McGeorge

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
anothernancydrew

Re: McGeorge

Postby anothernancydrew » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:51 pm

Complete 12/22, Decision 01/07

Got the big envelope today. I got $18,000/year and books, but contingent on top 1/3--not sure how I feel about that.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:18 pm

i have been complete since 12/15 with no change in status... I figure since I am borderline for their FT, but did select I would be interested in PT, it will take a while for a decision to be rendered.... I have not even gone into review yet... so idk what is going on.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:36 pm

complete 01/05, decision letter mailed today

ahk!

Postby ahk! » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:51 pm

01/19/10 - "Decision Rendered"

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 pm

got my acceptance packet in the mail today. first acceptance so i am really happy. 18k/year and books with top third of class requirement.

swiard

Postby swiard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:40 pm

in with $20,000/yr (top 1/3 gpa requirement) plus books

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:48 pm

Decision rendered today as well

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:51 pm

mango26 wrote:got my acceptance packet in the mail today. first acceptance so i am really happy. 18k/year and books with top third of class requirement.

+1 congrats mango!

ahk!

Postby ahk! » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:46 pm

in today with $ and books

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:37 pm

in today with kennedy schollar, $$$ and books

gswfan

Postby gswfan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:02 am

So for those of you that are accepted, how likely is it you will be attending? I went to undergrad near Sacramento so I'm familiar with the area (originally from the bay area). I hear a lot of mixed reviews on this school especially since it fell out of the top 100.

star10

Postby star10 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:04 am

I'm in with 25,000 plus books...if I decided to go, I'd try and negotiate a bit more.

As for attending, I'm not sure yet. I'm from Sacramento originally so I'm having mixed feelings on attending. On one hand, it would be nice to be closer to family than I have been during undergrad. On the other hand, well, I lived 18 years in the place... it definitely diminishes the fun and surprise of moving to a new exciting city for law school.

I'm holding out for Hastings and Davis, but also am also strongly considering USF. I really would like to end up in the bay area so I need to do a little more research on how McGeorge grads place there. From what I hear its not very well, but that is mostly TLS hearsay which seems to be biased and often negative towards both schools. Still, sticker price on USF and San Fran COL seems to be a bit high for what you are getting, which seems very similar to McGeorge education-wise...

Arghhh...so conflicted! Any opinions welcome...

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:10 am

star10 wrote:I'm in with 25,000 plus books...if I decided to go, I'd try and negotiate a bit more.

As for attending, I'm not sure yet. I'm from Sacramento originally so I'm having mixed feelings on attending. On one hand, it would be nice to be closer to family than I have been during undergrad. On the other hand, well, I lived 18 years in the place... it definitely diminishes the fun and surprise of moving to a new exciting city for law school.

I'm holding out for Hastings and Davis, but also am also strongly considering USF. I really would like to end up in the bay area so I need to do a little more research on how McGeorge grads place there. From what I hear its not very well, but that is mostly TLS hearsay which seems to be biased and often negative towards both schools. Still, sticker price on USF and San Fran COL seems to be a bit high for what you are getting, which seems very similar to McGeorge education-wise...

I'd go to hastings, if I were you. If you don't get in to there or davis, I'd pick pacific over usf. you prob got better fin aid from pacific too?

1WingedAngel

Postby 1WingedAngel » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:20 am

I'm in on 01/20 with $15k/yr +free books & transit fees to visit. Most likely, I won't be attending here - but they earn a special place in my very heart for their quick decision and being my first acceptance letter. The joy of getting your first admit letter in the mail... it made my day. :)

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 am

star10 wrote:I'm in with 25,000 plus books...if I decided to go, I'd try and negotiate a bit more.

Apply to Santa Clara if u haven't already and go there if u don't get Davis/Hastings

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm in a similar situation, although I suspect my numbers are slightly lower since you scholly is a bit larger, and thusly you likely have a better shot at Hastings/Davis. USF offered about 1/2 the scholarship that McGeorge has.

From what I gather, McGeorge has a pretty good reputation and placement in Sacramento. With the scholarship, low COL, and what I would assume is a slightly less competitive (being that it's not as desirable or large as San Francisco) market. It doesn't seem like a bad choice, but I operate under the assumption that I'd get a job and stay there for a number of years. Sac is a big enough city with some nice/fun areas, but I've been living in San Francisco for about a year and the idea of leaving for Sac longer term isn't as appealing.

USF is going to be more expensive due to higher COL and lower scholarship, but I do get the idea that they have a decent alumni network in the city. What concerns me about USF, really, is that competition for jobs. I just feel that more schools in the area, plus a desirable area is going to increase the competition for each job.

I'm really hoping for Davis even though I'll likely pay sticker, or close to it.

star10

Postby star10 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:23 pm

Yeah Satchmo, I'm in the same boat with Davis and Hastings. I really want to go, but sticker price is inevitable...which I think I'm more or less ok with.

I actually got $0 from USF, which was surprising since comparable numbers to mine got around 18,000 last year on LSN. I emailed the Dean and they said they don't negotiate but they would reevaluate my file in April (Seems like a no to me...)

I did apply to SCU. I think I have a decent chance to get in, but I doubt any merit money. Basically it's probably going to come down to Loyola, SCU, USD, or USF full-price vs McGeorge 25,000 scholly/yr. I took out a good amount of loans in undergrad since I paid for school myself, so that plus 180,000 for law school is overwelming to think about...

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 pm

star10 wrote:Yeah Satchmo, I'm in the same boat with Davis and Hastings. I really want to go, but sticker price is inevitable...which I think I'm more or less ok with.

I actually got $0 from USF, which was surprising since comparable numbers to mine got around 18,000 last year on LSN. I emailed the Dean and they said they don't negotiate but they would reevaluate my file in April (Seems like a no to me...)

I did apply to SCU. I think I have a decent chance to get in, but I doubt any merit money. Basically it's probably going to come down to Loyola, SCU, USD, or USF full-price vs McGeorge 25,000 scholly/yr. I took out a good amount of loans in undergrad since I paid for school myself, so that plus 180,000 for law school is overwelming to think about...

I think SCU will toss you some $ if UoP is giving you 25k a year, but the requirements are tougher. SCU gave me 10k to UoP's 18k... not sure if that ratio is worth anything, I'm a poor kid from the East Coast.

But why Hastings and Davis? Even as a Cali resident, the price keeps on a'climbin, and with the debt you already have.. Cal system seems like a gamble.

Anyone going to a Legal Scholars day? If so, which one? Might do March 5th.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:31 pm

i think i might go to the march 5th or 19th legal scholar's day. the little flier thing in the acceptance packet says they will pay transportation costs and that an invitation will be sent soon. has anyone received this invitation? do you know how much travel cost they will cover?

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:12 pm

star10 wrote:Yeah Satchmo, I'm in the same boat with Davis and Hastings. I really want to go, but sticker price is inevitable...which I think I'm more or less ok with.

You got nothing at USF but $25k/year at McGeorge?

I got $27k 1-time at USF, but $18k/year at McGeorge...

I got into Loyola today with $0, and as of now I'm $0 at USD.

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:10 pm

mango26 wrote:i think i might go to the march 5th or 19th legal scholar's day. the little flier thing in the acceptance packet says they will pay transportation costs and that an invitation will be sent soon. has anyone received this invitation? do you know how much travel cost they will cover?

I'm wondering about this too. You'd think they'd get into the specifics soon considering the first date is a month away.

I read somewhere, I think on one of the other McGeorge posts, that they reimburse you for travel costs. Don't hold me to this, but if you look around enough there's a forum with handful of people who did the Legal Scholars day last cycle.

Actually, I did the looking for you. Scroll down a bit, someone mentions reimbursing:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=109

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:22 pm

i emailed them yesterday and they said that they just mailed out more information about the scholar's days, so people should be getting that in the mail soon

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:04 am

This paid transportation to legal scholars day is pretty sweet! I'm definitely going :-) I just booked my flight.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:09 am

BruinsFan wrote:This paid transportation to legal scholars day is pretty sweet! I'm definitely going :-) I just booked my flight.

I would go if I could afford the 99 dollar hotel room. im so poor right now

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 am

BruinsFan wrote:This paid transportation to legal scholars day is pretty sweet! I'm definitely going :-) I just booked my flight.

They'll reimburse you up to $500 for plane tickets+2 days rental car, coach only though. Hotel is not included.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”