Pitt 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Compaq1984

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Compaq1984 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:05 pm

keemos wrote:Received my acceptance today in the mail. Dean's scholarship 14,000 per year. I am actually going to drive 6 hours tomorrow to visit the school because I have a free day.

congrats!

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:18 pm

nooyyllib wrote:jack, are you going to pitt?

Yes, first seat deposit is in.

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:47 pm

jack duluoz wrote:

do you know when pitt will hand out their finaid info?

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:04 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
jack duluoz wrote:

do you know when pitt will hand out their finaid info?

No, I dont. I know they wanted FAFSAs completed by march 1st.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:43 pm

does anyone know if pitt's deposit on april 1st is binding?

Colton

Postby Colton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:02 pm

nooyyllib wrote:with my visit set next weekend i have a few questions about Pitt law

1. How competitive are students?

2. How are the professors? Are they easily accessible outside of class? Are they "evil"?

3. Do they tend to throw curveballs on the exams?

4. How is the curve?

5. Any specifics on job prospects for firms like KL Gates, Reed Smith, Jones Day ?(Please spare me the ITE talk)

6. I saw some university owned housing in North oakland, are those furnished? How "nice" are they? Are they easy to get? Is it first come first serve?

7. How is the weather there?

8. Any asian students?

9. If you are a 1L at Pitt and if you don't mind me asking, how well did you do? How much did you study?

Thanks.

Ok here goes:

1. Not competitive in the cut throat sense. The people are very social and down to earth. Of course there are 1 or 2 people per section who are your typical law school pricks, but 95% of the people here are great.

2. The professors have all been very easy for me to get a hold of. Two have invited my friends and I out to lunch. It's very common for profs to do that it seems.

3. None of my professors did last semester.

4. The curve is generous for a T2 IMO 3.0+

5. ITE top 5-10%. traditionally the top 20% are competitive. Pitt usually puts +/-12% in Biglaw. A large number of out best students are absolutely uninterested in Biglaw and are headed for public interest work.

6. I know 1 person who lives in university housing. I've been in the apt. its ok, nothing great. Almost everyone lives in apartments in shadyside and squirrel hill.

7. I think it's fine, but it'll depend on what you're used to.

8. Yes, not a ton though, but CMU has about a million. So you wont be alone.

9. I'm somewhere above median, we don't rank so I dont know where. I would guess less than top 1/3. I spend about 3 or 4 hours outside of class per day reading and studying and probably 10/12 hours total on the weekend. My study habits are in line with all the people I hang out with. There isn't a correlation between grades and the amount of time you study IMO. Everyone is smart and everyone works hard. The last 3 weeks before the end of the semester your whole life is studying for exams.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:09 pm

When someone says the curve is "3.0+," what does that mean? I don't quite understand that. My dean's scholarship says it's conditional of me maintaining at least a 3.0 so I'm trying to get a grasp on how tough that will be.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 pm

burvowski wrote:When someone says the curve is "3.0+," what does that mean? I don't quite understand that. My dean's scholarship says it's conditional of me maintaining at least a 3.0 so I'm trying to get a grasp on how tough that will be.

It means that the curve is such that the average student will finish the first year with about a 3.0. The "curve" is the 50% mark. Above that and you're in the top 1/2 the class. Below that and you're in the bottom half. This means that typically, an a given exam, the "average" student will get a B. Usually at Pitt is seems to work out to be just over a 3.0...so an exam with 80 students will probably work out something like this:
6 As
10 A-s
14 B+s
22 Bs
15 B-s
10 -15 C+ and below

With most of the exams being graded on a very similar scale, the average GPA of the class will probably be about a 3.05.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:28 am

Colton wrote:9. I'm somewhere above median, we don't rank so I dont know where. I would guess less than top 1/3. I spend about 3 or 4 hours outside of class per day reading and studying and probably 10/12 hours total on the weekend. My study habits are in line with all the people I hang out with. There isn't a correlation between grades and the amount of time you study IMO. Everyone is smart and everyone works hard. The last 3 weeks before the end of the semester your whole life is studying for exams.

In your opinion, what is the difference between the top and bottom of the class? just curious...any other current students feel free to take this one.

Not that u are saying this, but when ppl say something along the lines of, "exam grading is arbitrary and involves an element of luck."--i am always somewhat skeptical because there are students who crush both 1L semesters. The top of the class is not made up of people who did ok one semester and great another, but people who grab A's in a lot of classes both semester. If it was as arbitrary and lucky as some say, then how do they explain the consistency?--great luck?

/rant.

Colton

Postby Colton » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:52 am

jack duluoz wrote:
Colton wrote:9. I'm somewhere above median, we don't rank so I dont know where. I would guess less than top 1/3. I spend about 3 or 4 hours outside of class per day reading and studying and probably 10/12 hours total on the weekend. My study habits are in line with all the people I hang out with. There isn't a correlation between grades and the amount of time you study IMO. Everyone is smart and everyone works hard. The last 3 weeks before the end of the semester your whole life is studying for exams.

In your opinion, what is the difference between the top and bottom of the class? just curious...any other current students feel free to take this one.

Not that u are saying this, but when ppl say something along the lines of, "exam grading is arbitrary and involves an element of luck."--i am always somewhat skeptical because there are students who crush both 1L semesters. The top of the class is not made up of people who did ok one semester and great another, but people who grab A's in a lot of classes both semester. If it was as arbitrary and lucky as some say, then how do they explain the consistency?--great luck?

/rant.

Luck is a factor I guess, but I would say those people who got all A's just get "it". Its not magic. They write really good law school exam answers. The A exams I had a chance to look at for comparison framed the issue a little bit sharper than I did and they gave answers that were more focused - if that makes sense. There are people who are just plain good at writing the answer in the amount of time given more directly and concisely than everyone else. But the difference between an A and B is a lot smaller than people think. Honestly. There's very little wiggle room.

And actually the top of the class is very often made up of people who had mediocre first semesters but crushed it after going through the process once.
Last edited by Colton on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:08 am

It seems there are a variety of endowment scholarships offered to both incoming students and 2/3L's, independent of the initial merit awards. The website states admitted applicants will be notified by april 1st if they've received one.. so just wondering if anybody has heard about any of these yet?

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:29 am

Received an e-mail letting me know my application will be decided in the near future. I interpreted it as a chance to tell them I am still interested.

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 am

law_lover wrote:I got an email from pitt saying that they appreciate my patience and that my application is still under review (unsolicited).

I got that email as well. To me it almost sounded like a "soft" waitlist in the sense that it pretty much asked for an indication of continued interest in the school. But it's very possible that I'm overthinking it and it's nothing more than a nice gesture to those of us who are still waiting. Let's hope for some quick decisions now.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:17 am

For those of you curious about grading/curve etc... These pages should help---------->

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndlsdir_search_results.asp?lscd=23904&yr=2009

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:22 am

Who here has decided on Pitt? Is there a Class of 2013 page on Facebook?

ps- Thanks Compaq for the above links.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:55 am

FunkyJD wrote:Who here has decided on Pitt? Is there a Class of 2013 page on Facebook?

I have and Yes.

So how dressed up is everyone getting for ASD on friday? Unless someone knows something i dont, i am thinking something along the lines of a casual button up and khakis.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:57 am

jack duluoz wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Who here has decided on Pitt? Is there a Class of 2013 page on Facebook?

I have and Yes.

So how dressed up is everyone getting for ASD on friday? Unless someone knows something i dont, i am thinking something along the lines of a casual button up and khakis.

That sounds about right. No need to go fancier than that.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Im about 95% set on PITT...
Facebook group exists...("Pitt Law-Class of 2013")

As for ASD, I'm def thinking button-down/polo and some khakis... although i'm sure there will be a few people with suits on... We can probably assume they will be the gunners... lol

Should we do anything to denote that we are from TLS?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:02 pm

For me it depends on the weather. Decent and sunny - skirt. Cold and/or raining - either black pants or jeans.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:04 pm

It's off-putting when people get all dressed up. You only get dressed up to impress adults, and you've already done that if you are attending admitted students weekend, so now you just have to impress your peers, which you can do by being yourself, which likely means wearing jeans.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:As for ASD, I'm def thinking button-down/polo and some khakis... although i'm sure there will be a few people with suits on... We can probably assume they will be the gunners... lol

hmm. resemble our avatars? secret handshake?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:08 pm

jack duluoz wrote:
Compaq1984 wrote:As for ASD, I'm def thinking button-down/polo and some khakis... although i'm sure there will be a few people with suits on... We can probably assume they will be the gunners... lol

:lol:

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:54 pm

jack duluoz wrote:

lol... that could work...

however, I think I did come across something in another school's forum where the TLS "kids" underlined there names on their name tags... subtle but effective...

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:12 pm

My resemblence to Attorney Birdman is uncanny. You won't be able to miss me :)

I'll underline, sure

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm glad I can't come, or I'd have to carry a mackerel or an unsuspecting swimmer in my teeth.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”