Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jack duluoz

Bronze

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by jack duluoz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 pm

kinda cool:

"Pitt Report: Pittsburgh's Young Workforce Among Top 5 Most Educated in U.S.; Almost Half Hold a Bachelor's Degree or Higher. Plus, Pittsburgh takes number one spot for percentage of the 25-to-34 set with graduate and professional degrees, tied with Washington, D.C., according to Pitt's University Center of Social and Urban Research

PITTSBURGH-Once defined by heavy-industry and blue-collar masses, Pittsburgh now hosts the fifth most educated young workforce in the United States, a distinction that groups the city with such bastions of erudition as Boston, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C., according to a recent report in the “Pittsburgh Economic Quarterly” published by the University of Pittsburgh's University Center for Social and Urban Research (UCSUR)....."

http://www.news.pitt.edu/m/FMPro?-db=ma ... 4047&-Find

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:51 pm

jack duluoz wrote:kinda cool:

"Pitt Report: Pittsburgh's Young Workforce Among Top 5 Most Educated in U.S.; Almost Half Hold a Bachelor's Degree or Higher. Plus, Pittsburgh takes number one spot for percentage of the 25-to-34 set with graduate and professional degrees, tied with Washington, D.C., according to Pitt's University Center of Social and Urban Research

PITTSBURGH-Once defined by heavy-industry and blue-collar masses, Pittsburgh now hosts the fifth most educated young workforce in the United States, a distinction that groups the city with such bastions of erudition as Boston, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C., according to a recent report in the “Pittsburgh Economic Quarterly” published by the University of Pittsburgh's University Center for Social and Urban Research (UCSUR)....."

This was one of the many reasons why I liked Pittsburgh. It had much of the same feel as Seattle, only with a higher population density, better skyline, and significantly fewer hippies.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:55 pm

OGR3 wrote:

This was one of the many reasons why I liked Pittsburgh. It had much of the same feel as Seattle, only with a higher population density, better skyline, and significantly fewer hippies.
:cry:

skamike

New

Post by skamike » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:14 pm

part of me wants to be accepted for the yuengling (that, and its one of the only schools I applied to with an NHL team in close vicinity)

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:31 am

Bedsole wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

As long as you wear shoes to class and wash your clothes, we'll get along fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:36 am

skamike wrote:part of me wants to be accepted for the yuengling (that, and its one of the only schools I applied to with an NHL team in close vicinity)
My girlfriend's dad is a hockey fanatic but has never been to an NHL game. He'll be visiting, and hopefully buying us tickets.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:46 am

OGR3 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
I'd ask if flip flops count, but since I'm moving from NC, I'll probably never be warm enough up there to want to wear my sandals again.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:53 am

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:00 pm

+1

check out Grandview Ave. in MT. Washington next time your there...pretty nice views as well...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skamike

New

Post by skamike » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:50 pm

OGR3 wrote:
skamike wrote:part of me wants to be accepted for the yuengling (that, and its one of the only schools I applied to with an NHL team in close vicinity)
My girlfriend's dad is a hockey fanatic but has never been to an NHL game. He'll be visiting, and hopefully buying us tickets.
Now is a great time to check out the pens. They have some key players locked up for the long term

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 pm

skamike wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
Now is a great time to check out the pens. They have some key players locked up for the long term

Unfortunately, now is a difficult time to check out the pens (playoff tickets are not easy to come by). But next season is the opening of the new arena. My girlfriend does the pens taxes and toured the facility, and it sounds awesome.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Bedsole wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
I'd ask if flip flops count, but since I'm moving from NC, I'll probably never be warm enough up there to want to wear my sandals again.
The average highs for the summer seem very similar to multiple NC cities, hopefully you can handle the winters!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:15 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
skamike wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

Unfortunately, now is a difficult time to check out the pens (playoff tickets are not easy to come by). But next season is the opening of the new arena. My girlfriend does the pens taxes and toured the facility, and it sounds awesome.
I'm very excited to be in an NHL city. When I visited the open house I went past the new arena and it looked amazing!

I'm also excited to go to some Pirates games. I know they're horrible, but they have some of the cheapest tickets in baseball (and they're second in the NL Central, for now at least).

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:48 pm

OGR3 wrote: I'm also excited to go to some Pirates games. I know they're horrible, but they have some of the cheapest tickets in baseball (and they're second in the NL Central, for now at least).

Pirate games are sweet. The facility is awesome. The food they serve in PNC park is great, Quakersteak Wings are a local favorite.

I am a long time pirates fan, even though their losing streak spans almost 3/4 of my life. I root for them every year. I even watch their games on tv. Sometimes the pirates will have some good players and little glimmers of hope; but I think everyone keeps their expectations low, foreseeing the inevitable freefall. There's a nobility in being a pirates fan, rooting for the underdog, and staying loyal to a team in their tough times. There really are a lot of pirates fans in town.

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:59 pm

very cool pic.
OGR3 wrote:The average highs for the summer seem very similar to multiple NC cities, hopefully you can handle the winters!
Yea, the winter can be bad, but hopefully we have a decent winter coming after the last one. I think the summer makes up for it and you'll appreciate the nice weather more. I really believe western PA has one of the top summer seasons in the country. There are very few places that get so green (obviously not the kind bedsole's into).
Scurredsitless1 wrote:
OGR3 wrote: I'm also excited to go to some Pirates games. I know they're horrible, but they have some of the cheapest tickets in baseball (and they're second in the NL Central, for now at least).

Pirate games are sweet. The facility is awesome. The food they serve in PNC park is great, Quakersteak Wings are a local favorite.

I am a long time pirates fan, even though their losing streak spans almost 3/4 of my life. I root for them every year. I even watch their games on tv. Sometimes the pirates will have some good players and little glimmers of hope; but I think everyone keeps their expectations low, foreseeing the inevitable freefall. There's a nobility in being a pirates fan, rooting for the underdog, and staying loyal to a team in their tough times. There really are a lot of pirates fans in town.
Yeah, man. I've heard the pirates attract roughly 2 million people to the ballpark every year, which is huge for our population. Don't let anyone tell u (any non-pittsburghers on tls) Pittsburgh's not a baseball town. I think the real problem is the owners. They simply developed a successful business model based on keeping costs low, which translates into losing.

ah, well.

raregem

New

Post by raregem » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:23 pm

I just wanted to respond to all of those posters who said Pitt's limit on scholarships is 14K. I received a 19K in scholarship money plus 3K from the endowment. I'm not instate and nowhere near the 161 and 3.4 that others were saying was necessary for auto scholarship. Just giving hope to someone out there looking for more money. Don't believe everything you read on TLS. It's not gospel.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 pm

jack duluoz wrote:
Yeah, man. I've heard the pirates attract roughly 2 million people to the ballpark every year, which is huge for our population. Don't let anyone tell u (any non-pittsburghers on tls) Pittsburgh's not a baseball town. I think the real problem is the owners. They simply developed a successful business model based on keeping costs low, which translates into losing.

ah, well.
ehhh, I'm not too sure how much of a "problem' it is. We have 2 world championship teams in the city..and along with that very pricey tickets for their games. I'm lucky if I have enough money to see one Steelers game a season (in horrible seats). I actually kind of think its nice not having to spend a months worth of pay to get front row seats at a Pirates game. Yea, they suck but i think the Steelers and Pens make up for it. Regardless, it makes for a nice, cheap night.

--and raregem. are you URM? I agree I know ppl who have gotten more than 14k/year, I'm just surprised considering you said you arent at their numbers AND your getting this money so late in the cycle. Also, did you negotiate or just get that off the bat?

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:50 pm

pjo wrote:
jack duluoz wrote:

ah, well.
ehhh, I'm not too sure how much of a "problem' it is. We have 2 world championship teams in the city..and along with that very pricey tickets for their games. I'm lucky if I have enough money to see one Steelers game a season (in horrible seats). I actually kind of think its nice not having to spend a months worth of pay to get front row seats at a Pirates game. Yea, they suck but i think the Steelers and Pens make up for it. Regardless, it makes for a nice, cheap night.

--and raregem. are you URM? I agree I know ppl who have gotten more than 14k/year, I'm just surprised considering you said you arent at their numbers AND your getting this money so late in the cycle. Also, did you negotiate or just get that off the bat?
Yea, i guess it's not a problem in that sense, but i was speaking strictly in terms of winning baseball games. The pirates won't be a winning team as long as they continue to trade all of their top players for money and prospects. But, i agree that it makes a fun and cheap night.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I really wonder what's taking so long for Pitt to make a decision. I've been in review since late January and have the stats necessary for the "auto scholarship." Now I'm just worried that they might be out of money because it's so late in the cycle. I originally applied because they sent me a fee waiver plus info about the scholarship, but since I've applied I've become very interested in the school. I called and they said I should hear by the end of the month. This whole process makes no sense to me sometimes. :?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:02 pm

mhd08 wrote:I really wonder what's taking so long for Pitt to make a decision. I've been in review since late January and have the stats necessary for the "auto scholarship." Now I'm just worried that they might be out of money because it's so late in the cycle. I originally applied because they sent me a fee waiver plus info about the scholarship, but since I've applied I've become very interested in the school. I called and they said I should hear by the end of the month. This whole process makes no sense to me sometimes. :?
weird, i didn't submit til early february

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Bedsole wrote:
mhd08 wrote:I really wonder what's taking so long for Pitt to make a decision. I've been in review since late January and have the stats necessary for the "auto scholarship." Now I'm just worried that they might be out of money because it's so late in the cycle. I originally applied because they sent me a fee waiver plus info about the scholarship, but since I've applied I've become very interested in the school. I called and they said I should hear by the end of the month. This whole process makes no sense to me sometimes. :?
weird, i didn't submit til early february
weird indeed.

ihopeihope

New

Post by ihopeihope » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:55 pm

Bedsole wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

Where in NC will you be coming from? I'll be coming from Asheville. Nice to know a fellow North Carolinian will be there :D

law_lover

New

Post by law_lover » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:58 pm

They probably still have some funding left. I submitted my application in January and was recently put on a scholarship waiting list. They have made me an offer and I am waiting for the final offer. Anyone know the highest merit scholarship and typical awards? Do they give full tuition?

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:21 pm

law_lover wrote:They probably still have some funding left. I submitted my application in January and was recently put on a scholarship waiting list. They have made me an offer and I am waiting for the final offer. Anyone know the highest merit scholarship and typical awards? Do they give full tuition?
I met someone at the open house who was awarded full tuition after they showed the admissions office a $38,000 annual offer from Brooklyn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”