UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Inygma

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:55 pm

finalaspects wrote:
ViP wrote:I spoke with The Chem a few days ago.

About 160 admitted students so far. Still shooting for a class of 80 students.

I expect very few new acceptances (if any) at this point, but I think we'll see plenty of waitlists in the near future. Just my personal opinion. :|

yea i pretty much already gave up hope... i think 50% will easily accept.

I wouldn't lose hope yet. Half-tuition at a California school is still expensive (I think Veritas calculated a little over $100k over the 3-years). I am not sure people will pass up other options for an unranked unaccredited school, especially because people they are accepting are getting into T14 or T25 with money. Being a native Orange County boy I would love to go to UCI, but I don't know how much it appeals to people 1) out of state and 2) from NorCal. I don't believe they'll accept many more people though, but I still think maybe another 30sh?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Inygma wrote:I wouldn't lose hope yet. Half-tuition at a California school is still expensive (I think Veritas calculated a little over $100k over the 3-years). I am not sure people will pass up other options for an unranked unaccredited school, especially because people they are accepting are getting into T14 or T25 with money. Being a native Orange County boy I would love to go to UCI, but I don't know how much it appeals to people 1) out of state and 2) from NorCal. I don't believe they'll accept many more people though, but I still think maybe another 30sh?

omg hope so :D

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Still a lot of unrequited love going on in this thread. UCI you coy mistress.

dysonfree

Postby dysonfree » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Withdrawn today to give my seat to somebody else as requested by UCI. Got about 1/2 tuition from USC.
Good luck to those still waiting.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:22 pm

dysonfree wrote:Withdrawn today to give my seat to somebody else as requested by UCI. Got about 1/2 tuition from USC.
Good luck to those still waiting.

Good luck at SC!

njskatchmo

Postby njskatchmo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:59 pm

If I were to stay in a hotel for the ASD that didn't have a shuttle to UCI, how would I get there?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:36 pm

njskatchmo wrote:If I were to stay in a hotel for the ASD that didn't have a shuttle to UCI, how would I get there?

Check the OCTA website...they should have bus line routes, etc. If not...catch a ride with a future classmate? ;D

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:24 pm

msch0i wrote:
njskatchmo wrote:If I were to stay in a hotel for the ASD that didn't have a shuttle to UCI, how would I get there?

Check the OCTA website...they should have bus line routes, etc. If not...catch a ride with a future classmate? ;D

Ya, I am most likely going to the ASD and will be driving up from San Diego. Let me know if you need a ride in the AM.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Dear Irvine,
Will this week be the week that I get the magical phone call? <3

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:13 pm

I visited today and had a really nice time meeting with students and staff.

Everyone (read: all 60 students) is employed for the summer in all sorts of work. About a third of students are working for federal and state judges. Most students seem to have public interest gigs. They just had a fundraiser for funding for the summer for those students, too.

Everyone in class was very engaged and the professor was really terrific. Very refreshing atmosphere.

Let me know if you have any questions, don't want to ramble on :D

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:16 pm

As of today, Irvine is the LAST school I'm waiting to hear from...

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:48 pm

calgal17 wrote:As of today, Irvine is the LAST school I'm waiting to hear from...

Best for last, yea? Good luck! :P

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:08 pm

calgal17 wrote:As of today, Irvine is the LAST school I'm waiting to hear from...

Still holding out for you Calgal!

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:09 am

gymboree wrote:

Still holding out for you Calgal!

Thanks Gymbo! :mrgreen:

lobstar wrote:

Best for last, yea? Good luck! :P

We shall see!

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:32 am

Veritas wrote:I visited today and had a really nice time meeting with students and staff.

Everyone (read: all 60 students) is employed for the summer in all sorts of work. About a third of students are working for federal and state judges. Most students seem to have public interest gigs. They just had a fundraiser for funding for the summer for those students, too.

Everyone in class was very engaged and the professor was really terrific. Very refreshing atmosphere.

Hey, I didn't even notice any extra people in the room during class today, so either you were on the opposite side of the room or I was just amazingly unobservant this morning. Were you there for conlaw or torts (or both)?

Stupendous_Man

Postby Stupendous_Man » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:47 am

Huh, people were in class this week!? I visited today, but Dean Ortiz was out and I figured it was Spring Break. I didn't even ask about a class visit! Grgh. Well, I got to visit the campus and the area anyway, and it was a very enlightening experience.

1800calturk

Postby 1800calturk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Is anyone thinking about negotiating Irvine's scholarship? I know one guy did based on need. I don't have need per se, but I do have scholarships at a few other very comparable schools which have matched Irvine's scholarship. I don't mean to sound ungrateful because Irvine has a lot of positives besides the $ (in fact most students claim the money was not a big factor...), but it seems like students at/above both of their medians are getting around $20K at T20's anyway. Are Irvine's numbers about to plummet?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:24 pm

pany1985 wrote:
Veritas wrote:I visited today and had a really nice time meeting with students and staff.

Hey, I didn't even notice any extra people in the room during class today, so either you were on the opposite side of the room or I was just amazingly unobservant this morning. Were you there for conlaw or torts (or both)?

I made a small scene asking if certain chairs were taken or not. I ended up just sitting off to the side, not at the desk, in a chair (this was just in torts). I got there only a couple minutes before class started and was on the side of the room where there is the extra table in the back. I even thought to myself that you would be in the class, but then realized I wouldn't even know...

Glad I wasn't a disturbance!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:25 pm

Stupendous_Man wrote:Huh, people were in class this week!? I visited today, but Dean Ortiz was out and I figured it was Spring Break. I didn't even ask about a class visit! Grgh. Well, I got to visit the campus and the area anyway, and it was a very enlightening experience.

Spring break was last week, I believe. But Dean Ortiz is out until the 29th (based on an out of office reply I received yesterday)

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:13 am

Dean Ortiz was indeed out of the office - she was up here in norcal meeting with some of us norcal admits! The nero was great, as was the coffee (nothing worse than a cold espresso imho). Of course, the company was grand. :D

I'm still waiting for my financial aid response (est first week in April), and I haven't tried negotiating with them. I gather that UCI has laid its cards on the table - take them for what they are. I could go full ride at a T20, but I really like UCI far, far more, and whatever financial package I end up going with at UCI will be affordable, I'm sure. If my financial situation merits additional grant funding, then I'll get it. If there are others needier than me and the money dries up, well, then that's the way that the money's allocated. :?

Plan B: rich girlfriend to defray living expenses. 8)

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 pm

lobstar wrote:Plan B: rich girlfriend to defray living expenses. 8)

There are lots of those in Orange County :D

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:54 pm

lobstar wrote:Dean Ortiz was indeed out of the office - she was up here in norcal meeting with some of us norcal admits! The nero was great, as was the coffee (nothing worse than a cold espresso imho). Of course, the company was grand. :D

I'm still waiting for my financial aid response (est first week in April), and I haven't tried negotiating with them. I gather that UCI has laid its cards on the table - take them for what they are. I could go full ride at a T20, but I really like UCI far, far more, and whatever financial package I end up going with at UCI will be affordable, I'm sure. If my financial situation merits additional grant funding, then I'll get it. If there are others needier than me and the money dries up, well, then that's the way that the money's allocated. :?

Plan B: rich girlfriend to defray living expenses. 8)

:( Wahhh I'm in norcal! Where's the love?

socal99

Postby socal99 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:21 pm

This just in: all 60 1Ls have secured summer employment: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _students/

"According to the Recorder’s count, 30 students have jobs with nonprofits, 17 with judges, and the rest in law firms and prosecutors’ offices. The school is still unaccredited, but it’s enjoying a “honeymoon” period, according to Charles Cannon, the law school's assistant dean of development and external affairs."

I guess the question is, will this honeymoon period extend to next summer's (slightly bigger) crop of 1Ls as well?

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:50 pm

socal99 wrote:This just in: all 60 1Ls have secured summer employment: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _students/

"According to the Recorder’s count, 30 students have jobs with nonprofits, 17 with judges, and the rest in law firms and prosecutors’ offices. The school is still unaccredited, but it’s enjoying a “honeymoon” period, according to Charles Cannon, the law school's assistant dean of development and external affairs."

I guess the question is, will this honeymoon period extend to next summer's (slightly bigger) crop of 1Ls as well?

I'm waiting to hear the results of 2L OCI this fall to decide whether turning down UC Irvine last year was a mistake.

socal99

Postby socal99 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:22 pm

jcl2 wrote:
socal99 wrote:This just in: all 60 1Ls have secured summer employment: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _students/

I'm waiting to hear the results of 2L OCI this fall to decide whether turning down UC Irvine last year was a mistake.

Where did you end up going to school if you don't mind my asking?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”