Pitt 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Compaq1984

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Compaq1984 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:35 pm

jack duluoz wrote:
keg411 wrote:All that said -- none of the 3L's nor the 2L on the panel had anything lined up at all. Only the 1L's had jobs (and not even all of them). This worried me. I mean, maybe they weren't the top students (which is definitely possible), but they all seemed extremely frustrated. It was pretty dishartening after a great ASD (I mean, even the DePaul kids had stuff lined up). But for me, my scholarship isn't enough and I can't get in-state. If Pitt were my state school, I'd have a much stronger likelikhood of going there.

I agree that it was disheartening. However, i think it is easy to forget we are in the midst of the worst recession since the depression, and i'm not sure if the current situation is really representative of anything we'll be experiencing 5+ years into our careers. Right now all schools outside of the T14 seem to be hurting--even then i would imagine the bottom half of all classes outside of HYS are unemployed OR the T14 name gets them something, but then most of those kids probably received little to no scholarships and are staring at a huge pile of debt and pretty much needed biglaw. I think we need to be cautious of our debt and things will work itself out. I guess you also need to weigh your opportunity costs. As a poli sci major, i can take a shot at LS and come out unemployed or just definitely be unemployed right now. lol.

Also (i'm not sure why they didnt) but Pitt could have found three 1Ls, two 2Ls, and two 3Ls that all had something lined up. It's hard to say what's really going on with employment without polling everyone in attendance, let alone making a cross school comparison.

lol, just felt like typing. not my complete thoughts on the situations, but i like to think i made at least one good point. :mrgreen:

I def agree.. Pitt couldve just rolled out 8 students that are overachieving and have great jobs/opps lined up...this can be done at any school.. However, as discussed before, these students did not seem like anything special... Likely, they had decent grades but they also werent involved in anything unique... such as cert programs, dual degrees, externships, etc... They were prob just a bunch of students that volunteered for one reason or the other...
Lol... in reality, you cannot judge the job prospects of an entire school (600+ students) based on a sample size of 8 seemingly random students...

The same logic works both ways as well.. The 3L I spoke with in the morning and my tour guide both had very interesting prospects lined up (extern in DC and job at mid-large firm)... However, it would be ignorant of me to assume EVERY student is doing the same as these 2 students...

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:38 pm

Bedsole wrote:Mail [strike]idiot[/strike] man delivered my mail to the wrong box today, and I got theirs. They aren't home. I work 3pm-11:30pm. I may kill someone.

u may have to update your charcter/fitness answers in that case...
i advise against it...lol
but... an anonymous call to your local post office complaining about ur mailman is not unreasonable... f him/her!

GL!

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:41 pm

FunkyJD wrote:I'm not without bias, but I feel that if you're not wedded to biglaw, and if you prefer a mid-sized city with a relatively low cost of living, there's no reason to not consider the University of Pittsburgh if you're interested in studying and practicing law in the Mid-Atlantic. I'm not glossing over the concerns about career prospects; but ITE, if 1Ls, 2Ls, and 3Ls at T14s are having placement issues, it's going to be tough to find a Tier 2 school that's humming along placement-wise. (Texas is suffering less ITE ... maybe UH is an exception, but I am speculating.)

Pick the best school you can get into in your preferred market, subject to debt constraints and career goals.

+1 (logic)

virginiaplain

Postby virginiaplain » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Has everyone received their financial aid email? I still don't have mine.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:32 pm

virginiaplain wrote:Has everyone received their financial aid email? I still don't have mine.

i have not received mine yet...

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:05 pm

I received mine today.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:34 am

Withdrew :(. Even with the small scholarship offer the OOS price was just too much for me. I liked Pitt a lot too. Good luck to everyone who is attending!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:50 am

Finally got through, asked about my file and they said "Well, we've just made a decision and I think it's one you'll be very happy with" so now I'm just waiting for an e-mail scan of my decision letter.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Finally got through, asked about my file and they said "Well, we've just made a decision and I think it's one you'll be very happy with" so now I'm just waiting for an e-mail scan of my decision letter.

Haha, that's great news. So what did you actually say to get that out of them?

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Finally got through, asked about my file and they said "Well, we've just made a decision and I think it's one you'll be very happy with" so now I'm just waiting for an e-mail scan of my decision letter.

Congrats! Is Pitt your top choice?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:55 am

scruffs mcguff wrote:

Haha, that's great news. So what did you actually say to get that out of them?

Just that my file has been in review for months and I was really curios and deposit deadlines were looming, so I need to make plans to tour schools, ect.

As to the top choice thing: no, it isn't. But, I literally have no idea where I want to go, so I'm considering everything. Right now I'm still considering Case (even though at the beginning I was deadset against coming here - since i'm an undergrad), SUNY Buffalo (cheap!), Temple and American if I get off the wait list.

g8t13

Postby g8t13 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 am

Congratulations! I wish I could call but I am unfortunately out of the country and am obsessively checking this forum to figure out when I might get a letter.

Mr.P88

Postby Mr.P88 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 pm

Think they would honor an extension at this point in the game?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:54 pm

g8t13 wrote:

Congratulations! I wish I could call but I am unfortunately out of the country and am obsessively checking this forum to figure out when I might get a letter.

Get skype. Calls abroad are like 2 cents a minute. All you do is like, put $10 on there, and it'll last you forever.

Mr.P88

Postby Mr.P88 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Withdrawing, called today about my scholarship and someone said that it should have been decided at this point. She said that Meme was out of the office and that I didn't recieve an increase (thanks for letting me know Meme). Way too much money for OOS tuition and not highly regarded enough to pay that kind of money.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:29 pm

keg411 wrote:Withdrew :(. Even with the small scholarship offer the OOS price was just too much for me. I liked Pitt a lot too. Good luck to everyone who is attending!

Sorry to hear, keg. :( ...... Where do your options stand now; which schools are you choosing from?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:49 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
keg411 wrote:Withdrew :(. Even with the small scholarship offer the OOS price was just too much for me. I liked Pitt a lot too. Good luck to everyone who is attending!

Sorry to hear, keg. :( ...... Where do your options stand now; which schools are you choosing from?

Rutgers(N) and Rutgers(C). In-state tuition and super low debt FTW (unless SMU shows me <3 or UGA pulls me off the WL).

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Just wanted to confirm this but did anyone else receive an email from Admissions in the last 24-48 hrs...
Apparently, (according to admission dept.) Google accepted the bid to do the fiber-optics (or whatever) throughout Pittsburgh AND as part of this, they are going to be purchasing new laptops for all incoming students at PITT... INCLUDING LAW STUDENTS!!!
If someone can confirm this, it would be awesome!
:shock:

keemos

Postby keemos » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:Just wanted to confirm this but did anyone else receive an email from Admissions in the last 24-48 hrs...
Apparently, (according to admission dept.) Google accepted the bid to do the fiber-optics (or whatever) throughout Pittsburgh AND as part of this, they are going to be purchasing new laptops for all incoming students at PITT... INCLUDING LAW STUDENTS!!!

Wow, this would make me really happy because I need a new laptop

georgewr11

Postby georgewr11 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:54 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:Just wanted to confirm this but did anyone else receive an email from Admissions in the last 24-48 hrs...

Haha, you could at least put a little more effort into an April Fool's joke and make it believable!

keemos

Postby keemos » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:59 pm

georgewr11 wrote:

Haha, you could at least put a little more effort into an April Fool's joke and make it believable!

Damn. I fell for it. It has been awhile since someone has gotten me. It was believable because Google and Pittsburgh are working together. Damn. I'm embarassed

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:31 pm

georgewr11 wrote:

I could have but I didnt want to be something that people would really be bummed about (ie scholarships etc..)
Ironically enough, I am actually in the market for a laptop too so it would have been cool..
oh well..

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:40 am

First, congratulations.

Second, how long were you in review for? I've been in review for about five weeks now, which isn't a long time at all, but I want to take it as a good sign. After all, considering that similar schools, like Richmond and Villanova, have reviewed and rejected me, why wouldn't Pitt also reject me as quickly if it wanted to?

When I called the admissions office earlier this week and spoke to the woman who never answers my e-mails (not that I mentioned that, of course), she said I was still under review. My paranoid side says she was lying and knows I will be rejected, but her tone didn't strike me as revealing she was trying to hide something. So, to be rather literal, I guess I am still in fact under review.

law_lover

Postby law_lover » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:22 am

Congrats! I got a similar response after I called (left a message and they returned my call). I was told that the decision was very positive. I am now just waiting on the actual decision.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 am

law_lover wrote:

Congrats! I got a similar response after I called (left a message and they returned my call). I was told that the decision was very positive. I am now just waiting on the actual decision.

Was that your first time calling? If not, I think I might want to try calling again tomorrow to see if a decision has been made and what the response might be.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”