UC Irvine 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msch0i

Silver

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Post by msch0i » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:22 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Just received a phone call from Dean Ortiz today so excited!!
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

edit: jk, I saw you on LSN :D

ctaylor21

New

Post by ctaylor21 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 pm

ahstud4life wrote:
ctaylor21 wrote:Regarding graduate student housing: Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a place after the guaranteed housing application deadline? Is is tough to get a place off the waitlist? Anyone heard anything or are their any current 1Ls with this experience?
I saw that one has to send in the SIR before applying by the March 3rd deadline.
So, since I am anxiously waiting for a few other schools, I cant see how I'll decide before the deadline.
Any thoughts?
You'll be fine in terms of housing. I work at UCI Housing and typically we have enough spots for graduate students that we should be able to accommodate you. Everyone's talking about PV or Verano Place, but in reality the nicest graduate housing is in Puerta del Sol (BRAND new this year)...plus its within walking distance to albertsons, the law school, and the gym.

Check out http://www.studenthousing.com or http://www.vistadelcampo.com
Thanks for your thoughts and the links. I think PV and Verona Place are tops for people trying to share and stay on a reasonable budget. At least thats how I am looking at it. But then again, I haven't seen any of them yet. Glad to know I don't have to meet the March 3rd date to get a place.

To S de Garmeaux: I'm also a reverse splitter with 164 LSAT. I imagine there will be more to come.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:00 am

Hopefully the steady stream of phone calls will continue! Until then, my phone will stay within a 3 foot radius of me at all times. AT ALL TIMES. :D

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:03 am

Anybody get the SIR packet in the mail with the info about flying out to the ASD (April 1)? Wondering who will be first to fill out the SIR???

SIR=Statement of Intent to Register
(just fyi because I hate it when people use acronyms I don't know)

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 am

Yeah got it yesterday. Man, we have a packed schedule on April 1...gotta make sure I get all my work done before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:14 pm

msch0i wrote:Hopefully the steady stream of phone calls will continue! Until then, my phone will stay within a 3 foot radius of me at all times. AT ALL TIMES. :D
i suggest you let it go to voicemail at least when you're showering/in the restroom. you can always call back or listen to the greatest voicemail ever.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 pm

hmm looking at last year's LSN if you don't get a response by end of march it looks like its over. beginning in April around the 7th is when all the rejections went out.

month and a half to go.

lobstar

New

Post by lobstar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm

Holy crap - looks like all y'all are rearing to go. It's like a race to SIR first!

I think I'm sitting on my hands until I visit on March 1. Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't want to buy in sight unseen, I s'pose.

It looks like we have plenty of time to apply for housing, i.e. up to May. I wouldn't want to miss out and get something I don't want.

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:32 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Just received a phone call from Dean Ortiz today so excited!!
Congrats! Glad to see some splitter love from UCI, though I still haven't seen any evidence of them reaching below 3.0, and it's possible they don't mind your GPA as much because (I assume) you're an engineer...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:33 pm

gymboree wrote:Anybody get the SIR packet in the mail with the info about flying out to the ASD (April 1)? Wondering who will be first to fill out the SIR???

There's already someone on LSN that has indicated they'll be attending Irvine. Though there's no way to know if he/she filled out the SIR yet.

Gymboree, do you plan to attend? Out of the admits so far, you seem by far the most committed to Irvine :D

Who else out there is strongly considering attending? Just curious to hear some thoughts about the school from people who've already been accepted.

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:56 pm

msch0i wrote: Who else out there is strongly considering attending? Just curious to hear some thoughts about the school from people who've already been accepted.
Very strongly considering Irvine for a number of reasons. One being the small class size and the student/faculty ratio. I really want to end up in academia, so having access to professors is a big deal to me. Second, their faculty is unbelievably strong for a school that new. Third 50% scholarship is a big deal for me. I would prefer to graduate without obscene amounts of debt. Also I love California, in spite of its problems and there is something to be said for good weather. I am in LA right now for business and it's in the 70s and sunny - in February!!! And finally, quite frankly I was very impressed with Dean Ortiz' familiarity with my application and she was so nice on the phone. I am a sucker for vibe and atmosphere and personalities.

I really think Irvine is showing a lot of commitment to putting together a quality school. And I think it's kind of exciting to be part of something new like this. It's kind of like being part of a start up. The energy that exists with new ventures can't be matched - and if they are accepting others who have that kind of excitement about being part of a start up so to speak, I think the experience will be quite amazing.

That being said I plan on visiting in March and then attending ASD on 4/1. I will visit other schools as well and I expect to make up my mind during these visits. And if a miracle happens and Yale accepts me (this really would be a HUGE miracle) I don't know if I could turn Yale down.

[1L]Hopeful

New

Post by [1L]Hopeful » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:20 pm

so.... IM IN!

Good to be in this discussion with you fine folks :D

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:23 pm

[1L]Hopeful wrote:so.... IM IN!

Plenty of us are in the discussion without being admitted yet! :wink: Congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:28 pm

congrats! did you receive a phone call? and can you share your stats please?

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Congrats to the new admits!

[1L]Hopeful

New

Post by [1L]Hopeful » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:59 pm

finalaspects wrote:

I'll share them once my cycle is over. Irvine is my #1 Choice, and unless the peer school offers more scholarship, I'm SIR to Irvine!!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 pm

[1L]Hopeful wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

I'll share them once my cycle is over. Irvine is my #1 Choice, and unless the peer school offers more scholarship, I'm SIR to Irvine!!
can you give us a hint using Irvine's 50% of 167/3.61? are you above or below those medians?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:59 am

Congrats to all the new admits!

If any of you have questions and would want a current student's perspective on the classes/location/professors/housing/whatever, feel free to PM me (or ask here I guess, if you think the answer to your question would be useful to people other than yourself).

Our whole class is definitely looking forward to meeting everyone!

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:39 am

pany1985 wrote:Congrats to all the new admits!

If any of you have questions and would want a current student's perspective on the classes/location/professors/housing/whatever, feel free to PM me (or ask here I guess, if you think the answer to your question would be useful to people other than yourself).

Our whole class is definitely looking forward to meeting everyone!
Thanks Pany. Has there been much interest expressed for classes on human rights law, climate change and the law, and emerging issues in law related to globalization? Are they hiring profs and determining classes based on student interest?

And for others that have been accepted - anyone else interested in these ares of law?

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:28 am

msch0i wrote:
gymboree wrote:Anybody get the SIR packet in the mail with the info about flying out to the ASD (April 1)? Wondering who will be first to fill out the SIR???

There's already someone on LSN that has indicated they'll be attending Irvine. Though there's no way to know if he/she filled out the SIR yet.

Gymboree, do you plan to attend? Out of the admits so far, you seem by far the most committed to Irvine :D

Who else out there is strongly considering attending? Just curious to hear some thoughts about the school from people who've already been accepted.
Your reading comp receives high honors. SIR is filled out and I'm just trying to figure out if I want to go to the ASD or just commit already and save the cash. I know Southern California, I know the school inside and out from research, I don't need to bond with uncommitted students, and I'll have 3 years to get to know faculty/classmates.

[1L]Hopeful

New

Post by [1L]Hopeful » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Can you guys give a little insight into what the best on-campus housing is for 1L students? I'd prefer to pay a little extra if it means better living conditions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

[1L]Hopeful

New

Post by [1L]Hopeful » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:21 pm

finalaspects wrote:
[1L]Hopeful wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

can you give us a hint using Irvine's 50% of 167/3.61? are you above or below those medians?
just below

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:24 pm

[1L]Hopeful wrote:Can you guys give a little insight into what the best on-campus housing is for 1L students? I'd prefer to pay a little extra if it means better living conditions.
I'm a 0L who is familiar with the area and campus in particular (grew up in area, friends lived in student housing)

Irvine's campus is expansive with several student housing options and parking galore. I don't know of any off the top of my head, but the fact that UCI was built before much of the city of Irvine means it had plenty of room to stretch its legs and add in several large student housing buildings

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:27 pm

[1L]Hopeful wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
just below
thanks! im guessing you meant for both medians?

and congrats again!

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:31 pm

lt0826 wrote:Has there been much interest expressed for classes on human rights law, climate change and the law, and emerging issues in law related to globalization? Are they hiring profs and determining classes based on student interest?
Everyone who has interviewed so far to join the faculty for next year has been great and I know we're gonna be getting some quality people, but I can't really say anything about who's actually getting hired since that process is still ongoing.

I know there's a lot of student and faculty interest in international and environmental law in general. One of the first issues of the UC Irvine Law Review next year is going to focus on climate change, so I think that one's definitely something the students and faculty care about. International law is a 1L course, so it's entirely plausible that courses in human rights law and gloablization will be offered as upperclass options at some point in the next few years.

The classes they're going to having for us next year as their first round of 2Ls are still being decided, but student input/preference is the primary factor in what's going to be offered. What professors want to teach matters too, but Dean Chemerinsky has said they're more than willing to bring in adjuncts to teach topics that the students want if we don't yet have a faculty member with expertise in that particular area.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”