Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Colton

New

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by Colton » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:12 am

beach_terror wrote:Does anyone know where to find pictures of inside/outside the law building. The website just had a verbal description, however I'd like to see if it's possible to see the school before I go visit.

Also, does anyone know where to find employment distribution inside PA itself (and possibly DC/NYC). I've had my heart set on Philadelphia for awhile (born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days), but if I have a reasonable shot of getting back to the Philly market with a Pitt degree, I'll have a ton less debt.
They're spending a ton of money to totally remake the basement [where all the law students hang out] over the summer so it will look totally different when you get here.

People from Philly seem to do a bit better in getting back there. Most of us either want to stay in Pittsburgh or go to DC [from what I've seen]. NYC is a possibility [with top grades or strong connections]. This summer I'm working for a large firm in DC and my best friend is working in NYC for a federal agency, so you'll have options with good grades or if you're a good networker. And withe DC externship program the opportunities are only getting stronger.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:37 am

Colton wrote:
This summer I'm working for a large firm in DC and my best friend is working in NYC for a federal agency, so you'll have options with good grades or if you're a good networker. And withe DC externship program the opportunities are only getting stronger.
Those both sound like awesome 1L gigs. if you don't mind me asking, how well did you guys do 1st semester? Did many 1Ls get hooked up like that?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
Colton wrote:
This summer I'm working for a large firm in DC and my best friend is working in NYC for a federal agency, so you'll have options with good grades or if you're a good networker. And withe DC externship program the opportunities are only getting stronger.
Those both sound like awesome 1L gigs. if you don't mind me asking, how well did you guys do 1st semester? Did many 1Ls get hooked up like that?
The 1L tour guide I had on my visit said she had a pretty solid corporate in-house internship lined up at i think U.S. Steel. All I know is that she didn't think she'd make law review with her grades.

Colton

New

Post by Colton » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
Colton wrote:
Yes, 1L gigs. I did somewhere median/above median - I got the job because of my network. My friend did better than me, top 25% maybe. We don't rank so its impossible to know. I know there are other 1L's who got jobs like ours. Nearly everyone has a job that wanted one, some people are studying abroad though. Of my friends only one doesn't yet have a job this summer. Judges/DA/PD/AG's office are the most popular locations hands down. There are also several people working in house.

Grades are really important, but more important, so much more important, is your ability to network now before school or during school. For real. Your schools alumni events, political campaigns, your uncles birthday. Whatever. Just do it. It will pay dividends.

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 pm

From someone who went on tour or maybe goes there....How are Pitt's exercise facilities/rec rooms? Does our law tuition automatically include those? Is there any particularly close to the law building?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:19 pm

Colton wrote:Yes, 1L gigs. I did somewhere median/above median - I got the job because of my network. My friend did better than me, top 25% maybe. We don't rank so its impossible to know. I know there are other 1L's who got jobs like ours. Nearly everyone has a job that wanted one, some people are studying abroad though. Of my friends only one doesn't yet have a job this summer. Judges/DA/PD/AG's office are the most popular locations hands down. There are also several people working in house.

Grades are really important, but more important, so much more important, is your ability to network now before school or during school. For real. Your schools alumni events, political campaigns, your uncles birthday. Whatever. Just do it. It will pay dividends.
Are a substantial % of these summer setups paying?

Colton

New

Post by Colton » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:42 pm

burvowski wrote:From someone who went on tour or maybe goes there....How are Pitt's exercise facilities/rec rooms? Does our law tuition automatically include those? Is there any particularly close to the law building?
There a several facilities, some right across the street, I usually go up to the petersen events center. Everything is included.

Colton

New

Post by Colton » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Colton wrote:Yes, 1L gigs. I did somewhere median/above median - I got the job because of my network. My friend did better than me, top 25% maybe. We don't rank so its impossible to know. I know there are other 1L's who got jobs like ours. Nearly everyone has a job that wanted one, some people are studying abroad though. Of my friends only one doesn't yet have a job this summer. Judges/DA/PD/AG's office are the most popular locations hands down. There are also several people working in house.

Are a substantial % of these summer setups paying?
No. Some do some don't. Some people are part of PLISF and they got grants for $3,200. I think 30 1Ls get them.

g8t13

New

Post by g8t13 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:10 am

Has anyone gotten money to visit Pitt? I saw on some other boards that sometimes admissions helps you pay for a trip.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:29 pm

g8t13 wrote:Has anyone gotten money to visit Pitt? I saw on some other boards that sometimes admissions helps you pay for a trip.
Pitt told me they don't have the resources to provide travel stipends. I visited from Washington, D.C.

hushu

New

Post by hushu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Just received the Dean's Scholarship in the amount of $12,000 per year (in-state).
That seals that deal for me! I'm coming, Pitt Law!

greyhoodies

New

Post by greyhoodies » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:00 pm

in Friday by email, tuition scholarship of 10k per year came today

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Is it bad if I'm not sure whether I'm considered an in-state or out-of-state resident for Pitt? When will I find out? When I get my tuition bill?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:21 pm

burvowski wrote:Is it bad if I'm not sure whether I'm considered an in-state or out-of-state resident for Pitt? When will I find out? When I get my tuition bill?
What did you put on your application as "permanent address"?

Where is your drivers licence from?

Did you file instate taxes?

Are you from in state and are going to school out of state? If that is your only hangup you're probably okay. If you are considered a dependent on your parents taxes, and they live in PA, you're probably fine. If it is the other way around, you are most likely not a resident.

edit: i intended these questions to be rhetorical... I think they are the main points in establishing residency.
Last edited by Scurredsitless1 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Is anyone here looking for a roommate? I'm looking for another girl to share a 2 bedroom with in Shady Side. *Must be okay with a cat.* Let me know!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:49 pm

mhd08 wrote:Is anyone here looking for a roommate? I'm looking for another girl to share a 2 bedroom with in Shady Side. *Must be okay with a cat.* Let me know!
I'm looking for a girl to share my 1 bedroom in Shadyside. I'm a guy, and I don't care much for cats. :-P

Seriously though, I would like to know if any of you will be in Pittsburgh during July and early August. I am most likely moving up during the first week of July, and I don't know a single person in Pennsylvania, let alone Pittsburgh. Would be nice to do something other than sit around my apartment for that month and a half.

Also, for anyone who might have committed since I last posted this, x up in this thread:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 25&t=83123

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:48 pm

I'm moving up to Pittsburgh in mid-May. I'll be there for most of the summer except for vacation in August

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:10 pm

So close to sealing the deal with Pitt but Temple just keeps teasing me. I have to let 'em both know by Friday. Everyone is telling me to go to Philly but my wallet is telling me to go to Pittsburgh.

I'd consider sharing a 2-bedroom in Shadyside (within walking distance to the Giant Eagle and/or Whole Foods/Trader Joes and bus lines to campus). I won't be moving until late-July/early-August since I have a full time gig in DC. I'm determined to rake in every penny I can before school starts.

I have a cat (and she is a precious snuggle-bug who will chase and kill any pests she comes across) and I'd feel more comfortable living with another lady who is a few years out of undergrad, like myself. Tidy drug-free, light drinkers.

Oh, and I'm a hippy-dippy, tree-hugging vegetarian.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:09 pm

smartin wrote:Oh, and I'm a hippy-dippy, tree-hugging vegetarian.
It's fine. I eat enough meat to compensate for vegetarians and vegans alike. Double down ftw? (mostly joking)

Perhaps we can still be friends.

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Unfortanatly, I am not a light drinker.

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Bedsole wrote:
smartin wrote:Oh, and I'm a hippy-dippy, tree-hugging vegetarian.
It's fine. I eat enough meat to compensate for vegetarians and vegans alike. Double down ftw? (mostly joking)

Perhaps we can still be friends.
We can still be friends! My vegetarianism is a completely personal choice and I do not judge those who eat meat, so have another slice bacon on me. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:58 pm

I will be moving to Pittsburgh on August first if anyone wants to arrange a class of 2013 get together or something before school starts. We can start up bar review early!

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I will be moving to Pittsburgh on August first if anyone wants to arrange a class of 2013 get together or something before school starts. We can start up bar review early!
Yes, brilliant idea!! I'll be moving the second week of August. Maybe we can do something one or two weeks before orientation so most people are moved in.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:24 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I will be moving to Pittsburgh on August first if anyone wants to arrange a class of 2013 get together or something before school starts. We can start up bar review early!
Sounds good to me. I'll be there a month prior.

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:15 am

Bedsole wrote:
Sounds good to me. I'll be there a month prior.
Also down. I decided on Pitt for sure this weekend, so see you all there! I'm thinking of moving in the first week of August as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”