Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawMuns
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby LawMuns » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:14 pm

do you have the link?

toolfan
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby toolfan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:59 pm


User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Does Kent put most of the people who accept scholarships with gpa requirements in the same section?

User avatar
illini10
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:44 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby illini10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:59 pm

I need some help do I take full tuition first year, $25k next two years with a 3.25 stip (I get 12.5 if I keep at least 3.0, if I drop under $0 money) or take 20 per year no strings. I think I should not have a problem keeping a 3.0 (I have never had a GPA less than 3.5 ever) which worse case would would equal $63,000. Is a 3.25 or a 3.0 that hard to retain?
I need to send this in tomorrow with my deposit

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 pm

illini10 wrote:I need some help do I take full tuition first year, $25k next two years with a 3.25 stip (I get 12.5 if I keep at least 3.0, if I drop under $0 money) or take 20 per year no strings. I think I should not have a problem keeping a 3.0 (I have never had a GPA less than 3.5 ever) which worse case would would equal $63,000. Is a 3.25 or a 3.0 that hard to retain?
I need to send this in tomorrow with my deposit


If you mean scholly option 1 = full yr1, 25k yrs 1,2 (12.5 if 3.0); option 2 = 20k all three years no stip, then I would go with option 1 as it has way more upside. If you fall below a 3.0, then you should rethink continuing law school.

see --LinkRemoved-- for grade distribution

User avatar
illini10
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:44 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby illini10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 pm

that is equally what I am thinking - if I can't pull a 3.0 I shouldn't be there

User avatar
skamike
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby skamike » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:52 pm

accepted via email tonight @8pm EST (hey, it shows that they are working long nights to get to all the files

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:56 pm

I got my acceptance and scholarship on the internet. However, I have yet to get my letter. I'm not seeing in my MyIIT thing what the stipulations are for my scholarship. Is this true for everyone else? Do i have to wait to get my physical letter to know the stipulations of my scholly?

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:36 pm

illini10 wrote:that is equally what I am thinking - if I can't pull a 3.0 I shouldn't be there


The problem is that EVERYONE who accepts option A believes this, but grades are curved over a normal distribution. Statistically you are just as likely to get a 2.5 as you are to get a 3.5.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:44 pm

thinkbig wrote:Does Kent put most of the people who accept scholarships with gpa requirements in the same section?
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I got my acceptance and scholarship on the internet. However, I have yet to get my letter. I'm not seeing in my MyIIT thing what the stipulations are for my scholarship. Is this true for everyone else? Do i have to wait to get my physical letter to know the stipulations of my scholly?


There are different award levels. The amount shown in MyIIT reflects option A. I believe it shows the amount you'd get for the first semester. So double it, and that is the per-year award if you maintain a 3.25. If you drop below that but stay above a 3.0, you get half the following year.

If your per-year amount for option A is $10k, the guaranteed - option B - amount would be $6k. If A=$20k, then B=$12k. If A=$fulltuition, then B=$20.

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby NervousInKC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:51 pm

thinkbig wrote:
thinkbig wrote:Does Kent put most of the people who accept scholarships with gpa requirements in the same section?
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I got my acceptance and scholarship on the internet. However, I have yet to get my letter. I'm not seeing in my MyIIT thing what the stipulations are for my scholarship. Is this true for everyone else? Do i have to wait to get my physical letter to know the stipulations of my scholly?


There are different award levels. The amount shown in MyIIT reflects option A. I believe it shows the amount you'd get for the first semester. So double it, and that is the per-year award if you maintain a 3.25. If you drop below that but stay above a 3.0, you get half the following year.

If your per-year amount for option A is $10k, the guaranteed - option B - amount would be $6k. If A=$20k, then B=$12k. If A=$fulltuition, then B=$20.


This is not necessarily true. There are some scholarships that don't have any stipulations. You have to wait for the letter to find that out.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 pm

NervousInKC wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
thinkbig wrote:Does Kent put most of the people who accept scholarships with gpa requirements in the same section?
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I got my acceptance and scholarship on the internet. However, I have yet to get my letter. I'm not seeing in my MyIIT thing what the stipulations are for my scholarship. Is this true for everyone else? Do i have to wait to get my physical letter to know the stipulations of my scholly?


There are different award levels. The amount shown in MyIIT reflects option A. I believe it shows the amount you'd get for the first semester. So double it, and that is the per-year award if you maintain a 3.25. If you drop below that but stay above a 3.0, you get half the following year.

If your per-year amount for option A is $10k, the guaranteed - option B - amount would be $6k. If A=$20k, then B=$12k. If A=$fulltuition, then B=$20.


This is not necessarily true. There are some scholarships that don't have any stipulations. You have to wait for the letter to find that out.


Thanks for correcting me. I just assumed...

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby NervousInKC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:56 pm

thinkbig wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
thinkbig wrote:Does Kent put most of the people who accept scholarships with gpa requirements in the same section?
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I got my acceptance and scholarship on the internet. However, I have yet to get my letter. I'm not seeing in my MyIIT thing what the stipulations are for my scholarship. Is this true for everyone else? Do i have to wait to get my physical letter to know the stipulations of my scholly?


There are different award levels. The amount shown in MyIIT reflects option A. I believe it shows the amount you'd get for the first semester. So double it, and that is the per-year award if you maintain a 3.25. If you drop below that but stay above a 3.0, you get half the following year.

If your per-year amount for option A is $10k, the guaranteed - option B - amount would be $6k. If A=$20k, then B=$12k. If A=$fulltuition, then B=$20.


This is not necessarily true. There are some scholarships that don't have any stipulations. You have to wait for the letter to find that out.


Thanks for correcting me. I just assumed...


No prob. I was just trying to help out. Thats what we're all here for, right? :)

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:14 am

For those who took the 'withdraw to boost scholly amount' strategy, how did you go about withdrawing?

User avatar
illini10
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:44 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby illini10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:57 am

thinkbig wrote:
illini10 wrote:that is equally what I am thinking - if I can't pull a 3.0 I shouldn't be there


The problem is that EVERYONE who accepts option A believes this, but grades are curved over a normal distribution. Statistically you are just as likely to get a 2.5 as you are to get a 3.5.


I understand the statistics - my thought process is my first year is free and I can live at home. I am going to work my ass off to try to achieve a 3.25 or worse case a 3.0. If I am struggling and can't get these kind of grades, law school is not the place for me. I will find another career path and won't have taken on any debt in regards to law school. With the market the way it is don't we need to be toward the top of our class do have a good chance at finding a solid job?

User avatar
hotdog123
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby hotdog123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:18 pm

When's the deposit deadline?

roofles
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby roofles » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:26 pm

DonnyMost wrote:When's the deposit deadline?


The first has passed, the second is June 15.

User avatar
illini10
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:44 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby illini10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:29 pm

roofles wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:When's the deposit deadline?


The first has passed, the second is June 15.


Mine was extended until today

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:40 pm

illini10 wrote:
roofles wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:When's the deposit deadline?


The first has passed, the second is June 15.


Mine was extended until today


Me too, since I was just notified of my acceptance 7 days ago.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Am I the only one who still hasn't heard? I went under review for the first time on 2/14 or 2/15, something like that. Second under review was 3/25. It's a little late in the cycle to be waiting around like this.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Bedsole wrote:Am I the only one who still hasn't heard? I went under review for the first time on 2/14 or 2/15, something like that. Second under review was 3/25. It's a little late in the cycle to be waiting around like this.


According to a person in the admissions office I spoke with, you may be notified any time up to the first day of class. Like you won't have made other plans by then.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:50 pm

thinkbig wrote:
Bedsole wrote:Am I the only one who still hasn't heard? I went under review for the first time on 2/14 or 2/15, something like that. Second under review was 3/25. It's a little late in the cycle to be waiting around like this.


According to a person in the admissions office I spoke with, you may be notified any time up to the first day of class. Like you won't have made other plans by then.


Yeah, I give them two weeks before I ask for my application fee back. I submitted before THEIR deadline, you'd think they could at least return the favor.

ManUdevil
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby ManUdevil » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Bedsole wrote:Am I the only one who still hasn't heard? I went under review for the first time on 2/14 or 2/15, something like that. Second under review was 3/25. It's a little late in the cycle to be waiting around like this.


I haven't heard anything yet either. I went under review 2/19 and again 4/6...I applied to 12 schools and they were one of the first I applied to. They're the only school I haven't heard from yet.

raskolnikov32
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby raskolnikov32 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:25 pm

.
Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrose
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby jrose » Tue May 04, 2010 10:50 pm

decision rendered 5/4- deferred. this late in the game? they're nuts. off to USD.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Finickywalrus, Houzy, mdu and 10 guests