UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
calgal17

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby calgal17 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Do you think they are actually going to give out waitlists?

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:02 pm

calgal17 wrote:Do you think they are actually going to give out waitlists?

They did last year, and they did use it.

Dean Ortiz said they expect the yield to be lower than last year (what with the 50% less money), so while they admitted more, expect the pool to be more in flux.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would expect that they're waiting for the responses from the 4/1 ASD and the 4/15 SIR deadline before deploying a waitlist.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:07 pm

lobstar wrote:

They did last year, and they did use it.

Dean Ortiz said they expect the yield to be lower than last year (what with the 50% less money), so while they admitted more, expect the pool to be more in flux.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would expect that they're waiting for the responses from the 4/1 ASD and the 4/15 SIR deadline before deploying a waitlist.

^^^ +1. I was told the big wave of SIRs is expected post-ASD. So keep positive, cause there is definitely a chance of future movement (I would think)

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Tofu wrote:
msch0i wrote:I'm not sure if this was common knowledge or not, but TLS rankings have UCI estimated at rank 29 :D

Still waiting for that phone call? haha

Yep ;D Just being patient..

ViP

Postby ViP » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:18 pm

Undoubtedly. But there's no way of telling how many waitlists will be accepted, if any...

As Lobstar just explained, the yield this year won't be as strong as it was last year (understandably so). In other words, more accepted applicants will turn down the offer. Of course, that doesn't mean each person that withdraws will be replaced with a waitlisted applicant. When I spoke to the Chem a couple of weeks ago, he said they'd already accepted around 160 students, but they expect a class of around 80 students. I have a feeling they certainly won't push beyond 80.

The waitlist is their safety net in case too many students enroll elsewhere. We'll just have to see how many students decide to matriculate at UCI.

sooner

Postby sooner » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:24 pm

For those of you have visited already or going to ASD--please post opinions on housing. Is there any way to get cheap off campus apartments without having a long commute? what about parking permits? Do most law students live on campus? I haven't lived in a dorm since I was 19!

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm

sooner wrote:For those of you have visited already or going to ASD--please post opinions on housing. Is there any way to get cheap off campus apartments without having a long commute? what about parking permits? Do most law students live on campus? I haven't lived in a dorm since I was 19!

There are a few on-campus graduate housing communities. Verano Place is more like a regular apartment complex. The others are more dorm-y. They're all a better deal than anything you can find off-campus, so most people live in one of them. Some people are far enough away that they take the campus shuttle (free, runs pretty much constantly), but I walk to class every day. I can be out the door at 8:50 and in my seat by 9:00.

Commuters have to buy parking permits, which run something like 50 bucks a month if I remember correctly. On-campus is really the way to go if you want to get a good deal.

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:47 am

It's after midnight for me since I live abroad, but I guess it’s still morning in the USA and some of you guys are on the plane to LA. I hope you have wonderful time at ASD. I wish I were there, too.

I’m still trying to find a way to afford living expenses and I got some questions about how much it would actually cost. If I live in the cheapest housing unit (according to the packet we got, Verano Place 3 bedrooms, right?), eat the cheapest stuff, live without a car, and forgo luxury, will I be able to live with less than $17,660, the estimated nine-month budget? Or do I need more than that to have a not-psychopathic life?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 pm

poslhs wrote:It's after midnight for me since I live abroad, but I guess it’s still morning in the USA and some of you guys are on the plane to LA. I hope you have wonderful time at ASD. I wish I were there, too.

I’m still trying to find a way to afford living expenses and I got some questions about how much it would actually cost. If I live in the cheapest housing unit (according to the packet we got, Verano Place 3 bedrooms, right?), eat the cheapest stuff, live without a car, and forgo luxury, will I be able to live with less than $17,660, the estimated nine-month budget? Or do I need more than that to have a not-psychopathic life?

I've spent a lot of time breaking it down, so hopefully I can help a bit.

I broke it down estimating that living VP 2bdrm at about $480/mo and with car expenses around $300/mo and with food/personal/books/health care it all fits in the $17,660. It's definitely a tight budget, but it fits. I think you can ask for a little more if necessary.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Veritas wrote:
poslhs wrote:I broke it down estimating that living VP 2bdrm at about $480/mo and with car expenses around $300/mo and with food/personal/books/health care it all fits in the $17,660. It's definitely a tight budget, but it fits. I think you can ask for a little more if necessary.

You can definitely get your budget increased to purchase a laptop if you need one.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:53 pm

lt0826 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
poslhs wrote:I broke it down estimating that living VP 2bdrm at about $480/mo and with car expenses around $300/mo and with food/personal/books/health care it all fits in the $17,660. It's definitely a tight budget, but it fits. I think you can ask for a little more if necessary.

You can definitely get your budget increased to purchase a laptop if you need one.

Oh wait, nevermind, I think getting loans as an international student is part of the problem in the first place. Sorry.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:55 pm

lt0826 wrote:
lt0826 wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Oh wait, nevermind, I think getting loans as an international student is part of the problem in the first place. Sorry.

^^^ you're right. I think poslhs can definitely keep the cost low, even below the $17,660.

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:42 pm

Thanks for answering. And yes, the whole no loan situation is the problem, but I’m still optimistic! I think it’s now or never for me to study since the whole financial situation is not going to get better any time soon. I’ll definitely be there with you guys this fall, if I can find a way to afford living expenses. If I can’t, well, at least I tried. :D

Also, I do need to buy a laptop. I just googled and found out that its cost varies greatly. Is 200$ one gonna last 3 years? I’ve never had one, so I have no idea.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:12 pm

poslhs wrote:Thanks for answering. And yes, the whole no loan situation is the problem, but I’m still optimistic! I think it’s now or never for me to study since the whole financial situation is not going to get better any time soon. I’ll definitely be there with you guys this fall, if I can find a way to afford living expenses. If I can’t, well, at least I tried. :D

Also, I do need to buy a laptop. I just googled and found out that its cost varies greatly. Is 200$ one gonna last 3 years? I’ve never had one, so I have no idea.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a new laptop for $200. At that range, you're going to be getting a netbook, which will likely be insufficient for law school as your only computer. You should opt for a full size laptop with an optical drive, and buying a used laptop is highly inadvisable, as they're very delicate machines and you really, really don't want your computer to fail on you during midterms. There's no way to tell how much abuse a used computer has taken, and most internal components can begin to fail after 3 years of heavy use (they're only rated for x hours of run time).

Something more like a basic Dell is probably the most affordable laptop to go for. Windows 7 and a screen size at or exceeding 13.3" is a must. 15" laptops are usually the cheapest.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-inspiron-1545/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-inspiron-1545&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptop-inspiron-1545_anav_2~~

Also, don't forget you'll also need to purchase productivity software as well, i.e. the Microsoft Office suite. Most schools sell these licenses on the cheap, but if it's not available at UCI, then you may need to budget for that as well.

Update:

UCI does sell a discounted version of the MS Office Suite:

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by lobstar on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:08 pm

Last edited by DoctorNick189 on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:50 pm

DoctorNick189 wrote:I'm not sure how true it is that you can get your budget increased -- I asked Nasreen about this in the context of financing a car, and here's what she had to say:

Your cost of attendance to attend UCI, School of Law is $68,233.50 as an out of state student. Your cost of attendance includes direct cost (tuition and fees) and indirect cost (books, supplies, room, board, personal expenses and transportation):

Direct Cost: $50,573.50
Indirect Cost: $17,660.00

We are prohibited to offer loans above and beyond your cost of attendance. Depending on how you budget your cost of living, I doubt you will have enough to purchase a car.

I may be mistaken, but I think laptops are different. If you need one I would ask Nasreen. It may depend on whether the school actually requires a laptop or not. If they require one, and you need one, then I suspect they can add it to your cost of attendance. I may be mistaken on this. I just know as an undergrad when my laptop died, I was able to get an increase in my need amount to acquire a replacement laptop. It may vary by school.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:34 am

Plenty of people take notes on netbooks (and some actually do it the olde tyme way with legal pads and pens)

There's a bunch of computers in the library if you would ever need something more advanced

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Have fun at ASD everyone! Please share when you get back :D

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:53 pm

msch0i wrote:Have fun at ASD everyone! Please share when you get back :D

Maybe ASD is on April 1st because everyone admitted was a big April Fool's joke, and we are the two that were really admitted?

I can hope right?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:12 am

I guess I'm the first T.L.S.er to pop on post-ASD (some are still at the amazing pub on campus I'm sure)

I'm going to try not to say too much about one of the most amazing experiences I've had. I can't really convey I don't think what is going on at UCI - it is like an entire legal community - firms, judges, politicans, invested a decade to make this dream become real, and now they are invested in having its students and the school succeed. At the reception at the end, there were seemingly more top firms/judges/etc than at some OCI's these days, all saying they have been waiting for UCI law students for years and are committed to recruiting, etc. The professors are all amazing and also the type committed to building, and they were joking around with each other and great to get along with. The students were all amazing, nice, friendly, and driven, had founded so many great things in the first year. The main point is unlike some other schools where you'd be one of 300 or 500 in a class, one of 1000 or 2000 in the school, and so have to fight to get involved, have few ops as 1L, every single student in this school will be literally overwhelmed with ops from day 1 - all UCI 1L's had mentors, pro bono work, got to do things like fly to Miami to work with Haitian refugees (Yalies and GULCers showed up for the same prog, but only 2L and 3Ls), found a law review/women's law society/black law society/IP law society. The next class will have mentors, pro bono - they will be starting an international human rights clinic and class to go along, you will be working at firms/etc as a student. You can do a semester in DC with UCDC.

I don't think any school will have as good entre ops - not even HLS - just because there is a whole community been waiting a decade, deeply invested, and waiting for UCI students to hire/help succeed, and there are so few students and lots of firms/etc invested.

I can't really explain well enough I don't think. Having visited a few schools, no other school had anything like not just the caliber of teacher, but the universal passion - they are not just going through the motion for masses of yet more students - they are working to build something and very involved - and all very top notch.

And, of course, the TLSers there were very cool (met a few)

Long and short, I started the day sort of expecting to not find the school worth leaving the good-paying job I have, especially I.T.E. - I left thinking it would be a big loss to not take this op even in favor of a good-paying job.

Still have a little thinking to do, but it would be very hard not to take this amazing, once in a lifetime op that is unlike anything available anywhere else - to have the chance to help make something that truly can be top notch, and be surrounded by so much interest and enthusiasm and talent and a sort of unserved market....

I guess I didn't do too well in not saying too much.

Oh yeah, Dean Ortiz definitely reads T.L.S. - and openly called out some TLSers names during her intro... Hi there Dean:) Not saying this just because she'll read this, but she is the one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Honestly, I have no reason to make any of this up, I'm already accepted.

Glad to answer any q's
Last edited by ruleser on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

NiGhTHaWk830

Postby NiGhTHaWk830 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:19 am

Dean Ortiz mentioned me, my friend protokurios, veritas, lobstar (who she said wasn't there but she had a chance to talk to) and some other TLSers in her speech after Dean Chemerinsky's speech at 9am...made me and protokurios chuckle.
And I know you hopefuls out there don't want to hear this, but she also said they probably aren't admitting anyone else.

So I guess you're very close to SIRing then, ruleser?
Last edited by NiGhTHaWk830 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:21 am

NiGhTHaWk830 wrote:Dean Ortiz mentioned me, my friend protokurios, veritas, lobstar (who she said wasn't there but she had a chance to talk to) and some others in her speech after Dean Chemerinsky's speech at 9am...made me chuckle.

So I guess you're very close to SIRing then, ruleser?

I didn't think I'd be saying this, but yes, just have to talk with my work a bit, but I think by next week I'll be sending in and withdrawing other places.

And you?
Last edited by ruleser on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:23 am

ruleser wrote:Oh yeah, Dean Ortiz definitely reads T.L.S. - and openly called out some TLSers names during her intro...

Seriously? What did she say?

NiGhTHaWk830

Postby NiGhTHaWk830 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 am

calgal17 wrote:
ruleser wrote:Oh yeah, Dean Ortiz definitely reads T.L.S. - and openly called out some TLSers names during her intro...

Seriously? What did she say?

She said we were "less snarky" and nicer than last year's posters, haha.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 am

I'm just reeling with excitement after today. Everything was fantastic. We just spent a couple hours mingling with the bigwigs of the OC legal community. One attorney rulesar and I were chatting with literally pointed out all the amazing/powerful people in the room.

Rulesar, sorry I didn't have a chance to say bye! It was so great meeting you and good job calling me out :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”