Pitt 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Scurredsitless1

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:14 am

Compaq1984 wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:congrats! email meme jeffries about financial aid... its "possible" to get some money I guess... Im sure alot of money will be freed up after april 15th when many people with $$$ will withdraw...

Any idea if $25k/yr at a TTT (Quinnipiac) would be enough leverage to try to negotiate?

my success is still TBD but I worded my letter to FINAID and mentioned other scholarships from TTT...
Something along the lines of "I've been given significant scholarships from some schools in this region that are not quite as highly regarded as PITT... yadda yadda yadda... please give me $$$$!" :twisted:

GL!

Just got my letter... $4k
This wasn't a deciding factor for me bc I was going here anyways but it is a nice little bonus... That $4k unfortunately would have equated to something around $10-15k over 10 years or so I am grateful...

GL everyone...

Congrats dude! Was that a successful negotiation? Or your financial aid letter?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Chillin at the Panera across from Barco currently. Gonna be in town for the next few days looking at places to live and whatnot. Any ideas on what to do or where to go or specific places to check out? Also, anyone know if there's a good way to look for a roommate between now and move in?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Bedsole wrote:Chillin at the Panera across from Barco currently. Gonna be in town for the next few days looking at places to live and whatnot. Any ideas on what to do or where to go or specific places to check out? Also, anyone know if there's a good way to look for a roommate between now and move in?

Go to the Original Hot Dog Shop, it's also across the street.

If you haven't yet, check out the Cathedral of Learning.

I'm pretty sure the school has a central listing for roommates, if you want to find a fellow grad student.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:28 pm

I'd probably prefer a law student tbh

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Bedsole wrote:I'd probably prefer a law student tbh

Try this and specify you want to live with a fellow law student.

--LinkRemoved--

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Bedsole wrote:Chillin at the Panera across from Barco currently. Gonna be in town for the next few days looking at places to live and whatnot. Any ideas on what to do or where to go or specific places to check out? Also, anyone know if there's a good way to look for a roommate between now and move in?

You should go eat at La Feria in Shady Side. It's an amazingly delicious Peruvian place that is also BYOB. It's my favorite place to eat in Pittsburgh. Bring some Yuengling (great PA beer)

TLS007

Postby TLS007 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Bedsole wrote:I'd probably prefer a law student tbh

If you haven't already, you can join the Class of 2013 Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 2386409..1

I know a number of current 1Ls at Pitt who found their roommates through the Class of 2012 group around this time last year.

As far as points of interest, Pamela's is a block south of the Panera and has some good pancakes (the President apparently likes them - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08113/875517-366.stm). Aiello's in Squirrel Hill has some good pizza. The Strip District and the the Duquesne Incline are pretty neat and its usually where I take friends/family when they visit.

If you are visiting Monday and want to sit in on a class, the 1L block schedules are listed here: --LinkRemoved-- (scroll down to the very bottom, there will be 3 PDFs for Spring 2010)

Also for those apartment hunting, do a quick internet search of the management companies. Some of them have horrible reviews.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:29 pm

If you're in the city today, there is an awesome chili festival in south side works. I think it is open until 8. There were 15 different local restraunts competing, and you can try 4 chilis for $5, or 7 for $7. Cheap beer and live music.

If you go, try the number 10 chili. It was awesome. The seafood one was good too. And the one with the cinnamin roll...

--LinkRemoved--

ihopeihope

Postby ihopeihope » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:16 pm

When I go up to visit my parents in Pittsburgh, my husband always wants to go to Fat Heads--huge beer selection on tap and the portions for food are huge. There is a large selection of very creative sandwiches and other tasty items. My husband always gets the artery clogger and I always get the grilled chicken supreme. It's at 1805 East Carson St.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Just curious, random question ... how bad is the hayfever in Pittsburgh ... and in PA in general? Suffering pathetically today in Tejas.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:33 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Just curious, random question ... how bad is the hayfever in Pittsburgh ... and in PA in general? Suffering pathetically today in Tejas.

Bad enough that my wife gets allergies every spring. The pollen count in the past week has been recordbreaking.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:22 pm

Down in NC, the pollen count has been over 3000 in Raleigh and OVER 9000 in Winston Salem (where Wake is)

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:40 pm

9,000??? Southeast FTL ...

In the ATX, it's been over 4,000, and I thought that was bad.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:29 pm

Just got back from my visit, very impressed with everything, I will try and post everything I can in detail for those who have yet to visit or won't be able to before move in:

Oakland/Pitt Campus: Awesome. Seriously, the campus is HUGE. The cathederal of Learning looks like a monument in itself, Fifth and Forbes avenue are two huge streets that run all the way through campus side by side and both have good bars, clubs, and food. There are small shops and eats everywhere, Joe Mama's and Fuel n' Fuddle are amazing (the only I have tried). There are like 4 Pittsburgh bookstores, and I looked pathetic stocking up on Pitt shirts, sweatpants, and sweatshirts. I heard from a student there (haven't seen these myself) that there are two fitness centers on campus and students use both. One of them is located in the building where the basketball team plays and its a huge glass building that looks really nice. Most of the buildings I wanted to go to were closed because it was saturday, but the law building does look a bit old to be honest. The law library looks amazing and I have a feeling like it is a very quiet comfortable place to study. There is a ton of grassy areas, the soldiers historical memorial in the middle of campus looks amazing with two cannons and a field in the middle (you kinds have to see it though, its hard to describe). Oakland itself is actually rather large, as all the Pit buildings make it feel like a small downtown in itself.

Downtown Pittsburgh: Its bigger than I imagined. I am from Chicago so I knew it wasn't going to replicate my downtown in size, but it has a good amount of skyscrapers, businesses, and food shops. PNC park (where the Pirates play) is right across the bridge and looks awesome too. The only downside is there isnt a lot to do downtown, they dont have shopping malls or anything like that. Its more of a business district and after 6 or 7 p.m. it is a ghost town. I heard they are trying to change this but for now it isn;t a huge hangout place, but I really liked it anyway.

Shadyside:Walnut ave. is the main street with all the "attractions" some popular stores like the gap and Bannana Republic, some randoms like sephora, and some trendy local stores on top of local shops make up this street. Negley ave. just across from this (a little bit north) is a market district where you can find giant eagle, whole foods, etc. I honestly was a bit underwhelmed by shadyside, everyone told me this was the best neighborhood to live in, and while the apartments are all very nice and the neighborhood is very green, there isn't a TON to do like everyone says. Maybe I missed something, I admittedly didn't spend a lot of time here.

Squirrel Hill: I rented my apartment here, on Hobart ave. I really like this place. Murray ave. is the heart of the neighborhood and it stretches about 6 or 8 blocks and has hundreds of small shops, interested restaurants, etc. I went to a thai Tapas place hre and it was incredible (try the curry puffs). The eat n' Park is the cheap breakfast place and Pamela's is a good breakfast place right off of Murray on forbes where Obama eats (seriously). Shenley park is right between campus and squirrell hill and its right on the way if I walk to campus. The Bob O'Connor golf course is in the park, along with a HUGE grassy field and some nice bridges ($15 per 9 holes I hear. I am a beginning golfer, but I really do want to play this course a bit during my time here).

I don't kno what else to add. I am from chicago so I am used to big cities, and love them, but Pittsburgh can hold its own against other big cities. Its not going to be Chicago and NY, but it definitely has a good mix of small town with big city feel. If you have any other questions let me know and I will try and answer the best that I can. Good luck to everyone looking for apartments, hope to see all of you at orientation!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:34 am

Thanks for the info dude. I am here til Tues myself. What wa the name of the place you rented? I've been doing some checking here and I'd really like to step it up tomorrow before my tour of Barco at 1.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 am

I had like 6 appointments, 3 of which were with Forbes Management. I rented one on Hobart and Wightman in Squirrel Hill, about 2 blocks from murray and 2 blocks from schenley park. $825 2 bedroom with balcony, dishwasher, and a pretty decent size living/dining combo. Craigslist has tons of places, and also Lobos Management and Forbes management have dozens of apartments if you just call.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks. Gonna be making some calls/visits tomorrow.

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:39 am

After reading that others of you were trying to negotiate scholarship money, I did the same and am happy to report that I was able to secure some additional scholarship money. This makes Pitt a very affordable choice for me, which means that I will likely see many of you next year. For anyone who is in a similar situation as I was, I recommend emailing to request additional money; it can't hurt.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:29 am

Negotiated 8k/yr!!! Dropping my seat deposit today. See you kids in the fall.

keemos

Postby keemos » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 pm

This may come out as a flame but I am humbly asking you all if anyone who is not an URM has received more than $54000 total scholarship money. I briefly looked through LSN and it seems like there is no one above that number who is not an URM. If Pitt wants me enough to give me more money than most people it could sway me to accept their offer

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:01 pm

I spoke with the admissions director who told me their scholarships are never above 14K per year, and the highest usually range from 10 to 12 to 14K.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:06 pm

champ33 wrote:I spoke with the admissions director who told me their scholarships are never above 14K per year, and the highest usually range from 10 to 12 to 14K.

Total cash might include endowments. The only people I know of receiving more than 14K had received public interest endowments and had background rich in public service.

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:00 pm

champ33 wrote:I spoke with the admissions director who told me their scholarships are never above 14K per year, and the highest usually range from 10 to 12 to 14K.

yea thats just not true. I know a few people at Pitt and theres usually at least one person in each class with a full ride (not sure of the exact circumstances though). Also, there was one person on TLS last year, for some reason I think it was roxypirate or something like that who leverage 16k at Richmond and Pitt matched it. I think badwithpsedonyms also leveraged scholarships at Pitt and they gave him 16k/yr but I think he ended up getting admitted to UVA (idk hes on LSN). point of story, they give more than 14k/yr, although it doesn't happen much

keemos

Postby keemos » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:41 pm

pjo wrote:

yea thats just not true. I know a few people at Pitt and theres usually at least one person in each class with a full ride (not sure of the exact circumstances though). Also, there was one person on TLS last year, for some reason I think it was roxypirate or something like that who leverage 16k at Richmond and Pitt matched it. I think badwithpsedonyms also leveraged scholarships at Pitt and they gave him 16k/yr but I think he ended up getting admitted to UVA (idk hes on LSN). point of story, they give more than 14k/yr, although it doesn't happen much

yea I got 18K per year which is why I brought this up in the first place. I used a Seton Hall/Temple scholarship if that helps anyone

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:45 pm

pjo wrote:

Yeah... i didn't necessarily believe it when I was told this... in fact i leveraged up to 16k.. and she emphasized that yeah.. we almost never give above 14.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”