Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rosebud523

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Rosebud523 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:24 am

I was rejected via status checker yesterday. I was pretty surprised. I have a 159 LSAT and 3.4 GPA, but they kept me waiting since mid january. I thought for sure I would at least get waitlisted and not flat out rejected after keeping me waiting that whole time. I cant believe you were accepted with just one point higher than me on the LSAT. Pretty dissapointing :-(

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu May 13, 2010 12:44 am

Rosebud523 wrote:I was rejected via status checker yesterday. I was pretty surprised. I have a 159 LSAT and 3.4 GPA, but they kept me waiting since mid january. I thought for sure I would at least get waitlisted and not flat out rejected after keeping me waiting that whole time. I cant believe you were accepted with just one point higher than me on the LSAT. Pretty dissapointing :-(

Don't be too hard on yourself. Admissions is completely unpredictable (well, mostly unpredictable). While someone may have a lower LSAT, softs may have set them apart.

nitr0x99

Postby nitr0x99 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Rosebud523 wrote:I was rejected via status checker yesterday. I was pretty surprised. I have a 159 LSAT and 3.4 GPA, but they kept me waiting since mid january. I thought for sure I would at least get waitlisted and not flat out rejected after keeping me waiting that whole time. I cant believe you were accepted with just one point higher than me on the LSAT. Pretty dissapointing :-(

Now I feel bad :cry:

Where are you going to go now? I already paid my deposit at Loyola. Go there with me and I'll take you out to lunch to make up for stealing your spot at Kent :D

Rosebud523

Postby Rosebud523 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm waitlisted at Loyola and Depaul, but Loyola is my first choice. Talk about applying during the worst year ever! Kent wasn't my first choice, I just hated waiting and it got me worried that I won't get into Loyola. I'm going insane with all this waitingggg but I obviously want to go there and lunch is always good lol

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Applied mid-January and have heard nothing.

I didn't know a school existed that took longer than Davis to render a decision.

Pretty unprofessional if you ask me.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Mon May 17, 2010 1:22 am

Rosebud523 wrote: and lunch is always good lol

lunch?

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 am

phoenix323 wrote:Pretty unprofessional

agree

Rosebud523

Postby Rosebud523 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:06 am

thinkbig wrote:
lunch?

nitr0x99 wrote:Where are you going to go now? I already paid my deposit at Loyola. Go there with me and I'll take you out to lunch to make up for stealing your spot at Kent :D

beast510

Postby beast510 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:41 pm

phoenix323 wrote:Applied mid-January and have heard nothing.

I didn't know a school existed that took longer than Davis to render a decision.

Just called. A woman said my file is in the final review, and a decision will be out at the end of this month...

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue May 18, 2010 1:59 pm

beast510 wrote:

Just called. A woman said my file is in the final review, and a decision will be out at the end of this month...

I called Friday, and I didn't even get the courtesy of being told that I was in final review. "Check back at the end of the month. *Click*"

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Tue May 18, 2010 2:06 pm

beast510 wrote:

When they told me 1-2 weeks, it ended up taking closer to 4. But maybe they are more accurate at this point in the cycle...

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Tue May 18, 2010 6:54 pm

thinkbig wrote:
beast510 wrote:

When they told me 1-2 weeks, it ended up taking closer to 4. But maybe they are more accurate at this point in the cycle...

When I was told next week, I actually got a decision at the end of that next week. I guess I got lucky?

roofles

Postby roofles » Tue May 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Anyone else attending the dean's program on 5/22?

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Tue May 18, 2010 8:33 pm

roofles wrote:Anyone else attending the dean's program on 5/22?

Yes. I went to the one last month too, which was very good because the panel consisted of successful alumni. But I'd like also to get the perspective of the current student panel.

raskolnikov32

Postby raskolnikov32 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Not-A-Teabagger

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Tue May 18, 2010 11:59 pm

raskolnikov32 wrote:So I recently received a decision saying I was deferred. I guess I am uneducated on this topic and was looking for some insight. Is getting deferred better, worse or incomparable when considering it against being waitlisted? It says they are waiting until later in the cycle to make a final decision--so should I realistically expect that decision to be a denial or do I still have a legitimate chance of acceptance?

Realistically, they should already be at the end of their cycle, so getting deferred this late is shocking! Most likely, they are just waiting until after the deposit deadline in order to give you a response. So in terms of WL vs Deferred, I would say that being deferred is better (at least you know you will get a second look) but it does portend that they have hit a wall in handing out acceptances.

If you see them still handing out acceptances on this board (to those not on the WL), then I would say that your being deferred is not a good sign, and is worse than being on the WL, as this would then signify that they have not hit a wall, and that your numbers are too low for their program, but that they do like some part of your application. You do not want to be in the 'they like some part of my application' group, as they will choose the higher numbers over you on the WL at this late a stage in the game.

Just my 2 Cents

jrose

Postby jrose » Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 am

raskolnikov32 wrote:So I recently received a decision saying I was deferred. I guess I am uneducated on this topic and was looking for some insight. Is getting deferred better, worse or incomparable when considering it against being waitlisted? It says they are waiting until later in the cycle to make a final decision--so should I realistically expect that decision to be a denial or do I still have a legitimate chance of acceptance?

i think kent treats deferred decisions as waitlists...

i got "deferred" a couple of weeks ago, and i found the process to be exact to other waitlists i've been placed on. they still ask you to fill out forms stating continued interest, welcome other documents, etc. i think a deferred decision is kent's version of the waitlist. with that said, look at their rejections thus far. if they didn't want you, they'd let you know. if kent is a top choice, let them know! good luck.

LawMuns

Postby LawMuns » Wed May 19, 2010 1:21 pm

roofles wrote:Anyone else attending the dean's program on 5/22?

I am going to that.

beast510

Postby beast510 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:49 pm

Decision deferred via status checker...

In light of the fact that my file went IR in Jan., this decision has actually been made like two months ago.

What's the difference between "decision deferred" and WL?

roofles

Postby roofles » Sat May 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Ok, who on here was the guy in the black shirt at the front of the mini-class today :shock:

nitr0x99

Postby nitr0x99 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:47 pm

roofles wrote:Ok, who on here was the guy in the black shirt at the front of the mini-class today :shock:

lol why? what happened? Did someone out them self as a TLS'er?

LawMuns

Postby LawMuns » Sat May 22, 2010 10:44 pm

LOL! I don't know, but I hope he has a better offer... Although at least he might call the cops if he heard one of us getting stabbed.

deebs

Postby deebs » Mon May 24, 2010 5:34 pm

+1 on black shirt guy

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:42 pm

beast510 wrote:Decision deferred via status checker...

In light of the fact that my file went IR in Jan., this decision has actually been made like two months ago.

What's the difference between "decision deferred" and WL?

I was deferred and I promptly withdrew.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 am

Has anyone heard anything in response to a PT application recently?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”