Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
OGR3

Silver

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by OGR3 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:55 pm

scionb4 wrote:I'm waiting to hear back, though I'm (hopefully not wrongfully) pretty confident considering they sought me out and offered me a fee waiver. Does anyone know how they stack up against the other Pennsylvania schools in terms of job prospects? Between UPenn, Temple, Nova, and Penn State, I'm just a bit nervous about that.
No one sought you out. CRS is completely automated.

As to Pitt's strength. It dominates Pittsburgh, obviously. But it has relatively limited reach beyond Pennsylvania.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:56 pm

OGR3 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:I'm waiting to hear back, though I'm (hopefully not wrongfully) pretty confident considering they sought me out and offered me a fee waiver. Does anyone know how they stack up against the other Pennsylvania schools in terms of job prospects? Between UPenn, Temple, Nova, and Penn State, I'm just a bit nervous about that.

As to Pitt's strength. It dominates Pittsburgh, obviously. But it has relatively limited reach beyond Pennsylvania.
Ouch. That makes me more nervous.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:58 pm

scionb4 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

What is your probability via LSP? It's been pretty reliable for Pitt this cycle.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Well UPenn trumps all obviously. The rest, kind of depends on the market, for instance,

Pittsburgh Market would be Pitt>Duquesne>Villanova>PSU>Temple... although I think the reason why there aren't many temple grads in Pittsburgh is because they choose to stay in Philly, not necessarily because they can't get a job in pittsburgh

Philadelphia market would be Temple>Villanova>Pitt>PSU... but I've heard rumors that Pitt places equally as well as Villanova grads in Philly, not sure how much truth there is to that.

The rest of PA is basically anyone's game, they're all equal

bkenney2

New

Post by bkenney2 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:00 pm

Has anyone heard anything from them recently? I went complete on Dec 3rd, am I in for a long wait?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:01 pm

OGR3 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

What is your probability via LSP? It's been pretty reliable for Pitt this cycle.
"Strong Consider" 44%

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:05 pm

scionb4 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
OGR3 wrote:

"Strong Consider" 44%
I wouldn't be too worried. That's a solid target.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:06 pm

[/quote]I wouldn't be too worried. That's a solid target.[/quote]

I got into Denver, and they're similarly ranked. I think I'd rather go to Pitt. Colorado would be very nice, though.

Bruin2009

New

Post by Bruin2009 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:08 pm

bkenney2 wrote:Has anyone heard anything from them recently? I went complete on Dec 3rd, am I in for a long wait?
app received 1/7/10
i called them a million times to make sure my app was complete.
under review 2/1/10

they need to give me a decision asap!

i've been lucky this cycle. the schools have primarily been very prompt since i got 6 decisions within weeks... but my luck has ran out...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bkenney2

New

Post by bkenney2 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Bruin2009 wrote:
bkenney2 wrote:Has anyone heard anything from them recently? I went complete on Dec 3rd, am I in for a long wait?
app received 1/7/10
i called them a million times to make sure my app was complete.
under review 2/1/10

they need to give me a decision asap!

i've been lucky this cycle. the schools have primarily been very prompt since i got 6 decisions within weeks... but my luck has ran out...

GL, we have similar numbers so hopefully we will both get a decision soon. I am currently an UG at DePaul and I saw that you got in with money. PM if you want any info on the building/campus/area.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:15 pm

i got in 6 weeks ago and haven't gotten a scholarship offer. i'm i not going to get one?

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:17 pm

pitt gives scholarships with the acceptance letter, so i'd say it is unlikely

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:23 pm

was it unrealistic of me to expect some money with a 166 3.0?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bklyngreenlp

New

Post by bklyngreenlp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:46 pm

twert wrote:was it unrealistic of me to expect some money with a 166 3.0?
The Dean's scholarship requires a minimum GPA of 3.4. However, you might be considered for their other 1L scholarship opportunities, which are listed on their web site http://www.law.pitt.edu/financialaid/scholarships. If Pitt is one of your top choices, with your LSAT score, I'd inquire about applying for one of those.

BennyC

New

Post by BennyC » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm in at Pitt right now with a half tuition scholarship, but today I just got a full scholarship at Penn State. Do you think I can somehow get more money out of Pitt? How would I go about trying? Any suggestions?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:40 pm

In at Pitt today via snail mail. It was a regular envelope which I assumed was a rejection, but it was pretty thick and when I opened it had this gold "Pitt Law" pin holding all the papers together. I doubt I will get any money from them as I have 3.26, 158, but I am quite interested even with sticker and at this point am almost certain that I will be attending.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:43 pm

I have yet to even get an "under review" e-mail. I tried e-mailing them last week and have yet to hear anything. Weird. I guess I'll just try calling later in the week to see if I can get some sort of update. Submitted in early December.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:50 pm

keg411 wrote:I have yet to even get an "under review" e-mail. I tried e-mailing them last week and have yet to hear anything. Weird. I guess I'll just try calling later in the week to see if I can get some sort of update. Submitted in early December.
They aren't very quick when it comes to emails. Here's my experience -

1) "App Received" email - 11/23 (That email says they'll send another when app is complete and ready for review)
2) I hear nothing, so I send an email asking if my app is complete - 1/4
3) Complete email - 1/5 (That email says that I'll get another email when my file is being forward to the AdCom)
4) Acceptance letter dated 1/8

So, as far as I can tell, while they don't keep up with their emails at all they are keeping up with the actual applicants. I truly believe, and I think the evidence proves, that if I had not sent the 1/4 email I would not have heard anything from Pitt until I received the Jan 8-dated acceptance letter.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:12 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:In at Pitt today via snail mail. It was a regular envelope which I assumed was a rejection, but it was pretty thick and when I opened it had this gold "Pitt Law" pin holding all the papers together. I doubt I will get any money from them as I have 3.26, 158, but I am quite interested even with sticker and at this point am almost certain that I will be attending.

Congrats! Pitt is one of my top choices as well...
When did you submit/go complete?
Thanks!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Nevermind my whining about the e-mail. IN at Pitt via snail mail :). By USNWR rank, this will be my best acceptance this cycle!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:In at Pitt today via snail mail. It was a regular envelope which I assumed was a rejection, but it was pretty thick and when I opened it had this gold "Pitt Law" pin holding all the papers together. I doubt I will get any money from them as I have 3.26, 158, but I am quite interested even with sticker and at this point am almost certain that I will be attending.

Congrats! Pitt is one of my top choices as well...
When did you submit/go complete?
Thanks!
I submitted 11/24, email received 11/25 that they received the info. Never got a "application complete" or "under review" email. Snail Mail dated 02/05.

I actually didn't receive ANY info from them from the time I submitted to the time I got the acceptance. I called twice and no one answered, my emails were also never answered. From what I can tell the residency establishment for 2L and 3L is pretty standard so should be easy getting PA residency as long as you'll be living there and get a license. Good luck to you in your cycle. I am currently waiting on my girlfriend to get in (she has 3.46, 160) and then I will be 100% attending. Good luck, hope to see you next year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:26 pm

twert wrote:was it unrealistic of me to expect some money with a 166 3.0?
I got a small scholarship with numbers a little lower than that.
Granted, I had many years of business experience so that may have made me more attractive....but you've got better numbers.

Here's the catch...I had to ask for it. In fact, I hounded them for a scholarship even AFTER I paid to hold my seat. They finally coughed up 5K a year just to shut me up.
So keep asking (just don't mention my name!)

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Bruin2009 wrote:quick questions: how long does it take to go from under review to decision made?

thank you :)

Bump

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 pm

Applied late November, accepted today via snail-mail with 14K per year. Anybody know if out of staters can gain in-state tuition for 2L?

pantherfan

New

Post by pantherfan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:45 pm

residency is easily acquired for years 2 and 3

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”