Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keg411

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Got an e-mail reminding me about the deposit deadline. Responded by withdrawing and putting my $45k back in.

raskolnikov32

Postby raskolnikov32 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:06 pm

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

schneitj

Postby schneitj » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:34 am

Agreed....I'm a bit annoyed as well. I'm still waiting on Houston as well....I guess it's better than a quick reject or W/L? Right???

beast510

Postby beast510 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:59 am

Actually I think we are just kinda WLed or deferred by C-K. I mean if those ppl in the admissions committee has really literally reviewed our file for 3 months, they can recite our personal statements now.

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:31 am

toolfan wrote:Accepted (a few weeks ago) to the pt program with $$. I can't seem to justify living in Chicago unless i'm working during the day. i've been looking at housing in the Lincoln Park area, what appears to be a comfortable, accessible neighborhood. Not familiar with Chicago, though. Any suggestions?

Lincoln Park is an expensive area. If you are worried about col, this is definitely not the neighborhood for you. How large of an apartment do you need and how much do you want to spend?

Not-A-Teabagger

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:58 am

thinkhard wrote:
toolfan wrote:Accepted (a few weeks ago) to the pt program with $$. I can't seem to justify living in Chicago unless i'm working during the day. i've been looking at housing in the Lincoln Park area, what appears to be a comfortable, accessible neighborhood. Not familiar with Chicago, though. Any suggestions?

Lincoln Park is an expensive area. If you are worried about col, this is definitely not the neighborhood for you. How large of an apartment do you need and how much do you want to spend?

My suggestion is to get an apartment in uptown between the streets of irving park and montrose within a few blocks of the lakeshore path. Best bang for your money $930.00 for a nice 1 bdrm near express bus routes and sheraton red line. This is opposed to lakeview near the lakeshore path, i.e. diversey to irving park where a decent studio costs 930.00. Decent deals in eclectic neighborhoods can also be had anywhere between sheffield and ashland from diversey to montrose (i.e. just a bit further from the lakeshore path). Lincoln Park is silly for law school unless you are rich, down south is dangerous, and I don't know enough about the rest of the city to advise elsewhere.

Bucky83

Postby Bucky83 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:21 am

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
thinkhard wrote:

My suggestion is to get an apartment in uptown between the streets of irving park and montrose within a few blocks of the lakeshore path. Best bang for your money $930.00 for a nice 1 bdrm near express bus routes and sheraton red line. This is opposed to lakeview near the lakeshore path, i.e. diversey to irving park where a decent studio costs 930.00. Decent deals in eclectic neighborhoods can also be had anywhere between sheffield and ashland from diversey to montrose (i.e. just a bit further from the lakeshore path). Lincoln Park is silly for law school unless you are rich, down south is dangerous, and I don't know enough about the rest of the city to advise elsewhere.

The best resource I've found for checking out apartments in Chicago is Padmapper. The website pulls all apartment listings on Craigslist, puts them on a Google map and allows you to filter with various categories.

Also, I live in the lakeview area and have a solid one bedroom for about $800. My rental company is Realty & Mortgage and they have some really affordable places in the area.

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:24 am

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
thinkhard wrote:

you can get decent one bedroom in the lakeview area for 800 - 900. If you want to spend a little more you can get a nicer place with updated appliances, nice counters and cabinets for around 1000.

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:27 am

Bucky83 wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
thinkhard wrote:

The best resource I've found for checking out apartments in Chicago is Padmapper. The website pulls all apartment listings on Craigslist, puts them on a Google map and allows you to filter with various categories.

Also, I live in the lakeview area and have a solid one bedroom for about $800. My rental company is Realty & Mortgage and they have some really affordable places in the area.

there are a lot of condo owners renting their units in lakeview right now. I began renting a small but really nice place last year for 950. My landlord was nice enough to not raise the rent because he knew I was about to spend a ton of money on law school.

Not-A-Teabagger

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:37 am

Bucky83 wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
thinkhard wrote:

Man, I must have gotten ripped two years ago. I paid $850 for a really crappy, small studio where on occasion I encountered rats coming out from behind the appliances in lakeview (melrose and broadway). This was my first time in the city and I used one of those apartment hunter places, so I can imagine I got screwed. You guys must live further from the lakeshore path because when searching for places last year near the path in lakeview (including Realty & Mortgage) I couldn't find a 1bdrm anywhere near that. I ended up in uptown (Buena/broadway) near the pathway in an awesome, huge 1 bdrm with wood floors, new appliances, etc... for $930.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am

Uptown is quite sketchy. Don't move there unless you have someone helping you that knows the neighborhood.

Try Bridgeport, ravenswood, east pilsen and Logan square. Run away if anyone mentions "a cheap apartment in WEST bucktown." It's actually humboldt park and you'll probably get robbed on a bi-weekly basis. The other options I just named are cheap and safe places to live.

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 am

I like Buena/broadway, there is a dog park down the street I go to all the time. I found my place at Irving and Marine drive for 950.

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Uptown is quite sketchy. Don't move there unless you have someone helping you that knows the neighborhood.

Try Bridgeport, ravenswood, east pilsen and Logan square. Run away if anyone mentions "a cheap apartment in WEST bucktown." It's actually humboldt park and you'll probably get robbed on a bi-weekly basis. The other options I just named are cheap and safe places to live.

Bridgeport is on the southside and Pilsen is southwest, I would not live there while going to school. Ravenswood is a little west if you want to be by the lake, but the brown line is right there so it would be easy to go downtown and get to other areas of the city.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am

beast510 wrote:Actually I think we are just kinda WLed or deferred by C-K. I mean if those ppl in the admissions committee has really literally reviewed our file for 3 months, they can recite our personal statements now.

Actually I've talked to the admissions office a couple of times and I don't think this is true. I think their office is just incredibly slow and inefficient. If you look at last year's thread the same thing happened to people. Also, IU-B is the same way. They sent me an e-mail the other day saying essentially that they're sorry its taking so long. And I have heard incredibly similar stories about their two admissions offices.

Not-A-Teabagger

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:57 am

thinkhard wrote:I like Buena/broadway, there is a dog park down the street I go to all the time. I found my place at Irving and Marine drive for 950.

the one underneath the tracks? yea, if I had a dog I would be there all the time too. On a side note, it does look like rental prices have gone down this year looking at Realty & Mortgage. I know for a fact that last year around this time (when I was looking for a place) Realty & Mortgage didn't have nearly as many openings, and the prices were quite a bit higher (I visited quite a few of the apartments on the lakeshore side of broadway and they were a bit on the small side with carpet, not wood floors, and older appliances).

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:59 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
beast510 wrote:Actually I think we are just kinda WLed or deferred by C-K. I mean if those ppl in the admissions committee has really literally reviewed our file for 3 months, they can recite our personal statements now.

Actually I've talked to the admissions office a couple of times and I don't think this is true. I think their office is just incredibly slow and inefficient. If you look at last year's thread the same thing happened to people. Also, IU-B is the same way. They sent me an e-mail the other day saying essentially that they're sorry its taking so long. And I have heard incredibly similar stories about their two admissions offices.

I think you're right. I know a few years ago the Chicago area schools have seen an incredible increase in applications, and I have a feeling that the schools screening process is not able to handle the increase in applicants.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:00 am

thinkhard wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:Uptown is quite sketchy. Don't move there unless you have someone helping you that knows the neighborhood.

Bridgeport is on the southside and Pilsen is southwest, I would not live there while going to school. Ravenswood is a little west if you want to be by the lake, but the brown line is right there so it would be easy to go downtown and get to other areas of the city.

I live in Bridgeport now and the east side Pilsen is just north of me. I can obviously speak more intelligently of Bridgeport and just have to say its very blue collar. I live by city workers, cops and firefighters. My neighborhood is incredibly safe and incredibly cheap. Its not glamorous, its not pretty but that's not why I moved there. I moved there for a renovated $900 a month 2bdrm that was 1/2 between girlfriend and work. If you want a cheap place to live during law school, I would encourage at least giving it a look.

As for the eastern portion of Pilsen (east of ashland), its quite artsy as the UIC kids have been priced out of the neighborhoods immediately around UIC. My friends and I hang out in Pilsen often and I know quite a few people who live there on the cheap and love it. Its also home to a burdening art community that is actually pretty cool (i know jack about art btw) and provides the area with a surprising amount of cheap stuff to do and cheap bars to go to (because artists are poor).
Last edited by Kobe_Teeth on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 am

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
thinkhard wrote:I like Buena/broadway, there is a dog park down the street I go to all the time. I found my place at Irving and Marine drive for 950.

the one underneath the tracks? yea, if I had a dog I would be there all the time too. On a side note, it does look like rental prices have gone down this year looking at Realty & Mortgage. I know for a fact that last year around this time (when I was looking for a place) Realty & Mortgage didn't have nearly as many openings, and the prices were quite a bit higher (I visited quite a few of the apartments on the lakeshore side of broadway and they were a bit on the small side with carpet, not wood floors, and older appliances).

My place is rather small for a one bedroom, but I decided that I would rather have a really nice place that is small.

Yea the one underneath the tracks, I am there everyday day with my two dogs. Although I have a feeling once school starts they may not be able to go every day.

Not-A-Teabagger

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:09 am

thinkhard wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:

My place is rather small for a one bedroom, but I decided that I would rather have a really nice place that is small.

Yea the one underneath the tracks, I am there everyday day with my two dogs. Although I have a feeling once school starts they may not be able to go every day.

how unfortunate for them. yea, I felt like I got lucky last year in finding my building with Reside. At least you're further up the bus route than I.

thinkhard

Postby thinkhard » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
thinkhard wrote:

I live in Bridgeport now and the east side Pilsen is just north of me. I can obviously speak more intelligently of Bridgeport and just have to say its very blue collar. I live by city workers, cops and firefighters. My neighborhood is incredibly safe and incredibly cheap. Its not glamorous, its not pretty but that's not why I moved there. I moved there for a renovated $900 a month 2bdrm that was 1/2 between girlfriend and work. If you want a cheap place to live during law school, I would encourage at least giving it a look.

As for the eastern portion of Pilsen (east of ashland), its quite artsy as the UIC kids have been priced out of the neighborhoods immediately around UIC. My friends and I hang out in Pilsen often and I know quite a few people who live there on the cheap and love it. Its also home to a burdening art community that is actually pretty cool (i know jack about art btw) and provides the area with a surprising amount of cheap stuff to do and cheap bars to go to (because artists are poor).

how easy is it to get to Kent on public transportation? I was more concerned with how easy it is to get around in each neighborhood.

Bucky83

Postby Bucky83 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:20 am

how easy is it to get to Kent on public transportation? I was more concerned with how easy it is to get around in each neighborhood.

Relatively easy in the sense that you have a lot of options. It is only a few blocks from the blue line which runs extends northwest and southwest from the city. If you live north or south of the city you can take the red line to the blue line. There are also some express buses from the lakeview area to downtown. Another option from lakeview is the Halsted bus. The metra station is right next to the school if you take the Metra (which goes to the suburbs).

Not-A-Teabagger

Postby Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:22 am

thinkhard wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:
thinkhard wrote:

with the blue line near and metra stops nearby, you could easily live in the burbs to the west or the villages to the north. other than that, just make sure you get an unlimited cta pass and you're golden. The transit system is great in my opinion. Wherever you choose, just make sure that you either live close to a subway stop or near an express route into downtown.

Why did I just answer someone who lives right next to me? It's tough to interpret connotation over the internet.
Last edited by Not-A-Teabagger on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 am

thinkhard wrote:
Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
thinkhard wrote:

you can get decent one bedroom in the lakeview area for 800 - 900. If you want to spend a little more you can get a nicer place with updated appliances, nice counters and cabinets for around 1000.

Thanks for the advice gents. It's probably obvious that I don't know much about Chicago and its pricing, but there definately seems to be some reasonable places out there. A $900 apartment, non studio, would be ideal. Lincoln Park was just a launching pad, being one of the few neighborhoods I've heard of. I don't mind a reasonable commute (30 mins). I'd do anything to save a few hunderd bucks a month. It adds up over the years.

Bucky83

Postby Bucky83 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:26 am

just make sure you get an unlimited cta pass and you're golden.

When you go to Kent you can get a U-Pass for like $80/semester and its unlimited.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Bucky83 wrote:
just make sure you get an unlimited cta pass and you're golden.

When you go to Kent you can get a U-Pass for like $80/semester and its unlimited.

The U-Pass doesn't cover the suburban Pace buses and can be problematic if you are based in a suburb which is not served by the CTA.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”