What's Rollin' at Michigan State?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawToMe

Re: What's Rollin' at Michigan State?

Postby LawToMe » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:37 pm

sarlis wrote:
fordtheriver wrote:1L taking questions.

how are the job prospects so far?

To piggy back on this... where do you think most MSU grads are finding employment (MI private practice, MI public service...MI criminal defense? Do many look out of state)? Also how does MSU establish interviews (Do firms pick? Is it by class rank? Can students request interviews?) Thx for taking the time!

fordtheriver

Postby fordtheriver » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:43 pm

LawToMe wrote:
sarlis wrote:

how are the job prospects so far?

To piggy back on this... where do you think most MSU grads are finding employment (MI private practice, MI public service...MI criminal defense? Do many look out of state)? Also how does MSU establish interviews (Do firms pick? Is it by class rank? Can students request interviews?) Thx for taking the time!

A good amount of my classmates are from out of state and plan on seeking employment in their home states. Many are from the mid west though. I'm from the east coast and the school seems to have a fairly good reputation amongst the lawyers I have spoken to (most don't really know much about the school but assume that it is a solid school because of the MSU name)- side note though many of the attorneys I have spoken to are from small to mid-size firms. Unfortunately, I can't answer many questions about employment stats. A 2L would probably be better suited to answer.

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Go Green!

For those of you who are planning on attending and haven't been to the campus you are in for a nice treat. The campus life rivals even southern schools. I won't be attending law school there but I did enjoy my UG years.

Tuukie11

Postby Tuukie11 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:37 pm

What do you see as the most important positives/negatives about MSU Law?

How is the social life/cohesiveness of student body?

Would you put it under the category of having a competitive feel or collegial feel?

fordtheriver

Postby fordtheriver » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:56 am

Tuukie11 wrote:

What do you see as the most important positives/negatives about MSU Law?

How is the social life/cohesiveness of student body?

Would you put it under the category of having a competitive feel or collegial feel?

The SBA is really quite good at getting people to socialize. I dont find most people to be very competitive. I would say that MSU is probably one of the least competitive schools I looked at (I looked at schools in all of the "tiers" and all over the country). Granted, there are a few "gunners," but generally people are friendly.
Things I like: MSU offers great scholarships and the faculty genuinely seems to care. I have never seen a school with such passionate employees. Additionally, the school genuinely cares about the local community and is constantly offering charitable opportunities. MSU is probably the most impressive school I looked at in that respect (although to be fair I'm not sure it was something I noticed or inquired about when I looked at other schools). It is very affordable to live here which certainly should be taken into consideration. The campus is also quite nice. The MSU name may be even better out of state (in my experience) and is generally assumed to be a great school. I definitely think the ranking will rise.
Things I don't like: There seems to be a section full of the majority of scholarship students (many people do not discuss scholarships but we are future lawyers after all, it is not that hard to figure it out). This could be a problem with the curve system. It is supposed to be random, but it may not have worked out that way this year. I have not heard that from other classes so perhaps this year was a fluke. Additionally, parking is a pain.

moviechicka

Postby moviechicka » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:02 am

I just got an acceptance letter from MSU with a full scholarship. I don't know if my southern blood can take a Michigan winter, but it's awesome to know that I have that option.

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Just received a phone call from the Dean. Offered a full tuition scholarship. He was extremely friendly and a pleasure to talk to. Definitely an honor to receive such an offer.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 pm

I was just sent an email that asked me to write a short essay on why I'd like Michigan State, in order to be considered for a full scholarship. Was this common for all you full ride recipients?

eljay

Postby eljay » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Unfortunately, Kalin's ankle is "rollin'" :(

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:22 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:I was just sent an email that asked me to write a short essay on why I'd like Michigan State, in order to be considered for a full scholarship. Was this common for all you full ride recipients?

I had to do the same thing. I think mine was around 1/2 a page or so.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Snwboarder78 wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:I was just sent an email that asked me to write a short essay on why I'd like Michigan State, in order to be considered for a full scholarship. Was this common for all you full ride recipients?

I had to do the same thing. I think mine was around 1/2 a page or so.

yeah i had to write the same essay.

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:14 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck everyone.

Metroid SR388

Postby Metroid SR388 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Wow I just got wait-listed. I am actually pretty surprised as it was my safety, and I only considered applying after a representative from their diversity office called me and pretty much said I was a sure thing to get in. Best of luck to you all!

For the record my stats are:
LSAT: 160
UGPA: 3.01
URM: AA

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”