Pitt 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dr. Review

Gold

Re: Pitt 2010

Post by Dr. Review » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Students admitted prior to March 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Bedsole wrote:Students admitted prior to March 1st earning a high LSAT score of 161 or better and an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) are guaranteed the Dean’s Scholarship.
Hmm strange, mine didn't state a cutoff date: "Admitted students who have attained a 3.4 undergraduate QPA and a 161 or higher on the LSAT are guaranteed our Dean's Scholarship!"

Oh well, I'm still keeping my hopes up.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Yeah. GL! I'll be at Pitt in the fall, and I'd love to see plenty of TLSers there with me. I pulled that quote off the site, and it's been that way as long as I've been looking. I pulled down some money after a bit of negotiating just before the deposit was due, so hopefully you have similar luck.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:16 am

pjo wrote:
jack duluoz wrote:
Yeah, man. I've heard the pirates attract roughly 2 million people to the ballpark every year, which is huge for our population. Don't let anyone tell u (any non-pittsburghers on tls) Pittsburgh's not a baseball town. I think the real problem is the owners. They simply developed a successful business model based on keeping costs low, which translates into losing.

ah, well.
ehhh, I'm not too sure how much of a "problem' it is.......... Regardless, it makes for a nice, cheap night.

I know this was a while back, and I don't mean to call you out here, but this is a horrible attitude for a sports fan. In a sense, it's rooting against the home team to keep the tickets affordable, which is really mean spirited. The pirates have had 17 straight losing seasons, that's a problem. Every one of those seasons have been profitable. It's a sports franchaise run like no other. It's like "the producers".

Before PNC was built, there was a referendum to see if there was tax payer support to keep the pirates and build the new stadium. If the people knew the intentions of management, there is no way people would have supported it. (As a pirate fan, I'm glad they did)

Disclaimer, i edited out most of your post to show i read it, and may have missed the intention.

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 am

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
pjo wrote:
jack duluoz wrote:
Yeah, man. I've heard the pirates attract roughly 2 million people to the ballpark every year, which is huge for our population. Don't let anyone tell u (any non-pittsburghers on tls) Pittsburgh's not a baseball town. I think the real problem is the owners. They simply developed a successful business model based on keeping costs low, which translates into losing.

ah, well.
ehhh, I'm not too sure how much of a "problem' it is.......... Regardless, it makes for a nice, cheap night.

I know this was a while back, and I don't mean to call you out here, but this is a horrible attitude for a sports fan. In a sense, it's rooting against the home team to keep the tickets affordable, which is really mean spirited. The pirates have had 17 straight losing seasons, that's a problem. Every one of those seasons have been profitable. It's a sports franchaise run like no other. It's like "the producers".

Before PNC was built, there was a referendum to see if there was tax payer support to keep the pirates and build the new stadium. If the people knew the intentions of management, there is no way people would have supported it. (As a pirate fan, I'm glad they did)

Disclaimer, i edited out most of your post to show i read it, and may have missed the intention.
I think it's a matter of what someone is looking for in going to a baseball game. If you're a diehard Pirates fan then sure, the direction of the team is troubling, to say the least. But if you're just a casual fan who's looking to have a nice night out watching baseball, then there's no need to get worked up about the ownership. But then again, I'm a Mets fan, so take my opinion with a large grain of salt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:48 am

If anyone is in the city this weekend, there are some cool things going on you might be interested in. On friday night there is a "gallery crawl" in the "cultural district", if you're into seeing some live bands and weird art. It's free.

--LinkRemoved--

And on saturday, there is a volunteer event schenley park. I think people will be planting trees, cleaning up the park, and maintaining trails. There is free food and more live music.

http://www.pittsburghparks.org/volunteerdays

WithGrace23

New

Post by WithGrace23 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:28 pm

For those who just got accepted yesterday... the Dean's Scholarship is still out there, even for those not admitted by March 1st. I got an email offering a dean's scholarship of $15,000 a year (+I am in state). Pitt is looking very good to me right now.

hushu

New

Post by hushu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:45 pm

WithGrace23 wrote:For those who just got accepted yesterday... the Dean's Scholarship is still out there, even for those not admitted by March 1st. I got an email offering a dean's scholarship of $15,000 a year (+I am in state). Pitt is looking very good to me right now.

That sounds great. Congrats!

How did you find out your acceptance? Did they send you an email or let you know through snail mail?

Still waiting for a decision from Pitt...

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:59 pm

WithGrace23 wrote:For those who just got accepted yesterday... the Dean's Scholarship is still out there, even for those not admitted by March 1st. I got an email offering a dean's scholarship of $15,000 a year (+I am in state). Pitt is looking very good to me right now.
I also got my acceptance yesterday via e-mail, followed by an e-mail today notifying me that I've been awarded the Dean's Scholarship in the amount of $14,000 per year. I'm 99% sure I'll be there in the fall. Hopefully my visit next week will make it 100%!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 pm

mhd08 wrote:
I also got my acceptance yesterday via e-mail, followed by an e-mail today notifying me that I've been awarded the Dean's Scholarship in the amount of $14,000 per year. I'm 99% sure I'll be there in the fall. Hopefully my visit next week will make it 100%!
Congrats! That's the way I went into my visit, and I liked it so much while I was there I dropped a deposit and found an apartment.

WithGrace23

New

Post by WithGrace23 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:11 pm

I hope its not too hard to find an apartment this late (my sis is an undergrad at Pitt and says that this time of year most of the better apartments are taken).

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:14 pm

WithGrace23 wrote:I hope its not too hard to find an apartment this late (my sis is an undergrad at Pitt and says that this time of year most of the better apartments are taken).
I didn't have much trouble a few weeks ago, but I really only looked at 2-3 places before I found one I really liked. It also doesn't help if you're willing to be flexible with your move in date.

CivilDisobedience

New

Post by CivilDisobedience » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:27 pm

14 K with the Dean Scholarship listed, even though my stats were not auto Dean Scholarship.

I am waiting back from Case to see if they offer something that is in the same range of scholarship in ratio to tuition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:18 pm

WithGrace23 wrote:I hope its not too hard to find an apartment this late (my sis is an undergrad at Pitt and says that this time of year most of the better apartments are taken).

There's so many places, it shouldn't be a problem, at all. You can be pretty picky.

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:

There's so many places, it shouldn't be a problem, at all. You can be pretty picky.
My tour guide from when I visited told the group that most places in Shadyside become available in May because that's when law students tend to leave. I'd imagine the "better apartments" being discussed above are in Oakland.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:33 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

My tour guide from when I visited told the group that most places in Shadyside become available in May because that's when law students tend to leave. I'd imagine the "better apartments" being discussed above are in Oakland.
A 1L I talked to when I visited told me to steer clear of a lot of Oakland.

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:48 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:

yeah, the UG students tend to jump on the apartment hunt pretty early in oakland. I lived in shadyside for two years and signed one lease in july and another in like june. You'll be fine, just don't wait til the absolute last minute, and research multiple outlets.

Lobos is a huge rental company and you're going to see their number everywhere. I went with them one year and they sucked. They were the worst when the lease started to end and they consistently did unannounced drop-bys to show the apartment. i think they forgot we were students so they'd just walk in the apartment during the week to show it, and my roommate or I would be there. smh. i'm sure they showed it multiple times when we werent there, without telling us, which is completely illegal, i believe. smh.

i'd try to lease from a smaller rental company if possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm

yes about avoiding Oakland... I wouldnt call it the "ghetto" but it certainly is not as nice as other areas in says Squirrel Hill and Shadyside... not to mention the obviously huge UG population there as well (oakland)

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm

So admissions sent out and email the other day basically saying "we have more seats and more money, but you didn't deposit, you still interested?" I said yes I am, and I just got a 5k scholarship. Considering I'm instate, it makes it around 19k for tuition... game changer. Eek. Now I think I have to schedule a last minute visit.

Anyone else receive something like this?

Actually, she said it's not merit based, but it's an "endowment award". What the eff is the difference?

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:46 pm

beach_terror wrote: Actually, she said it's not merit based, but it's an "endowment award". What the eff is the difference?
I think the only real difference is where the money comes from. I think the endowments are from alumni or something.
You probably be asked to write a thank you card to whomever funded the endowment at the beginning of every school year.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:53 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:
pjo wrote:
jack duluoz wrote:

ah, well.

I think it's a matter of what someone is looking for in going to a baseball game. If you're a diehard Pirates fan then sure, the direction of the team is troubling, to say the least. But if you're just a casual fan who's looking to have a nice night out watching baseball, then there's no need to get worked up about the ownership. But then again, I'm a Mets fan, so take my opinion with a large grain of salt.
Yea thats basically what I was trying to get at. I would by no means claim myslef as a "diehard" pirates fan (but I'm def a die hard steelers fan) if the situation was switched then yea I'd totally be with you scurredsitless1. I'm just saying from my perspective (I personally enjoy hockey and football much more than baseball) its cool with me bc the only way Id go to a baseball game is if the tickets are cheap.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Once you commit to Pitt, x up in this thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 25&t=83123

It's kind of lonely in there for Pitt kids.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Does anyone know where to find pictures of inside/outside the law building. The website just had a verbal description, however I'd like to see if it's possible to see the school before I go visit.

Also, does anyone know where to find employment distribution inside PA itself (and possibly DC/NYC). I've had my heart set on Philadelphia for awhile (born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days), but if I have a reasonable shot of getting back to the Philly market with a Pitt degree, I'll have a ton less debt.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:34 pm

beach_terror wrote:Does anyone know where to find pictures of inside/outside the law building. The website just had a verbal description, however I'd like to see if it's possible to see the school before I go visit.

Also, does anyone know where to find employment distribution inside PA itself (and possibly DC/NYC). I've had my heart set on Philadelphia for awhile (born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days), but if I have a reasonable shot of getting back to the Philly market with a Pitt degree, I'll have a ton less debt.
The school is nothing special... not run down and not brand new.. personally, I could care less about the building as long as it is not terrible....

as far as employment, you can check some of the bigger firms and their "rosters" through this link... --LinkRemoved--

you can also search law firms that do OCI at various schools...

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:34 pm

beach_terror wrote:Does anyone know where to find pictures of inside/outside the law building. The website just had a verbal description, however I'd like to see if it's possible to see the school before I go visit.

I'll try to take a few pics and post them on monday. In the meantime here's the outside.
More/interior pics here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barco_Law_Building

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”