McGeorge

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nickc8

Re: McGeorge

Postby nickc8 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 pm

I think McGeorge is turning out to be my best option with regards to scholarship offer, COL, local connections, etc. I wonder how many people, on average, lose their scholarship after the first year.

Does anyone know the tuition for 2010-2011?

kgb49

Postby kgb49 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:24 pm

nickc8 wrote: I wonder how many people, on average, lose their scholarship after the first year.

iam guessing 2/3 of the people loose their scholarships :lol:

Niki

Postby Niki » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm very excited about McGeorge from what I've heard so far. I'm also really impressed with their admissions staff. I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions on areas to live in and the pros and cons of sacramento. Also has anyone visited?

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:41 pm

I think that if you do not live on campus, then you would probably live at least a few miles away. The area that surrounds the school does not seem to be the greatest, this was just an assumption I made, however. I am going back for the LSD on Friday, and might try to look at some areas while I'm there.

Is anyone attending on the 19th?

Niki

Postby Niki » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:49 pm

tadams86 wrote:I think that if you do not live on campus, then you would probably live at least a few miles away. The area that surrounds the school does not seem to be the greatest, this was just an assumption I made, however. I am going back for the LSD on Friday, and might try to look at some areas while I'm there.

Is anyone attending on the 19th?

If you go, would you mind letting me know about areas you saw? A friend of mine from CA recommended living in Davis because of the farmer's markets, things to do, etc but I'm concerned that might be too far of a commute with traffic.

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Davis is a solid 30-45+ min drive depending on traffic. I would probably not recommend this, plus I would imagine the COL in Davis is much higher than parts of Sac.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:55 pm

I lived in Sac a few years and found the Arden area as a nice place to live in (told myself I'd live there if I attended UOP). I believe it's no more than a 10min drive to McGeorge from there. The Arden area is right outside of Sacramento State University so it has plenty of apartment complexes catered to students. Also since it is next to the university so you will have access to many restaurants, activities, and the Arden Fair Mall. Pricing shouldn't be too bad, I remember it was about $1,500 for a fabulous 2 br on a complex that included a pool, basketball courts, tennis courts, weight room, etc. Prices may have changed since though.

For those who don't mind commuting, Natomas and Pocket are areas to consider. Roseville is a city that is about 20mins north of sac and is great for families or people who prefer the suburbs.

sizzle04

Postby sizzle04 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Anyone else receive their insidepacific.edu login info? I'm able to access mine, but can't view the Financial Aid section. It tells me I'm not authorized. I wonder if they even received my FAFSA! :?

Niki

Postby Niki » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:24 pm

sizzle04 wrote:Anyone else receive their insidepacific.edu login info? I'm able to access mine, but can't view the Financial Aid section. It tells me I'm not authorized. I wonder if they even received my FAFSA! :?

I just got it in the mail yesterday (I'm in Denver, CO) I will check to see if I can open the Financial Aid part.

GradPath2011

Postby GradPath2011 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:26 pm

So is anyone here planning on working at a law firm when you graduate?

shanoodle

Postby shanoodle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:00 pm

I checked my mail today and almost passed out when I received a thin white envelope from McGeorge. However, it turned out to be a request for my tax return and verification worksheet. I'm under the impression that it's not indicative of an acceptance decision. The financial aid office is separate from the admissions office. Although, why bother to collect paperwork on students they aren't at least considering accepting?

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:06 pm

just signed up for april 23rd admitted students day, i'll most likely have a deposit down somewhere else, up to mcgeorge to blow me away

hopefully i'll see some TLSers there

dank

Postby dank » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:12 am

Has anyone been accepted to the part-time program yet?

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:29 pm

I sent in a request to have the GPA stipulation removed. They thanked me for my "thoughtful email" and said that I would have a decision in about two weeks. Wish me luck!

smreamer

Postby smreamer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Another area to consider living in is Midtown. There are not too many large complexes, just smaller units with 6 - 8 apartments. I have known a couple of people who have lived in the area from about E Street to I Street, between 20th - 26th. Rent for a one bedroom, I believe, was about $700. It it conventiently located within walking distance, or a short taxi ride to bars, restuarants, and clubs. Its about 5 minutes from the Arden area and about a 5 minute drive to McGeorge on 99 South.

I live in Sacramento, so let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:46 pm

smreamer wrote:Another area to consider living in is Midtown. There are not too many large complexes, just smaller units with 6 - 8 apartments. I have known a couple of people who have lived in the area from about E Street to I Street, between 20th - 26th. Rent for a one bedroom, I believe, was about $700. It it conventiently located within walking distance, or a short taxi ride to bars, restuarants, and clubs. Its about 5 minutes from the Arden area and about a 5 minute drive to McGeorge on 99 South.

I live in Sacramento, so let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have.

+1
I wouldnt plan on living in the neighborhood surrounding Mcgeorge. The school is pretty much in the middle of of the city so you can live anywhere without much of a hassle. Nicer/Safer places with decent prices include: Arden, Howe, Anywhere in Elk Grove, Downtown (more expensive but cool for going out and stuff)

smreamer

Postby smreamer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:53 pm

tadams86 wrote:Davis is a solid 30-45+ min drive depending on traffic. I would probably not recommend this, plus I would imagine the COL in Davis is much higher than parts of Sac.

As someone who attended UC Davis and lived in Davis, I can confirm the COL is definitely higher in Davis than in Sacramento. However, most of the more expensive housing in Davis is close to or within walking distance of the University. So, you may be able to find something off of Mace that is relatively new and not as expensive as other prime locations in Davis. For the complex in which I lived a 3 bedroom was $2100, 2 bedroom $1800 and a one bedroom was about $1000/month. That was in 2007 - 2008 so prices have most likely gone up.

The commute to and from Davis is not that bad, but it can definitely be about 30 - 45 minutes. During the winter months the Yolo Causeway can sometimes be dangerous with wind and heavy fog. But it is, of course, totally doable if Davis is where you want to live.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:54 pm

smreamer wrote:
tadams86 wrote:Davis is a solid 30-45+ min drive depending on traffic. I would probably not recommend this, plus I would imagine the COL in Davis is much higher than parts of Sac.

As someone who attended UC Davis and lived in Davis, I can confirm the COL is definitely higher in Davis than in Sacramento. However, most of the more expensive housing in Davis is close to or within walking distance of the University. So, you may be able to find something off of Mace that is relatively new and not as expensive as other prime locations in Davis. For the complex in which I lived a 3 bedroom was $2100, 2 bedroom $1800 and a one bedroom was about $1000/month. That was in 2007 - 2008 so prices have most likely gone up.

The commute to and from Davis is not that bad, but it can definitely be about 30 - 45 minutes. During the winter months the Yolo Causeway can sometimes be dangerous with wind and heavy fog. But it is, of course, totally doable if Davis is where you want to live.

I have a friend who's a 1L at McGeorge and lives in davis. It's possible but he said he's definitely looking for a place in sac next year

Niki

Postby Niki » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Smreamer- do you like living in Davis?

smreamer

Postby smreamer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 pm

Niki wrote:Smreamer- do you like living in Davis?

Well, I am now living back in Sacramento but I absolutely loved living there when I attended UC Davis. I loved the college town environment and it definitely has a high quality of life - very environmentally friendly town, lots of bikers and bike paths, open space, great farmers market, people are generally warm and friendly.

However, having said that, if I was not attending UC Davis for law school, I honestly would not want to live there. Being that it is a collge town, and there are so many undergraduates - the undergraduates rule almost every scene (except for the outskirts/suburb parts where elementary schools and families reign supreme). From the social life aspect, the undergraduates take over the bars and clubs. So, for me, having been there and done that, I no longer wish to socialize with that crowd (not that there is anything wrong with them). I do know that Davis grad students have their own hangouts in Davis -certain bars on certain nights, so it is not like all the fun spots are overrun with undergrads. But still, if i was attending McGeorge I would prefer to be around McGeorge students in a city like Sacramento where there are more people and there is plenty to do. And just a random FYI, while speaking with a first year Davis student a couple of weeks ago, he informed me that Davis law students often come to Sacramento to go out.

I realize that my response centers on the social aspect of living in Davis and that is because, for me, I believe that is the one downfall of living in Davis (besides the commute), while attending McGeorge.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:54 pm

nickc8 wrote:I think McGeorge is turning out to be my best option with regards to scholarship offer, COL, local connections, etc. I wonder how many people, on average, lose their scholarship after the first year.

Do they have a uniform GPA req? Eg) San Diego does top 30% for all of their scholarship recipients. However, 50% of all students get scholarships. When you figure that at least a few non-scholarship recipients will occupy the top 30%, you can see that about 1/2 of all scholly recipients will lose their scholly.

If McGeorge does top 50% for some, top 25% for others, and no GPA req at all for some, then it will be impossible to estimate.

Niki

Postby Niki » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm

smreamer wrote:
Niki wrote:Smreamer- do you like living in Davis?

Well, I am now living back in Sacramento but I absolutely loved living there when I attended UC Davis. I loved the college town environment and it definitely has a high quality of life - very environmentally friendly town, lots of bikers and bike paths, open space, great farmers market, people are generally warm and friendly.

However, having said that, if I was not attending UC Davis for law school, I honestly would not want to live there. Being that it is a collge town, and there are so many undergraduates - the undergraduates rule almost every scene (except for the outskirts/suburb parts where elementary schools and families reign supreme). From the social life aspect, the undergraduates take over the bars and clubs. So, for me, having been there and done that, I no longer wish to socialize with that crowd (not that there is anything wrong with them). I do know that Davis grad students have their own hangouts in Davis -certain bars on certain nights, so it is not like all the fun spots are overrun with undergrads. But still, if i was attending McGeorge I would prefer to be around McGeorge students in a city like Sacramento where there are more people and there is plenty to do. And just a random FYI, while speaking with a first year Davis student a couple of weeks ago, he informed me that Davis law students often come to Sacramento to go out.

I realize that my response centers on the social aspect of living in Davis and that is because, for me, I believe that is the one downfall of living in Davis (besides the commute), while attending McGeorge.

Do you enjoy living in Sacramento? Are you originally from there?

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:52 pm

swheat wrote:
nickc8 wrote:I think McGeorge is turning out to be my best option with regards to scholarship offer, COL, local connections, etc. I wonder how many people, on average, lose their scholarship after the first year.

Do they have a uniform GPA req? Eg) San Diego does top 30% for all of their scholarship recipients. However, 50% of all students get scholarships. When you figure that at least a few non-scholarship recipients will occupy the top 30%, you can see that about 1/2 of all scholly recipients will lose their scholly.

If McGeorge does top 50% for some, top 25% for others, and no GPA req at all for some, then it will be impossible to estimate.

I got a sholarship from San Diego that only required top 50% for renewal.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:53 pm

yo! wrote:
swheat wrote:

I got a sholarship from San Diego that only required top 50% for renewal.

That's cool. What is the value if you don't mind me asking?

Last year everybody on TLS said theirs was 30%. 50% is much more reasonable. Hell I probably would have gone there if my scholarship had been top 50%

gswfan

Postby gswfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Went to LSD last Friday and was generally unimpressed. Although they were very nice, red flags started going up in my head about a school that really wants you to attend (aka wants your money.) The way they acted reminds me of a department store.

But other than that, it was a nice campus with friendly people. The library is still being built but should be done soon.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”