Suffolk Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wpc1532

New

Re: Suffolk

Post by wpc1532 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:18 am

So, I've got a class sit-in and tour scheduled for the 25th. I've also booked a seperate day to just wander arond the city, in order to get a feel/impression of it. Is there anything in particular that I should visit? Any recommendations from folks in or arond the Boston area?

ILoveClowns8

New

Post by ILoveClowns8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Just got my acceptance via snail mail today, along with a separate letter (dated one day after the acceptance) offering a full tuition scholarship. Very tempting, if I had not been accepted to Iowa I'd already be sold. The scholarship does have a 3.0 GPA requirement attached.

wpc1532

New

Post by wpc1532 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:28 pm

bhblack wrote:Just got my acceptance via snail mail today, along with a separate letter (dated one day after the acceptance) offering a full tuition scholarship. Very tempting, if I had not been accepted to Iowa I'd already be sold. The scholarship does have a 3.0 GPA requirement attached.
congrats! a full-ride is always something tough to pass up.

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:38 pm

I see many of you are recieving scholarship offers. I was accepted back in November or maybe early December (not sure). But I have not heard a peep since then. Was there anything else needed for me to obtain financial offers? Thanks.

ILoveClowns8

New

Post by ILoveClowns8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 am

wpc1532 wrote:
bhblack wrote:Just got my acceptance via snail mail today, along with a separate letter (dated one day after the acceptance) offering a full tuition scholarship. Very tempting, if I had not been accepted to Iowa I'd already be sold. The scholarship does have a 3.0 GPA requirement attached.
congrats! a full-ride is always something tough to pass up.
Thanks! It's really tough, I feel awful but I will be turning it down. I get in-state at Iowa from the beginning, and there is a big difference in school rank. While I wouldn't mind working in MA, I don't necessarily want to be confined to Boston. Iowa will give me portability in the Midwest, and I would be happy in a number of cities here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Got word from someone watching the mail at my current address that I'd been admitted today. No word on scholarship or anything, gonna be a few days till I get back and see it myself.

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:49 pm

I was accepted a couple weeks ago; forgot to come on here and let people know. I applied to the evening program as a backup (was going through different job options at application time) and got an almost-full ride. I'm going to end up withdrawing, I'm sure, as I have BC.

Congrats to everyone else too!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Anyone actually hear anything electronically?

I got my application to them electronically at the beginning of the month, got the LSAC receipt for it, but I haven't heard a peep from Suffolk (i.e. status check, e-mail saying I'm complete, etc).

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:Anyone actually hear anything electronically?

I got my application to them electronically at the beginning of the month, got the LSAC receipt for it, but I haven't heard a peep from Suffolk (i.e. status check, e-mail saying I'm complete, etc).
When I applied back in November, I got an email the next day saying it had been received and promising another once it was complete. I never got a 'complete' email, and nothing at all until the letter today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LoveSaltLife

New

Post by LoveSaltLife » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Suffolk doesn't have a status checker. I got an email saying that they received my application but then nothing else until I received my acceptance via snail mail. You can email their admissions office anytime though and they will tell you the status of your application.

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Just received my acceptance packet in the mail! So far its just Suffolk and Widener. Are either that much different?

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Aloha4 wrote:Just received my acceptance packet in the mail! So far its just Suffolk and Widener. Are either that much different?
id go for suffolk (if you want to practice in boston).

wpc1532

New

Post by wpc1532 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:23 pm

Aloha4 wrote:Just received my acceptance packet in the mail! So far its just Suffolk and Widener. Are either that much different?
Yes, this seems to be the consensus among lower-ranked/unranked schools. Focus on a school that's in an area of the country that you want to/wouldn't mind living in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:31 pm

wpc1532 wrote:
Yes, this seems to be the consensus among lower-ranked/unranked schools. Focus on a school that's in an area of the country that you want to/wouldn't mind living in.
If this is the case, then I would probably go with Widener. I live in the Philadelphia area and would want to practice around here or NYC. In all honesty, I don't know much about Boston, and I feel like Suffolk is slightly better than Widener so I am going to think about it. Congrats to all who got in!!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:22 pm

I e-mailed Suffolk yesterday and got a response back today that my application is complete (submitted through LSAC on 01/03). I'm above the 75% on both GPA and LSAT.

sayruss11

New

Post by sayruss11 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 am

Got accepted last week, went complete late November. No word on scholarships though......does that come later?

shoegazing

New

Post by shoegazing » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:21 pm

i got waitlisted.
156/3.4
i thought suffolk is within my reach.
do i have shot at suffolk?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LoveSaltLife

New

Post by LoveSaltLife » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 pm

shoegazing wrote:i got waitlisted.
156/3.4
i thought suffolk is within my reach.
do i have shot at suffolk?

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... AC3771.pdf

Going by the criteria they publish, I'm surprised with your WL. I have a feeling it will work out for you in the end, though.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Gonna up this post, I haven't heard anything and wondering if anyone else had.

wpc1532

New

Post by wpc1532 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:Gonna up this post, I haven't heard anything and wondering if anyone else had.
Hey. I think that you're going to be waiting for a few more weeks, my friend. Not only do they take around a month and a half to get around to a decision but I believe that sometime early in march there's a priority deadline for people that have been admitted to accept or trn down their decision. I'd imagine that once Suffolk passes that date, they'll have more slots open to accept new people.

Best of luck, though!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:32 pm

wpc1532 wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:Gonna up this post, I haven't heard anything and wondering if anyone else had.
Hey. I think that you're going to be waiting for a few more weeks, my friend. Not only do they take around a month and a half to get around to a decision but I believe that sometime early in march there's a priority deadline for people that have been admitted to accept or trn down their decision. I'd imagine that once Suffolk passes that date, they'll have more slots open to accept new people.

Best of luck, though!
I have a 160/3.62 with strong softs...

Shouldn't I be one of the people they admit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wpc1532

New

Post by wpc1532 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
wpc1532 wrote:

Best of luck, though!
I have a 160/3.62 with strong softs...

Shouldn't I be one of the people they admit?
Yeah, that's weird. Idk.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:08 pm

wpc1532 wrote: Yeah, that's weird. Idk.
Maybe my personal statement was a bit too unconventional - I wrote a "why Suffolk", but used find and replace in Word to replace every instance of "Suffolk" with "the Taliban".

Well, I knew it was risky...

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Is it wierd that I was offered no scholarships at all? Im a 163/3.59

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 pm

eberl032 wrote:Is it wierd that I was offered no scholarships at all? Im a 163/3.59
you should contact them... maybe they just figure you will not attend regardless... Ive heard of this happening before...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”