Pitt 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
green22

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby green22 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:43 am

I'm trying to decide between Pitt and Case. I'm in-state for Pitt and I have a partial scholarship at Case. Having already seen the new rankings showing that Case is 11 spots higher, do you feel that there is still a large difference between the schools? People say that Case places better on the east coast (Boston, NYC, DC) and that their faculty are really well-connected and nobody says this about Pitt. I thought maybe I haven't asked the right people at Pitt. Can you shed more light on this?

georgewr11

Postby georgewr11 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm

green22 wrote:I'm trying to decide between Pitt and Case. I'm in-state for Pitt and I have a partial scholarship at Case. Having already seen the new rankings showing that Case is 11 spots higher, do you feel that there is still a large difference between the schools? People say that Case places better on the east coast (Boston, NYC, DC) and that their faculty are really well-connected and nobody says this about Pitt. I thought maybe I haven't asked the right people at Pitt. Can you shed more light on this?

Honestly don't even worry about the rankings. Both schools have outstanding reputations in the legal world and both are good, up and coming law schools. I don't think one is necessarily going to open any more doors than the other. If you do well at either you will be able to get a great job. I don't know much about recent job placement in those cities, but Pitt has excellent faculty, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would say just go with the school you feel comfortable at and can see yourself at for the next 3 years.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:56 pm

georgewr11 wrote:
green22 wrote:I'm trying to decide between Pitt and Case. I'm in-state for Pitt and I have a partial scholarship at Case. Having already seen the new rankings showing that Case is 11 spots higher, do you feel that there is still a large difference between the schools? People say that Case places better on the east coast (Boston, NYC, DC) and that their faculty are really well-connected and nobody says this about Pitt. I thought maybe I haven't asked the right people at Pitt. Can you shed more light on this?

Honestly don't even worry about the rankings. Both schools have outstanding reputations in the legal world and both are good, up and coming law schools. I don't think one is necessarily going to open any more doors than the other. If you do well at either you will be able to get a great job. I don't know much about recent job placement in those cities, but Pitt has excellent faculty, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would say just go with the school you feel comfortable at and can see yourself at for the next 3 years.

+1

keemos

Postby keemos » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 pm

i just got into ohio state so my decision is pending again. I am going to feel pretty bad if I have to withdraw after sending in my deposit

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 pm

keemos wrote:i just got into ohio state so my decision is pending again. I am going to feel pretty bad if I have to withdraw after sending in my deposit

E-mail Meme and see if they will refund it. The worst that can happen is that she says no.

keemos

Postby keemos » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Lol, I actually meant I would feel bad about telling them I wouldn't be going there. They have really taken a personal interest in me and helped me out as much as possible. The $200 is no big thing in the long run

cyberPUNK

Postby cyberPUNK » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Withdrew, although today is the deadline for a deposit.

Colton

Postby Colton » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 pm

First of all, the difference between two second tier schools is non-existent. That doesn't just go for Case and Pitt, that goes for all the schools that always fall in the same 20 school group every single year. Last year I had to decide between Case and Pitt. I chose Pitt obviously. The faculty is very comparable. I would give the edge to Case in the international arena faculty wise. Pitt however, has several all-star professors. In Con-law - Professor Hellman and International Sales of Goods and Contracts in general - Professor Harry Fletchner. Our criminal law professor, David Harris, was on CBS sunday morning last week talking about airport security and my con-law prof, Jules Lobel, argued in front of the supremer court in February.

Case does emphasize NYC more in their recruiting material and at admission events than Pitt does. But, neither school actually places more than 5% +/- in NYC especially ITE. Pitt definitely beats Case in DC - hands down. And, the school is going all out to increase our presence in DC - opening a new full-time alumni and career services office in DC and creating a 3L DC internship program. Both schools are regional, in that the majority of the students will be in either the Cleveland or Pittsburgh area after graduation.

The schools feel very differently. My visits are what clinched it for me. I would strongly recommend that you visit each and determine which is the better personal fit for you, rather than go on either USNWR or the stats that either school puts in front of you.

Edit: At a meeting this afternoon career services told us that we now have 600+ Pitt Law alums currently working in DC
Last edited by Colton on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:07 pm

I will echo the "visit both schools" advice. I have been to both Case and Pitt and they are quite different. When I was at Case I felt like it was ok, but when I was at Pitt I instantly wanted to call this my home.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Is it easy to get state residency and thus pay in-state tuition at Pitt?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm

irish017 wrote:Is it easy to get state residency and thus pay in-state tuition at Pitt?

http://www.bc.pitt.edu/students/tuitionguide.html

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 pm

keemos wrote:Lol, I actually meant I would feel bad about telling them I wouldn't be going there. They have really taken a personal interest in me and helped me out as much as possible. The $200 is no big thing in the long run

I agree. I like their admissions office, too, and I felt bad withdrawing.

Colton

Postby Colton » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:24 pm

irish017 wrote:Is it easy to get state residency and thus pay in-state tuition at Pitt?

It's possible, but every student I have talked to has said the following: Unless you have a spouse who is working full-time in state or you have children that you moved here, you are not going to get it.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Colton wrote:

It's possible, but every student I have talked to has said the following: Unless you have a spouse who is working full-time in state or you have children that you moved here, you are not going to get it.

Also, I heard from current students that if you do get it, you have to work in PA for a set amount of time (I think it varied between 5-10 years). If you don't you pay back the difference.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Colton wrote:

Having gone through the process, I'd say it's not an absolute that you're not going to get it. Some w/o spouse/kids did, some didn't. But everybody I know who brought a spouse got it.
Not sure what the difference was between the single folks who got it and those who didn't. You have to go before a committee, so it may come down to how well you plead your case. Having completed a year of law school by that point, I would hope most people would be pretty good at that part....

I've heard nothing about having to pay back the difference if you move out of state. I'd say that's a false rumor. The committee told me nothing about that.....and since they don't like to grant it, they'd probably advertise that as a way to scare people off.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

reverendt wrote:
Colton wrote:

Having gone through the process, I'd say it's not an absolute that you're not going to get it. Some w/o spouse/kids did, some didn't. But everybody I know who brought a spouse got it.
Not sure what the difference was between the single folks who got it and those who didn't. You have to go before a committee, so it may come down to how well you plead your case. Having completed a year of law school by that point, I would hope most people would be pretty good at that part....

I've heard nothing about having to pay back the difference if you move out of state. I'd say that's a false rumor. The committee told me nothing about that.....and since they don't like to grant it, they'd probably advertise that as a way to scare people off.

That's very possible. They told me it was instituted this year. I'm going to research it anyway, and if they did have that requirement it wouldn't prevent me from applying. I was just relaying what I heard.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:43 pm

OGR3 wrote:That's very possible. They told me it was instituted this year. I'm going to research it anyway, and if they did have that requirement it wouldn't prevent me from applying. I was just relaying what I heard.

Well it could be something that they're thinking of instituting. I would look into it.
But they told me nothing about this in October, so should I move out of state and they try to bill me, they'll be in for the mother of all battles!!!

smartin

Postby smartin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Anyone know if students are allocated space on a school server to back-up files to?

After figuring out COL, debt, and job prospects, I'm at the point of comparing the tiniest details about schools at the top of my list.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:18 pm

smartin wrote:Anyone know if students are allocated space on a school server to back-up files to?

After figuring out COL, debt, and job prospects, I'm at the point of comparing the tiniest details about schools at the top of my list.

Not sure about that, but I know you get 900 pages of campus printing with tuition and fees, and like $10 of credit in the law building. Also, all Lexus Nexus and Westlaw printing is free, and can even be printed on the Barco printers from home.

smartin

Postby smartin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Bedsole wrote:
smartin wrote:Anyone know if students are allocated space on a school server to back-up files to?

Not sure about that, but I know you get 900 pages of campus printing with tuition and fees, and like $10 of credit in the law building. Also, all Lexus Nexus and Westlaw printing is free, and can even be printed on the Barco printers from home.

Yeah, I learned that on my tour.

But networked based ftp-servers are very convenient. I will have to send an email, I guess.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:24 pm

I couldn't find anything regarding storage, but they have a ton of free software for students: --LinkRemoved--

I'd contact the head of the Law School's IT, Matthew Kurpiewski at matthewk@pitt.edu.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:26 pm

I remember hearing something about that when I was in UG, but I don't know anyone that used it.... It's definitely available.

You also get free software, like microsoft office and a virus scan.

And the student health is staffed with doctors from UPMC, which is "one of the top ten hospitals in america". Joba Chamberlain was in town a couple weeks ago to see a doctor at UMPC.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 pm

OGR3 wrote:

I couldn't find anything regarding storage, but they have a ton of free software for students: --LinkRemoved--

I'd contact the head of the Law School's IT, Matthew Kurpiewski at matthewk@pitt.edu.

--LinkRemoved--

you heard it, folks. free operating systems. as someone who builds his own computers, this is sweet.

pkgugu321

Postby pkgugu321 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:33 pm

does doing the certification program give students a better chance of getting jobs or internships during or after school? just wondering!

also.. is it better to live by yourself during law school.. i guess more personal study time but super loneliness and expense are factors.. just wondering again! :)

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:37 pm

My advisor warned against specialty programs. He works for a mid size firm and said that when reviewing applications no one cares that you have that certificate, but what they do care about is what classes you have taken. If you did the certificate program you were concentrated in one area so if you are trying to get a job in another you will look less prepared than those that just did the regular JD.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”