Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 pm

I had lots of questions. Honestly, i thought the call was a really nice gesture...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 pm

No it was, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't. It was just weird because it was a school I applied to that I'd only consider if I didn't get into a Philly school I wanted. I heard from those schools before Pitt, so I've just pretty much ignored the school.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:27 pm

I got the call when i was eating dinner. Felt bad since I didnt have any questions at hand.

Btw, just received mail offering me 14k renewable....this is making my decision even harder.

Bruin2009

New

Post by Bruin2009 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 pm

nooyyllib wrote:I got the call when i was eating dinner. Felt bad since I didnt have any questions at hand.

Btw, just received mail offering me 14k renewable....this is making my decision even harder.
What are your numbers? and when did you apply? if you dont mind me asking

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 pm

Bruin2009 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:I got the call when i was eating dinner. Felt bad since I didnt have any questions at hand.

What are your numbers? and when did you apply? if you dont mind me asking
159/3.33 out of state non-URM. complete early november.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KJ5490

New

Post by KJ5490 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:50 pm

Does anyone know who I can contact about negotiating scholarships at Pitt? Pitt offered me 8,000 a year, which is way below what I've gotten elsewhere (even considering the percentage of tuition)

I like the idea of going to Pitt but I'd like at least a little more money from them. All of the other schools emailed me information about my scholarship, so I had email addresses I could reply to about negotiating. I can't figure out who to contact at Pitt, or should I just email the financial aid office in general?

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:41 pm

KJ5490 wrote:Does anyone know who I can contact about negotiating scholarships at Pitt? Pitt offered me 8,000 a year, which is way below what I've gotten elsewhere (even considering the percentage of tuition)

I like the idea of going to Pitt but I'd like at least a little more money from them. All of the other schools emailed me information about my scholarship, so I had email addresses I could reply to about negotiating. I can't figure out who to contact at Pitt, or should I just email the financial aid office in general?
I do not know who to contact, but i've been following Pitt this whole cycle and may offer some info. Of course, i am not an adcomm so don't let me be your final word on the matter. Having said that, I doubt you will have much luck. Pitt offers 14k a year for anyone with a 3.4 AND 161--so the fact they gave u 8k means youre lacking in gpa or lsat. In order to negotiate more money, i believe u would need to be above the 14k auto-scholly threshold or some kind of unique soft factor.

I guess i would contact linsenmeyer or mccall, Everyone i have spoke to at pitt has been helpful, so im sure if u send an email to any adcomm they'll forward it to the right person.

KJ5490

New

Post by KJ5490 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:55 pm

jack duluoz wrote:
KJ5490 wrote:Does anyone know who I can contact about negotiating scholarships at Pitt? Pitt offered me 8,000 a year, which is way below what I've gotten elsewhere (even considering the percentage of tuition)

I do not know who to contact, but i've been following Pitt this whole cycle and may offer some info. Of course, i am not an adcomm so don't let me be your final word on the matter. Having said that, I doubt you will have much luck. Pitt offers 14k a year for anyone with a 3.4 AND 161--so the fact they gave u 8k means youre lacking in gpa or lsat. In order to negotiate more money, i believe u would need to be above the 14k auto-scholly threshold or some kind of unique soft factor.

I guess i would contact linsenmeyer or mccall, Everyone i have spoke to at pitt has been helpful, so im sure if u send an email to any adcomm they'll forward it to the right person.

Thanks for the insight. I'm slightly lacking for the Dean's auto scholarship. I have a 3.8 gpa but only a 159 lsat. Close, but not close enough. I'm just hoping to squeeze a little more out of them even if it's only another grand or 2.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 am

Contact Meme Jeffries

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 pm

KJ5490 wrote: Thanks for the insight. I'm slightly lacking for the Dean's auto scholarship. I have a 3.8 gpa but only a 159 lsat. Close, but not close enough. I'm just hoping to squeeze a little more out of them even if it's only another grand or 2.
Well, with a 3.8, i think that changes things a little. You're a good bit over median and even the 75th for that matter, so i think they have a legitimate interest in admitting people with your gpa. good luck!

loureed

New

Post by loureed » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:13 pm

14k automatic scholarship for 3.4+ and 161+ is not accurate. I beat both and got 12k.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:18 pm

loureed wrote:14k automatic scholarship for 3.4+ and 161+ is not accurate. I beat both and got 12k.
I think the automatic scholly was for $10K. But it seems people that will pay out of state tuition have been getting a little more money.....

from pitt website: "Students admitted prior to March 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship. All admitted students are reviewed for consideration for a merit scholarship. Students awarded a merit scholarship will be notified in writing with their admit letter. The minimum award amount starts at $10,000 per academic year with two equal payments of $5,000 per term."

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
loureed wrote:14k automatic scholarship for 3.4+ and 161+ is not accurate. I beat both and got 12k.
I think the automatic scholly was for $10K. But it seems people that will pay out of state tuition have been getting a little more money.....

from pitt website: "Students admitted prior to March 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship. All admitted students are reviewed for consideration for a merit scholarship. Students awarded a merit scholarship will be notified in writing with their admit letter. The minimum award amount starts at $10,000 per academic year with two equal payments of $5,000 per term."
14k is not automatic with those numbers i have 159/3.33 and got 14k.

I would probably 90% consider Pitt if I can get more money. Should I try to negotiate?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:

Just to clear this up a bit. as of LSN, OOS applicants have been getting 16k and in staters have been getting 12K (both for the dean's scholarship). I know on Pitt's site it says the dean's scholarship is 10k/year but I think this is dated. In actuality I think it is half of the years tuition (Pitt was 20,000/year like 2 years ago which would explain why the scholarship was 10K). Now that instate tution is up to 24k/year the dean's scholarhsip has subsequently increased to 12k (i.e. half) and 16k for out of staters. This is just what i've noticed.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:42 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

I would probably 90% consider Pitt if I can get more money. Should I try to negotiate?

Do you have any leverage? If your next best offer is paying sticker at nova, I would said you are not in a position to negotiate. You're numbers will not help their positioning in any way. Only 2 people on LSN got more money, and only $2k more.

But what do you have to lose? They are not going to take away your offer or scholly. From what I have gathered, your bright spot is the strength of your UG.

Good Luck!

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:44 pm

pjo wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

Just to clear this up a bit. as of LSN, OOS applicants have been getting 16k and in staters have been getting 12K (both for the dean's scholarship). I know on Pitt's site it says the dean's scholarship is 10k/year but I think this is dated. In actuality I think it is half of the years tuition (Pitt was 20,000/year like 2 years ago which would explain why the scholarship was 10K). Now that instate tution is up to 24k/year the dean's scholarhsip has subsequently increased to 12k (i.e. half) and 16k for out of staters. This is just what i've noticed.
Yeah, my bad. I probably didnt give the right figure, but my point is that KJ was offered less than the dean's scholarship--which i believe if youre not 161 and 3.4, then u better have at least one stat much higher than a 161 or 3.4 to negotiate a much larger amount of money.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

Do you have any leverage? If your next best offer is paying sticker at nova, I would said you are not in a position to negotiate. You're numbers will not help their positioning in any way. Only 2 people on LSN got more money, and only $2k more.

But what do you have to lose? They are not going to take away your offer or scholly. From what I have gathered, your bright spot is the strength of your UG.

Good Luck!
haha yeah I guess, the 14k itself was a bit of a surprise. Maybe I'll wait till what Villanova gives me and e-mail Meme Jeffries or the financial aid office at Pitt. Yeah I have no leverage other than the fact that PSU is giving me 10k a year (which i believe is irrelevant).

Anyone going to the open house on the 26th?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:48 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Anyone going to the open house on the 26th?

I'll be going.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:48 pm

jack duluoz wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Anyone going to the open house on the 26th?

I'll be going.
Me too.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Question: Are you guys straight out of UG? I feel a little young going to law school. Also, my parents desperately want to come to the open house with me and I feel that might make things a little weird (for some reason).

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:52 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Question: Are you guys straight out of UG? I feel a little young going to law school. Also, my parents desperately want to come to the open house with me and I feel that might make things a little weird (for some reason).
I am only a year out. Yeah, my mom kinda said the same thing, but i set her straight. lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:57 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Question: Are you guys straight out of UG? I feel a little young going to law school. Also, my parents desperately want to come to the open house with me and I feel that might make things a little weird (for some reason).
I'm 26, 4 years out of undergrad. The way I see it, law school is for adults. Some people are adults at 22, I was not. I think there are going to be more 22 year olds there than older people though.

Personally, I would not want my parents there.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
I'm 26, 4 years out of undergrad. The way I see it, law school is for adults. Some people are adults at 22, I was not. I think there are going to be more 22 year olds there than older people though.

My parents went to a few ASW's with my sister and I went to one with her when she went (the only one she went to herself was AT her undergrad). She was just out of undergrad and it was no big deal to have her parents there. If you feel uncomfortable, you can have your parents come with you on the trip and explore Pittsburgh while you go to the ASD stuff.

Meanwhile I'm old (27) and should be there on the 26th (sans family) :).

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:

Yea, there is a possibility a member of the 2013 class will be as old as our parents--leave em at home. I am sure u could arrange for them to see the school on another date.

like keg said though, you're not going to be made fun of/laughed out of ASD.

BTW, i was old for my grade, so i'll be 24 by the time i enter LS.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:07 pm

keg411 wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

My parents went to a few ASW's with my sister and I went to one with her when she went (the only one she went to herself was AT her undergrad). She was just out of undergrad and it was no big deal to have her parents there. If you feel uncomfortable, you can have your parents come with you on the trip and explore Pittsburgh while you go to the ASD stuff.

Meanwhile I'm old (27) and should be there on the 26th (sans family) :).

I guess that is an aspect I didn't consider; exploring the city. If you go with someone, you will probably be more adventurous and see more of the city.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”