Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Compaq1984

Bronze

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by Compaq1984 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:12 am

Congrats dude! Was that a successful negotiation? Or your financial aid letter?

Thanks... that was my actual FINAID letter but i did send a couple emails prior to receiving it...

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:23 pm

So, according to the "leaked USNews" rankings, Pitt moved up to 67, ahead of PennSt and Temple. tied with 'Nova.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Nevermind, saw the leak. I have a hard time believing that Villanova fell 6 spots back after opening a new building and their strong placement in the top firms. But hey, what do I know.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:35 pm

there are photos in the USNews thread, pitt and nova are 67, temple and psu are 72. Appears legit

g8t13

New

Post by g8t13 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:37 pm

whats the link to the leaked rankings?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:43 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=225

i guess it could be fake, but if it is, I'm fooled.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=225

does look pretty legit... whoever has the time to doctor something like that up has some issues....

Wonder if anyone is withdrawing from PSU/TEMPLE in favor of PITT after the recent "jump"...?
lol... USNEWS = worthless

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:04 pm

If the rankings are true, this would be a disaster for Temple. Glad to be going to Pitt. See you guys next year.

P.S. For those negotiating scholarships, my girlfriend just got 14k for no reason. She was 3.46, 160, but applied very late originally did not receive any money, sent in her deposit, and then just got a call from admissions that they are offering her the dean's scholarship. She never even negotiated! Kinda makes me feel bad now that I am going there at basically sticker (minus the minimal endowment fee).

g8t13

New

Post by g8t13 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Argh!I hope i get into Pitt, so far Im only in at Buffalo and it seems to have fallen off the top 100 which is bumming me out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:24 pm

g8t13 wrote:Argh!I hope i get into Pitt, so far Im only in at Buffalo and it seems to have fallen off the top 100 which is bumming me out.
GL w PITT but dont fret... I'm sure UBUFF is still the same school with the same opportunities as it was 48 hrs ago... rankings are BS

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:47 pm

St. Johns up 25? Syrcause not T3? These don't seem legit.

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Very happy with Pitt's upward movement especially considering many peer schools dropped. I will be at Pitt barring a late acceptance to Ohio State

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Just got in from Pittsburgh. Essentially, I don't have much to say except +1 to BarbellDreams' post. I dropped my seat deposit while I was there, as I got a timely scholarship offer via e-mail on the day of my visit for $8k/yr. Meme made sure I'd gotten it when I was in the office, and the 1L that gave me the tour seemed to love it there.

As for housing, I found a nice spot in Shadyside at the corner of Negley and Centre which is a short bus ride from Barco, has good rent and a guaranteed indoor parking spot. Put down a deposit there, which saved me a trip in the future.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I'll be there in the fall.

P.S. Small +4 in the leaked rankings was nice to see.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:26 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:If the rankings are true, this would be a disaster for Temple. Glad to be going to Pitt. See you guys next year.
Lol? How is a minuscule drop in the rankings a disaster for Temple? They place into a huge market and do amazing at it, this year included (look at their 250 placements). Logic fail, or valuing-the-rankings-too-much fail.

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:52 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=225

does look pretty legit... whoever has the time to doctor something like that up has some issues....

Wonder if anyone is withdrawing from PSU/TEMPLE in favor of PITT after the recent "jump"...?
lol... USNEWS = worthless

It's funny that people are definitely going to do that.

I know rankings aren't that important outside of like T20-30, but if these are true, i am happy about our jump with respect to PA schools.
snowpeach06 wrote:St. Johns up 25? Syrcause not T3? These don't seem legit.
There are a few suspect moves.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Its a disaster for Temple because they go from being outranked by 2 PA to schools to being outranked by 4. I am a bit surprised that Nova didn't go up a bit higher, but I have always believed the schools in PA go like this:

Penn
Pitt/Nova (I think Pitt carries the better name, Nova places better by about 4% in NLJ250.
Temple
Penn State
The rest

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:02 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Its a disaster for Temple because they go from being outranked by 2 PA to schools to being outranked by 4. I am a bit surprised that Nova didn't go up a bit higher, but I have always believed the schools in PA go like this:

Penn
Pitt/Nova (I think Pitt carries the better name, Nova places better by about 4% in NLJ250.
Temple
Penn State
The rest

I don't know. Solid arguments could be made for Pitt, Nova, or Temple. These schools change places every year.

It makes me feel a little warm inside to see pitt taking its turn in the lead, but it means very little.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:10 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Its a disaster for Temple because they go from being outranked by 2 PA to schools to being outranked by 4. I am a bit surprised that Nova didn't go up a bit higher, but I have always believed the schools in PA go like this:

Penn
Temple
Penn State
The rest
Oh man, you need to get a grip. Temple runs Philadelphia, and Pitt didn't even make an appearance on the top 50 NLJ250 firms. Pitt does well in Pittsburgh, but Temple has 8500 practicing alumni in Philly. Temple does better in Philly than Nova and Penn State. These slight alterations to the T2 means absolutely nothing. Do you think an employer is going to be like "LOL TEMPLE FELL, NOT HIRING NO MORE, PZPZPZPZ". No, they're not. The change in the rankings is not a disaster for any of these schools. Next year, it'll probably swap again.

You have to stop caring about the rankings, it really doesn't mean anything. Just because Pitt is now a few spots above Temple doesn't mean that Pitt is going to do anything in Philly, just like Temple didn't do anything in Pittsburgh when it was reserved.

And just so you know, you're comparing apples to oranges. Split the state in half. Penn will place wherever it wants, so ignore them. For the eastern half, its Temple/Nova then PSU. Western half its Pitt then Duq/PSU (not sure of the order because I hate western PA). I'm not trying to be abrasive, but the disaster comment is ludicrous.
Last edited by beach_terror on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:11 pm

woops, double posted... sorry about that.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:02 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Penn
Temple
Penn State
The rest
Oh man, you need to get a grip. Temple runs Philadelphia, and Pitt didn't even make an appearance on the top 50 NLJ250 firms. Pitt does well in Pittsburgh, but Temple has 8500 practicing alumni in Philly. Temple does better in Philly than Nova and Penn State. These slight alterations to the T2 means absolutely nothing. Do you think an employer is going to be like "LOL TEMPLE FELL, NOT HIRING NO MORE, PZPZPZPZ". No, they're not. The change in the rankings is not a disaster for any of these schools. Next year, it'll probably swap again.

You have to stop caring about the rankings, it really doesn't mean anything. Just because Pitt is now a few spots above Temple doesn't mean that Pitt is going to do anything in Philly, just like Temple didn't do anything in Pittsburgh when it was reserved.

And just so you know, you're comparing apples to oranges. Split the state in half. Penn will place wherever it wants, so ignore them. For the eastern half, its Temple/Nova then PSU. Western half its Pitt then Duq/PSU (not sure of the order because I hate western PA). I'm not trying to be abrasive, but the disaster comment is ludicrous.
You're missing the point. I in no way believe rankings mean much outside the t-14 unless the difference is 25 or more spots. With that said, its not the rankings per say, but who you outrank in the state. Disaster may be an overstatement, but to go from being outranked by 2 school to being outranked by 4 in one year cannot make Temple students happy. I do find it interesting that you say Temple, how you said, "dominates" Philly. COnsidering both Nova and Penn place better and Nova outranks Temple in NLJ placement this comment is incorrect. No, no firms will be freaking out and not hiring, but I never said that, you just grossly over-exaggerated my comments and blew them out of proportion. All I am saying is this situation is something I would not be happy with as a Temple student.

cyberPUNK

New

Post by cyberPUNK » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 pm

ugh...these rankings have completely turned my plans on their head. i went from positive i'm going to santa clara to wanting to put a seat deposit at pitt and attending. perhaps the rankings mean nothing, but with pitt at 67 and santa clara hovering at the end of the list at 93, doesn't really inspire confidence. i'm hoping they're fake, but seems pretty unlikely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
You're missing the point. I in no way believe rankings mean much outside the t-14 unless the difference is 25 or more spots. With that said, its not the rankings per say, but who you outrank in the state. Disaster may be an overstatement, but to go from being outranked by 2 school to being outranked by 4 in one year cannot make Temple students happy. I do find it interesting that you say Temple, how you said, "dominates" Philly. COnsidering both Nova and Penn place better and Nova outranks Temple in NLJ placement this comment is incorrect. No, no firms will be freaking out and not hiring, but I never said that, you just grossly over-exaggerated my comments and blew them out of proportion. All I am saying is this situation is something I would not be happy with as a Temple student.
1. http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf. Nova places better in the NLJ250 than both Temple, Pitt, and PSU. I never said Temple does better than Nova in NLJ250, I said they do very well in Philadelphia which isn't represented by just NLJ250 rankings. However, Temple and Nova are clearly better than Pitt and PSU in this regard.

2. 8500 graduates practicing from Temple in the Philadelphia area. Villanova does not have more, if anything, they might be equal (but I doubt it). I never could get a concrete number from them. Penn isn't even in the discussion, as most of their graduates do not stay in Philadelphia, but go to DC/NY/other major markets. If they do stay, they can get whatever they want usually (but there are numerous stories of Temple alumni going with Temple grads over Penn grads).

3. I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. You said it was disastrous that a school fell back some in the rankings and barely got beat out by other regional schools that aren't in the same region. I don't want someone reading your comment and believing that a small drop is disastrous for a school, when it's nothing near that at all. The misinformation on this website from people speculating is ridiculous to begin with.

PS. If you respond to this, please try to tighten up your grammar so I can understand what you're trying to say better. It took a couple reads last time to figure out what you were trying to communicate.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 pm

beach_terror wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
1. http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf. Nova places better in the NLJ250 than both Temple, Pitt, and PSU. I never said Temple does better than Nova in NLJ250, I said they do very well in Philadelphia which isn't represented by just NLJ250 rankings. However, Temple and Nova are clearly better than Pitt and PSU in this regard.

2. 8500 graduates practicing from Temple in the Philadelphia area. Villanova does not have more, if anything, they might be equal (but I doubt it). I never could get a concrete number from them. Penn isn't even in the discussion, as most of their graduates do not stay in Philadelphia, but go to DC/NY/other major markets. If they do stay, they can get whatever they want usually (but there are numerous stories of Temple alumni going with Temple grads over Penn grads).

3. I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. You said it was disastrous that a school fell back some in the rankings and barely got beat out by other regional schools that aren't in the same region. I don't want someone reading your comment and believing that a small drop is disastrous for a school, when it's nothing near that at all. The misinformation on this website from people speculating is ridiculous to begin with.

PS. If you respond to this, please try to tighten up your grammar so I can understand what you're trying to say better. It took a couple reads last time to figure out what you were trying to communicate.
Exactly, what I said and what you're claiming I said are quite different. Thanks for the grammar comment, nothing like a passive aggressive comment while in safe vicinity of your room through a computer screen to show off your arrogance and boost your ego. I'll give it to you if it means that much.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:42 pm

The rankings don't mean shit. They're a rough guide for consumers (prospective students). Outside of law school administrators, nobody in the legal profession cares.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:45 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:If the rankings are true, this would be a disaster for Temple.
Not sure how you're still disputing this point. The grammar comment was not to boost my ego, I'm busy tonight and if this was to continue to back and forth, I'd prefer you just take an extra few seconds to clean up what you say so it's easier to read. I didn't say you were incapable of writing well. I'm not trying to be abrasive, but with the massive number of guests reading the forums, do you really want someone to to take what you say and make a significant decision off it? Specifically, that Temple's fall was a disaster? I'm not trying to be an internet-doucher.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”