Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
Bucky83 wrote:
just make sure you get an unlimited cta pass and you're golden.

When you go to Kent you can get a U-Pass for like $80/semester and its unlimited.


The U-Pass doesn't cover the suburban Pace buses and can be problematic if you are based in a suburb which is not served by the CTA.


neither does it cover the metra. Using the Pace to get to a CTA ride would be a nightmare. But living in oak park, forest park, etc...and driving to the cta parking lot wouldn't be bad seeing how close the blue line is to Kent. That blue line ride would be quick, though who wants to live in the burbs unless you got a family...

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby NervousInKC » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:39 pm

I finally received my acceptance letter in the mail!! It says I got 20K per year for a total of 60, but I don't see any terms. Should I just assume it's guaranteed? I remember some of you saying you could choose between 20 with terms or a lower number guaranteed. Where did you see this information at?

orangeandblue4127
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby orangeandblue4127 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:42 pm

NervousInKC wrote:I finally received my acceptance letter in the mail!! It says I got 20K per year for a total of 60, but I don't see any terms. Should I just assume it's guaranteed? I remember some of you saying you could choose between 20 with terms or a lower number guaranteed. Where did you see this information at?


I would definitely call in to double check on terms. I accepted a scholarship from kent, but made sure that there were not gpa requirements or anything like that. They have a "good standing" stipulation, but that appears to be a subjective standard. Give the admissions office a ring, they are very helpful people. Best of luck!

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby fl0w » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:23 pm

just withdrew. was offered 20k/yr. Good luck everyone.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby as stars burn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:03 am

I posted this question in the Chicago-Kent Class of 2013 thread, but figured I'd post here too just in case...

Has anyone tried negotiating scholarship money with Kent? I did receive some money with them, but I thought I'd try. I sent an email to the admissions office yesterday afternoon (I know, super late and I already put a deposit down with them) and still haven't heard back. They're probably just going to ignore me, lol.

User avatar
nowinGA
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby nowinGA » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:07 am

as stars burn wrote:I posted this question in the Chicago-Kent Class of 2013 thread, but figured I'd post here too just in case...

Has anyone tried negotiating scholarship money with Kent? I did receive some money with them, but I thought I'd try. I sent an email to the admissions office yesterday afternoon (I know, super late and I already put a deposit down with them) and still haven't heard back. They're probably just going to ignore me, lol.


Yes. And it worked. And I didn't take it...so go get my $$!

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby as stars burn » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 am

nowinGA wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I posted this question in the Chicago-Kent Class of 2013 thread, but figured I'd post here too just in case...

Has anyone tried negotiating scholarship money with Kent? I did receive some money with them, but I thought I'd try. I sent an email to the admissions office yesterday afternoon (I know, super late and I already put a deposit down with them) and still haven't heard back. They're probably just going to ignore me, lol.


Yes. And it worked. And I didn't take it...so go get my $$!


Sweet! Thanks! That gives me hope. I was so worried about trying to negotiate that my e-mail about negotiating money sounds almost apologetic...but here's hoping it works!

beast510
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:30 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby beast510 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:37 pm

I guess in C-K there are lots of procrastination masters in the admissions committee

IR 01/16 02/19 and still no decision.

Waiting a moment, did I actually apply for Calvin Klein?

User avatar
SmittenMitten
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby SmittenMitten » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:56 pm

withdrew on the 15th from PT program w/$$

Hope this helps somebody!

roofles
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby roofles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:16 pm

In via status checker just now :D

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:55 pm

In via status checker and email from Dean Krent over the weekend. How long does it typically take from this point to get the acceptance letter in the mail? I'm anxious to see what kind of scholarship will be attached to the admission offer.

raskolnikov32
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby raskolnikov32 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:04 pm

.
Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:25 pm

raskolnikov32 wrote:
thinkbig wrote:In via status checker and email from Dean Krent over the weekend. How long does it typically take from this point to get the acceptance letter in the mail? I'm anxious to see what kind of scholarship will be attached to the admission offer.


Care to share your numbers and submit/complete dates for those of us still (im)patiently waiting?


By FAR the longest decision time of the 12 schools I applied to:
1/4 Submitted
1/13 Complete - Under Review
3/24 Complete - Under Review (after inquiring about status)
3/31 Complete - Under Review (after inquiring about status)
4/17 Admitted

roofles
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby roofles » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Mine (PT application) went -

app filed 2/8
first review some time in late feb.
second under review 3/11
third under review 3/29
admit dated 4/20 on status checker

thinkhard
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:26 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkhard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 pm

does the status checker actually say admit or just letter sent?

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby NervousInKC » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:42 pm

thinkhard wrote:does the status checker actually say admit or just letter sent?


I think it said admitted.

thinkhard
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:26 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkhard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:47 pm

NervousInKC wrote:
thinkhard wrote:does the status checker actually say admit or just letter sent?


I think it said admitted.



do you know if DePaul is the same? I thought it would just say letter sent.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:53 pm

thinkhard wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:
thinkhard wrote:does the status checker actually say admit or just letter sent?


I think it said admitted.



do you know if DePaul is the same? I thought it would just say letter sent.


DePaul's will say "Decision Letter Sent". Kent's will actually say "Admitted" (hopefully).

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Accepted 4/22 via status checker; went complete in the middle of February with above median LSAT.

User avatar
futurelawyer413
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby futurelawyer413 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:Accepted 4/22 via status checker; went complete in the middle of February with above median LSAT.


congrats! did you get an email also?

User avatar
Not-A-Teabagger
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:01 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:03 pm

futurelawyer413 wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:Accepted 4/22 via status checker; went complete in the middle of February with above median LSAT.


congrats! did you get an email also?


No, status checker just says admitted, and then states that a letter/package will be mailed shortly.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Decided not to take the Kent scholarship increase and withdrew. $90k total back in the pot! Good luck all!

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:20 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Decided not to take the Kent scholarship increase and withdrew. $90k total back in the pot! Good luck all!


Scholarship "increase"? Does that mean you successfully negotiated with them to increase the amount of their original offer? How did you go about it? I was offered $10k/yr and would definitely go there if they beat Loyola's offer of the same.
Sorry if you already explained; I haven't followed any of your previous posts.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby as stars burn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:55 pm

thinkbig wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Decided not to take the Kent scholarship increase and withdrew. $90k total back in the pot! Good luck all!


Scholarship "increase"? Does that mean you successfully negotiated with them to increase the amount of their original offer? How did you go about it? I was offered $10k/yr and would definitely go there if they beat Loyola's offer of the same.
Sorry if you already explained; I haven't followed any of your previous posts.


I'm in the middle of negotiating with Kent as of now. I just shot them an email asking nicely if they would consider increasing my scholarship. You could also try calling. I already put a deposit down and you're really supposed to do negotiating with them before you put a deposit down, but I thought I'd try. Not sure how it'll turn out, but we'll see...

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby thinkbig » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:00 pm

as stars burn wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Decided not to take the Kent scholarship increase and withdrew. $90k total back in the pot! Good luck all!


Scholarship "increase"? Does that mean you successfully negotiated with them to increase the amount of their original offer? How did you go about it? I was offered $10k/yr and would definitely go there if they beat Loyola's offer of the same.
Sorry if you already explained; I haven't followed any of your previous posts.


I'm in the middle of negotiating with Kent as of now. I just shot them an email asking nicely if they would consider increasing my scholarship. You could also try calling. I already put a deposit down and you're really supposed to do negotiating with them before you put a deposit down, but I thought I'd try. Not sure how it'll turn out, but we'll see...


Did they reply? I am very interested in doing this too. I believe you can back out even if you put down a deposit; you just lose that money.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackpi, finaciardi, hip to be Square and 8 guests