Pitt 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dr. Review

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:I think these are pretty good illustrations of what to expect the difference between choosing the more popular squirrel hill or the "off the beaten path" highland park. Keep in mind, both require a short bus ride to get to campus.

I read this as SHORT BUS ride, rather than short BUS RIDE. If you don't know the difference, it won't be funny to you... but it made me lol.
Last edited by Dr. Review on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Highland Park is a longer bus ride.
Squirrel Hill is a short ride.

Shadyside is nice but it's pricey. That's where most of my class lived 1L year. The next summer many of them moved around the east end in search of cheaper and/or bigger housing.

I would recommend Bloomfield, South Side Flats, Regent Square and Greenfield as good alternatives to the Shadyside/Squirrel Hill options (not that those aren't good neighborhoods). Regent Square and Greenfield give you a lot for you $$$.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:24 pm

I'll be living in Squirrel Hill

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:48 pm

The majority of my apartments that I am seeing will be in Squirrell Hill and the one which I like the most (based on pictures and description but before seeing it is also in Squirrell Hill. Squirrell Hill/Shadyside or Bust :).

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 am

I went to visit earlier this week, and was very impressed. The school's building is nothing spectacular, but is certainly functional. Apparently the student lounge/locker area will be renovated next year, which is good to know. The library is the nicest part of the building, and seemed to have plenty of quiet places to study. The class I sat in on was very quiet, but then again it was civil procedure, so probably not the most exciting of subjects for students.

More than the building, what I really personally loved was the city of Pittsburgh itself. Coming from a much larger city, it was refreshing to walk around quiet neighborhoods that could pass for small towns, but really are in the middle of a good sized city. I did not meet a single person who said a single bad thing about Pittsburgh or Pitt, which may sound obvious but seriously does say a lot about the city and university.

Also very impressive, to me personally anyway, is the Semester in DC program, which allows students to spend a semester living and working in Washington. As someone who wants to work in government, this seems like an open door, and a program in which the law school is seriously investing resources.

I'm still deciding between Pitt and one other school, but this week's visit did a lot in terms of helping that decision along. I strongly suggest that other prospective students visit as well; it's hard to get a good sense of Pittsburgh without actually going there.

WithGrace23

Postby WithGrace23 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:48 am

I've been under review at Pitt since 3/17 and still no word. I have to make seat deposits soon. I hope I hear from them before I give a deposit.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 pm

You applied extremely early and have been in review for only 3 weeks and you want a response? Give them more time, you applied very late and they will likely need to see how many people do not take their acceptances before offering you something unles your numbers are at 75% on both.

keemos

Postby keemos » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:19 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:I went to visit earlier this week, and was very impressed. The school's building is nothing spectacular, but is certainly functional. Apparently the student lounge/locker area will be renovated next year, which is good to know. The library is the nicest part of the building, and seemed to have plenty of quiet places to study. The class I sat in on was very quiet, but then again it was civil procedure, so probably not the most exciting of subjects for students.

More than the building, what I really personally loved was the city of Pittsburgh itself. Coming from a much larger city, it was refreshing to walk around quiet neighborhoods that could pass for small towns, but really are in the middle of a good sized city. I did not meet a single person who said a single bad thing about Pittsburgh or Pitt, which may sound obvious but seriously does say a lot about the city and university.

Also very impressive, to me personally anyway, is the Semester in DC program, which allows students to spend a semester living and working in Washington. As someone who wants to work in government, this seems like an open door, and a program in which the law school is seriously investing resources.

I'm still deciding between Pitt and one other school, but this week's visit did a lot in terms of helping that decision along. I strongly suggest that other prospective students visit as well; it's hard to get a good sense of Pittsburgh without actually going there.

+1 to literally everything from the facilities to loving Pittsburgh to deciding between Pitt and one other school. Were you there on Monday? I was the guy in the pink shirt (difficult to forget a pink shirt)

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:24 pm

keemos wrote:
nyjfanjmk wrote:I went to visit earlier this week, and was very impressed. The school's building is nothing spectacular, but is certainly functional. Apparently the student lounge/locker area will be renovated next year, which is good to know. The library is the nicest part of the building, and seemed to have plenty of quiet places to study. The class I sat in on was very quiet, but then again it was civil procedure, so probably not the most exciting of subjects for students.

+1 to literally everything from the facilities to loving Pittsburgh to deciding between Pitt and one other school. Were you there on Monday? I was the guy in the pink shirt (difficult to forget a pink shirt)

I was and I do remember seeing you; I asked the question about the DC semester during the info session. Good luck in your decision, and to everyone else as well.

keemos

Postby keemos » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:24 pm

The one negative thing I will add is that the tour guide (who was exceptional) didn't seem too enthused about 1L summer prospects. Yeah I remember you too and good luck to you as well

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:34 pm

In via MAIL TODAYYY.
So excited!

159/3.31

edit: any idea if they have any money left, and if so, if I would be crazy to hope for some?

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:52 pm

keemos wrote:The one negative thing I will add is that the tour guide (who was exceptional) didn't seem too enthused about 1L summer prospects. Yeah I remember you too and good luck to you as well

He was probably the best tour guide I've had at a law school. My understanding about 1L summer jobs is that it's difficult everywhere to find a PAYING job, but that finding a job is not a problem.

WithGrace23

Postby WithGrace23 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Bedsole wrote:In via MAIL TODAYYY.
So excited!

159/3.31

edit: any idea if they have any money left, and if so, if I would be crazy to hope for some?

Congrats! I'm hoping to hear today now...

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Bedsole wrote:In via MAIL TODAYYY.
So excited!

159/3.31

congrats! email meme jeffries about financial aid... its "possible" to get some money I guess... Im sure alot of money will be freed up after april 15th when many people with $$$ will withdraw...

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:35 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:
keemos wrote:The one negative thing I will add is that the tour guide (who was exceptional) didn't seem too enthused about 1L summer prospects. Yeah I remember you too and good luck to you as well

He was probably the best tour guide I've had at a law school. My understanding about 1L summer jobs is that it's difficult everywhere to find a PAYING job, but that finding a job is not a problem.

This is correct.
Last summer, very few had paying 1L jobs (the top graders and a few through minority programs).
But everybody who wanted and was on the ball found some kind of legal experience, whether it was doing research for a judge, working at legal aid clinics, etc.
The whole trick is don't wait until April to find something in the hopes that you'll land a paying gig. Come February/March, make sure you're set up with something. Those who waited too long missed all the deadlines.

ladyjane

Postby ladyjane » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Very excited to start in the fall - but back to the apt hunt.

I have a dog and plan on bringing him to Pittsburgh with me the second semester. Does anyone have info on dog friendly neighborhood meaning neighborhoods I could walk a dog at all times of day and night relatively safely or have the possiblity of a yard?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:congrats! email meme jeffries about financial aid... its "possible" to get some money I guess... Im sure alot of money will be freed up after april 15th when many people with $$$ will withdraw...

Any idea if $25k/yr at a TTT (Quinnipiac) would be enough leverage to try to negotiate?

KJ5490

Postby KJ5490 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:congrats! email meme jeffries about financial aid... its "possible" to get some money I guess... Im sure alot of money will be freed up after april 15th when many people with $$$ will withdraw...

Any idea if $25k/yr at a TTT (Quinnipiac) would be enough leverage to try to negotiate?

I doubt it, but I think you should try anyway. The worst they'll do is say no. I was unsuccessful at getting more money out of them but some people have had luck with it. Good luck!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113717

I know you guys are probably a little biased, but if you could weigh in for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

calawbiz

Postby calawbiz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:17 pm

ladyjane wrote:Very excited to start in the fall - but back to the apt hunt.

I have a dog and plan on bringing him to Pittsburgh with me the second semester. Does anyone have info on dog friendly neighborhood meaning neighborhoods I could walk a dog at all times of day and night relatively safely or have the possiblity of a yard?

Frick and Schenley parks are excellent places to walk dogs -- there are definitely people around (also walking dogs, for the most part!) from the early morning through the evening. I haven't been around either much after dark, so I can't speak to conditions then, but most of that area is pretty safe. The parks are easily accessible from the Squirrel Hill neighborhood, which is also very safe though pricier relative to other neighborhoods (i.e. Highland Park, Oakland). There are a lot of duplexes in Squirrel Hill, too, so if you're looking for a two-bedroom, you may have some luck in finding a duplex with a yard (mine has one, for instance). Pittsburgh is a pretty dog-friendly town. Good luck!

irish017

Postby irish017 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Has anyone had success with getting ahold of the admissions office. I've called a ton of different times and different numbers and can't get ahold of anyone.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:13 am

ladyjane wrote:Very excited to start in the fall - but back to the apt hunt.

Check out Regent Square. It's safe, affordable, not too hilly and right next to Frick Park. Everybody seems to have a dog or two. Some of the business on S.Braddock Ave are dog friendly and on nice days everybody sits at the outdoor tables of the restaurants and cafes with their dogs.
And the bus to school/downtown come right up Braddock Ave and get you to school in 15-20 minutes.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:36 am

Bedsole wrote:

my success is still TBD but I worded my letter to FINAID and mentioned other scholarships from TTT...
Something along the lines of "I've been given significant scholarships from some schools in this region that are not quite as highly regarded as PITT... yadda yadda yadda... please give me $$$$!" :twisted:

GL!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:25 pm

I sent out an e-mail today, just now in fact, and hopefully I can get a nibble. I don't need much, just a few thousand a year would seal the deal for me. I'll be in town this weekend, and visiting the school itself Monday.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:33 am

Compaq1984 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

my success is still TBD but I worded my letter to FINAID and mentioned other scholarships from TTT...
Something along the lines of "I've been given significant scholarships from some schools in this region that are not quite as highly regarded as PITT... yadda yadda yadda... please give me $$$$!" :twisted:

GL!

Just got my letter... $4k
This wasn't a deciding factor for me bc I was going here anyways but it is a nice little bonus... That $4k unfortunately would have equated to something around $10-15k over 10 years or so I am grateful...

GL everyone...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”