Pitt 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keemos
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby keemos » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:18 pm

pjo wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:
loureed wrote:14k automatic scholarship for 3.4+ and 161+ is not accurate. I beat both and got 12k.


I think the automatic scholly was for $10K. But it seems people that will pay out of state tuition have been getting a little more money.....

from pitt website: "Students admitted prior to March 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship. All admitted students are reviewed for consideration for a merit scholarship. Students awarded a merit scholarship will be notified in writing with their admit letter. The minimum award amount starts at $10,000 per academic year with two equal payments of $5,000 per term."


Just to clear this up a bit. as of LSN, OOS applicants have been getting 16k and in staters have been getting 12K (both for the dean's scholarship). I know on Pitt's site it says the dean's scholarship is 10k/year but I think this is dated. In actuality I think it is half of the years tuition (Pitt was 20,000/year like 2 years ago which would explain why the scholarship was 10K). Now that instate tution is up to 24k/year the dean's scholarhsip has subsequently increased to 12k (i.e. half) and 16k for out of staters. This is just what i've noticed.



Not sure why you have come to this conclusion. I looked at LSN and it seems to me that just about everyone with the required numbers is getting 14K/year or 42,000 total. I only saw a couple of 16K

KJ5490
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby KJ5490 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:24 pm

When you're negotiating scholarship offers, do you think it is a good idea to say names and numbers? I want Pitt to offer a little more since I got bigger offers from Duquesne and Case Western, but I don't know if they like hearing specifics. I don't want to blow my chances.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:25 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Question: Are you guys straight out of UG? I feel a little young going to law school. Also, my parents desperately want to come to the open house with me and I feel that might make things a little weird (for some reason).

Here's my two cents worth. I look at these events as professional events. I'm there to learn as much as I can about the institution, and to come across to my possible future professors and peers as a serious professional student -- someone you might want to study with, or write a recommendation for someday. I'm there to start building professional and personal relationships, from Day One.

I don't do that to front -- it's just that I look as graduate school as my business. Just as I wouldn't bring my parents to a business conference, I wouldn't bring them to a law school open house. I wouldn't want my professors to see me as the kid with my mommy. I'd want to see them as a professional individual.

I hope that doesn't come across as crass, it's just my perspective as an older guy. If you feel differently, I can understand that. It's a judgment call you need to make. If you bring them, maybe have them hang out somewhere else on campus/hang out in the city and go shopping, and then have dinner with them that night.
Last edited by FunkyJD on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:29 pm

KJ5490 wrote:When you're negotiating scholarship offers, do you think it is a good idea to say names and numbers? I want Pitt to offer a little more since I got bigger offers from Duquesne and Case Western, but I don't know if they like hearing specifics. I don't want to blow my chances.

Since Duquesne isn't a peer school with Pitt, not sure if that will help you much -- they would probably call your bluff and say, go to Duquesne then. But if there's a serious chance you might go to Case Western if you didn't get a better offer from Pitt, I say communicate that with them. In negotiations like this, I think you improve your chances if you build a solid case, and that means sharing information with them as appropriate.

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Compaq1984 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:32 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Question: Are you guys straight out of UG? I feel a little young going to law school. Also, my parents desperately want to come to the open house with me and I feel that might make things a little weird (for some reason).

Here's my two cents worth. I look at these events as professional events. I'm there to learn as much as I can about the institution, and to come across to my possible future professors and peers as a serious professional student -- someone you might want to study with, or write a recommendation for someday. I'm there to start building professional and personal relationships, from Day One.

I don't do that to front -- it's just that I look as graduate school as my business. Just as I wouldn't bring my parents to a business conference, I wouldn't bring them to a law school open house. I wouldn't want my professors to see me as the kid with my mommy. I'd want to see them as a professional individual.

I hope that doesn't come across as crass, it's just my perspective as an older guy. If you feel differently, I can understand that. It's a judgment call you need to make. If you bring them, maybe have them hang out someone else on campus/hang out in the city and go shopping, and then have dinner with them that night.


+1

Parents would prob be more appropriate (IMHO) for a non-open house day or just a normal tour... I'm also not straight out of UG so my view is somewhat skewed...

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:34 pm

KJ5490 wrote:When you're negotiating scholarship offers, do you think it is a good idea to say names and numbers? I want Pitt to offer a little more since I got bigger offers from Duquesne and Case Western, but I don't know if they like hearing specifics. I don't want to blow my chances.


I would fully disclose all information. Since case and duquesne are certainly competitors with Pitt, I see no down side. There is a great post about negotiating scholly info under the "Content Competition" section.

Although Duquesne isn't a peer institution with pitt on there boards, they certainly compete for students.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
KJ5490 wrote:When you're negotiating scholarship offers, do you think it is a good idea to say names and numbers? I want Pitt to offer a little more since I got bigger offers from Duquesne and Case Western, but I don't know if they like hearing specifics. I don't want to blow my chances.


I would fully disclose all information. Since case and duquesne are certainly competitors with Pitt, I see no down side. There is a great post about negotiating scholly info under the "Content Competition" section.

Although Duquesne isn't a peer institution with pitt on there boards, they certainly compete for students.

Good point.

virginiaplain
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby virginiaplain » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 pm

I am losing my mind rushing home to the mailbox every day! Anyone heard from Pitt lately?

User avatar
mhd08
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby mhd08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 pm

I received the e-mail that I'm under review on 1/27. Anyone have any idea how long it should take to get a decision? I really hope I don't miss the deadline for the $14,000 scholly.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby stayway » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:36 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Question: Are you guys straight out of UG? I feel a little young going to law school. Also, my parents desperately want to come to the open house with me and I feel that might make things a little weird (for some reason).

Here's my two cents worth. I look at these events as professional events. I'm there to learn as much as I can about the institution, and to come across to my possible future professors and peers as a serious professional student -- someone you might want to study with, or write a recommendation for someday. I'm there to start building professional and personal relationships, from Day One.

I don't do that to front -- it's just that I look as graduate school as my business. Just as I wouldn't bring my parents to a business conference, I wouldn't bring them to a law school open house. I wouldn't want my professors to see me as the kid with my mommy. I'd want to see them as a professional individual.

I hope that doesn't come across as crass, it's just my perspective as an older guy. If you feel differently, I can understand that. It's a judgment call you need to make. If you bring them, maybe have them hang out somewhere else on campus/hang out in the city and go shopping, and then have dinner with them that night.


That is exactly why I was asking TLS. That's how I think of this as well, but you know how stubborn parents can be. I'll just go to open house myself and visit the city/campus informally with my parents before the 26th.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby reverendt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:25 pm

If you're trying to get more money, bring them copies of your offers from other schools (unless you think one or more of them might somehow hurt your case.
This is common practice. They will probably ask you for copies anyway.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:45 pm

reverendt wrote:If you're trying to get more money, bring them copies of your offers from other schools (unless you think one or more of them might somehow hurt your case.
This is common practice. They will probably ask you for copies anyway.

They do.

jayare
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby jayare » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Withdrew by postal mail on Friday (with the 14k dean's scholarship), hope that opens up a space (and some cash!) for one of you!

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:02 pm

As excited as I am today, I'm just as bummed. In at UVA ED, so I'll be withdrawing. Hope this frees up some cash money for someone else. Seriously, I was really looking forward to living in Pittsburgh (and not being in debt up to my eyeballs), but it's a chance I couldn't pass up.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:03 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:As excited as I am today, I'm just as bummed. In at UVA ED, so I'll be withdrawing. Hope this frees up some cash money for someone else. Seriously, I was really looking forward to living in Pittsburgh (and not being in debt up to my eyeballs), but it's a chance I couldn't pass up.


Enjoy UVA :D. So jealous!

User avatar
bklyngreenlp
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby bklyngreenlp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:07 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:As excited as I am today, I'm just as bummed. In at UVA ED, so I'll be withdrawing. Hope this frees up some cash money for someone else. Seriously, I was really looking forward to living in Pittsburgh (and not being in debt up to my eyeballs), but it's a chance I couldn't pass up.



Wow, that's incredible. Congratulations on the acceptance to UVA!!!

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks, guys. :D

jtgain
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby jtgain » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Withdrew today with a $14k Dean's Scholly. I hope one of you all get that $$$$. Best of luck.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby stayway » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:52 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Thanks, guys. :D


do you want to trade admissions? Your UVa for my Pitt?

I kid I kid.

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:As excited as I am today, I'm just as bummed. In at UVA ED, so I'll be withdrawing. Hope this frees up some cash money for someone else. Seriously, I was really looking forward to living in Pittsburgh (and not being in debt up to my eyeballs), but it's a chance I couldn't pass up.


Congrats and Good Luck!!

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby stayway » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:05 pm

i dont think nova is giving me any money....looking more like Pitt everyday...Primanti Bros anybody?

apmurphy636
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby apmurphy636 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:36 pm

How long does it usually take to hear back from Pitt? Applied a month ago and haven't heard back yet. 162 and 3.5 here

User avatar
Compaq1984
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:01 pm

nooyyllib wrote:i dont think nova is giving me any money....looking more like Pitt everyday...Primanti Bros anybody?


I had a friend get accepted to NOVA last cycle and he was at or above both medians and they gave him next to nothing... they are stingy...

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 pm

apmurphy636 wrote:How long does it usually take to hear back from Pitt? Applied a month ago and haven't heard back yet. 162 and 3.5 here



If your surname is actually "murphy", you're eligible for a scholly based on that alone.... i shit you not. check the website.

KJ5490
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Pitt 2010

Postby KJ5490 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
apmurphy636 wrote:How long does it usually take to hear back from Pitt? Applied a month ago and haven't heard back yet. 162 and 3.5 here



If your surname is actually "murphy", you're eligible for a scholly based on that alone.... i shit you not. check the website.


I saw that too. What a joke, maybe I'll go change my name to make school a little more affordable




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, Keilz, lillawyer2, Long shot hero, mudiverse, Nickel94, Nobiggie, NotAGolfer, RickyBunny, sec_undergrad, xn3345 and 39 guests