Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thinkbig

Bronze

Re: Has anyone heard from Chicago-Kent?

Post by thinkbig » Tue May 04, 2010 10:54 pm

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Tue May 04, 2010 10:59 pm

jrose wrote:decision rendered 5/4- deferred. this late in the game? they're nuts. off to USD.
Don't take it personally. Although, it is truly baffling. They are a good school but have a very slow and inefficient admissions office. Good luck and have fun in SoCal.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed May 05, 2010 7:53 am

Made up my mind. I am defintely going to Kent this fall! Excited!

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Wed May 05, 2010 8:41 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Made up my mind. I am defintely going to Kent this fall! Excited!
Nice. See you there!

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Wed May 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Complete 1/28 --> Under review 4/14 --> ???

I called two weeks ago and was told I'd have a response in a week, as I was under "final review." Out of the 22 schools I applied to, Chicago-Kent is the last school I have yet to hear from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rosebud523

New

Post by Rosebud523 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Went complete January 31st then again on March 25th. My status hasn't changed since then, but I have called every two weeks and they keep saying I'm under final review. I hateee waiting. I'm so anxious. For the people who waited a while and are finally getting accepted, what are your numbers. I want to know if I'm even wasting my time thinking I could get in?

NervousInKC

Bronze

Post by NervousInKC » Wed May 05, 2010 7:06 pm

thinkbig wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:Made up my mind. I am defintely going to Kent this fall! Excited!
Nice. See you there!
exciting! I'll be there too :)

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed May 05, 2010 11:43 pm

NervousInKC wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
Nice. See you there!
exciting! I'll be there too :)
me four! :) (unless of course Illinois lets me off the waitlist!)

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Thu May 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Anyone else do the linkedin search for Chi-Kent? I was relatively impressed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:38 pm

I just got in off the waitlist. I am happy that I was accepted, but I assume since I was on the waitlist that I won't be offered any scholly money. I guess I'll find out when the packet comes

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Fri May 07, 2010 5:57 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:I just got in off the waitlist. I am happy that I was accepted, but I assume since I was on the waitlist that I won't be offered any scholly money. I guess I'll find out when the packet comes
You can log into the myIIT portal and look in the Financial tab to see your scholly amount, if any. The login info should be emailed to you before your packet comes in the mail.

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for the tip. I haven't really been following this thread, has anyone that got accepted off the waitlist been offered a scholarship?

beast510

New

Post by beast510 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:54 am

I guess no one is having a worse situation than me.

IR in early Jan. and the date changed two times, but still no decision...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManUdevil

New

Post by ManUdevil » Sat May 08, 2010 11:35 am

beast510 wrote:I guess no one is having a worse situation than me.

IR in early Jan. and the date changed two times, but still no decision...
Similar situation, IR early Feb. though...the last status update for me was Under Review 4/6.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed May 12, 2010 12:56 am

Admitted late last week, got my scholly offer in the mail today: $30,000/year if top ~1/3rd GPA, drops to $15,000/year if GPA is in between 3.0 and top ~1/3rd; or $18,000/year guarunteed. I would definitely take the $30K/year offer if I attend.

Wow, that's more than I was expecting given my GPA, but I do have a graduate degree from IIT, and both of my LORs are from IIT professors. This effectively makes Kent my cheapest option so far, and it's in my target market, and I already have tons of friends in Chicago. Still, it would be hard to justify turning down Wisconsin with in-state tuition ($17K/year), or a UIUC or WUSTL waitlist acceptance. I was going to withdraw almost for sure, but now I'll have to think about this over the next few days. I'm of the belief that if you don't get T14, you should go to your cheapest option in your target market, but Wisconsin is also cheaper COL. Both schools kind of got hammered at OCI this last year, although Wisconsin was in a better place to begin with.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 am

JCougar wrote:Admitted late last week, got my scholly offer in the mail today: $30,000/year if top ~1/3rd GPA, drops to $15,000/year if GPA is in between 3.0 and top ~1/3rd; or $18,000/year guarunteed. I would definitely take the $30K/year offer if I attend.

Wow, that's more than I was expecting given my GPA, but I do have a graduate degree from IIT, and both of my LORs are from IIT professors. This effectively makes Kent my cheapest option so far, and it's in my target market, and I already have tons of friends in Chicago. Still, it would be hard to justify turning down Wisconsin with in-state tuition ($17K/year), or a UIUC or WUSTL waitlist acceptance. I was going to withdraw almost for sure, but now I'll have to think about this over the next few days. I'm of the belief that if you don't get T14, you should go to your cheapest option in your target market, but Wisconsin is also cheaper COL. Both schools kind of got hammered at OCI this last year, although Wisconsin was in a better place to begin with.
Wow, nice scholly offer... mind sharing your numbers?

As for Wisconsin vs. Chicago-Kent, I think even though Wisconsin probably has a wider market reach, Kent would be a better choice due to the scholarship. Even if costs were equal, Kent and Wisconsin would probably be similarly competitive in the Chicago market. WUSTL or UIUC, though, I think would be worth paying a little more for.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 am

thinkbig wrote:
JCougar wrote:Admitted late last week, got my scholly offer in the mail today: $30,000/year if top ~1/3rd GPA, drops to $15,000/year if GPA is in between 3.0 and top ~1/3rd; or $18,000/year guarunteed. I would definitely take the $30K/year offer if I attend.

As for Wisconsin vs. Chicago-Kent, I think even though Wisconsin probably has a wider market reach, Kent would be a better choice due to the scholarship. Even if costs were equal, Kent and Wisconsin would probably be similarly competitive in the Chicago market. WUSTL or UIUC, though, I think would be worth paying a little more for.
168/2.95, but with a MS from IIT and WE in between now and my ghastly GPA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Wed May 12, 2010 11:12 am

JCougar wrote:
thinkbig wrote:

168/2.95, but with a MS from IIT and WE in between now and my ghastly GPA.
Congrats, sounds like you did well. I too have a MS (not from IIT, but Ivy) and WE, but didn't get that level of scholarship. I had a higher UGPA but worse LSAT. Maybe Kent favors higher LSATs or maybe IIT just takes care of their own? Eh, I'm happy about Kent. But I love Chicago. If you want to have the option of practicing elsewhere in the Midwest, though, Wisconsin might be the smarter choice.

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Wed May 12, 2010 4:09 pm

In via email from the Dean yesterday. I have now heard something from all 22 schools.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Wed May 12, 2010 5:15 pm

That is a nice scholly offer! Congrats! I'm probably heading to Chicago-Kent in the Fall on a scholarship so maybe I'll see you there! As far as Kent vs. Wisconsin. Kent is definitely competitive in its market...they're a solid school from what I've heard from friends and professors at Northwestern, and I'm more than impressed with admissions (although I know they're slow with acceptances/rejections) I agree that Wisconsin would be better if you want a little more leeway with where to practice in the midwest; however, I love Chicago and will be happy there after graduation. Also, most schools got hammered in OCI this past year...Kent is guaranteeing externships for all full-time students (I'm going part-time, but PTers are still given the same opportunities if they want it) this coming year so that's kind of cool (not sure how they're going to do that, but it's cool nonetheless.) Anyway, good luck on your decisions....I'm also on the waitlist at UIUC and I'm pretty sad that it doesn't look like there will be much, if any, movement on the waitlist...but I'll be more than happy at Kent.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Wed May 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Guaranteed externships is definitely cool. One of the many factors that swayed me toward Kent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Under review first time 2/15. Still under review. Umm, Chicago-Kent... seat deposits are coming up... and by that I mean SECOND seat deposits. Can I have a decision? AT ALL?

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:07 pm

I just got admitted off the waitlist. 10k/year if I maintain 3.2 or 6K/year no stipulations

What percent is 3.25 at kent? I was offered 10K for 3.0 at Loyola and they said a 3.0 there is top 50-60% so that seems reasonable. Just trying to compare these two schollys

thanks

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed May 12, 2010 10:25 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:I just got admitted off the waitlist. 10k/year if I maintain 3.2 or 6K/year no stipulations

What percent is 3.25 at kent? I was offered 10K for 3.0 at Loyola and they said a 3.0 there is top 50-60% so that seems reasonable. Just trying to compare these two schollys

thanks
My materials said 3.2 is usually between top 25-30%

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:30 pm

cool thanks for the info. I turned down 15K at DePaul because Top 35% seemed like a bit of a trap, so I think I'll stick with Loyola. I'm glad I was accepted to Kent though, I honestly didn't think I'd get in with a 3.4 and 160

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”