Pitt 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Compaq1984

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:28 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:
ihopeihope wrote:In via snail mail (small envelope) today!!!!! oos 159/3.57. I called on Tuesday to check on my status and she put a note in my file (admissions met on Wed). Good luck everyone--I suggest calling if you are still interested.

Congrats to you and GL to those still waiting...

I just got done with ASD and I'm now committed...
I was very impressed with everything... Student speakers were great; Alumni speakers were great; Faculty speakers were great; I'm sold...
Most of all, I liked that they didnt try to sugarcoat everything... Everyone was very up front and honest about everything...

See you next Fall!

(time to find some bars...)

I thought the student panel was unimpressive. But everything was great, I'm happy with my decision to attend.

I agree but atleast they were honest... They could have just rolled out 8 students w/ great jobs etc etc... these were just "normal" students... my one-on-one's with a couple of the students I talked to were much more informative...

stayway

Postby stayway » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:30 pm

what kind of stuff did they say?

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:39 pm

nooyyllib wrote:what kind of stuff did they say?

Lots...

info about 1L, internships, jobs, neighborhoods, professors, etc...

I might be able to help with specific questions but it was a lot to digest... I talked to a 3L for the first hour or so during breakfast and they had a good job lined up but a couple on the panel did not...
Like anywhere, the legal market is tough ITE...

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:42 pm

i swear someone on here mentioned working with a railroad company? i cant find the post anymore.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:
ihopeihope wrote:In via snail mail (small envelope) today!!!!! oos 159/3.57. I called on Tuesday to check on my status and she put a note in my file (admissions met on Wed). Good luck everyone--I suggest calling if you are still interested.

I was very impressed with everything... Student speakers were great; Alumni speakers were great; Faculty speakers were great; I'm sold...
Most of all, I liked that they didnt try to sugarcoat everything... Everyone was very up front and honest about everything...

See you next Fall!

I thought the student panel was unimpressive. But everything was great, I'm happy with my decision to attend.

I agree but atleast they were honest... They could have just rolled out 8 students w/ great jobs etc etc... these were just "normal" students... my one-on-one's with a couple of the students I talked to were much more informative...

It wasn't so much that they didn't have jobs, but none of them were involved with any of the duel degree programs, certificate programs or anything that made the school unique. I thought it looked like a group that just wanted a study break. I talked to students in the morning that seemed to have a lot more going for them the the folks who spoke on the panel.

Nothing against those kids, they just didn't highlight any of the features the school advertises.

I wonder if I met any of you folks today, I talked to a lot of people.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:

See you next Fall!

It wasn't so much that they didn't have jobs, but none of them were involved with any of the duel degree programs, certificate programs or anything that made the school unique. I thought it looked like a group that just wanted a study break. I talked to students in the morning that seemed to have a lot more going for them the the folks who spoke on the panel.

Nothing against those kids, they just didn't highlight any of the features the school advertises.

I wonder if I met any of you folks today, I talked to a lot of people.[/quote]

lol... i guess so when you look at it like that... Im just being very uncritical...
that would have made sense though...
In hindsight, the 3L from the morning was much more involved and my tour guide was actually doing the DC externship next semester (which sounds really cool...)

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:02 pm

it seemed like a lot of ppl were involved with things in DC.

i really liked the accessibility of the faculty and the conscious effort pitt made to allow their students to build relationships with their professors.

I mean, 9am, i was bs'ing with a yale jd/professor over a chocolate chip croissant.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:02 pm

I guess there are 2 schools of thought for how to round up a panel:

1) They could bring in average students, showing what most people will experience
2) They could bring in students they show off the potential of the school

there are certainly pros and cons of both. Clearly, they chose option 1

smartin

Postby smartin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:10 pm

In today via small envelope.

161/3.2+, 3yrs WE, OOS (grew-up & went to college in PA, 'rents still live there, so I have state ties if that counts for anything). Went complete in Mid-January.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 pm

smartin wrote:In today via small envelope.

161/3.2+, 3yrs WE, OOS (grew-up & went to college in PA, 'rents still live there, so I have state ties if that counts for anything). Went complete in Mid-January.

Congrats!!! Do you plan on attending?

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Good for you!

I wish I could say that I might be joining you, but I haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks. I got the e-mail that my application was under review, and then got one response about how I would be notified, but each of the two times I've politely inquired about my status, nobody responded. I'm not saying that they took an extra day; I mean that they have been, as far as I can tell, ignoring me. Or at least the woman that I sent the e-mails to didn't respond, for whatever reason. Maybe I shouldn't have sent them to her, but she was the one who was sending stuff to me, so I figured I'd just use her address.

I kind of want to call, but I am not sure if they would be in tomorrow or Sunday, and I will be out all day and won't get home until late at night. Besides, I am not sure what I'd say. I did mention that Pitt was one of my top choices, which it is, because that seems to be helping other people here.

Perhaps the notion that each day I don't hear anything is just another day I am being considered. After all, if they didn't want me, wouldn't they just tell me as soon as possible? Still, I'd like to know.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:15 pm

+1
Double congrats for hanging in so long...

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Having a real hard time deciding between Pitt and Penn State. With scholarships, they are about the same cost. I liked both schools and Pitt's ASD was cool today. Decisions decisions....

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:14 pm

pantherfan wrote:Having a real hard time deciding between Pitt and Penn State. With scholarships, they are about the same cost. I liked both schools and Pitt's ASD was cool today. Decisions decisions....

Personally, I think there is a huge advantage to going to a school in a city. But I'm clearly biased.

Mr.P88

Postby Mr.P88 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Honestly, from what I hear both are fairly regional with Penn State trumping Pitt in carrying power outside Penn and Pitt obviously dominating the Pitt market. Penn State is more expensive but with the scholarships I have recieved from both schools it works out to be slighlty cheaper. In my mind its more about where you want to practice as well as a few subjective factors (what you think of the campus, city, etc).

Personally, I am making the same decision with the addition of considering a full ride from MSU. Last weekend, I visited both schools and here is my opinion: University Park has a beautiful new building and more of the college town and campus feel, very similar to where I did my UG (MSU). I didn't think too much of Pitt's law building but the rest of the campus was ok and the city is cool.

It's tough to say but out of the two I think I'd pick Pitt just because of the opportunities the City can provide. I just didn't realize how stingy these schools were with scholarships before applying (especially Pitt who last year offered much more according to LSN). By going to MSU, I think I could save about 50,000 and stay close to home but I know it doesn't provide as many opportunities, but I'd be comfortable in East Lansing for 3 years. So out of the three right now I'm leaning to MSU but that is if Pitt doesn't make a substantial increase in my scholarship (which has been in reconsideration for like a month now). I just can't justify the additional costs that are required by either one of these schools.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:26 pm

I agree about the student panel being underwhelming (they didn't seem particularly interesting; but my sister said that the school doesn't pick them; they're usually just Student Gov't people; at least it's that way at her school). The alumni were very impressive (with two doing BigLaw at Reed Smith). Also love, love, loved the prof I got to speak with at lunch (she was just really cool and down to earth). Honestly, I really really loved the school and Pitt was really nice in matching my RU-N scholarship, but I still can't justify the cost over RU-C or RU-N at this point. 95k for Pitt when I could spend maybe 50k for all three years at one of the two state schools for me just doesn't make sense financially.

If I was a PA resident (or didn't have a cheaper option at a similar rank) though, I would definitely go.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:08 am

Mr.P88 wrote:Honestly, from what I hear both are fairly regional with Penn State trumping Pitt in carrying power outside Penn and Pitt obviously dominating the Pitt market. Penn State is more expensive but with the scholarships I have recieved from both schools it works out to be slighlty cheaper. In my mind its more about where you want to practice as well as a few subjective factors (what you think of the campus, city, etc).

Personally, I am making the same decision with the addition of considering a full ride from MSU. Last weekend, I visited both schools and here is my opinion: University Park has a beautiful new building and more of the college town and campus feel, very similar to where I did my UG (MSU). I didn't think too much of Pitt's law building but the rest of the campus was ok and the city is cool.

It's tough to say but out of the two I think I'd pick Pitt just because of the opportunities the City can provide. I just didn't realize how stingy these schools were with scholarships before applying (especially Pitt who last year offered much more according to LSN). By going to MSU, I think I could save about 50,000 and stay close to home but I know it doesn't provide as many opportunities, but I'd be comfortable in East Lansing for 3 years. So out of the three right now I'm leaning to MSU but that is if Pitt doesn't make a substantial increase in my scholarship (which has been in reconsideration for like a month now). I just can't justify the additional costs that are required by either one of these schools.

FWIW... I am fairly biased against PSU and have been since the beginning.... BUT... take into consideration that PSU was not very highly regarded (i know this doesnt mean everything but im just putting it in perspective) according to USNEWS as of just about 3-4 years ago (they were TTT).... they have done what a school needs to do in terms of jumping up the rankings; new buildings, stricter admission standards, etc... but, regardless of what anyone claims, they cannot be realistically compared to TEMPLE, NOVA, RU, or PITT in terms of job opportunities... this is the reality... if you dont believe me, spend some time and search the rosters at NALP and some midsize firms... PSU lags behind quite significantly..

again this is just my opinion and of course its going to sound bitter/spiteful but i think people are better off in philly, pitt, or nj rather than State College.... the "moral" of the story is that you shouldnt trust rankings b/c you may end up doing "cow law" in state college...

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Unless the name of the school is Cornell or Texas, my strong bias is that it's too much of a risk to attend a school that's not directly proximate to a decent-sized legal market, regardless of rankings (assuming that the schools in question are relatively close in rank, so that you aren't being asked to choose between, say, Baylor in Waco and Texas Southern in Houston).

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:22 pm

The thing is if I head to PSU, I'm heading to the Carlisle campus with its close proximity to Harrisburg, and so there is an abundance of summer opportunity there. So, the city argument is valid, but it is partially offset since Pittsburgh obviously has more, but Harrisburg has some

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:FWIW... I am fairly biased against PSU and have been since the beginning.... BUT... take into consideration that PSU was not very highly regarded (i know this doesnt mean everything but im just putting it in perspective) according to USNEWS as of just about 3-4 years ago (they were TTT).... they have done what a school needs to do in terms of jumping up the rankings; new buildings, stricter admission standards, etc... but, regardless of what anyone claims, they cannot be realistically compared to TEMPLE, NOVA, RU, or PITT in terms of job opportunities... this is the reality... if you dont believe me, spend some time and search the rosters at NALP and some midsize firms... PSU lags behind quite significantly..

again this is just my opinion and of course its going to sound bitter/spiteful but i think people are better off in philly, pitt, or nj rather than State College.... the "moral" of the story is that you shouldnt trust rankings b/c you may end up doing "cow law" in state college...

+1000

fs_tills

Postby fs_tills » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:02 pm

Mr.P88 wrote:Does anyone know about the endowments? From the acceptance letter, they looked to be pretty promising. After a glance at their website I am a bit doubtful as a lot are for public interest and PA residents. Has anyone heard about these?

Yeah, I've been wondering about endowments too. (Non-PA resident, btw.)

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:37 pm

Any current or recent former Pitt Law students have experience as a teaching assistant? Care to describe what the experience entailed, and what kind of time commitment was necessary?

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

pantherfan wrote:The thing is if I head to PSU, I'm heading to the Carlisle campus with its close proximity to Harrisburg, and so there is an abundance of summer opportunity there. So, the city argument is valid, but it is partially offset since Pittsburgh obviously has more, but Harrisburg has some

In that case, you are def right... They basically own Harrisburg and it def has alot of government opportunities for summer work, etc...

gretchygretch84

Postby gretchygretch84 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:12 am

I'm accepted and this was always the plan... return to PGH where all my friends are/where I never should have left (I did my UG @ here and LOVED it), but man I don't know what to do... my dad is in the hospital so I'm stuck holding down the fort. I got rejected from PT at the state school I was gunning for after this happened (which, seriously, WTF I got into comparable out of state schools full time w/ $$) and in at the only other in state school which is a fucking expensive TTT pt w/ $$ (if I'm staying in state I'm working ft... I have a pretty decent job & that'll hopefully defray some of the costs), but it's still going to cost me about the same (ok, I'm being dramatic... slightly less) over four years compared to Pitt in three (even if I don't wind up getting any $$.)

I WANT to go to Pitt, not just b/c it's a better school but b/c I know PGH is a better place for me, but I don't feel like I can right now b/c of my dad. Which sucks. I know I have until April 15 to decide, but man I want to scream.

Honestly, I don't really want to go to the TTT even for a year and xfer b/c it's a far drive to make 3 or 4 nights a week and I was underwhelmed by their ASD (seriously, the tour guide ACTUALLY said "oh yeah, if you aren't in the top third and you lose your scholarship, that's okay!!" Uhm, yeah buddy, no) and there is no guarantee of admission next fall. The state school I got rejected from was the perfect middle ground... decent rep, in state tuition, right by my office, able to be home for my parents... but now I don't know what to do.

PS. for those looking for bars close by campus... hamilton's is right across the street, peter's is up the road and garage door is around the corner. They also have higher class fare at fuel and fuddle (and a beer club card). There's also south side, which you can get to by hopping the 54C and stopping on carson... there are a SHITLOAD of bars there. Sigh. I miss pgh.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:16 am

gretchy, talk to Pitt and see if you can defer for a year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”