UC Irvine 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Gold

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Post by finalaspects » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:Example:

Ave Maria School of Law started its law school in fall 2000. It received its provisional on August of 2002, and its full accreditation on August of 2005.

"ANN ARBOR, Mich., Aug. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Ave Maria School of Law announced today that it has received full accreditation from the American Bar Association (ABA). The Law School, which first opened for classes in fall 2000 and received ABA provisional accreditation in August 2002, has been granted full accreditation in the shortest time frame possible."

Apparently the shortest time frame is 5 years....
Provisional is enough to do anything a fully accredited school can do. All it means is that it's new/temporary until full can be granted. You still take the regular bar and can practice like anyone else.
Not true. It depends on each intuition/business. For example UC Berkeley does not accept transfer students from provisionally approved law schools.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:16 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Ave Maria School of Law started its law school in fall 2000. It received its provisional on August of 2002, and its full accreditation on August of 2005.

"ANN ARBOR, Mich., Aug. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Ave Maria School of Law announced today that it has received full accreditation from the American Bar Association (ABA). The Law School, which first opened for classes in fall 2000 and received ABA provisional accreditation in August 2002, has been granted full accreditation in the shortest time frame possible."

Provisional is enough to do anything a fully accredited school can do. All it means is that it's new/temporary until full can be granted. You still take the regular bar and can practice like anyone else.
Not true. It depends on each intuition/business. For example UC Berkeley does not accept transfer students from provisionally approved law schools.
Oh, good point. I was just considering going to UCI and graduating from that institution. Although, if I was to choose UCI, I wouldn't go with the mind set to transfer. You're better off going to an established school that isn't looking to have students build up the program.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Veritas wrote: Oh, good point. I was just considering going to UCI and graduating from that institution. Although, if I was to choose UCI, I wouldn't go with the mind set to transfer. You're better off going to an established school that isn't looking to have students build up the program.
Yea one should not ever go to law school hoping to transfer anyways. Someone earlier said that government jobs, such as the military requires law schools to be ABA approved. I wonder if provisional counts.

also i see your old avatar is back! welcome back

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:23 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:

As for jobs, I think as long as you plan on practicing in socal, even a provisional accreditation from Irvine should be ok. It may not compete with UCLA/Berkeley graduates, but it won't instantly take you out of the running. There are some good firms willing to interview Irvine students/graduates (I even see government listings :shock: ) I don't think we should be worried about job prospects upon graduation (minus the economy factor) just because Irvine won't be fully accredited yet.

Not being able to transfer does suck, though, for people who may not be sure if they want to stay at Irvine.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:24 pm

msch0i wrote: As for jobs, I think as long as you plan on practicing in socal, even a provisional accreditation from Irvine should be ok. It may not compete with UCLA/Berkeley graduates, but it won't instantly take you out of the running. There are some good firms willing to interview Irvine students/graduates (I even see government listings :shock: ) I don't think we should be worried about job prospects upon graduation (minus the economy factor) just because Irvine won't be fully accredited yet.

Not being able to transfer does suck, though, for people who may not be sure if they want to stay at Irvine.
I'm wondering on the outlook for Big Law though. Hopefully at least a few OC/LA based big law firms will interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

loser148

New

Post by loser148 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:46 pm

gymboree wrote:I'm always game for some distraction... so my husband made this for me...

try this "Hitler Law School Admission Cycle" Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ww6JgpGwE

edit: new url
HILARIOUS! THANKS FOR POSTING THE LINK!

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:28 am

finalaspects wrote: I'm wondering on the outlook for Big Law though. Hopefully at least a few OC/LA based big law firms will interview.
Look at the website. The firms doing interviews in 2010 are listed. There are quite a few.

Also, no UCI student has to take the baby bar or any additional testing beyond those exams given in class by their professors (and eventually the bar exam, of course). UCI will be provisionally accredited before the first class graduates and all graduating students will be eligible to take the bar exam in any state(s) of their choosing.

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:41 am

Has there been much news back yet? I know its a bit late but I'm thinking of applying this week...

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 am

loser148 wrote:
gymboree wrote:I'm always game for some distraction... so my husband made this for me...

try this "Hitler Law School Admission Cycle" Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ww6JgpGwE

edit: new url
He's a keeper - that was great.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BiteyTLS

New

Post by BiteyTLS » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:04 am

Are they handing out lots of money this year? I sure hope so, as resident tuition by 2011-2012 will be 43,000 dollars a year (putting cost of attendance around 75k). Out of state is some ungodly 55k+ amount.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... y09/j2.pdf

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:09 am

BiteyTLS wrote:Are they handing out lots of money this year? I sure hope so, as resident tuition by 2011-2012 will be 43,000 dollars a year (putting cost of attendance around 75k). Out of state is some ungodly 55k+ amount.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... y09/j2.pdf
At least 50% of tuition to all admits this year.
http://www.law.uci.edu/press_releases/12-21-09.html

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:23 am

i would be shocked if i didn't get into at least one of USC or UCLA, but can someone give me a good reason to drop the app fee to UCI? right now my curiosity is just sort of making me want to... :mrgreen:

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:43 am

Here's why - UCI doesn't have an app fee. They just have the processing fee. It only costs $12. Way worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rufferoo

New

Post by rufferoo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:56 am

boilercat wrote:i would be shocked if i didn't get into at least one of USC or UCLA, but can someone give me a good reason to drop the app fee to UCI? right now my curiosity is just sort of making me want to... :mrgreen:

man, you're gonna get into at least either USC or UCLA? aww man!, im jealous... i just got rejected by ucla... :(

whats ur score if u dont mind me asking...

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:02 pm

boilercat wrote:i would be shocked if i didn't get into at least one of USC or UCLA, but can someone give me a good reason to drop the app fee to UCI? right now my curiosity is just sort of making me want to... :mrgreen:

170/3.5??? go for t14!!! NU/Cornell will most likely accept you while others will as well.

socalren

New

Post by socalren » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:23 pm

According to LSN, a few more weeks and we'll be at the time where decisions were rendered last year. :) Hooray!

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:10 pm

socalren wrote:According to LSN, a few more weeks and we'll be at the time where decisions were rendered last year. :) Hooray!
January is quite the eventful month 8) Wonder if they'll be calling people this year..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm

well I just got a call from Dean Ortiz, I'm in, they are doing 50% scholarships and guaranteed on campus housing this year

socalren

New

Post by socalren » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:39 pm

tintin wrote:well I just got a call from Dean Ortiz, I'm in, they are doing 50% scholarships and guaranteed on campus housing this year
Congrats! That's great! :D

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:40 pm

tintin wrote:well I just got a call from Dean Ortiz, I'm in, they are doing 50% scholarships and guaranteed on campus housing this year
whoa! congrats!

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Veritas wrote:
whoa! congrats!
thanks...now if only berkeley would call/email/send smoke signals...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

socalren

New

Post by socalren » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:43 pm

tintin wrote:
Veritas wrote:
whoa! congrats!
Don't lose hope there, your stats are fantastic. :)

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:12 pm

congrats! looking at your LSN profile, you seem to have been accepted pretty much everywhere you applied! Lucky you.

What made you apply for Irvine? the 50% scholarship? I ask because everywhere else you applied are T14's pretty much.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:51 pm

tintin wrote:
Veritas wrote:
whoa! congrats!
Really? They didn't go higher than 50%? That's a smidgen disappointing. Your numbers are above both medians from last year.

Congrats on the acceptance! When did you put your application in?

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:21 pm

i think i applied in mid-october.

i applied to UCI because of the scholarship potential and I wanted to have a backup school in CA if nothing worked out. and...it was free.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”