McGeorge

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
baboon309

Re: McGeorge

Postby baboon309 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 am

usuaggie wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:This paid transportation to legal scholars day is pretty sweet! I'm definitely going :-) I just booked my flight.

I would go if I could afford the 99 dollar hotel room. im so poor right now

Stay in the hostel then.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 am

I was already planning on visiting any school I was seriously considering. Law school is such a large investment of money, even with the scholly from McGeorge, and time that I definitely want to take the time to learn a little about each institution and see where I'd be spending the next 3 + years. Plus I live in SoCal, so Sacramento isn't that far away.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 am

Not much action going on with McGeorge lately? According to LSN last the decisions (only like two or three) were made 2/3/10. Can we expect a mass decision mail out sooooooon? Fingers crossed....

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Withdrawing with 20k per year. Good luck everyone!

izzytovar

Postby izzytovar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:46 pm

When have some of you gone complete?

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 pm

In today with 25k per year and first year books!! =)
Although I sort of want to move out of CA, I am definitely considering the school.

mapro

Postby mapro » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Well I just got a wait-list letter today from McGeorge I went complete back on 12/12.

km23

Postby km23 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Last edited by km23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:21 pm

DR today... anyone get a DR today? i applied FT with the option of PT

mapro

Postby mapro » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 pm

My decision was rendered yesterday my status checker changed to decision has been made and I received the wait-list letter today, I live near Sacramento which is why I got the letter so fast.

Temka

Postby Temka » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:41 am

mapro wrote:My decision was rendered yesterday my status checker changed to decision has been made and I received the wait-list letter today, I live near Sacramento which is why I got the letter so fast.

+1

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:45 am

Mine was rendered on the 15th and my app was in the last week of January. I live pretty close to Sac as well, explaining my quick receipt of the admission packet.

izzytovar

Postby izzytovar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:57 am

Anyone's status tracker say they were sent an acknowledgement e-mail and never receive it? I have checked my spam and regular box but no e-mail.

izzytovar

Postby izzytovar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Status tracker just went decision rendered. Live in Colorado, so wait may be over this weekend. :shock:

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:26 pm

Withdrew via email (hope that works) w/ fully scholly. Good luck guys:)

star10

Postby star10 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:10 pm

Attending the March 5th Legal Scholar Day...

I got a very nice scholarship from them but am really apprehensive about going back to Sacramento (I grew up there) so I think March 5th will have a huge effect on my McGeorge vs USF decision

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:39 pm

got my wait list letter today... oh well, at least its not a rejection.

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:23 pm

star10 wrote:Attending the March 5th Legal Scholar Day...

I got a very nice scholarship from them but am really apprehensive about going back to Sacramento (I grew up there) so I think March 5th will have a huge effect on my McGeorge vs USF decision

I'm probably going to the scholars day on the 5th as well. The scholarship sure is tempting. what didn't you like about sac?

star10

Postby star10 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:54 pm

Don't get me wrong, its not that I dislike Sacramento at all but in a way I see going back there to McGeorge as almost a step backward. Maybe this is a bit warped thinking since I moved to so cal when I was 18 for undergrad...idk. I think i need to get it through my head that moving back for school is way different than if i was moving back because i was unemployed etc. Still I feel like part of the excitement of law school includes moving to and exploring a new city.

With that in mind, here would be a few pro's and cons. Note, I live about a half hour away from the campus so I by no means am anywhere close to an expert on the immediate surrounding area or even DT Sac. So this is a more on the general area...

pro:
-people are very friendly and down to earth. There is a real sense of community and the feeling people have your back
-cheap COL....A lot of friends I know have their own bedrooms for about $500 a month. If you are from SB/LA/SF/OC and pay 800-1200 a month, this will be a welcome change.
-growth...I remember when I was in high school there were a lot of things Sac didn't have (Cheesecake factory, ikea, etc) Now you will be hard pressed to not be able to find your favorite chain store or restaurant
-close enough to cool places to make a day trip....SF, Napa, Tahoe, hell even Reno can be fun

con:
-not super exciting in terms of things to do. Although this may be biased since when I lived there I wasn't of legal drinking age and actively scouting out clubs. My mom says DT is growing in terms of art showings, events, and clubs but I take this with a grain of salt since it comes from my mom
-weather...Super cold and foggy all winter and in the 100's in the summer. Ugh...

I don't know what else to say, my mind is drawing a blank...it's been a long week...Obviously this is not an extensive list but I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about the area to the best of my abilities.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:03 am

star10 wrote:Don't get me wrong, its not that I dislike Sacramento at all but in a way I see going back there to McGeorge as almost a step backward. Maybe this is a bit warped thinking since I moved to so cal when I was 18 for undergrad...idk. I think i need to get it through my head that moving back for school is way different than if i was moving back because i was unemployed etc. Still I feel like part of the excitement of law school includes moving to and exploring a new city.

With that in mind, here would be a few pro's and cons. Note, I live about a half hour away from the campus so I by no means am anywhere close to an expert on the immediate surrounding area or even DT Sac. So this is a more on the general area...

pro:
-people are very friendly and down to earth. There is a real sense of community and the feeling people have your back
-cheap COL....A lot of friends I know have their own bedrooms for about $500 a month. If you are from SB/LA/SF/OC and pay 800-1200 a month, this will be a welcome change.
-growth...I remember when I was in high school there were a lot of things Sac didn't have (Cheesecake factory, ikea, etc) Now you will be hard pressed to not be able to find your favorite chain store or restaurant
-close enough to cool places to make a day trip....SF, Napa, Tahoe, hell even Reno can be fun

con:
-not super exciting in terms of things to do. Although this may be biased since when I lived there I wasn't of legal drinking age and actively scouting out clubs. My mom says DT is growing in terms of art showings, events, and clubs but I take this with a grain of salt since it comes from my mom
-weather...Super cold and foggy all winter and in the 100's in the summer. Ugh...

I don't know what else to say, my mind is drawing a blank...it's been a long week...Obviously this is not an extensive list but I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about the area to the best of my abilities.

+1. I lived in Sacramento and everything above is 100% true. Sacramento is a small city that is built upon a strong community. Many people who live there grew up in the Greater Sacramento and care a lot about the city so it definitely has a town feeling. For some this is appealing, however others may like diversity and meeting people from all over. Nightlife, therefore, becomes pretty disappointing after awhile since its the same locals. Overall, I enjoyed my time there because I was a pretty laid back guy and spent most my time going out with my gf. There's a lot of outdoors stuff to do and the community is very active. Also, at the time the Kings were awesome but now they're rebuilding. You still have a minor league baseball team, The Rivercats, which is a very affordable, relaxing, and enjoyable thing to do during the summer.

I would definitely suggest visiting McGeorge and spending a good amount of time (maybe a weekend?) in Sacramento before making your decision. Being a very regional school, you may end up in Sacramento for a significant portion of your life.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:49 am

star10 wrote:Don't get me wrong, its not that I dislike Sacramento at all but in a way I see going back there to McGeorge as almost a step backward. Maybe this is a bit warped thinking since I moved to so cal when I was 18 for undergrad...idk. I think i need to get it through my head that moving back for school is way different than if i was moving back because i was unemployed etc. Still I feel like part of the excitement of law school includes moving to and exploring a new city.

pro:

con:

I feel a similar way about San Diego and USD - I grew up there and it's a warped view that I still hold. I came up to Northern California for college and have been here since, and going back to SD feels like going BACK to SD.

It's hard to "go home" and find a fresh mindset. However, I'm starting to have faith that if I decide to go with USD, that the time I spend on campus, studying, meeting new people, and living where I want (as opposed to my parent's house) will make it hard to feel like it's "coming back".

However, I don't think Sac is terribly exciting....haha, but McGeorge's campus was fairly nice and COL is cheap, not to mention there seems to be a feeling like they place well in the area.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:08 pm

pro:

con:

You are right about there not being much of a night life in Sacramento. I lived in NorCal, moved to LA, and then decided to visit my friends in Sac one weekend. It was complete shit! Honestly though, it is hard to beat LA night life.

donzoli

Postby donzoli » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Does anyone here have connections to UOP(family members alumni), if so, do you feel it affected your scholarship offer?

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:10 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:

pro:

con:

You are right about there not being much of a night life in Sacramento. I lived in NorCal, moved to LA, and then decided to visit my friends in Sac one weekend. It was complete shit! Honestly though, it is hard to beat LA night life.

I just visited LA and nothing beats LA nightlife, except maybe vegas lol....but anyway..the dudes mom is right.
I just moved back to sac from SF and I'll honestly tell you I have a much better time when I go out in sac then I ever do in SF...the clubs are just awesome in sac IMO

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:36 pm

jmaan wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:

pro:

con:

I just visited LA and nothing beats LA nightlife, except maybe vegas lol....but anyway..the dudes mom is right.
I just moved back to sac from SF and I'll honestly tell you I have a much better time when I go out in sac then I ever do in SF...the clubs are just awesome in sac IMO

I think the Park is the only cool place to go in Sac. Maybe things changed in the past year or so. Anyways, that has nothing to do with McGeorge lol.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”