What's Rollin' at Michigan State?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
superflush

Re: What's Rollin' at Michigan State?

Postby superflush » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:18 am

carman1880 wrote:I woke up this morning and found that my status checker now reads "Admitted With Full Scholarship."

Wow, I didn't think anyone would do that in the status. That is cool.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:58 pm

Admitted with Scholarship.

Was given a 3/4 scholarship with an additional $8500 for the 1L year, making the first year essentially a full ride.

164/3.31

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Baylan wrote:Admitted with Scholarship.

Was given a 3/4 scholarship with an additional $8500 for the 1L year, making the first year essentially a full ride.

164/3.31

Just updating everyone - the scholarship I was given is on a 3.0 GPA stipulation, with the possibility of getting bumped up to a full ride with a 3.8 or higher.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:52 pm

Withdrew from consideration today. Good luck to all MSU applicants.

LawToMe

Postby LawToMe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:32 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Withdrew from consideration today. Good luck to all MSU applicants.

That's good for any of us looking for your scholly $ to be redistributed. Good luck to you. Where will you be going in the fall?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Just to let everyone know, it is like 12 degrees up here (MSU UG) today. I had to walk less than a quarter of a mile to class today and my hands turned numb. The red cedar is starting to freeze...it was ~50 degrees 5 days ago. Gotta love michigan weather.

Although law students get their own parking garage pass so they don't have to park outside in the winter. PERKS!

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:51 pm

LawToMe wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:Withdrew from consideration today. Good luck to all MSU applicants.

That's good for any of us looking for your scholly $ to be redistributed. Good luck to you. Where will you be going in the fall?

Not sure where I will be going in the fall. So far Ive been accepted to Notre Dame and Tulane. Hope everyone does well with MSU and everywhere else.

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:32 am

robin600 wrote:Just to let everyone know, it is like 12 degrees up here (MSU UG) today. I had to walk less than a quarter of a mile to class today and my hands turned numb. The red cedar is starting to freeze...it was ~50 degrees 5 days ago. Gotta love michigan weather.

Although law students get their own parking garage pass so they don't have to park outside in the winter. PERKS!

yea it was fkinggg cold today. Are you a senior here?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:17 pm

MSUPHL wrote:
robin600 wrote:Just to let everyone know, it is like 12 degrees up here (MSU UG) today. I had to walk less than a quarter of a mile to class today and my hands turned numb. The red cedar is starting to freeze...it was ~50 degrees 5 days ago. Gotta love michigan weather.

Heck yes! Are you?

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:17 pm

robin600 wrote:
MSUPHL wrote:

Heck yes! Are you?

I just got done with my commencement. Slightly weird feeling.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:37 pm

Baylan wrote:
robin600 wrote:
MSUPHL wrote:

Heck yes! Are you?

I just got done with my commencement. Slightly weird feeling.

You go to MSU too? Congrats on graduating! What's your major was the ceremony LONG?

sckon

Postby sckon » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Michigan State Law just sent a very nice christmas card with a handwritten note. Total class.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:07 pm

robin600 wrote:
You go to MSU too? Congrats on graduating! What's your major was the ceremony LONG?

I'm in James Madison College. The ceremony was about two hours, and felt much longer given my massive hangover. My parents and I did our own bar crawl last night.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Very cool. James Madison never caught my fancy but my friends really like it. Did you hit the Riv? I was there last night before finals, fun times. I'm a CJ major so I'm graduating social sciences and not looking forward to it.

servinDizzert

Postby servinDizzert » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:35 pm

MSU senior as well sitting in the bizzz libb right now studying. Not in James Madison but studying for JMC 349 law and economics....class is horrible

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:57 am

In retrospect, Madison was both the best possible and worst possible decision I made. A good friend of mine who is pretty equal to me intellectually is a polisci major. He has a 3.7-3.8 and is applying to law school. I have a 3.31

In the same vein, I feel like I'm going to be significantly more prepared than most people because of the typically very heavy reading load and lots of paper-writing.

Who is teaching MC349? Sounds like a class that Emmett or Ritchie would teach.

And the bar crawl list was 5 long. The Riv, Louhas, Dublin, PTs, and Ricks (yes, I took my parents to Ricks, where my step-dad proceeded to... fall...on...the....floor.)

servinDizzert

Postby servinDizzert » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:22 am

Baylan wrote:In retrospect, Madison was both the best possible and worst possible decision I made. A good friend of mine who is pretty equal to me intellectually is a polisci major. He has a 3.7-3.8 and is applying to law school. I have a 3.31

In the same vein, I feel like I'm going to be significantly more prepared than most people because of the typically very heavy reading load and lots of paper-writing.

And the bar crawl list was 5 long. The Riv, Louhas, Dublin, PTs, and Ricks (yes, I took my parents to Ricks, where my step-dad proceeded to... fall...on...the....floor.)

bahahaha...Ricks is always a guarantee blackout.

MC 349 is taught by Mercuro who actually is a law professor here at MSU. If you want to get a taste of law school early see if he is teaching it second semester. Exams are what I would think we are going to take in law school. Not exactly a second semester senior year class tho.

I can thank MSU bars for fueling my alcoholism.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:16 am

Baylan wrote:In retrospect, Madison was both the best possible and worst possible decision I made. A good friend of mine who is pretty equal to me intellectually is a polisci major. He has a 3.7-3.8 and is applying to law school. I have a 3.31

I feel the same way about Criminal Justice, although I feel like it's def. pushed me ahead of the pack. I spend sooo much time reading cases and writing papers it's insane, but I love it so I can't complain. This semester I'm done with all my classes except IAH and I want to shoot myself, dumbest class ever!

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:40 pm

servinDizzert wrote:

bahahaha...Ricks is always a guarantee blackout.

MC 349 is taught by Mercuro who actually is a law professor here at MSU. If you want to get a taste of law school early see if he is teaching it second semester. Exams are what I would think we are going to take in law school. Not exactly a second semester senior year class tho.

I've heard about Mercuro before, but I've never had him. I took MC362 with Schechter (a JMC legend) and really enjoyed it - one of the best classes I've ever taken.

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:59 pm

anyone up for a TLS bar crawl? I can only do this Wednesday night after my last final at 5 PM then im going out of town till around new years.

BTW, im a philosophy major. It was very good for law school for multiple reasons. A) intro logic, phl 130, gave me a slight advantage in LR since I already knew contra-positives inside and out before I opened an LSAT book. B) Obviously tons of reading and writing, most PHL classes do not have any exams, only 3-4 papers of 6-10 pages per semester per class. C) Very easy to get good grades. I did not do most readings for most classes, and before this semester i have got all 4.s and 1 3.5 in PHL courses. Now, this semester, i really slacked off, but should hopefully manage something respectful.

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:01 pm

servinDizzert wrote:
Baylan wrote:

freshmen year = 2 mips + 1 fake ID to police. Fun times until i had to write an addendum for law school. fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Has anyone asked the admissions office what percent of 1Ls lose their scholarships after the first year?

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:50 pm

I still have an exam and a 20 page paper to write this week. It is unlikely that I'll be bar crawling anytime this semester, but I'd be down for one in the spring sometime. I'm moving home next week but I still have plenty of places to crash in town.

servinDizzert

Postby servinDizzert » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:56 pm

MSUPHL wrote:
servinDizzert wrote:
Baylan wrote:

freshmen year = 2 mips + 1 fake ID to police. Fun times until i had to write an addendum for law school. fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I can match your two mips. :roll:

Only final of the week is on Thurs so no bar crawl for me. Spring will be better so we can discuss all of our acceptances :lol: :lol:

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:25 pm

Sooo, today I went to the lib, (3rd floor west side!!!) and there was these guys preparing their law school apps. This one guys turns to the other and is like "dude I'm totally gonna get into UofM with my 158." other guy:"yeah dude so jealus, I'm probably gonna end up at illinois or something with my 149." - I LOLed.

This makes me love TLS sooo much more!!!! I'm totally up for a TLS bar crawl, perhaps the beg. of january when we're all freezing our asses off and spending all our money buying lame ass course packs at budget printing that doesn't accept CC's. Sorry done with MSU rant.

PS- for those interested in MSU's PT program, they do allow you to switch to FT after one semester, a good friend of mine has done so with very little ease and she's def. not in the top half of her class.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”