Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Compaq1984

Bronze

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by Compaq1984 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 pm

skamike wrote:So I've decided to fly out to Pittsburgh to check out the law school before I have to make my decision. A few more questions:

How troublesome is it to have a hotel near the airport when touring the university region (cab fare, etc)?
Any good sushi joints (all u can eat preferred)?
Sports bar with cheap beer near the DT?

Cab fare may be expensive from the airport.. I suggest that you try a hotel near DT or the school when visiting... if you are visiting during the week, you can nab a nice hotel (i.e. wyndham by the school) for $50-60 a night.. goto priceline and "name your price"..lol.. it actually works...

the other questions Im not too sure about yet... near the school, I have been to "fuel and fuddle" (decent food, cheap beer) and hemingways (cheap beer)...GL

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Tue May 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Colton wrote:
skamike wrote:So I've decided to fly out to Pittsburgh to check out the law school before I have to make my decision. A few more questions:

How troublesome is it to have a hotel near the airport when touring the university region (cab fare, etc)?

Take the 28X city bus, it takes you right into Oakland and goes right by the law school.
just make sure you have exact change (or at least close if you don't care) because they won't break any bills

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue May 04, 2010 3:33 pm

I wouldn't necessarily recommend staying by the airport unless you have a particular reason to stay there. There's a Holiday Inn and Wyndham right near the school I would consider if I were you.
For sports bars I don't know about downtown (there's not too much downtown except office buildings) but near Pitt on Atwood is the Side Door Saloon. (There's also Hemingways right across from the law school....I don't know if it's really a sports bar, but they do have TVs with sports on....)

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:36 pm

From today's Post-Gazette:

http://post-gazette.com/pg/10124/1055464-100.stm
State Reps. Daryl Metcalfe and Harry Readshaw think Pennsylvania should follow Arizona's lead and "protect its borders and citizens" by giving local and state police more power to arrest, detain and eventually deport foreigners who have entered the state illegally and don't have proper registration papers.
I agree that Pennsylvania should protect its citizens, but this law isn't the way to go. Did you know New Jersey citizens can come and go as they please? Why not just put up a fence along the New Jersey border and solve the problem for good? This seems like an attempt to add unnecessary government bureaucracy in a time of great strain on the state's resources.

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Tue May 04, 2010 4:38 pm

reverendt wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily recommend staying by the airport unless you have a particular reason to stay there. There's a Holiday Inn and Wyndham right near the school I would consider if I were you.
For sports bars I don't know about downtown (there's not too much downtown except office buildings) but near Pitt on Atwood is the Side Door Saloon. (There's also Hemingways right across from the law school....I don't know if it's really a sports bar, but they do have TVs with sports on....)
I stayed at the Wyndham on Forbes (8 years ago) and I remember it being nice. I looked when I was planning my visit last month and it was a little pricey, but it's location to the school/Oakland can't be beat and you don't have to worry about it being flea-bag motel when you show up. (I ended up staying with friends in Squirrel Hill)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:44 pm

smartin wrote:
reverendt wrote:

I stayed at the Wyndham on Forbes (8 years ago) and I remember it being nice. I looked when I was planning my visit last month and it was a little pricey, but it's location to the school/Oakland can't be beat and you don't have to worry about it being flea-bag motel when you show up. (I ended up staying with friends in Squirrel Hill)
There's a Quality Inn a couple blocks away from the Wyndam that's decent. It was cheap and had a Panera Bread on the ground floor. If you tell them you're visiting the school they give you a discount, or at least they did for me.

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Tue May 04, 2010 4:46 pm

There's a Quality Inn a couple blocks away from the Wyndam that's decent. It was cheap and had a Panera Bread on the ground floor. If you tell them you're visiting the school they give you a discount, or at least they did for me.[/quote]

I stayed there too. It is pretty close and they do give you a discount if you mention Pitt but it is the same discount you would get for AAA or other things like that. I ate at that Panera a couple of times

skamike

New

Post by skamike » Tue May 04, 2010 4:48 pm

thanks for the quality responses!

next order of business...scraping up enough cash for game 5: Pens-Habs

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:52 pm

skamike wrote:thanks for the quality responses!

Good luck...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Last edited by Scurredsitless1 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skamike

New

Post by skamike » Tue May 04, 2010 5:33 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
skamike wrote:thanks for the quality responses!

Good luck...
My thoughts exactly.

I should think the Pens will crush the habs in the next few games, but fleury has to show up. I feel like I'm seeing the pens getting a lot of good scoring opportunites and getting shut down. Habs get 3 decent shots a game and they all get through.

Fleury can be a monster, but he's really been shitting the bed. The team has been looking good, if pens goaltending starts to look like it did this time last year, the cup could come back.
With Markov out, the pens should be all over the Habs D in the O-zone. I guess we'll see tonight if Halak can keep up his 'magnifique-ness'

ihopeihope

New

Post by ihopeihope » Tue May 04, 2010 7:48 pm

burvowski wrote:Does Pitt offer reasonably priced yoga lessons? They offer them at my UG's rec center for $50 a semester (a steal!). I know there's a decent yoga place on Murray Ave in Sq. Hill, but I can't imagine it's as cheap as a school would offer it.

I'm curious about this as well. If not, any reasonably cheap yoga places in the area. The studio I go to sporadically down here in Asheville gives student discounts for certain classes.

jrobby6

Bronze

Post by jrobby6 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:27 am

Accepted yesterday via email after applying in early Jan. I will be withdrawing, so hopefully I'll free up a spot for one of you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Thu May 06, 2010 2:33 pm

Can anyone suggest a rental Realtor? So far I have not been pleased with the pet-friendly Shadyside listings.

(I also really want to be able to control my own heat, even if I have to pay the electric bill. Is that too much to ask?)

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:34 pm

smartin wrote:Can anyone suggest a rental Realtor? So far I have not been pleased with the pet-friendly Shadyside listings.

(I also really want to be able to control my own heat, even if I have to pay the electric bill. Is that too much to ask?)
Try Walnut Capital Management (walnutcapital.com). They own a couple buildings in Shadyside, allow pets, and utilities are not included in their rent, so you control everything. I'm renting through them and they have pretty decent prices.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Thu May 06, 2010 3:57 pm

smartin wrote:Can anyone suggest a rental Realtor? So far I have not been pleased with the pet-friendly Shadyside listings.

When I was looking for a place 2 years ago I had a bunch of realtors never show up, or fail to tell me that the place I was meeting them to look at was no longer available.

Nearly all the good places I found were through craigslist, posted by the landlord.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu May 06, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm gonna be living in the Kennilworth, which does its own leasing stuff. Not sure how pet friendly the place is, but the location is good. I think the other company I called was Forbes? They were a little short on Shadyside offerings at a reasonable price though, but that may have changed in the last month.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:59 am

Stay away from Mozart. According to a 2L I spoke with at the open house, although they say they allow pets, they really don't. In your lease they have a stipulation that if they discover a pet, they will have animal control take it and then charge you for "disposing" it.

While I know this is all second hand, there's gotta be some truth to the first part.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:41 am

OGR3 wrote:

Stay away from Mozart. According to a 2L I spoke with at the open house, although they say they allow pets, they really don't. In your lease they have a stipulation that if they discover a pet, they will have animal control take it and then charge you for "disposing" it.

While I know this is all second hand, there's gotta be some truth to the first part.
The 1Ls I talked to actually cringed when I mentioned Mozart and Lobos. Apparently Mozart's lease is ridiculous and there are so many rules that it's like living in a dorm again. The 1Ls also confirmed that animals will be removed if found on the premises. I would be very :evil: if that happened to me. To be fair, though, Mozart showed me two apartments and did said they absolutely do not allow animals. They advised to also stay away from Lobos. Not too sure why.

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Fri May 07, 2010 10:08 am

mhd08 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

The 1Ls I talked to actually cringed when I mentioned Mozart and Lobos. Apparently Mozart's lease is ridiculous and there are so many rules that it's like living in a dorm again. The 1Ls also confirmed that animals will be removed if found on the premises. I would be very :evil: if that happened to me. To be fair, though, Mozart showed me two apartments and did said they absolutely do not allow animals. They advised to also stay away from Lobos. Not too sure why.

When I sat in on a class the 1Ls in front of me told me to avoid Lobos and I have a childhood friend attending Pitt Nursing School who reiterated that.

If an apartment told me that they were cat-friendly, and I sat down to sign a lease with the above provision, I would walk away from the table. I've rented before so I know the drill. The first place I rented with (huge management co) gave me the 10+ page lease and said they'd "give me some time but the lease is really 'standard'." A read it cover to cover, underlined bits that concerned me, and had them clarify a few points.

It was then I knew I was destined to become a lawyer.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri May 07, 2010 10:44 am

I gather that most/all of these Mozart time companies absolutely suck!
I'm telling....find a place on craigslist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Fri May 07, 2010 12:24 pm

FYI for others with pets:

-- I contacted Mozart and they wrote, "We do have a building that accommodate pets, the Parklane in Highland Park."
None of other buildings allow them.

-- I called Forbes. They only allow cats on a few of their properties. They only have two-bedrooms left that are pet friendly.
Last edited by smartin on Fri May 07, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delnotdl

New

Post by delnotdl » Fri May 07, 2010 1:44 pm

mhd08 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Could anybody elaborate on why Mozart is so hated? I have an appointment with them this weekend. They have really nice apartments but I'll look elsewhere if they are evil like everyone seems to think

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Fri May 07, 2010 1:49 pm

when it comes to lobos, just say no.

i have rented from them and would never do it again.

edit: my gf rented from walnut capital and she recommends them.
Last edited by jack duluoz on Fri May 07, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:51 pm

delnotdl wrote:
mhd08 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Could anybody elaborate on why Mozart is so hated? I have an appointment with them this weekend. They have really nice apartments but I'll look elsewhere if they are evil like everyone seems to think
Not exactly sure. All I heard was the pet thing and the ridiculous lease with lots of crazy rules. I didn't really get details because I ended up finding an apartment through another management company. I would just look through their lease carefully if you really like one of their places. The two apartments I saw were pretty nice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”