Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Compaq1984

Bronze

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:39 pm

georgewr11 wrote:Finally heard from Pitt. Complete on 1/7, UR on 2/1 and they finally accepted me! On the scholarship waitlist too!
Congrats!

ihopeihope

New

Post by ihopeihope » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:34 pm

georgewr11 wrote:Finally heard from Pitt. Complete on 1/7, UR on 2/1 and they finally accepted me! On the scholarship waitlist too!
Congratulations! Did you hear via snail mail or email?

georgewr11

New

Post by georgewr11 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 pm

ihopeihope wrote:
Last edited by georgewr11 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ihopeihope

New

Post by ihopeihope » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 pm

georgewr11 wrote:
ihopeihope wrote:
Congratulations! Did you hear via snail mail or email?

I got a small envelope in the mail

thanks, I'm hoping for the same 'small envelope'!

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 am

georgewr11 wrote:
b.j. wrote:

Good for you, man. Did they give you any indication that they had made a decision? They told when I was under review, and responded to a question the first time I sent an additional e-mail, but not this past time. Very frustrating.
I got an email about a week ago telling that I was still under review and to be patient basically. I also emailed them a couple times throughout the process.
I sort of want to call, but I am not sure what I would say. I started to be under review 2/24, so it's been a month. That's not that long, but I've been under review and either accepted or rejected (mostly rejected at this point, blah) at other schools, like Villanova (reject) and Hofstra (accept). Maybe this is a good sign, but maybe not. I just kind of want to know already, you know?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:57 am

b.j. wrote:
georgewr11 wrote:
b.j. wrote:

Good for you, man. Did they give you any indication that they had made a decision? They told when I was under review, and responded to a question the first time I sent an additional e-mail, but not this past time. Very frustrating.
I got an email about a week ago telling that I was still under review and to be patient basically. I also emailed them a couple times throughout the process.
I sort of want to call, but I am not sure what I would say. I started to be under review 2/24, so it's been a month. That's not that long, but I've been under review and either accepted or rejected (mostly rejected at this point, blah) at other schools, like Villanova (reject) and Hofstra (accept). Maybe this is a good sign, but maybe not. I just kind of want to know already, you know?
--ImageRemoved--

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:08 am

--ImageRemoved--
Thanks for that. :D

I'm going to drive myself nuts for the next three days because I won't be home until 6:00 today and until at least 9:00-10:00 Friday and Saturday but likely won't be able to intercept the mail before I leave for the day. It's probably not going to be made any easier by the fact that, with my luck, the responses won't even come, so I will have anticipated coming home all day only to find the process has to start right up again.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 pm

That was my fortune cookie message yesterday. Needless to say, I'm expecting word today or tomorrow.

Mr.P88

New

Post by Mr.P88 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:39 pm

Has anyone successfully negotiated additional money from Pitt. I currently was offered 14K per year but considering I have a 20/K a year offer from PSU, a full ride from MSU, and I am out of state I am likely to withdraw unless additional money is offered.

I sent a letter to Meme about a month ago and she said she would take it to the committee but could not promise an increase. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

As mentioned before it seems they are offering substantially less in scholarship money than in years before, I can't help but wonder why such a sudden decrease.

If anyone should be kind enough to give me advice as to whether I should just withdraw now and take a scholarship elsewhere or wait it out and put a deposit down for a seat I might not be using?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:44 pm

well let me urge you to not go to MSU as Michigan is falling apart. Otherwise, Pitt doesn't really give out more than 14k to out of state people generally

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:14 pm

Mr.P88 wrote:Has anyone successfully negotiated additional money from Pitt. I currently was offered 14K per year but considering I have a 20/K a year offer from PSU, a full ride from MSU, and I am out of state I am likely to withdraw unless additional money is offered.

I sent a letter to Meme about a month ago and she said she would take it to the committee but could not promise an increase. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

As mentioned before it seems they are offering substantially less in scholarship money than in years before, I can't help but wonder why such a sudden decrease.

If anyone should be kind enough to give me advice as to whether I should just withdraw now and take a scholarship elsewhere or wait it out and put a deposit down for a seat I might not be using?
i have 15k from villanova and meme replied with a cost analysis telling me it still costs less to go to pitt than nova (which is true). and yes, i have 14k a year from pitt as well. and the answer meme gave me was a no.

But im waiting for need-based grants. if i get some at pitt, pitt might be looking more like a better choice.

also, to posters, im a little worried about pittsburgh's generally population declining (?) is this true?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Mr.P88 wrote:Has anyone successfully negotiated additional money from Pitt. I currently was offered 14K per year but considering I have a 20/K a year offer from PSU, a full ride from MSU, and I am out of state I am likely to withdraw unless additional money is offered.

Edit: RC fail.
Last edited by FunkyJD on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:19 pm

As per an email I received today in response to a request for more money I was told that endowment award notifications will begin to be sent out (potentially) at the end of March

So essentially deposits will have to be put down first

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:24 pm

keemos wrote:As per an email I received today in response to a request for more money I was told that endowment award notifications will begin to be sent out (potentially) at the end of March

that's one of the reasons why i'm requesting for an extension for the 1st deposit. i'm really banking on them giving me $$$ on top of the 14k.

the interest rates for loans are RIDICULOUS. talk about loan sharks.

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:30 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
keemos wrote:As per an email I received today in response to a request for more money I was told that endowment award notifications will begin to be sent out (potentially) at the end of March

that's one of the reasons why i'm requesting for an extension for the 1st deposit. i'm really banking on them giving me $$$ on top of the 14k.

How did you go about asking for an extension? I never thought about doing that. All the other schools I am considering have April 15th deadlines.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:32 pm

keemos wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

How did you go about asking for an extension? I never thought about doing that. All the other schools I am considering have April 15th deadlines.
well, im really deciding between pitt and nova. i called them this morning asking about it and the lady told me to send them an e-mail requesting. she also said it is highly likely that it would get approved. I don't know if they would actually give me 15th as the deadline but i indicated in the e-mail that I would appreciate the 15th.

Mr.P88

New

Post by Mr.P88 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:50 pm

Does anyone know about the endowments? From the acceptance letter, they looked to be pretty promising. After a glance at their website I am a bit doubtful as a lot are for public interest and PA residents. Has anyone heard about these?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Mr.P88 wrote:Does anyone know about the endowments? From the acceptance letter, they looked to be pretty promising. After a glance at their website I am a bit doubtful as a lot are for public interest and PA residents. Has anyone heard about these?

that's what im a little worried about.

hopefully the biglaws present in pittsburgh likes Pitt law.

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:15 pm

In at Pitt today! Very excited, probably going to visit next weekend.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:21 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:In at Pitt today! Very excited, probably going to visit next weekend.
What are your numbers? When did you go complete? And when did they tell you they had made a decision, if they told you at all, and how did they tell you?

I'm sorry to seem so demanding, but Pitt is pretty much the last school that is relatively close to my home state where I haven't been rejected from that I might a good shot at. I'm very eager to hear.

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:39 pm

b.j. wrote:
nyjfanjmk wrote:In at Pitt today! Very excited, probably going to visit next weekend.
What are your numbers? When did you go complete? And when did they tell you they had made a decision, if they told you at all, and how did they tell you?

I'm sorry to seem so demanding, but Pitt is pretty much the last school that is relatively close to my home state where I haven't been rejected from that I might a good shot at. I'm very eager to hear.
2.95/159, complete in early February, received by mail in a small envelope. Best of luck to you and everyone else still waiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ihopeihope

New

Post by ihopeihope » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:53 am

In via snail mail (small envelope) today!!!!! oos 159/3.57. I called on Tuesday to check on my status and she put a note in my file (admissions met on Wed). Good luck everyone--I suggest calling if you are still interested.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:42 pm

So, I just checked an empty mailbox again, died a little inside, and decided to call. The lady I spoke to in admissions was very nice about it, and told me that the committee still had my file (went under review 2/24). She asked me if Pitt was one of my top choices, to which I responded with a very enthusiastic "yes, but seat deposits are coming" sort of thing. She told me that she would make a note of it, see what she could do, and that hopefully I'd be hearing in the next week.

edit: congrats, ihopeihope!

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:21 pm

ihopeihope wrote:In via snail mail (small envelope) today!!!!! oos 159/3.57. I called on Tuesday to check on my status and she put a note in my file (admissions met on Wed). Good luck everyone--I suggest calling if you are still interested.
Congrats to you and GL to those still waiting...

I just got done with ASD and I'm now committed...
I was very impressed with everything... Student speakers were great; Alumni speakers were great; Faculty speakers were great; I'm sold...
Most of all, I liked that they didnt try to sugarcoat everything... Everyone was very up front and honest about everything...

See you next Fall!

(time to find some bars...)

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
ihopeihope wrote:In via snail mail (small envelope) today!!!!! oos 159/3.57. I called on Tuesday to check on my status and she put a note in my file (admissions met on Wed). Good luck everyone--I suggest calling if you are still interested.
Congrats to you and GL to those still waiting...

I just got done with ASD and I'm now committed...
I was very impressed with everything... Student speakers were great; Alumni speakers were great; Faculty speakers were great; I'm sold...
Most of all, I liked that they didnt try to sugarcoat everything... Everyone was very up front and honest about everything...

See you next Fall!

(time to find some bars...)

I thought the student panel was unimpressive. But everything was great, I'm happy with my decision to attend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”