Pitt 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby hds2388 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:20 am

So I went to visit Pitt yesterday, just on a whim. I've been admitted, and had it narrowed down to Case and Pitt, and was pretty sold on Case, because they gave me money (10k) and Pitt did not, making the schools almost the exact same price. After visiting both, I've decided that I like them both equally, the cities in which they are located included in that. I'd like to try and leverage some money out of pitt if at all possible just to try and make things interesting, and I was wondering if anyone knew a. who I should e-mail with that request and b. what the history of pitt and granting additional cash is.

KJ5490
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby KJ5490 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:25 am

hds2388 wrote:So I went to visit Pitt yesterday, just on a whim. I've been admitted, and had it narrowed down to Case and Pitt, and was pretty sold on Case, because they gave me money (10k) and Pitt did not, making the schools almost the exact same price. After visiting both, I've decided that I like them both equally, the cities in which they are located included in that. I'd like to try and leverage some money out of pitt if at all possible just to try and make things interesting, and I was wondering if anyone knew a. who I should e-mail with that request and b. what the history of pitt and granting additional cash is.


You'll need to email Meme Jeffries (MJeffrie@pitt.edu) to request money. She'll forward your request to the committee but first she will ask for a copy of your award from Case. I personally was not successful in my request. I initially received 8k from Pitt but I asked for an increase and gave them copies of my other scholarship offers. I received 10k from Case, 22k from IU-Indy and 20k from Duquesne. Meme told me they were unable to increase my scholarship, but I think you should still definitely try. The worst they can do is say no, but I hope you have better luck than I did!

hds2388
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby hds2388 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:34 am

KJ5490 wrote:
hds2388 wrote:So I went to visit Pitt yesterday, just on a whim. I've been admitted, and had it narrowed down to Case and Pitt, and was pretty sold on Case, because they gave me money (10k) and Pitt did not, making the schools almost the exact same price. After visiting both, I've decided that I like them both equally, the cities in which they are located included in that. I'd like to try and leverage some money out of pitt if at all possible just to try and make things interesting, and I was wondering if anyone knew a. who I should e-mail with that request and b. what the history of pitt and granting additional cash is.


You'll need to email Meme Jeffries (MJeffrie@pitt.edu) to request money. She'll forward your request to the committee but first she will ask for a copy of your award from Case. I personally was not successful in my request. I initially received 8k from Pitt but I asked for an increase and gave them copies of my other scholarship offers. I received 10k from Case, 22k from IU-Indy and 20k from Duquesne. Meme told me they were unable to increase my scholarship, but I think you should still definitely try. The worst they can do is say no, but I hope you have better luck than I did!



Extremely helpful. thank you.

law_lover
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby law_lover » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 am

b.j. wrote:
law_lover wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Finally got through, asked about my file and they said "Well, we've just made a decision and I think it's one you'll be very happy with" so now I'm just waiting for an e-mail scan of my decision letter.


Congrats! I got a similar response after I called (left a message and they returned my call). I was told that the decision was very positive. I am now just waiting on the actual decision.


Was that your first time calling? If not, I think I might want to try calling again tomorrow to see if a decision has been made and what the response might be.


It was the first time I spoke with someone.

Mr.P88
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Mr.P88 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:50 am

hds2388 wrote:So I went to visit Pitt yesterday, just on a whim. I've been admitted, and had it narrowed down to Case and Pitt, and was pretty sold on Case, because they gave me money (10k) and Pitt did not, making the schools almost the exact same price. After visiting both, I've decided that I like them both equally, the cities in which they are located included in that. I'd like to try and leverage some money out of pitt if at all possible just to try and make things interesting, and I was wondering if anyone knew a. who I should e-mail with that request and b. what the history of pitt and granting additional cash is.


You'll need to email Meme Jeffries (MJeffrie@pitt.edu) to request money. She'll forward your request to the committee but first she will ask for a copy of your award from Case. I personally was not successful in my request. I initially received 8k from Pitt but I asked for an increase and gave them copies of my other scholarship offers. I received 10k from Case, 22k from IU-Indy and 20k from Duquesne. Meme told me they were unable to increase my scholarship, but I think you should still definitely try. The worst they can do is say no, but I hope you have better luck than I did!


I encourage you to try this but from my recent experience I am not too impressed with Meme. About a month ago I applied for scholarship reconsideration and was told that I would be told the decision as soon as it had been rendered. My financial situation would not allow me to attend if I did not recieve an increase but I really would have loved to attend. On Monday, I emailed Meme to follow up a little bit but she never emailed me back. Finally on Wednesday(a day before deposits were due) I called the office like 4 times and finally got Charmaine McCall who checked my file and said "Oh we actually made the decision 3 weeks ago and we unfortunatly could not increase your scholarship, its strange that no one told you." While I would have withdrawn had I recieved this information earlier, I felt like this was pretty damn inconsiderate to both myself, who believed until that point that a decision had not been made, and to waitlist applicants who are waiting for the seat. I let them know that I would have appreciated the information earlier in my withdraw and Charmaine replied with a furious email stating how the office was not responsible.

I'm not discouraging you from trying, but know that unlike every admissions office that I made this request to Pitt was the only office to not let me know in a considerate manner. If I were you I would follow up very closely (especially if you have looming deadlines) after you send your request because quite honestly I believe Meme to be a fairly irresponsible person for the events that occured.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:53 am

I can't speak for everyone's experience, and I'm not casting aspersions on the above poster, because I don't know their situation; but in Meme's defense, I received a favorable response pretty quickly. I've found the staff at Pitt to be nothing but helpful to me, FWIW.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:55 am

I originally received $0 and they upped me $8k. It helped that my LSAT increased and I wasn't just leveraging $ vs. $.

Mr.P88
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Mr.P88 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 pm

For the record, I am not upset that they did not increase me, I am dissapointed that they could not show the courtesy to inform me in a timely manner. Just as they would expect a student who does not wish to attend to inform them when their final decision was made, I would expect a similar respect to be displayed by an admissions office in regard to a scholarship request in which a final decision was made. I would have felt it was unprofessional regardless of wheather I had recieved more money or not based on the fact that the office was not taking my consideration into account and not letting me know so I could update my plans accordingly.

KJ5490
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby KJ5490 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Mr.P88 wrote:For the record, I am not upset that they did not increase me, I am dissapointed that they could not show the courtesy to inform me in a timely manner. Just as they would expect a student who does not wish to attend to inform them when their final decision was made, I would expect a similar respect to be displayed by an admissions office in regard to a scholarship request in which a final decision was made. I would have felt it was unprofessional regardless of wheather I had recieved more money or not based on the fact that the office was not taking my consideration into account and not letting me know so I could update my plans accordingly.


I can see why you would be upset, the whole process is frusterating enough without communication issues. Meme responded promptly to all of my emails and I was informed about the decision of my request within a few days. Overall I have found their office to be helpful, but stumbles do happen. I have never called Pitt for anything, but I have heard that they can be difficult to get a hold of sometimes.

b.j.
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby b.j. » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:48 pm

I received a wait list e-mail while at work today. While I would liked to have been admitted outright, being wait listed at least gives a (small?) shot at being admitted. I will have to put down a deposit at another school regardless, but if in the end I get into a better one that isn't as close to home as the one I am looking towards now, it won't make a difference. And hopefully, this is an indication that the rest of the schools that I have yet to hear from won't be too harsh.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 am

I am going to visit next weekend, put down a deposit for an apartment, and see the city. Can't wait.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby keemos » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:21 pm

sitting in my hotel a few minutes from campus. First impressions of the area are very positive. I came in driving through the pittsburgh tunnel. You really get an amazing view of the city when you come out of the tunnel. I was really blown away. Going to church tonight and probably the zoo tomorrow. I will take pictures.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby reverendt » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:30 pm

keemos wrote:sitting in my hotel a few minutes from campus. First impressions of the area are very positive. I came in driving through the pittsburgh tunnel. You really get an amazing view of the city when you come out of the tunnel. I was really blown away. Going to church tonight and probably the zoo tomorrow. I will take pictures.


That's the coolest "entrance" of any city I've ever experienced!
If you want a decent bar pie and a good beer selection check out Fuel & Fuddle on Oakland Ave just off of Forbes.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby keemos » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:33 pm

reverendt wrote:
keemos wrote:sitting in my hotel a few minutes from campus. First impressions of the area are very positive. I came in driving through the pittsburgh tunnel. You really get an amazing view of the city when you come out of the tunnel. I was really blown away. Going to church tonight and probably the zoo tomorrow. I will take pictures.


That's the coolest "entrance" of any city I've ever experienced!
If you want a decent bar pie and a good beer selection check out Fuel & Fuddle on Oakland Ave just off of Forbes.



Yeah it was definitely the coolest I have ever seen too. My parents are actually here with me because of Easter and all so Idk if they will want to go to a bar but thanks...

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm on the scholarship waitlist. I've never even heard of a scholarship waitlist. But, without money, I won't be attending Pitt.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby keemos » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Successfully negotiated a scholarship increase. About 33 percent increase. Loved the city an the school itself wasn't too bad probably going to Pitt unless wake gives me money
Last edited by keemos on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:01 am

someone on the wake board said that wake was all out of $$ now

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby keemos » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:43 am

Bedsole wrote:someone on the wake board said that wake was all out of $$ now



There were until today or so. They are probably going to give out more money end of this week.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Got the hotel booked, car rented, and apartment viewings scheduled! This weekend is going to be madness!

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby keemos » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Got the hotel booked, car rented, and apartment viewings scheduled! This weekend is going to be madness!



Let us know about your apartment searches. I heard Shadyside was a good place to live.

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 pm

Apartment searching should be fun in that area. There is really a TON of places available, all kinds and quality. Throughout this thread there is a lot of good information about apartments.

I live in the city now and I'm not going to move. But if I were coming from out of town, I would be looking in Lawrenceville and Highland Park. South Side, Shadyside and Squirrelhill are also popular places, full of young people, and with a short commute to campus. All these neighborhoods have a different feel, and when you check them out, see which feels like home.

Don't be afraid to live outside of the popular places though, there are tons of cool little neighborhoods around.

keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby keemos » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Anyone know if any of these places offer private parking spots. If I go to Pitt I am going to bring a car but not planning on using it on a daily basis so I want to keep it somewhere safe and available.

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 pm

keemos wrote:Anyone know if any of these places offer private parking spots. If I go to Pitt I am going to bring a car but not planning on using it on a daily basis so I want to keep it somewhere safe and available.


Most places will have at least permit, on-street parking for $30 a year. Like any city, there are risks, but most neighborhoods you should be pretty safe.

Other than shadyside and squirrelhill (and oakland), it shouldn't be tough to find a place with a reserved parking spot

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:59 pm

I have a friend who went to Pitt for undergrad and he said shadyside and squirrell hill are where you wanna live if youre a grad student. He also said Oakland is not a very safe area and he has had multiple breakins (thats where he lives right on campus).

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:13 pm

I think these are pretty good illustrations of what to expect the difference between choosing the more popular squirrel hill or the "off the beaten path" highland park. Keep in mind, both require a short bus ride to get to campus.

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

I'm not saying either of these are beautiful, awesome choices. In fact, it was just a momentary craigslist search. You just get a lot more bang for your buck off the beaten path.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: henryyou and 12 guests