Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FunkyJD

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:35 pm

keg411 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
keg411 wrote:However, this is purely an academic exercise for me, since I'm not going to Kent. The price, even with the scholly made me :shock: .

How the hell can Chicago-Kent be more expensive than Notre Dame, and come within $1k of Texas OOS?

No clue, but they are crazy. Though if people want to pay it....

I wish I had ND or TX. Those I would pay $$$$ for :(.

I wish I had TX, too. But they didn't like me. :oops

Oh well. "Lord I was born a ramblin' man ... trying to make a livin' and doin' the best I can ..."

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:47 am

Accepted (a few weeks ago) to the pt program with $$. I can't seem to justify living in Chicago unless i'm working during the day. i've been looking at housing in the Lincoln Park area, what appears to be a comfortable, accessible neighborhood. Not familiar with Chicago, though. Any suggestions?

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:50 pm

I e-mailed and asked when I could expect a decision. I was told around the next week or so. My last review date was 3/17. I believe that was the third time it changed. Hopefully they're accurate, although I am fairly positive that I won't be attending.

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 am

I was updated 3/29. Should I expect a decision soon? I only have two more aps out, and I really want to know all of my options!

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Just withdrew my only acceptance so far, I'm very sure I want to try again next year. $20k scholarship back in the bank! Good luck all!

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:15 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Just withdrew my only acceptance so far, I'm very sure I want to try again next year. $20k scholarship back in the bank! Good luck all!

hark! it is time to negotiate!

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:06 pm

In via status checker and e-mail!! No word about any money. Does this usually come with the letter or would they have mentioned it in the e-mail?

beast510

Postby beast510 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Four weeks ago I called and they told me to call back two weeks later if I still haven't received a decision.

Two weeks ago I called again and they told me to call back two weeks later if I still haven't received a decision.

Today I called back again, and they still told me to call back two weeks later if I still haven't received a decision.

So, are they playing some kind of nasty game here?

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 pm

In today via status checker and email as well!! Too bad I didn't know earlier, they had a bar night tonight and I'm in Chicago. Lame!! I don't think I can make the ASD tomorrow either, but its cool to know I'm in!

I also just realized they have me registered as OOS :shock: . I'm living in Chicago and have been for the last year after graduation. That should be enough for in-state right?

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 pm

NervousInKC wrote:In via status checker and e-mail!! No word about any money. Does this usually come with the letter or would they have mentioned it in the e-mail?

$$ came in my acceptance letter.

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 pm

toolfan wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:In via status checker and e-mail!! No word about any money. Does this usually come with the letter or would they have mentioned it in the e-mail?

$$ came in my acceptance letter.

Thanks!

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:59 pm

Whitters wrote:In today via status checker and email as well!! Too bad I didn't know earlier, they had a bar night tonight and I'm in Chicago. Lame!! I don't think I can make the ASD tomorrow either, but its cool to know I'm in!

I also just realized they have me registered as OOS :shock: . I'm living in Chicago and have been for the last year after graduation. That should be enough for in-state right?

Congrats! Now we just have to wait for snail mail to see if they show us the money :D
Whitters, do you think there's a good chance you'll be attending?

TrackTony88

Postby TrackTony88 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:01 am

after going to ASD, I have decided Kent isn't a good suit for me so I'll be withdrawing...so hopefully this opens a spot for someone!

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:40 am

TrackTony88 wrote:after going to ASD, I have decided Kent isn't a good suit for me so I'll be withdrawing...so hopefully this opens a spot for someone!

What didn't you like about it? Was there something in particular that was a deal breaker, or just overall you didn't like it? Just wondering because there's a chance it would help some of us still deciding. Thanks!

Good luck to you!

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:13 am

FunkyJD wrote:
keg411 wrote:However, this is purely an academic exercise for me, since I'm not going to Kent. The price, even with the scholly made me :shock: .

How the hell can Chicago-Kent be more expensive than Notre Dame, and come within $1k of Texas OOS?

It definitely has A LOT to do with location. Texas is in....well, Texas and Notre Dame is in Indiana. These are very different areas. Yes, Notre Dame is a better school and they charge less but look at the locations. I live in Florida and Florida State and U of Florida are dirt cheap (even for OOS students) are they are ranked in the 50's. However, it's Florida--COL isn't very high and almost everything is "cheap" here. Chicago-Kent is actually pretty reasonable for its area and competition. Tuition has risen everywhere. I have a friend at Northwestern who is considering taking some classes at Chicago-Kent to save some money (since he's in a massive amount of debt right now and always tells me how reasonably priced Kent is for the quality of education...).

Chicago is a great city. It's kind of like a poor man's New York per say. They have a great transit system so if you live on the outskirts of Chicago it's not so expensive. Plus, I believe Chicago-Kent gives students passes to use the train for free or for very little at the least. My Northwestern friend rides for free any time he wants during the year, and actually was able to get rid of his car (which saves mega money as well). But, again...great city. I love Chicago.
Last edited by as stars burn on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrackTony88

Postby TrackTony88 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:14 am

NervousInKC wrote:
TrackTony88 wrote:after going to ASD, I have decided Kent isn't a good suit for me so I'll be withdrawing...so hopefully this opens a spot for someone!

What didn't you like about it? Was there something in particular that was a deal breaker, or just overall you didn't like it? Just wondering because there's a chance it would help some of us still deciding. Thanks!

Good luck to you!

This is just from my experience obviously, I was deciding between Kent and Illinois...
(rankings aside I wanted to judge both equally...had equal scholarship offers to both, but COL of Illinois is cheaper so that's obviously a plus, however I went to IL for undergrad so i wanted to decide between the familiar and the city (Kent).

The only other admitted students day I had to compare it to was UIUC which I absolutely loved so also keep that in mind..

The Kent ASD primarily consisted of an hour presentation from the Dean and 5 students. At least in my opinion, the dean did not really answer questions as well as I would have liked, but he was being honest about the outlook of jobs. He said it hopes to be better by the time we graduate in 2013. It seems as those getting jobs now or OCI are those with work experience prior to law school or those pursuing IP. He did mention that every first yr student would be guaranteed an externship their first summer (possibly not to part timers), but it seems like the specifics of how this was to be done was still in the design stages.

The student panel consisted of a very diverse group of students who all excelled very well in their areas (one pursuing a PHD, some evening students, etc.) but at least for me coming out of undergrad made it a bit harder to relate since it seemed to make the school look like more of a commuter school for the working crowd (which obviously if that is what you are looking for makes it perfect). For me coming from a Big 10 atmosphere, I still wanted the campus community feel and did not get that from Kent. The ASD was also on a saturday and I had visited it a year prior before applying and really did love it when a student gave me a tour initially. That is why I was so shocked to have such a negative view after ASD.

We also had a mock class (I chose to attend criminal law), but he only chose on volunteers. I personally liked UIUC Dean Smith's Mock class where we were given the case a few days before and actually had the socratic experience..more realistic on what to expect.

In my opinion, I say if you are going towards IP it is a great choice or choosing to work full time, otherwise I'd say DePaul impressed me more (the dean of admissions at DePaul gives amazing tours) or a place with a cheaper COL.

Hope that helps, and by all means I do not think Kent is a bad school. As I said, just not for me.

I think 98% sure on UIUC haha.
Last edited by TrackTony88 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:19 am

^^^ I'm currently on the waitlist at Illinois and would be very happy to get into there! However, I'll be happy at Kent if that's where I end up too =D

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:25 am

TrackTony88 wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:

Good luck to you!

This is just from my experience obviously, I was deciding between Kent and Illinois...
(rankings aside I wanted to judge both equally...had equal scholarship offers to both, but COL of Illinois is cheaper so that's obviously a plus, however I went to IL for undergrad so i wanted to decide between the familiar and the city (Kent).

The only other admitted students day I had to compare it to was UIUC which I absolutely loved so also keep that in mind..

The Kent ASD primarily consisted of an hour presentation from the Dean and 5 students. At least in my opinion, the dean did not really answer questions as well as I would have liked, but he was being honest about the outlook of jobs. He said it hopes to be better by the time we graduate in 2013. It seems as those getting jobs now or OCI are those with work experience prior to law school or those pursuing IP. He did mention that every first yr student would be guaranteed an externship their first summer (possibly not to part timers), but it seems like the specifics of how this was to be done was still in the design stages.

The student panel consisted of a very diverse group of students who all excelled very well in their areas (one pursuing a PHD, some evening students, etc.) but at least for me coming out of undergrad made it a bit harder to relate since it seemed to make the school look like more of a commuter school for the working crowd (which obviously if that is what you are looking for makes it perfect). For me coming from a Big 10 atmosphere, I still wanted the campus community feel and did not get that from Kent. The ASD was also on a saturday and I had visited it a year prior before applying and really did love it when a student gave me a tour initially. That is why I was so shocked to have such a negative view after ASD.

We also had a mock class (I chose to attend criminal law), but he only chose on volunteers. I personally liked UIUC Dean Smith's Mock class where we were given the case a few days before and actually had the socratic experience..more realistic on what to expect.

In my opinion, I say if you are going towards IP it is a great choice or choosing to work full time, otherwise I'd say DePaul impressed me more (the dean of admissions at DePaul gives amazing tours) or a place with a cheaper COL.

Hope that helps, and by all means I do not think Kent is a bad school. As I said, just not for me.

I think 98% sure on UIUC haha.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

Bucky83

Postby Bucky83 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:32 am

After going to ASW I'll be going to Chicago Kent.

Here are my reasons:
-Big scholarship
-The school seems more geared towards attracting people with work experience/focusing on making sure their students gain relevant work skills
-Good vibe
-Solid location, really nice facility
-In terms of the schools I was realistically thinking about (Kent, Loyola and DePaul), Kent seemed the best. DePaul was the easiest to cross off the list. (Seems to have the worst reputation of the three, worst facilities and they recently had some type of scandal there). Loyola was a very close second. The biggest factor was that I was told they cap their scholarships to 20K a year. Other than that I thought it was a solid school.

At this point I think I'll be putting my deposit down at Kent any day.

Also, we need to start a thread that isn't "Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?"

nit00

Postby nit00 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:37 am

Bucky83 wrote:At this point I think I'll be putting my deposit down at Kent any day.

Also, we need to start a thread that isn't "Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?"

I'll be depositing this week is as well. There is this thread also viewtopic.php?f=25&t=106160

windycity

Postby windycity » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:44 am

Last edited by windycity on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:53 am

Join the Facebook group, Chicago - Kent 2010 Entering Class.

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 pm

I couldn't wait for the snail mail, so I logged into the myIIT portal and took a look at the Financial tab. Looks like I got 20k a year. I didn't see any stipulations, but I'm sure that will come in the letter.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Soooooooo friggin' sick of waiting on this one last school. Starting to get a little pissed....and when I see "a little" I actually mean...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LadyLuck2010

Postby LadyLuck2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Withdrew today. That puts an additional $60K in the pot.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”