI than any school in the country right now in terms of having a crack at a 160K job.

Outed as a dumbass.

must you troll every thread? :roll:

you don't have to agree, your opinion is fine, but do you have to be a jerk about it?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:45 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

I am a dumbass.

Ah, the online loser. A common, yet always sadly pathetic breed.

Oh a separate note, anyone else get a low amount of subsidized loans - nowhere near what they max is supposed to be, and get instead unsub to make up for it?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Veritas wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Outed as a dumbass.

must you troll every thread? :roll:

you don't have to agree, your opinion is fine, but do you have to be a jerk about it?

Not really trolling, he made a completely retarded statement (I know, I know, very common for him)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”