UC Irvine 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
calgal17

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Postby calgal17 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Borhas wrote:
msch0i wrote:
1800calturk wrote:
msch0i wrote:To the admits, when is the deposit deadline for UCI? Just so those of us waiting have a good idea of when to expect waves of decisions...

April 15th

Thanks.

One more looong month of waiting to go, I suppose :?

of course you call always give'em the finger and withdraw your app

I can't bring myself to do it... I like being judged :?

lol. I feel the same way. :roll:

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 pm

I think there are people who haven’t withdrawn but will do soon, so a few spots will be opened. I’m afraid I could be one of those. I love UCI but I can’t afford this. There is just no way.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:35 pm

poslhs wrote:I think there are people who haven’t withdrawn but will do soon, so a few spots will be opened. I’m afraid I could be one of those. I love UCI but I can’t afford this. There is just no way.

International students in the US usually pay full sticker; I'd think UCI would be incredibly affordable relative to other schools. To be honest, I'm not sure how I'm going to pay for it either, but I figure if I can get a loan for the right amount I'll just deal with it later.

As a general rule, governments fund the educations of their own citizens because of the Pigouvian benefit, which is probably why the FAFSA isn't available to you. Have you considered funding opportunities with your own government? I would not be surprised if other countries were interested in sending students to study in the US, particularly if they were to return afterward.

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Believe me. I looked into every possible way to get funding but there was no way. I can’t even get a loan without paying unbelievably huge interest which I should start paying right away. Even if I eat the cheapest ramen everyday and buy only used books, (which is exactly what I did during university) I can’t borrow enough money unless I give one of my kidneys to a moneylender. UCI has been really generous to me so I might shed some tears when I withdraw.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:44 am

poslhs wrote:Believe me. I looked into every possible way to get funding but there was no way. I can’t even get a loan without paying unbelievably huge interest which I should start paying right away. Even if I eat the cheapest ramen everyday and buy only used books, (which is exactly what I did during university) I can’t borrow enough money unless I give one of my kidneys to a moneylender. UCI has been really generous to me so I might shed some tears when I withdraw.

Gee, that really sucks. I'm not looking forward to the 6.8% and 8.5% interest loans, myself. Too bad you can't put up your law degree as collateral - the banks might feel better if they could repossess your degree if you default.

eroica10

Postby eroica10 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:31 am

poslhs wrote:Believe me. I looked into every possible way to get funding but there was no way. I can’t even get a loan without paying unbelievably huge interest which I should start paying right away. Even if I eat the cheapest ramen everyday and buy only used books, (which is exactly what I did during university) I can’t borrow enough money unless I give one of my kidneys to a moneylender. UCI has been really generous to me so I might shed some tears when I withdraw.

That is too bad. Have you tried bargaining with the financial aid office? Maybe they will offer more than half ride if your numbers are really impressive or they really like you

I am also an intl student, not the only one I hope...

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Call financial aid and try to figure something out. They certainly don't want to lose good students because of money issues.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:31 pm

pany1985 wrote:Call financial aid and try to figure something out. They certainly don't want to lose good students because of money issues.

are there need based grants?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Wonder when they're going to start WLing people..

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:35 pm

msch0i wrote:Wonder when they're going to start WLing people..

probably very soon. near or right after their deposit deadline.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:42 pm

finalaspects wrote:

But the deadline is a month away? They started waitlisting people in mid-March (first one was 3/11 on LSN) last year. Hope this means we see SOME activity soon :(

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:44 pm

msch0i wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

But the deadline is a month away? They started waitlisting people in mid-March (first one was 3/11 on LSN) last year. Hope this means we see SOME activity soon :(

i think last year they were worried that a lot of people will withdraw since it was their first year... this year i think they know better so there might a shorter waitlist since majority will accept the offer.

i know i would...

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm

If you have a relative in the US who is a citizen, has an excellent credit score, and is willing to co-sign a loan for you, you can qualify for low-interest loans. I am paying for my Sallie Mae loan at 2.125%.

Incidentally, I attended UCI for my MBA as an international student (graduated in '07).

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 pm

jman77 wrote:

If you have a relative in the US who is a citizen, has an excellent credit score, and is willing to co-sign a loan for you, you can qualify for low-interest loans. I am paying for my Sallie Mae loan at 2.125%.

Incidentally, I attended UCI for my MBA as an international student (graduated in '07).

2.125%??? My hubby has amazing credit - is this gradplus because their website says 8% for gradplus? If this is another kind of loan please let me know the details.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 pm

lt0826 wrote:
jman77 wrote:

2.125%??? My hubby has amazing credit - is this gradplus because their website says 8% for gradplus? If this is another kind of loan please let me know the details.

1-01 UC Graduate Business Loan-UNSUB/
SLM PRIVATE CREDIT STUDENT LN TR Repayment 11/27/2006 $19,205.13 2.125% Loan
Transaction
History

1-02 UC Graduate Business Loan-UNSUB/
SLM PRIVATE CREDIT STUDENT LN TR Repayment 12/07/2006 $4,828.39 2.125% Loan
Transaction
History

That's an actual copy-paste from my loan summary page. It's a variable rate loan too...started out higher, but now at 2.125%. I had my aunt, who has just about an 800 credit score, co-sign the loan for me.

Edit: This is Sallie Mae, by the way. I will probably be using them again to finance whatever portion of my law education won't be covered by schollies.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 pm

jman77 wrote:
lt0826 wrote:
jman77 wrote:

1-01 UC Graduate Business Loan-UNSUB/
SLM PRIVATE CREDIT STUDENT LN TR Repayment 11/27/2006 $19,205.13 2.125% Loan
Transaction
History

1-02 UC Graduate Business Loan-UNSUB/
SLM PRIVATE CREDIT STUDENT LN TR Repayment 12/07/2006 $4,828.39 2.125% Loan
Transaction
History

That's an actual copy-paste from my loan summary page. It's a variable rate loan too...started out higher, but now at 2.125%. I had my aunt, who has just about an 800 credit score, co-sign the loan for me.

Edit: This is Sallie Mae, by the way. I will probably be using them again to finance whatever portion of my law education won't be covered by schollies.

And just to clarify further, I obtained the Sallie Mae loan through the UCI financial aid office...

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Actually, I already contacted financial aid office and they were more than helpful. They offered me full scholarship. Dean Oritz and Director of financial aid Zia are really kind and nice. It’s just that my situation is more complicated than ‘Oh! The tuition is too high!’ Also, I don’t have anyone to cosign my loan. That’s why I have googled ‘kidney price.’ Selling a kidney is of course illegal, and I would never do that; but I got curious because I heard that some loan sharks will force you to sell a kidney to them if you don’t pay the debt. I wanted to know the real market value.

(I apologize for venting here. I got no one to talk about these things. I never told my parents exactly how much law school costs and they are super excited that I got accepted. Now they are like ‘it’s your last birthday with us’ and I don’t have the heart to tell them that it might not happen.)

gfg12

Postby gfg12 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 pm

@poslhs, I hope things work out for you!

I visited UCI last week and spoke with some people in admissions. I didn't ask when they were going to start WLing people, but I did get some other interesting information. They told me that about 70% of people already have summer employment and of those about 25-30% are paid. About 40% are going out of state and one is going to be in Singapore. They also told me that they have bi-weekly coffee sessions with the deans to check in and see what students feel is missing and what they want to see (I'm not sure if that has been discussed yet or not). Off the top of my head, I don't remember much else, but if you have specific questions, I'll try to answer. Everyone was fabulously nice and it made me really excited to maybe (probably?) go there in the fall.

lobstar

Postby lobstar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:56 am

poslhs wrote:Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Actually, I already contacted financial aid office and they were more than helpful. They offered me full scholarship. Dean Oritz and Director of financial aid Zia are really kind and nice. It’s just that my situation is more complicated than ‘Oh! The tuition is too high!’ Also, I don’t have anyone to cosign my loan. That’s why I have googled ‘kidney price.’ Selling a kidney is of course illegal, and I would never do that; but I got curious because I heard that some loan sharks will force you to sell a kidney to them if you don’t pay the debt. I wanted to know the real market value.

(I apologize for venting here. I got no one to talk about these things. I never told my parents exactly how much law school costs and they are super excited that I got accepted. Now they are like ‘it’s your last birthday with us’ and I don’t have the heart to tell them that it might not happen.)

Wow ... full ride ... just by calling ...

Seems like they want you a lot more than they want the rest of us.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:04 am

lobstar wrote:Wow ... full ride ... just by calling ...

Hey, be glad they at least want you. The rest of us are expecting breakup letters soon :(

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:16 am

msch0i wrote:
lobstar wrote:Wow ... full ride ... just by calling ...

Hey, be glad they at least want you. The rest of us are expecting breakup letters soon :(

You are so right. My decision would be a lot easier right now if I had a free ride though :D . I definitely pass on Tx and Georgetown with a free ride to Irvine.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:33 pm

poslhs check ur inbox! :wink:

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Anyone else on here who might be leaving their spouse behind while in law school? Hubby is getting anxious at the idea of quitting his job. We are thinking of having him request going down to a 4 day workweek and then having him come out to see me on the weekends when he can. But I am not looking forward to the idea of being away from him for three years. Might be good if there is a support group of sorts for those of us with spouses left behind.

If we decide to go this route then Vista Del Campo starts to look like the best housing option as a furnished unit would be a plus

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:37 pm

I spoke with The Chem a few days ago.

About 160 admitted students so far. Still shooting for a class of 80 students.

I expect very few new acceptances (if any) at this point, but I think we'll see plenty of waitlists in the near future. Just my personal opinion. :|

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:40 pm

ViP wrote:I spoke with The Chem a few days ago.

About 160 admitted students so far. Still shooting for a class of 80 students.

I expect very few new acceptances (if any) at this point, but I think we'll see plenty of waitlists in the near future. Just my personal opinion. :|

yea i pretty much already gave up hope... i think 50% will easily accept.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”