Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby as stars burn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:54 pm

thinkbig wrote:
as stars burn wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Decided not to take the Kent scholarship increase and withdrew. $90k total back in the pot! Good luck all!


Scholarship "increase"? Does that mean you successfully negotiated with them to increase the amount of their original offer? How did you go about it? I was offered $10k/yr and would definitely go there if they beat Loyola's offer of the same.
Sorry if you already explained; I haven't followed any of your previous posts.


I'm in the middle of negotiating with Kent as of now. I just shot them an email asking nicely if they would consider increasing my scholarship. You could also try calling. I already put a deposit down and you're really supposed to do negotiating with them before you put a deposit down, but I thought I'd try. Not sure how it'll turn out, but we'll see...


Did they reply? I am very interested in doing this too. I believe you can back out even if you put down a deposit; you just lose that money.


They said they are looking over my e-mail and will get back to be soon so we'll see. And yes, you can back out even if you put down a deposit, but you tend to have more leverage if you have yet to put down a deposit. I guess negotiating is pretty normal.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:32 pm

as stars burn wrote: but you tend to have more leverage if you have yet to put down a deposit. I guess negotiating is pretty normal.


So then would I have even more leverage if I've already put down a deposit (which I'm willing to lose) somewhere else?

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:36 pm

thinkbig wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Decided not to take the Kent scholarship increase and withdrew. $90k total back in the pot! Good luck all!


Scholarship "increase"? Does that mean you successfully negotiated with them to increase the amount of their original offer? How did you go about it? I was offered $10k/yr and would definitely go there if they beat Loyola's offer of the same.
Sorry if you already explained; I haven't followed any of your previous posts.


I actually sent a withdrawal and didn't put down a deposit. They countered with a higher offer and gave me a week extension on the tuition deposit deadline.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby as stars burn » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:09 pm

thinkbig wrote:
as stars burn wrote: but you tend to have more leverage if you have yet to put down a deposit. I guess negotiating is pretty normal.


So then would I have even more leverage if I've already put down a deposit (which I'm willing to lose) somewhere else?


Yeah, I would think. I guess it would come down to how much they want you.

LawMuns
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby LawMuns » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:17 pm

I got accepted today via email. Wooo-Hoooo!

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Accepted via e-mail. Too bad I'm so pissed for having to wait so long I can't even be happy about it. Fuck this school. Seriously. (I have been waiting so long to type that just in case they figured out who I am)

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:05 pm

when you get your myitt accepted students email later tonight or tommorrow, check under finances for your financial aid/scholarship award. This way you won't have to wait to get the letter in the mail.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:when you get your myitt accepted students email later tonight or tommorrow, check under finances for your financial aid/scholarship award. This way you won't have to wait to get the letter in the mail.



Thank you for the advice!

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Anyone going to the Admitted Students reception on Wednesday evening?

LawMuns
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby LawMuns » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:49 pm

im going 5/22.

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby NervousInKC » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:11 pm

What method were you guys using to negotiate scholarship money? E-mail? If so, what e-mail address?

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:13 pm

I think the most effective method, though riskiest, is to withdraw and hope they counter with a much higher offer.

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby NervousInKC » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:I think the most effective method, though riskiest, is to withdraw and hope they counter with a much higher offer.


Yeah that might work, but I'm not willing to take the chance.

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby NervousInKC » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 pm

I will be attending this fall!!!

b.j.
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby b.j. » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Today, they finally told me something, which was that after being in review since 3/11, I am now...in review, as of 4/28. I am not surprised, since it's PT and those decisions seem to come later, but still....

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:28 pm

I was dead-set on Loyola. I loved the school but they didn't offer much money (18k).

Just found out today Kent is offering me 60k. Shit. I had just given up on these guys and made up my mind. They REALLY know how to fuck with me.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:33 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:I was dead-set on Loyola. I loved the school but they didn't offer much money (18k).

Just found out today Kent is offering me 60k. Shit. I had just given up on these guys and made up my mind. They REALLY know how to fuck with me.


Maybe inform Loyola that they are your first choice but that you received a better offer from their competitor across town, and ask if they can match it?

This might be a long-shot though. I have heard several cases of Kent increasing their offer if you tell them you want to withdraw, but haven't heard any scholarship negotiation success stories for Loyola.
Last edited by thinkbig on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm gonna give it a shot but going to school for about 1/2 price at choice #2 isn't a bad worst case scenario.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby as stars burn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:19 pm

thinkbig wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I was dead-set on Loyola. I loved the school but they didn't offer much money (18k).

Just found out today Kent is offering me 60k. Shit. I had just given up on these guys and made up my mind. They REALLY know how to fuck with me.


Maybe inform Loyola that they are your first choice but that you received a better offer from their competitor across town, and ask if they can match it?

This might be a long-shot though. I have heard several cases of Kent increasing their offer if you tell them you want to withdraw, but haven't heard any scholarship negotiation success stories for Loyola.


I failed on my scholarship negotiation with Kent :( I'm still going though with some money so I'm happy. However, several people have received increases when they are trying to withdraw. I guess it depends on a lot of factors.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Is anyone else concerned by their downward trend in the rankings? I know rankings don't matter but 14 spots seems like a lot.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby as stars burn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:27 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Is anyone else concerned by their downward trend in the rankings? I know rankings don't matter but 14 spots seems like a lot.


Meh, not really. I try not to get too sucked into the rankings because they matter so much less after T20. Actually, as someone pointed out earlier, they had the exact same overall score as last year. I did some research on Kent's rankings and they managed to stay T60ish for 5-6 years, and only recently have they dropped a few spots. It happens. I still think they're a great school. I am hoping they can climb back up though. I'm riding out the waitlist at Illinois but will be more than happy at Kent.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:33 am

Gotcha. I'm just re-evaluating a lot of things. Its odd how this process has worked out. Loyola was my last choice then firmly moved to first and have been ousted by what was originally my first choice (Kent). The whole thing just might end up coming full-circle. Either way, I'm excited.

Its looking like I'll end up at Kent. Hope to see ya there!

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby as stars burn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:33 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Gotcha. I'm just re-evaluating a lot of things. Its odd how this process has worked out. Loyola was my last choice then firmly moved to first and have been ousted by what was originally my first choice (Kent). The whole thing just might end up coming full-circle. Either way, I'm excited.

Its looking like I'll end up at Kent. Hope to see ya there!


Sweet deal! Looking forward to meeting everyone in the Fall :) ...except I'm PT =D

thinkhard
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:26 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkhard » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:39 am

b.j. wrote:Today, they finally told me something, which was that after being in review since 3/11, I am now...in review, as of 4/28. I am not surprised, since it's PT and those decisions seem to come later, but still....


me too.

toolfan
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby toolfan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 am

i encourage all of you to join the facebook group for kent's 2010 entering class.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, brinicolec, carlos_danger and 20 guests