UC Irvine 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jcl2

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Post by jcl2 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:53 pm

socal99 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
socal99 wrote:This just in: all 60 1Ls have secured summer employment: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _students/

"According to the Recorder’s count, 30 students have jobs with nonprofits, 17 with judges, and the rest in law firms and prosecutors’ offices. The school is still unaccredited, but it’s enjoying a “honeymoon” period, according to Charles Cannon, the law school's assistant dean of development and external affairs."

I guess the question is, will this honeymoon period extend to next summer's (slightly bigger) crop of 1Ls as well?
I'm waiting to hear the results of 2L OCI this fall to decide whether turning down UC Irvine last year was a mistake.
Where did you end up going to school if you don't mind my asking?
The University of Washington, and I actually ended up deferring and will be starting this fall.

I was only half serious with the above statement, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with my decision regardless of how well that first UCI class does. I want to end up in the NW, my friends and family are mostly up here, in-state tuition at UW isn't bad, and it would have been tough for my wife's career if we had moved to Irvine. Also, I doubt UCI would have let me defer, which ended up being pretty necessary, while keeping the full scholarship.

socal99

New

Post by socal99 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:24 pm

jcl2 wrote:
socal99 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
socal99 wrote:This just in: all 60 1Ls have secured summer employment: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _students/

"According to the Recorder’s count, 30 students have jobs with nonprofits, 17 with judges, and the rest in law firms and prosecutors’ offices. The school is still unaccredited, but it’s enjoying a “honeymoon” period, according to Charles Cannon, the law school's assistant dean of development and external affairs."

I guess the question is, will this honeymoon period extend to next summer's (slightly bigger) crop of 1Ls as well?
I'm waiting to hear the results of 2L OCI this fall to decide whether turning down UC Irvine last year was a mistake.
Where did you end up going to school if you don't mind my asking?
The University of Washington, and I actually ended up deferring and will be starting this fall.

I was only half serious with the above statement, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with my decision regardless of how well that first UCI class does. I want to end up in the NW, my friends and family are mostly up here, in-state tuition at UW isn't bad, and it would have been tough for my wife's career if we had moved to Irvine. Also, I doubt UCI would have let me defer, which ended up being pretty necessary, while keeping the full scholarship.
If you want to practice in the NW then I think you probably made the right choice. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

I am considering USC vs. UCI, and while the established network at USC is clearly a plus, the huge debt plus uncertainty as to whether I'll really be able to snag $160k in 3 years is making me take a long, hard look at UCI. I honestly think UCI would be a much more enjoyable experience - the profs would be much more available, the students friendlier and the community more close-knit. Let's face it you have to have a certain fortitude in your nether regions to take a chance on law school, but I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that UCI will be a big hit. Every indication I've seen so far seems to indicate this.

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:03 pm

socal99 wrote:
If you want to practice in the NW then I think you probably made the right choice. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

I am considering USC vs. UCI, and while the established network at USC is clearly a plus, the huge debt plus uncertainty as to whether I'll really be able to snag $160k in 3 years is making me take a long, hard look at UCI. I honestly think UCI would be a much more enjoyable experience - the profs would be much more available, the students friendlier and the community more close-knit. Let's face it you have to have a certain fortitude in your nether regions to take a chance on law school, but I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that UCI will be a big hit. Every indication I've seen so far seems to indicate this.
If all else fails, you're still spared of the gigantic tuition debt. UCI can't go wrong.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:18 pm

I think (well, to be more accurate, I partially think and partially hope) that UCI will be on par with USC and UCLA for hiring in Orange County. Coming from out of the area to attend UCI, I was pretty surprised how many biglaw firms and corporate HQs are in OC, not to mention the fact that there are 3 million people here (in a county that's pretty small geographically compared to LA county). Up in LA I'd bet USC and UCLA will still have a local edge, but personally I'd never want to live/work up there anyway. San Diego's more of a free-for-all, since they don't have a top tier law school any closer than Irvine.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:10 pm

pany1985 wrote:I think (well, to be more accurate, I partially think and partially hope) that UCI will be on par with USC and UCLA for hiring in Orange County. Coming from out of the area to attend UCI, I was pretty surprised how many biglaw firms and corporate HQs are in OC, not to mention the fact that there are 3 million people here (in a county that's pretty small geographically compared to LA county). Up in LA I'd bet USC and UCLA will still have a local edge, but personally I'd never want to live/work up there anyway. San Diego's more of a free-for-all, since they don't have a top tier law school any closer than Irvine.
Do you think so? I really hope that's the case. San Diego's where I'd want to eventually end up. How do you think Irvine's first 3 or so graduating classes will fare against USD graduates in the SD area?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lobstar

New

Post by lobstar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm

msch0i wrote:
pany1985 wrote:I think (well, to be more accurate, I partially think and partially hope) that UCI will be on par with USC and UCLA for hiring in Orange County. Coming from out of the area to attend UCI, I was pretty surprised how many biglaw firms and corporate HQs are in OC, not to mention the fact that there are 3 million people here (in a county that's pretty small geographically compared to LA county). Up in LA I'd bet USC and UCLA will still have a local edge, but personally I'd never want to live/work up there anyway. San Diego's more of a free-for-all, since they don't have a top tier law school any closer than Irvine.
Do you think so? I really hope that's the case. San Diego's where I'd want to eventually end up. How do you think Irvine's first 3 or so graduating classes will fare against USD graduates in the SD area?

Not to be snooty, but I don't think USD qualifies as a "top-tier" law school. Their numbers don't compare, and they're sitting at 61 on the TLS rank sheet.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:46 pm

lobstar wrote:
msch0i wrote:

Not to be snooty, but I don't think USD qualifies as a "top-tier" law school. Their numbers don't compare, and they're sitting at 61 on the TLS rank sheet.
Yeah, but there is that regional loyalty. (As evidenced by OC firms enthusiastically supporting UCI.) There are a ton of USD graduates working all over San Diego, so I'm not sure how they would look at a UCI graduate vs. a USD graduate. I guess it might just be left to each hiring individual's preference?

socal99

New

Post by socal99 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Random question: since next year's class will have 80 students, does anyone know whether everyone will get to be in Chemerinsky's Con Law class? Or is there a chance that half the students will get him and the other half will get another prof?

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:46 pm

socal99 wrote:Random question: since next year's class will have 80 students, does anyone know whether everyone will get to be in Chemerinsky's Con Law class? Or is there a chance that half the students will get him and the other half will get another prof?
He told me he'll be teaching it for everyone next year, at least that was how I interpreted it in the midst of a longer conversation (it was slightly flustering being on the phone with Chemerinsky, as you can imagine).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:22 am

So who's coming to ASD on the 1st?

Also, on an unrelated note, if any of you are interested in tax law, it was recently confirmed that UCI has snagged an awesome professor, Sarah Lawsky, from GW (she's actually currently a visiting professor at UVA) to get our program up and running in that department. I, as well as the few other students who had a chance to meet her when she came to check out the school, think she's pretty great. I'm not sure if I'm actually all that interested in tax law on its own, but I'm definitely planning on taking at least one class with her next year.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:01 am

pany1985 wrote:So who's coming to ASD on the 1st?

Also, on an unrelated note, if any of you are interested in tax law, it was recently confirmed that UCI has snagged an awesome professor, Sarah Lawsky, from GW (she's actually currently a visiting professor at UVA) to get our program up and running in that department. I, as well as the few other students who had a chance to meet her when she came to check out the school, think she's pretty great. I'm not sure if I'm actually all that interested in tax law on its own, but I'm definitely planning on taking at least one class with her next year.
I'll be there! :D

Stupendous_Man

Bronze

Post by Stupendous_Man » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:21 am

SandyC877 wrote:
If all else fails, you're still spared of the gigantic tuition debt. UCI can't go wrong.
I don't think the money is a fair emphasis with a 50% scholarship. It's very generous and very helpful, but even with the scholarship Irvine's estimated total cost is $113,805. That's conservative since it doesn't take into account fee hikes over the next few years. Even if you are lucky enough to be in a situation where over $100k in debt isn't significant to you, students at UCI's medians are getting full rides at places like pepperdine and significant scholarships at T30's.
pany1985 wrote: Also, on an unrelated note, if any of you are interested in tax law, it was recently confirmed that UCI has snagged an awesome professor, Sarah Lawsky, from GW (she's actually currently a visiting professor at UVA) to get our program up and running in that department. I, as well as the few other students who had a chance to meet her when she came to check out the school, think she's pretty great. I'm not sure if I'm actually all that interested in tax law on its own, but I'm definitely planning on taking at least one class with her next year.
This is Irvine's greatest strength in my opinion. With so few teachers and a slow hiring trickle, they get to seriously quality control every professor who comes in. Although the disadvantage here is that fewer courses are available (yeah you get to choose what you're interested in but it's hard to expand your horizons into areas of interest you've never considered), it means that you're not going to get that old difficult professor that everyone fears and hates.

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:55 am

Hmm, this is disappointing if true:
http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... rvine.html

Is Professor Moran really leaving UCI to go back to Berkeley? If so makes me wonder what is behind her decision?. . .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:58 am

lt0826 wrote:Hmm, this is disappointing if true:

Is Professor Moran really leaving UCI to go back to Berkeley? If so makes me wonder what is behind her decision?. . .
According to the article, she was expected to return to Berkeley from the beginning.

Leiter's words last year: "Berkeley reports Professor Moran will be on leave next year, so perhaps she will return."

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:03 pm

ViP wrote:

According to the article, she was expected to return to Berkeley from the beginning.

Leiter's words last year: "Berkeley reports Professor Moran will be on leave next year, so perhaps she will return."
It doesn't seem clear one way or the other. It looks like it was a keep the options open kind of situation. And maybe she tried out UCI and decided to return to Berkeley.

Stupendous_Man

Bronze

Post by Stupendous_Man » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:07 pm

lt0826 wrote:
ViP wrote:

It doesn't seem clear one way or the other. It looks like it was a keep the options open kind of situation. And maybe she tried out UCI and decided to return to Berkeley.
More than likely. It sounds like Berkeley expected her to return and Irvine was hoping she'd stay.

NiGhTHaWk830

New

Post by NiGhTHaWk830 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Veritas wrote:
pany1985 wrote:So who's coming to ASD on the 1st?

I'll be there! :D
I will also be there. Dean Ortiz hasn't mailed out any extra information on ASD though right? I haven't received any correspondence since the first notification of ASD back when I learned I was admitted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:03 pm

NiGhTHaWk830 wrote: I will also be there. Dean Ortiz hasn't mailed out any extra information on ASD though right? I haven't received any correspondence since the first notification of ASD back when I learned I was admitted.
Ditto. I will be there and I haven't received any more info on ASD either.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Have fun at ASD everyone! So jealous :D

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 pm

Stupendous_Man wrote:
This is Irvine's greatest strength in my opinion. With so few teachers and a slow hiring trickle, they get to seriously quality control every professor who comes in. Although the disadvantage here is that fewer courses are available (yeah you get to choose what you're interested in but it's hard to expand your horizons into areas of interest you've never considered), it means that you're not going to get that old difficult professor that everyone fears and hates.
I think UCLA and UCI should let students take classes at each other's law school. After all, they are "sister" law schools, are they not? This would diversify irvine's course offerings while letting UCLA kids take classes with some rocking professors. Although there are some obvious big objections to this - the most prominent being that it takes away from Irvine's claim of incredibly small class sizes...

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:45 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/03/25/lif ... l-it-last/

More national attention for UCI!!

I'm all for a TLS get together if anyone is interested this Thursday :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:57 pm

jay115 wrote:I think UCLA and UCI should let students take classes at each other's law school. After all, they are "sister" law schools, are they not? This would diversify irvine's course offerings while letting UCLA kids take classes with some rocking professors. Although there are some obvious big objections to this - the most prominent being that it takes away from Irvine's claim of incredibly small class sizes...
The biggest problem probably isn't Irvine's claim to small class sizes, it's (1) LA-area traffic and (2) lack of necessity. I doubt many people are going to be willing to travel back and forth between UCLA and UCI, where a one-way trip is only 50 miles but can easily take 2 hours, to take what are essentially the same courses. Dean Chemerinsky has made it pretty clear that if more than about 5 students want to take anything for next year, they'll either have a current professor teach it (if they're familiar with the subject) or hire an adjunct. The list of classes they plan on offering (http://www.law.uci.edu/registrar/curric ... level.html) seems pretty expansive to me. There won't even be time for me to take everything I want from that list before I graduate.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm not sure if this was common knowledge or not, but TLS rankings have UCI estimated at rank 29 :D

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 pm

msch0i wrote:I'm not sure if this was common knowledge or not, but TLS rankings have UCI estimated at rank 29 :D
Still waiting for that phone call? haha

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 pm

Tofu wrote:
msch0i wrote:I'm not sure if this was common knowledge or not, but TLS rankings have UCI estimated at rank 29 :D
Still waiting for that phone call? haha
so am i. :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”