Pitt 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snowpeach06

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:50 pm

law_lover wrote:I've been UR at Pitt (notice via email) since 1/24. I have no idea what is taking so long.

Ditto-ish.

smartin

Postby smartin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:10 pm

law_lover wrote:I've been UR at Pitt (notice via email) since 1/24. I have no idea what is taking so long.

law_lover,

I <3 your avatar.

Also, same here.

stayway

Postby stayway » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:51 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:
loureed wrote:14k automatic scholarship for 3.4+ and 161+ is not accurate. I beat both and got 12k.

I think the automatic scholly was for $10K. But it seems people that will pay out of state tuition have been getting a little more money.....

from pitt website: "Students admitted prior to March 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship. All admitted students are reviewed for consideration for a merit scholarship. Students awarded a merit scholarship will be notified in writing with their admit letter. The minimum award amount starts at $10,000 per academic year with two equal payments of $5,000 per term."

14k is not automatic with those numbers i have 159/3.33 and got 14k.

I would probably 90% consider Pitt if I can get more money. Should I try to negotiate?

Do you have any leverage? If your next best offer is paying sticker at nova, I would said you are not in a position to negotiate. You're numbers will not help their positioning in any way. Only 2 people on LSN got more money, and only $2k more.

But what do you have to lose? They are not going to take away your offer or scholly. From what I have gathered, your bright spot is the strength of your UG.

Good Luck!

Maybe the 15k from Nova will have some leverage?

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:27 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Maybe the 15k from Nova will have some leverage?

No doubt. You certainly have more to talk about with them now. It's not a golden ticket, because, as you previously mentioned, the costs of the 2 schools would be about the same.

If I were in your situation, I would definitely ask. You have nothing to lose. But I wouldn't be shocked if they said no.

Did someone from Pitt tell you that you should be eligible for residency your 2L and 3L? I heard some people have trouble, esp for unmarried folks with no tangable ties to state.

stayway

Postby stayway » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Maybe the 15k from Nova will have some leverage?

No doubt. You certainly have more to talk about with them now. It's not a golden ticket, because, as you previously mentioned, the costs of the 2 schools would be about the same.

If I were in your situation, I would definitely ask. You have nothing to lose. But I wouldn't be shocked if they said no.

Did someone from Pitt tell you that you should be eligible for residency your 2L and 3L? I heard some people have trouble, esp for unmarried folks with no tangable ties to state.

no one really told me but i just read on TLS and other sites.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:

This is true. Instate 2l & 3L is by no means a sure thing.

stayway

Postby stayway » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:44 pm

reverendt wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

This is true. Instate 2l & 3L is by no means a sure thing.

oh wow that changes things.

TracyLynn

Postby TracyLynn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:20 pm

So got my acceptance letter, 159 3.8, no scholarship money. Does that mean I'm not getting any? Wasn't expecting that. Any tips? I definitely can't afford sticker...anyone get notified about need based?

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:25 pm

TracyLynn wrote:So got my acceptance letter, 159 3.8, no scholarship money. Does that mean I'm not getting any? Wasn't expecting that. Any tips? I definitely can't afford sticker...anyone get notified about need based?

I sent them my FAFSA in mid feb and have not heard anything about the aide package yet. Has anyone received financial aid info from Pitt?

Edit for clarity
Last edited by Scurredsitless1 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stayway

Postby stayway » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
TracyLynn wrote:So got my acceptance letter, 159 3.8, no scholarship money. Does that mean I'm not getting any? Wasn't expecting that. Any tips? I definitely can't afford sticker...anyone get notified about need based?

I sent them my FAFSA in mid feb and have not heard anything about the aide package yet. Has anyone received it?

i wish i knew.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:04 pm

It is my understanding that Pitt sends out scholarship information with your acceptance letter. So you're probably SOL unless you have an offer from a peer institution, which you could use to negotiate money from Pitt.

i also submitted my FAFSA in mid-feb and havent heard anything.

TracyLynn

Postby TracyLynn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Was it unrealistic for me to expect some scholarship money? 3.8, 159

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:19 pm

TracyLynn wrote:Was it unrealistic for me to expect some scholarship money? 3.8, 159

Not unrealistic at all. Late applications really hurt schollys, tho. Looking at LSN, it seems your numbers should be competitive for some cash.

You can always ask them though, there is some great information on negotiating in other threads.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:21 am

I got nothing as well, but I'm planning on talking to them on ASD since my LSAT went up. It worked with Rutgers, so I'll see if it will work with Pitt.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:39 pm

In at Pitt via snail mail today. $14k. Will try to negotiate for more, considering much higher ranked schools have given much more.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 pm

FunkyJD wrote:In at Pitt via snail mail today. $14k. Will try to negotiate for more, considering much higher ranked schools have given much more.

congrats!

is Pitt one of your top choices? looking at our previous converstions it seems like it.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:57 pm

who do i email to negotiate meme jeffries?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:25 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:In at Pitt via snail mail today. $14k. Will try to negotiate for more, considering much higher ranked schools have given much more.

congrats!

is Pitt one of your top choices? looking at our previous converstions it seems like it.

Thanks! The more information I gather, and the more I speak with others and think about my own priorities, Pitt has risen to my A-list of options ... but only if they up their offer. I can't justify paying the same amount to attend Pitt that I'd pay at Illinois, for instance.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:43 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

congrats!

Thanks! The more information I gather, and the more I speak with others and think about my own priorities, Pitt has risen to my A-list of options ... but only if they up their offer. I can't justify paying the same amount to attend Pitt that I'd pay at Illinois, for instance.

yeah. i'm about to e-mail meme jeffries and see what she says.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:06 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

congrats!

yeah. i'm about to e-mail meme jeffries and see what she says.

Let me know how it turns out, for sure. PM me if you'd prefer.

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:56 pm

For anyone who is still waiting, did you apply for a dual-degree program by any chance? I selected the JD/MPP on my application and am wondering if that's why it's taking so long to hear back.

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:For anyone who is still waiting, did you apply for a dual-degree program by any chance? I selected the JD/MPP on my application and am wondering if that's why it's taking so long to hear back.

They are probably waiting on the school of public policy to accept your application to them, too, then. You sent in a separate app for the other degree, right?

Dayton

Postby Dayton » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:For anyone who is still waiting, did you apply for a dual-degree program by any chance? I selected the JD/MPP on my application and am wondering if that's why it's taking so long to hear back.

I don't know if it's the same for all departments, but I applied for the JD/MSW and have already heard back and I probably won't be doing the MSW application until the fall.

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:00 am

burvowski wrote:

They are probably waiting on the school of public policy to accept your application to them, too, then. You sent in a separate app for the other degree, right?

Come to think of it, I only indicated that I would be interested in that program. So I'm guessing that wouldn't add any time. I guess I'm just trying to invent excuses for why I haven't received a decision yet; it's getting frustrating.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks to Spaceman Spiff in another thread...pretty good shout out.

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I was reading a blog and came across this article written by the chairman and global managing partner of K&L Gates. The article is a long complaint regarding the USNWR rankings. However, there is substantial discussion of Pitt Law (and schools like it).

From the article:

"I am a graduate of Yale Law School. It was and is a great place -- but it's no Pitt Law. Yale Law is the same tiny size it was 50 years ago -- about 165 students per class. The 50 largest law firms in the country now employ about 65,000 lawyers. Yale Law today, sad to say, is quantitatively beside the point to most of the country's leading law firms. And, of course, 'Yale Law' is merely a metaphor that embraces Harvard, Stanford, Chicago and the other "designer" law schools whose entering class sizes are frozen in time like the fetching smile of a prom date you haven't seen in 40 years.

"Consider the impact of the real Pitt Law on my firm. We have 29 partners and 60 lawyers overall who are graduates of Pitt Law. It has supplied us with a global development partner, a global general counsel, a global head of litigation and the managing partner of one of our largest offices. It trains great leaders as well as great lawyers not only because ideas matter there, but also because emotional intelligence and analytical intelligence go hand in hand. It doesn't sit well with me when Pitt Law is unfairly maligned."

The rest of the article is interesting as well. I particularly like this quote:

"If you are a beleaguered law school dean, know that this customer pays not a damn bit of attention to the U.S. News ranking -- nor should your applicant pool. "

Reminding us all that the only numbers that matter are employment stats.

http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter/lawArticleCareerCenter.jsp?id=1202427136135&rss=newswire

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”