Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
reverendt

Bronze

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by reverendt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:22 pm

champ33 wrote:is anybody else thinking of attending with absolutely no prior experience or ties with Pittsburgh? I'm a little worried about this as it does not seem like a common thing to do for law school, but at the same time feel like I need a big change.
I'm a rising 3L at Pitt who came with no ties to the city at all.
It hasn't seemed to hurt me (of course I don't have the advantage that someone local with ties to the legal community has....)
What specifically are you concerned about?

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:15 pm

reverendt wrote:
champ33 wrote:is anybody else thinking of attending with absolutely no prior experience or ties with Pittsburgh? I'm a little worried about this as it does not seem like a common thing to do for law school, but at the same time feel like I need a big change.
I'm a rising 3L at Pitt who came with no ties to the city at all.
It hasn't seemed to hurt me (of course I don't have the advantage that someone local with ties to the legal community has....)
What specifically are you concerned about?
I suppose mostly social life and ease of finding interesting things to do and become involved with. I guess this might not be a concern as studying probably consumes your entire life.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:17 pm

jack duluoz wrote:a-3
C1

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm moving across the country and I couldn't be more excited about the prospect of living in Pittsburgh. I was accepted to schools in DC, NYC, Philadelphia and others, and I enjoyed the city of Pittsburgh the most by far. Cost of living is super low, it's got a billion things to do and the city is beautiful. Although Pitt was ranked lower than a few schools I looked at, it just felt like home.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:40 pm

champ33 wrote:
I suppose mostly social life and ease of finding interesting things to do and become involved with. I guess this might not be a concern as studying probably consumes your entire life.
Studying will consume much of your time, but I think it's important to have some social outlet as well.
In my experience everyone was pretty friendly, and unless you're completely introverted you'll find stuff to do/people to hang out with.
I think the big social break-through for many of us was the beer-pong competition in the basement of the lawschool about a month into the fall semester. They have it every year. It's a great social mixer.
As far as things to become involved in....there's some student groups....but in general, as you said, studying will take up much of that time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32 pm

jack duluoz wrote:a-3
+1

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:41 pm

a-3 ?

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:28 pm

those are the names of the sections that just came out today.

the letters stand for the 80 student sections for main classes, then the numbers break each section into ~25 ppl legal writing classes

you can be in:

A. 1 ,2, or 3

B.1 ,2, or 3

C.1 ,2, or 3

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:31 am

Has anyone here heard anything about movement on the wait list? I've been on it since April 2. The last time I heard anything was June 8, when I was told the second deposit deadline had passed a spot might be available. I just wish I could know one way or the other so I could plan my life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AverageGuy

New

Post by AverageGuy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:14 am

Any tips for transfer students? Is Pitt on a C/B-/B curve? Did you have any multiple choice or open book exams? Is it difficult to get into the clinics and upper level classes that you want? Any parking garages offer parking permits, and cost?

Thanks.

vikd88

New

Post by vikd88 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:14 am

b.j. wrote:Has anyone here heard anything about movement on the wait list? I've been on it since April 2. The last time I heard anything was June 8, when I was told the second deposit deadline had passed a spot might be available. I just wish I could know one way or the other so I could plan my life.
Just received an e-mail today "Final Wait List-University of Pittsburgh School of Law" stating that final cuts have been made for the WLers. Anyone else?

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:32 am

vikd88 wrote:
b.j. wrote:Has anyone here heard anything about movement on the wait list? I've been on it since April 2. The last time I heard anything was June 8, when I was told the second deposit deadline had passed a spot might be available. I just wish I could know one way or the other so I could plan my life.
Just received an e-mail today "Final Wait List-University of Pittsburgh School of Law" stating that final cuts have been made for the WLers. Anyone else?
I got that same e-mail earlier this morning. I don't know how likely it is that I will be taken off the list. Any ideas on when I or anyone else might find out?

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Any tips for transfer students? Is Pitt on a C/B-/B curve? Did you have any multiple choice or open book exams? Is it difficult to get into the clinics and upper level classes that you want? Any parking garages offer parking permits, and cost?

Thanks.
It's on a B curve. A few multiple choice exams, and a fair amount of mixed multiple choice/essay. The majority are open book. Some you can even bring commercial supplements. A few closed book....it goes by whatever the professor wants.
I haven't had much problem getting into the classes I want, but I always sign up for the maximum # of credits (figuring if I get everything I can drop a class). I usually get most of what I want/need. I know a few people who have had a worse time with this, but generally it doesn't seem to be too big a problem.
Clinics....sign up ASAP. They tend to fill up. If you wait you might not get in.
Parking...most people take the bus, which I recommend if you live in the city. There is a parking garage next to the school and another one down a few blocks. I think the one down a few is cheaper (somehow $9 comes to mind.) I don't know anything about permits.
There's also metered parking on the street, but you generally will have to run out to feed the meter a few times.
About 5 blocks away are a few big pay-lots that are $4 for all day. Probably the most cost effective way to park...just keep in mind that you'll have to hump up a BIG hill.
Again, I recommend the bus unless you live outside the city.
I'm friendly with a guy who transferred in from a T4. He seems to have had a very positive experience at Pitt. I hope you do as well!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”