UC Irvine 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Gold

Re: UC Irvine 2013

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 pm

gymboree wrote:
Veritas wrote:
protokurios wrote:Dean Chemerinsky called me at 8:30 this morning to say hi and ask if I had any questions. All I could do was laugh nervously and say no, not really. :lol: He sounds so incredibly friendly.
:shock: that's SO cool! Did you name drop me?
I got the call, too. Great, great guy. Veritas, if I knew your real name I seriously would have done it!
hahaha <3

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 pm

Veritas wrote:
gymboree wrote:
Veritas wrote:
protokurios wrote:Dean Chemerinsky called me at 8:30 this morning to say hi and ask if I had any questions. All I could do was laugh nervously and say no, not really. :lol: He sounds so incredibly friendly.
:shock: that's SO cool! Did you name drop me?
I got the call, too. Great, great guy. Veritas, if I knew your real name I seriously would have done it!
hahaha <3
Or drop the name of this thread. So he can read about all the Irvine <3 we have :D

and i spy another acceptance! I guess they're calling people again.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:18 am

Hmm... while I think LSN does pretty well of representing the T20 broadly, I definitely think they fail for UCI. I would love to know exactly what numbers they have admitted thus far. I am REALLY hoping for a call from Dean Ortiz.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:24 am

and i spy another acceptance! I guess they're calling people again.[/quote]

So far this week has been made of fail. Pleeeeze Irvine! I really do think they would appreciate all of the love expressed on this thread.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:31 am

msch0i wrote:
ruleser wrote:
mbv wrote:Everyone seems to be getting phone calls from the Dean with their acceptance but I got my acceptance in a THIN SMALL envelope a couple days ago! That totally freaked me out, haha. Half tuition scholarship, I'm of course thrilled!

Here's a tip for those concerned about whether or not their apps went "complete". If you sent in your app electronically (as i did) make sure to mail a physical copy of the checklist.

Instructions and form are here: --LinkRemoved--

I sent in my apps in December, and then realized in JANUARY that I didn't mail in this checklist (oops). After mailing it in during mid-Jan, it wasn't a week later that I got my acceptance in the mail. It could be a coincidence, but just in case this helps out one person...

Good luck everyone!
Thanks for mentioning the checklist - I have no recollection of whether or not I sent that, only vaguely recall reading that in the instructions. I'll have to check now, you may have saved my ap just before the deadline...
Hm someone said that they would contact you if you were missing something from your file. When I called last year they said they had no way of checking whether your file was complete or not until they review it--I wonder if they can check if they got the checklist? Ruleser, will you let me know, if you call them, if they were able to tell you they received yours or not? I know I sent mine in but I'd just want to make sure :?

edit: I just called - they said they would contact you if they were missing the checklist, but if you really want to be safe, you should send in another one.
Thanks for the info - I emailed but haven't heard back yet. Ill print up another tonight and see if I can get an answer tomorrow by e-mail or phone and if not just send. Unless of course the dean wants to call me first in the am to save that problem...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:40 am

the chem left me a voicemail too, he sounded very nice. i saved it. :mrgreen:

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 pm

It's Friday. Happy Hour starts at whatever hour the calls start going out. Let's start this weekend off right!

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm

tintin wrote:the chem left me a voicemail too, he sounded very nice. i saved it. :mrgreen:
I envy you guys so so much. :(

On another note, out of the people who decided to post their decision date, most acceptances last year went out around this time (with one exception in March)...any thoughts on this year's pattern? Does it seem like they've called most people they'd want to call or should we expect a lot more?

Rhosa60

New

Post by Rhosa60 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm an occasional TLS lurker; I come check the boards every once in a while to see if there are any updates for the schools I applied to. I really didn't think I would ever post and especially not in this thread (I didn't think I had a shot at UCI).

When I got the call from Dean Ortiz on Wednesday I was beyond excited and wanted to update you all.

Both of my numbers are below last year's medians (GPA slightly lower, LSAT a few points lower). I have a few years out of undergrad/WE and I guess pretty decent softs. Dean Ortiz did mention something about the materials/essays I submitted with the application. I don't remember exactly what she said because I was numb during the conversation.

So I posted this to let you know there's still hope for any of you in a similar position!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Rhosa60 wrote:I'm an occasional TLS lurker; I come check the boards every once in a while to see if there are any updates for the schools I applied to. I really didn't think I would ever post and especially not in this thread (I didn't think I had a shot at UCI).

When I got the call from Dean Ortiz on Wednesday I was beyond excited and wanted to update you all.

Both of my numbers are below last year's medians (GPA slightly lower, LSAT a few points lower). I have a few years out of undergrad/WE and I guess pretty decent softs. Dean Ortiz did mention something about the materials/essays I submitted with the application. I don't remember exactly what she said because I was numb during the conversation.

So I posted this to let you know there's still hope for any of you in a similar position!
congrats! was that this wed the 27th? or the week before that?

Rhosa60

New

Post by Rhosa60 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:09 pm

finalaspects wrote: congrats! was that this wed the 27th? or the week before that?
Thanks! It was the 27th in the afternoon.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Congrats Rhosa!

This emphasis on all of the supplemental materials actually worries me a little bit. I don't think I submitted anything insincere or unprepared, but I don't think my essays really set me apart in any way. However, I didn't want to write, "I really, really want to be an outstanding lawyer!" as my personal statement so I ended up with one that wasn't too terribly powerful. I was hoping my LSAT would help me get over the hump, but every minute I don't get a call, the more I think it may not matter.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:44 pm

wired wrote:Congrats Rhosa!

This emphasis on all of the supplemental materials actually worries me a little bit. I don't think I submitted anything insincere or unprepared, but I don't think my essays really set me apart in any way. However, I didn't want to write, "I really, really want to be an outstanding lawyer!" as my personal statement so I ended up with one that wasn't too terribly powerful. I was hoping my LSAT would help me get over the hump, but every minute I don't get a call, the more I think it may not matter.
+1, except my gpa. Crossing my fingers that Irvine shares the California love for GPAs :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:33 am

So I think my checklist was sent in after Thanksgiving, but not entirely sure. I left it with my mom to mail since I was headed off on a plane and she just remembered mailing it. Should I just resend it? Could it hurt? I don't want a formality like that to hold me back.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:43 am

calgal17 wrote:So I think my checklist was sent in after Thanksgiving, but not entirely sure. I left it with my mom to mail since I was headed off on a plane and she just remembered mailing it. Should I just resend it? Could it hurt? I don't want a formality like that to hold me back.
I resent mine today because USPS in my neighborhood is extremely unreliable and notorious for losing mail. I guess it can't hurt.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:55 am

msch0i wrote:
calgal17 wrote:So I think my checklist was sent in after Thanksgiving, but not entirely sure. I left it with my mom to mail since I was headed off on a plane and she just remembered mailing it. Should I just resend it? Could it hurt? I don't want a formality like that to hold me back.
I resent mine today because USPS in my neighborhood is extremely unreliable and notorious for losing mail. I guess it can't hurt.
haha. Glad to know I'm not the only neurotic one. They're going to mysteriously have a batch of TLSers all resending their checklists. Well maybe it will remind them that we exist and care THAT MUCH. :wink:

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Have any of you done campus visits yet (or have them planned for the reasonably near future)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 am

pany1985 wrote:Have any of you done campus visits yet (or have them planned for the reasonably near future)?
Yes! I scheduled a visit for February with my roommate :)

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Alright, we're officially in February. Any bets on whether or not any other TLSers will get the nod?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:17 pm

wired wrote:Alright, we're officially in February. Any bets on whether or not any other TLSers will get the nod?
:| I sure hope so. I don't think they've admitted enough TLSers :wink:

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/wildpitch20

Looks like another acceptance. According to the comments, he received an acceptance on Jan. 30 - I assume it was by mail since that was Saturday. Numbers are a 169 / 3.48, no work experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:47 pm

wired wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/wildpitch20

Looks like another acceptance. According to the comments, he received an acceptance on Jan. 30 - I assume it was by mail since that was Saturday. Numbers are a 169 / 3.48, no work experience.
I know that last year they made phone calls on Saturdays. But I'm glad to see that they're moving toward splitterish applicants that don't have extensive WE :D Maybe they'll mosey on over to reverse splitters soon.

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:58 pm

UCI languishing on the 3rd page?! C'mon Dean Ortiz, pick up that phone. I've got a number you should dial...

Sorry for the shameless bump, hoping to get some activity going, maybe find out about some more admissions?

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:02 pm

There was another on LSN today, high stats.

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Inygma wrote:There was another on LSN today, high stats.
who? I don't see them :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”